Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel in Glaway

Options
  • 09-08-2007 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

any one know if there in claddagh yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah but why catch fish in crap infested water? Just go out to Salthill, at least the water is cleaner out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Farther west has lovely fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Nothing wrong with the mackeral from Nimmos Pier.

But of course, no thread about anything can go by without a negative JC comment...

EDIT: Yes, they're in and biting!!!

Fey! wrote:
    Nothing wrong with the mackeral from Nimmos Pier.

But of course, no thread about anything can go by without a negative JC comment...

EDIT: Yes, they're in and biting!!!

Ah would ya be quiet, I was only asking :)

I have to dip my hands in the surrounding water a lot to pick up ropes etc. and tbh the last thing i'd want is to be eating fish from there. I know it has no bearing on the fish meat but still, ewww

Fey ye fecker I was advising him to go out Salthill and catch fish where the water is cleaner - What's so neg about that?

Sorry, JC; a lot of your posts recently read as being negative.

Fishing of Nimmos Pier is, IMO, a much nicer experience than further out in Salthill. That's mainly due to the number of people who go to the two areas.

Also, the water at the end of the pier isn't that bad right now. Do you remember it 10 years ago?

It's a shame that a lot of the people who drink while they fish don't bring their bottles/cans/bags/rubbish away with them, or that there's no bin down there.

• Advertisement

Most fish who are healthy will not come that near the shore, fact. So the farther west you go the better. Not saying there is anything wrong with the fish from Nimmo's, just that one could probably do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Most fish who are healthy will not come that near the shore, fact.

Huh? :confused:
    Mackerel at this time of year are hunting sprat and drive them inshore, trap them against the rocks and gorge themselves. The mackerel at Nimmos are just as healthy as the ones at Salthill, the shoals move along the coast so the mackerel you get today in Nimmos could be in Salthill tomorrow.
    No difference at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

JohnCleary wrote:
    I have to dip my hands in the surrounding water a lot to pick up ropes etc. and tbh the last thing i'd want is to be eating fish from there. I know it has no bearing on the fish meat but still, ewww

John in all fairness id be be more worried about this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055126103
    than eating a mackerel caught around Nimmos.

padi89 wrote:
    John in all fairness id be be more worried about this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055126103
    than eating a mackerel caught around Nimmos.

:D:D:D

Fey! wrote:
    Sorry, JC; a lot of your posts recently read as being negative.

Fishing of Nimmos Pier is, IMO, a much nicer experience than further out in Salthill. That's mainly due to the number of people who go to the two areas.

Also, the water at the end of the pier isn't that bad right now. Do you remember it 10 years ago?

It's a shame that a lot of the people who drink while they fish don't bring their bottles/cans/bags/rubbish away with them, or that there's no bin down there.

Fey - Nagative? Meh, each to their own, I wouldn't be one to lose sleep over it tbh

I agree the setting/surrounding is much nicer, but the water there is still polluted, even if the water quality has much improved in the past 10 years, it's still polluted. Nothing 'wrong' with fishing there, I just wouldn't... just like you prefer fishing at Nimmo's, it's opinion

Still, at least ye're not fishing INSIDE the dock gates. Yes, i've seen people fishing INSIDE the dock gates... when the locl gates are closed... WHY anyone would do that just baffles me. Bad enough the water outside the gates, but the static, dead, utterly manky water inside there is, uh, mank... Don't think anything could even survive in there for lone :p

• Advertisement

Some people are negative, some positive! Each to their own!

You're right about inside the gates; I've seen a LOT of dead stuff floating about in there!!!

Does anyone remember the story about the gates being jammed open years ago, and when they checked it out it turned out to be a car wedged in there; the water in the docks was so dirty that nobody had spotted it in the 6 months it had been in there!!! Seemingly it had been stolen from a local garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Fey! wrote:
    You're right about inside the gates; I've seen a LOT of dead stuff floating about in there!!!

Does anyone remember the story about the gates being jammed open years ago, and when they checked it out it turned out to be a car wedged in there; the water in the docks was so dirty that nobody had spotted it in the 6 months it had been in there!!! Seemingly it had been stolen from a local garage.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Christ pay me 100eur + fuel + beer and i'll charter out my boat for the day, price includes skipper and crew! No more crowd's ... twice as good as no more nails... FACT! :D

JohnCleary wrote:
    Christ pay me 100eur + fuel + beer and i'll charter out my boat for the day, price includes skipper and crew! No more crowd's ... twice as good as no more nails... FACT! :D
    all i have to say to that is.. insurance..skipper licence, licence to carry passengers, vhf radio coarse, navigation coarse.. and at E100..bugger that, i'll go to spiddle and charter a boat and bring my own beer :D:D:D

all i have to say to that is.. insurance..skipper licence, licence to carry passengers, vhf radio coarse, navigation coarse.. and at E100..bugger that, i'll go to spiddle and charter a boat and bring my own beer :D:D:D

It was a joke :rolleyes:

All i'm missing from that list is insurance, probably the most important part really :D Well, i'm insured (Although not a requirment on boats), but just not to carry passengers COMMERCIALLY

-Edit- Just out of curiousity, how much on average does it cost to charter a boat for a day? There's a lovely one down the docks, Tarera Queen I think, someone told me it was 500eur a day eek...

JohnCleary wrote:
    -Edit- Just out of curiousity, how much on average does it cost to charter a boat for a day? There's a lovely one down the docks, Tarera Queen I think, someone told me it was 500eur a day eek...

aye 500 per day sounds right... now split that between 10 of ye and its only 50quid for the day..
    some charge per head from 55-60quid depending on numbers..

for the size of her though she isn't as stable as she looks.. seen her bounce around in force 5 weather(seems to be heavy at the bow too)
    - - - - -

this is what my freezer looks like after a session of macky bashing
    went out this evening with the fly rod.. great fun, was still catching still 11:30pm...

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/7909/11082007jl0.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement