Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anyone get the new Nile album?

• 09-08-2007 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Got a HMV gift card for my birthday, which I didn't use untill today, and snapped up the new Nile album.

Only listened to a few tracks so far, but it's sounding good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

Agreed, but hard to tell yet if it'll be better than their last album.
    Only listened to it once so far, and I'll definately be checking it out again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ramses wrote:
    Agreed, but hard to tell yet if it'll be better than their last album.
    Only listened to it once so far, and I'll definately be checking it out again soon.

I'm not sure, as I didn't listen to their previous album all that much compared to albums before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

I bought it yesterday, and I like it a lot. It's much slower in general than their previous stuff but there's still plenty of UUUUURRGH in there.

As He Creates, So He Destroys and Even The Gods Must Die are probably my favourites so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I find it was the variety of drumming on in their darkened shrines that got me hugely into nile . . . george kolias, i find quite boring and uninspiring i'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

do they really tune to A?

i saw a video and it was alright nothing to write home about it, i have annoying mates in the year above who got really into them and necrophagist:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fad wrote:
    do they really tune to A?

Yep.

Yep.

I tuned my standard bass to A once . .. fun times

^ the best nile video, nile at their best with jon vesano and tony laureano in the rhythm section

Morf wrote:
    I tuned my standard bass to A once . .. fun times

It's only a step below B, yet some people seem astounded that they play in A, as if it were really crazy or something. Sure even Dream Theater have a song in A. I think with bands like Meshuggah playing in F, tunings like A aren't much.

its the extended range bassists really pushing the boundries when it comes to low tunings

I suppose if you think there are boundaries in the first place? I don't like to think there are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Yep.
    I take it your talking about bass and not guitar:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No, they tune bass and guitar to A. Wouldn't make an enormous amount of sense to tune one to A and not the other.

No, they tune bass and guitar to A. Wouldn't make an enormous amount of sense to tune one to A and not the other.
    :D

well it may not be anything huge, them tuning to A but its not particularly common:)
    what i want is a telecaster in drop G :p (merely to see if its possible)

is Meshuggagh's excuse that the play 8 string guitars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

album ordered on the way

Fad wrote:
    :D

well it may not be anything huge, them tuning to A but its not particularly common:)
    what i want is a telecaster in drop G :p (merely to see if its possible)

is Meshuggagh's excuse that the play 8 string guitars?

it would be possible.

Hardly an excuse. Not as if they went "Holy shít! This thing has *eight* strings, guess we play lower now guys." Not exactly an accident that they play them.

its possible yes but it wouldnt be easy (well really easy)

Tuning a Telecaster to drop G would be perfectly easy. I've tuned 25.5" scale guitars that low before, and it's perfectly playable. You just got to get some rather beefy strings.

I'd say slap a set of these on, and you'd be tuning to G no bother. ;)

Those are rather monstrous alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Where do people learn to play guitar like that?? As i've started to get more into metal I'd love to be able to play the more extreme stuff...

Lose all your friends, buy a metronome and develop obsessive-compulsive disorder. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Got the new album there the other week.

I think its absolutely brilliant! Better than their last in my opinion.Listened to it a few times and still loving it.

Excellent!

Edit: Probably enjoying it even more because i always expect to be disappointed with new albums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's only a step below B, yet some people seem astounded that they play in A, as if it were really crazy or something. Sure even Dream Theater have a song in A. I think with bands like Meshuggah playing in F, tunings like A aren't much.

Yeah, but meshuggah do F on 8 strings, while nile do A on standard 6 strings.

As for the album, I picked it up about a week ago, my first nile album, pretty good stuff I must say.

mp3guy wrote:
    Yeah, but meshuggah do F on 8 strings, while nile do A on standard 6 strings.

So? A low tuning is a low tuning, it's still going through a guitar amp, it's still being used for heavy riffing and all that. I just think it's silly to think that A is so extreme when some bands go to an even further extreme than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I just think it's silly to think that A is so extreme when some bands go to an even further extreme than that.

Just because some bands tune to F really doesn't mean A is any less extreme. A lot of people don't know of such tunings, so of course they're going to view anything that low as extreme anyway.

Fair point. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

The chorus riff on "...from he who is in the water" is just so.... deadly. Pure headbanging stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

The chorus riff on "...from he who is in the water" is just so.... deadly. Pure headbanging stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lose all your friends, buy a metronome and develop obsessive-compulsive disorder. :p

And practise scales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

ok guitar geeks back to the music:D

album sounds good and solid, like all death metal probably takes a few spins to get it fully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Apparently Karl Sanders is going to be making another solo album soonish, which I can't wait for. The album he has out now (been out for a year or so) is brilliant, if you're into the non-metal interlude sections of the Nile albums I highly recommend picking it up.

Advertisement