Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA war over World Cup 2018?

• 09-08-2007 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Last week a man who no-one doubts (I think its fair to say) Franz Beckenbauer was talking about the nation that should host 2018 world cup, he was unequivocal in giving his backing to England.
    There is no better country in Europe to host the World Cup in 2018. England is the favourite."

He added: "The most important thing is to end the rotation and bring the tournament back to Europe.

"The Premier League at the moment is the best league in Europe and the stadiums are outstanding.

"In my opinion, there is only one very serious candidate and it is England."

Well its looks like Der Kaisers' words have finally reached the 'new world' as FIFA VP the corrupt Austin "Jack" Warner has weighed in with as hostile an attack on England as its possible to imagine (in football administration terms!).
    "If the World Cup were to go to Europe, I'm quite sure, with the English luck as it is, they won't get it," Warner told BBC World Service.

"There are moves to give it to England. I must fight that."

Warner, a member of the world football body's executive committee since 1983, added: "It will be Italy, Spain, or even France who will get the World Cup if it goes to Europe.

"Nobody in Europe likes England. England invented the sport but has never had made any impact on world football."

It is believed Fifa president Sepp Blatter is set to end the World Cup rotation policy when the executive committee meet later in the year.

Instead, the association are likely to approve a format that only precludes the continents that held the previous two World Cups from bidding again, which in 2018 would be Africa and South America.

Warner, president of Concacaf, added that he would battle to bring international football's premier tournament to his region, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

"I really don't believe that we should just lay down and play dead to anyone who wants to take the World Cup from Concacaf," he said.

While he is also out to protect his own patch, by 2018 it'll have been 52 years since England hosted its one and so far only WC. I think its about time the inventors of the game got another bite of the apple.

Obviously Beckenbauer is not a member of FIFA and so has no formal say but he is bound to have some influence while Warner is a nobody from nowhere who was party to dubious practices.

Could get interseting, I hope Platini does'nt have a say in this!

Mike.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

2014 should go the Brazil or the Argies and the 2018 should go to Austrailia/NZ.
    2022 back to europe and in my opinion should go the one or 2 of the eastern block countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

Should definatly go to England, have the best and safest stadiums throughout the world and there stadiums are only going to get better. Warner makes no sense what so ever and after the shambles of the cricket world cup i dont think it will going anywhere near the caribbean

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Nobody in Europe likes England. England invented the sport but has never had made any impact on world football.

To be honest, that is a totally ridiculous thing to say, especially for someone in such a position. It's very childish as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Just read that Warner quote, absolutely crazy statement. How did that gimp get a high position in the world's governing football body?
    Engurland is a logical choice for the 2018 world cup, they've got the facilities and the infrastructure to do it with ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He's right though.

What HAVE England done since '66? Over forty years ago.

They have had no impact on the modern game.

The African and Asian nations have arguably had a bigger impact, in fact, English teams are pimping themselves all over the ever growing Asian market for the game.

I can see Beckenbauer's point though, although I think his suggestion that the Premiership is the strongest league in Europe is laughable. England probably does boast the better, more modern stadia.

I reckon we'll have some semblance of a proper stadium here in 2018, why not launch a joint bid. We could have games in Croker, the new place, and The Maze.

Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield MkII and other places on the mainland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

the 2018 should go to Austrailia/NZ.

Boy I look foward to that!

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Boy I look foward to that!

Mike

You think it wont happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

just shows how messed up FIFA is these days, when an idiot who comes out with a statement like that can be found sitting on the executive committee. still, there's so many places that deserve a world cup and all, but seeing as they are the inventors of the damn sport i think it's time England got a chance to host it again. Warner deserves a boot up the the rear end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

seansouth wrote:

Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield MkII and other places on the mainland.

with a boards name liek seansouth I'm hoping your taking the p by saying 'mainland'. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

wasnt he the idiot who touted his tickets for the world cup in germany? England should host it, sure they could host it tomorrow if necessary.

to be honest if he made that same comment about a country in africa, the whole world would be up in arms at him and fifa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

joe316 wrote:
    wasnt he the idiot who touted his tickets for the world cup in germany? England should host it, sure they could host it tomorrow if necessary.

yup same guy. fined $1million for it apparently, and has yet only paid one quarter of that, and he is still allowed to sit on the executive committee. FIFA is a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

seansouth wrote:
    although I think his suggestion that the Premiership is the strongest league in Europe is laughable.
    It's certainly the most watched.

