Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor maintenance course

Options
  • 09-08-2007 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im really interested in doing a part time evening car maintenance course. Has anybody any suggestions or recommendations ? I should add I'm based in Dublin. I tried internet searches & checking locally etc.. with no real luck.

I just thought all you boardsies might have some suggestions. Please help

Thanks in adavance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

www.Nightcourses.com have a few but they seem abit out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hi all,

Im really interested in doing a part time evening car maintenance course. Has anybody any suggestions or recommendations ? I should add I'm based in Dublin. I tried internet searches & checking locally etc.. with no real luck.

Thanks in adavance

I think DIT run one through Bolton Street, or used to run one a while ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Bolton St. have extensive garages there. Main reception 014023000

FAS also do maintenance courses by night of varying levels. They do in Cork anyways. Haynes manuals also are good places to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I know that such a course was available in Dun Laoghaire VEC - evening course over 10 weeks. One of the girls in work did it and found it good. It's only DIY stuff, but if it saves you the odd visit to the garage then it could easily save you a few bob.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hi all,

Thanks in adavance

Where abouts in Dublin are you? Your local secondary probably has such a night course running. I did one a few years back, basic stuff but very useful and a good confidence builder for starting to service your own car. They guy who taught mine was excellent - you could ask him specifics after the class or during the break and he'd be only too happy to help. Knew lots of marque specific stuff too, he'd be able to tell you what to watch for when working on a particular model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

that would be something I'd be really interested in as well.

How about galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MAKE MY DAY

Thanks for those suggestions, based in South Dublin 14/16 area but would be willing to travel for the right course. I looked at that website already didn't see very much. Will continue to check locally and if anyone sees or hears anything maybe you could let me know. Thanks again

Thanks for those suggestions, based in South Dublin 14/16 area but would be willing to travel for the right course. I looked at that website already didn't see very much. Will continue to check locally and if anyone sees or hears anything maybe you could let me know. Thanks again

Your best bet is probably the internet. I started learning HTML all through a few good internet tutorials. I think Palmerstown Community School also ran a DIY car maintenance course.

Just found it on the net;

http://www.adulted.ie/courses.htm

Click on Palmerstown Community School and then on Skills and there is a course up there in Car Maintenance...

Thanks Darragh29 going to sign up for that !

• Advertisement

Thanks Darragh29 going to sign up for that !

I think (think only!), that the guy who teaches that course used to by my engineering teacher for the leaving cert and if it is him, I wouldn't give him a wheelbarrow to fix and that only has one moving part, but good luck with it anyway!

Oh ..... heres hoping he's not !

Oh ..... heres hoping he's not !

He has a big ginger beard, and he isn't a mechanic either, but I'm sure he might know the basics! :D:D:D

Advertisement