That Warner lad is a complete spanner. To suggest that Spain, Italy or even France should stage the World Cup in 2018 is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

where does he expect it to be hosted? only the states would be anyway capable and that tournament was completely soulless event and the atlanta games were even worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

England should be allowed host it. They have many great stadiums with top facilities and security. I can see no better candidate really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Managers the world over are ****ting themselves it doesnt go to the Caribean.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Warner is the second most corrupt man in football - i don't care what he says - he is at the centre of what i hate about football. Screw him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

CONCACAF has two counties capable. One is a busted flush - USA, the other could do it at a push but is a makeweight on the world stage - Mexico.

Mike.

siochain wrote:
    with a boards name liek seansouth I'm hoping your taking the p by saying 'mainland'. :)
    On a board obsessed with the English game, I couldn't be more right.
    It's certainly the most watched.
    I fail to see the relevance tbh.

Sky have the best marketing team out there, I'll give you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seansouth wrote:
    He's right though.

What HAVE England done since '66? Over forty years ago.

They have had no impact on the modern game..

He didnt say modern though, he said ever. Anyway, the achievments of the national team shouldnt be the only factor or even the most important. Otherwise what the hell did the US do to deserve to host one. France had only won the European CHampionships before they hosted and won the WC. Japan/SK arent exactly worlld footballing superpowers, As for SA.

England have the Best facilities, a top league, have won the WC, have potential to win it again, and havnt hosted , as above by the time 2018 rolls around, the tournament in 52 years. It well deserves to be held there.

mike65 wrote:
    CONCACAF has two counties capable. One is a busted flush - USA, the other could do it at a push but is a makeweight on the world stage - Mexico.

Mike.

Both have had it in the last 20 years though.
    seansouth wrote:
    On a board obsessed with the English game, I couldn't be more right..

Dont you forget it.:-)

Roy O'Donavan to partner Rooney for England in the next WC.!

Stekelly wrote:
    He didnt say modern though, he said ever. Anyway, the achievments of the national team shouldnt be the only factor or even the most important.
    Well, it's a competition for national teams. There is a continent spanning tournament called the World Club Championships, didn't Liverpool win it as part of their famous five-trophy season a while ago?

Stekelly wrote:
    Otherwise what the hell did the US do to deserve to host one....Japan/SK arent exactly worlld footballing superpowers, As for SA.
    What do you mean 'deserve'? You know as well as anyone that FIFA picked both the US and Japan/SK as nothing more than a money-making venture.

$$$$$$

Also to try and promote the game in the US
    Stekelly wrote:
    France had only won the European CHampionships before they hosted and won the WC.
    :confused:

This, as you know, had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to award France the WC in '98. In fact, Germany won the Euro's in '96 in England, France didn't win the Euro's until 2000 in Holland/Belgium.

So HA! :D

Anyway, even if France did win it in '96, you think FIFA picks the hosts a mere two years before the tournament?
    Stekelly wrote:
    England have the Best facilities, a top league, have won the WC, have potential to win it again, and havnt hosted , as above by the time 2018 rolls around, the tournament in 52 years. It well deserves to be held there.
    If the facilities, league standard and potential to win it again, what about Spain? By the time 2018 rolls around it won't have been there since '82, which is thirty-six years. What should the gap be? Mexico hosted it twice in sixteen years ('70 and '86).

Also, Spain and England have bottled a similar number of tournaments;)

Stekelly wrote:
    Roy O'Donavan to partner Rooney for England in the next WC.!
    Roy will be playing for the newly independant People's Republic of Cork in the next WC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

and as for the "england may have invented football" thing....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/5076326.stm

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

This is no more than Jack Warner complaining that his cash cow has just bolted. Jack Warner is corrupt and has no credibility at all, the only reason FIFA do not get rid of him, is that he knows where all the bodies are buried (and always votes for Sepp Blatter).

Panorama did a number on him and he got very wound up by it, this is probably his pathetic attempt at revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

England should be given that World Cup.
    (maybe England,Scotland,Wales joint bid?)
    They wont have help it over 50 years, the states will probably have held it twice in 20 years at that stage (did i hear they're holding another one, or dream that!?).
    They tick all the boxes for me. People who are passionate for the game. Good Stadiums. Good security. Good infrastructure. Capable of winning it (although not a deal breaker). Don't really think that Italy or Spain should be considered until they get a grip of their crowd problems. Same for the Eastern lock countries.

Definately think they should host it again.

I reckon a UK bid should go in for sure.... If it would strengthen the claims to hold it in England, id be all for Scotland and Wales joining forces to bolster the bid - it would be good for everyone involved and for once, the British wouldnt have to fly for games :)

You cant count on both hands the number of great stadiums in the UK... we have 3 stadiums in Scotland that would easily meet the standards (Ibrox, parkhead, and Hampden). London has the olympics to look forward to, They just held a Champions League final in Glasgow..... its got it all going for it so i dont see why anyone would oppose it.

OK, first of all, you can forget a joint bid involving England.

Second of all, all three Scottish stadia mentioned are in Glasgow, there is no way they'd have more than two stadia in the same city hosting games, the logistics would be an absolute nightmare tbh.

Third of all, I doubt they'd allow the three teams to qualify, so there'd have to be some form of 'Home Championship' revival as a mini-qualification tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Didnt they scrap that the host nation qualifies automatically after Germany? (or did i dream that as well?!)

aaah i forgot about the 1 stadium per city thing... well spotted lads.

As for the UK national team - the idea was explored 2 years ago and Scotland vetod it, Wales i think were up for it.

The home tournament is long overdue for revival actually. I remember watching it as a wee boy and it does inspire some great memories....and some amazing games. I doubt there'd be the same level of violence as caused it to be abolished in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Didnt they scrap that the host nation qualifies automatically after Germany? (or did i dream that as well?!)

Don't know about that, but, to be honest, they need the host nation to be involved, without the host nations involvement national interest might fade and end up being bad for the competition.
    Having said that, three nations automatically qualifying would be ridiculous and I don't think England would need to have the support of Scotland and Wales for any bid it might put in.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Can't imagine the host nation ever having to qualify.

They did scrap the holders automatically qualifying though a while back.
    The holders never qualified for the Euros.

They have scrapped the WC Holders automatically qualifying though. Brazil had to qualify for Germany '06. They nearly didn't.

oops my apologies, thats where i was getting confused!

even if you forget the joint bid, still doesn't take away from my point that England should definately be getting 2018 world cup

What about the Scandi countries.

Norway/Sweden would make a strong joint bid I reckon.

This seems to be the way it's going tbh.

Japan/SK, Holland/Belgium, Switz/Austria, Ukr/Poland.

I realise the last three are all Euros, but still.

What about the one in 2014, going to SAmerica. I wonder who'll get that.

I can't see the Argies getting it, after the controversey in '78.

I don't think Brazil have the facilities.

I wonder if Colombia would be ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

jank wrote:
    The 2018 should go to Austrailia/NZ.

Well don't forget that the NZ delegate voted against his FAs wishes to let Germany have the WC instead of South Africa. Add the fact that football is growing in Oz. Rugby and AFL are beginning to get worried as they are losing out on a pool of youngsters as a result.

With all the corruption going on within FIFA nothing would surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seansouth wrote:
    This, as you know, had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to award France the WC in '98. In fact, Germany won the Euro's in '96 in England, France didn't win the Euro's until 2000 in Holland/Belgium.

So HA! :D

Anyway, even if France did win it in '96, you think FIFA picks the hosts a mere two years before the tournament?.

When i said "only" I meant it as "all they had won in their histiry" as opposed to "just won". Without checking I went with my memory that france won it in 80 or 84.

seansouth wrote:
    Well, it's a competition for national teams. There is a continent spanning tournament called the World Club Championships, didn't Liverpool win it as part of their famous five-trophy season a while ago?

I am of the opinion that in a close run race/vote/throwing a dart in a board or whatever a FIFA meeting involves , the broader football picture should be taken into account.
    seansouth wrote:
    If the facilities, league standard and potential to win it again, what about Spain? By the time 2018 rolls around it won't have been there since '82, which is thirty-six years. What should the gap be? Mexico hosted it twice in sixteen years ('70 and '86)..

The arguement is for/against England, not "who deserves it as much/more than England. I just feel that England are deservign of a WC and all the other major European countries have had it since 82, so after a gap of 12 years England seem the best choice for Europe.

Dont really see the merits of a joint bid. These should be kept for the likes of smaller/less equiped countries to band together a for a bid. Ireland, N.Ireland, Scotland and Wales for example (although thats a non runner as there would be too many auto qualifiers). England are well capable of comfortably hosting on their own so I think, where possible, bids should be kept seperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

FIFA said previously that they favour single bids due to problems with Japan/South Korea, who gets to host what, auto qualifying etc.

For the Euro's it has to happen, or else it would be a 4 country rotation (england, france, spain, germany), even Portugal had some fairly woeful stadia being used.

Advertisement