Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Guide

Options
  • 09-08-2007 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

I'm moving from Galway to Limerick soon. Think I'm moving to the Castletroy area. I've read the above links on what to do in Limerick etc already, but I really don't have much of a sense of the layout of the city, so could you tell me are there any restaurants, cafe's, cinemas, pubs and shops in the Castletroy area? Or is everything in the city?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Castletroy is a little bit out of the city centre but it's still pretty well served. Has a Storm cinema, Superquinn, and the usual array of small shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Most of the resturants are in the city itself however your are near enogh to O'Briens Bridge, Killaloe and Castleconnell where there are few nice resturants.

Annacotty is just out the road and you have a nice Chinese and an Indian resturant.

The Black Swan (pub) in Annacotty had a good name once dont know much about it now.

Off peak traffic times the city is only few minutes in the road so you wont be too far from whatever takes your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

When you get to limerick, try to get your hands on the Limerick Events guide, it gives an outline of events on what is happening in Limerick every month, and the magazine also has a map included "the barcode"

The magazine is free and is availible in shops and various public offices around the city

More info here
    http://www.eightball.ie/leg.php

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There's a few restaurant's on campus at UL, although very few of them are well serviced or up to scratch, or even reasonably priced for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I find that the newtown centre in Castletroy/Newtown has a good variety of shops...even has a z-we-ton!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

That's deadly, thanks a million!

Is there a regular bus service into town or a nightlink? Are taxi's alright?

Also, we're looking in Castletroy because the Mr wants to be cycling distance to UL, is there anywhere else that's cycling distance or is Castletroy the place to be?

Fletch123 wrote:
    Also, we're looking in Castletroy because the Mr wants to be cycling distance to UL, is there anywhere else that's cycling distance or is Castletroy the place to be?

how far is cycling distance and where do you have to be close to??

budget??

Every area around the city really is within 10km of the university.But Castletroy is probably the easiest due to it's proximity and not having to negotiate traffic.It's a nice and well facilitated area also.

The buses for town leave every 20 minutes and after 8:00 every 40 minutes(I think...)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No city bus nightlink service afaik. Bus services stop at around 11pm or 12am to my knowledge. Plenty of taxis about though.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote:
    how far is cycling distance and where do you have to be close to??

budget??

As I said, we want to be living near UL for the mister, and cycling distance is, well I'm not sure, 15-20mins max?

Budget about 800 a month.

Thanks all, we'll keep on looking around Castletroy, we're getting the run around by some Estate Agents, I'd be really pissed off if I had a house to let in their care, some of them are messers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The buses for town leave every 20 minutes and after 8:00 every 40 minutes(I think...)
    Nope.

The Bus Eireann buses leave every 15 mins untill 11:15pm.
    They leave town ever 15 mins on the quarter hour untill 11, and by the time the last bus gets to Castletroy for the return journey to town it's about 11:15pm.

The Euro bus leaves town on the hour, every hour untill 10pm I think, and would be heading back into town around 20 past the hour.

As for cabs, it'll cost you about 7-10 quid from town to Castletroy, except on a Fri/Sat night where it'd be more.

Castletroy is only about a 20-30 min walk to the town anyway.

P.S: Welcome to Limerick.;)

You could try Annacotty (Newtown) or Clonlara on the Clare side is definitely cyclable and definitely less than 20 mins due to the pedestrian bridge. You're about a 20 minute drive fromt he city in Clonlara or 10 mins in Annacotty

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jimmyfastfinger

Fletch123 wrote:
    I'm moving from Galway to Limerick soon. Think I'm moving to the Castletroy area. I've read the above links on what to do in Limerick etc already, but I really don't have much of a sense of the layout of the city, so could you tell me are there any restaurants, cafe's, cinemas, pubs and shops in the Castletroy area? Or is everything in the city?

Thanks a million!

symths bar flannerys bar and retro barber shop on denmark st are cool its near the market area its limericks temple bar .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jimmyfastfinger

symths bar ,flannerys bar and retro barber shop on denmark st its limericks temple bar loads of resturants too cooper and spice is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

symths bar flannerys bar and retro barber shop on denmark st are cool its near the market area its limericks temple bar .

"limerick's temple bar" now that is the funniest thing i've heard all day!!

Why do you stay in Limerick cm? The world is a big place, surely there's plenty of places you could go?

While Temple bar is probably over stating things, there a few nice pubs and restaurants around the Cornmarket.

Why do you stay in Limerick cm? The world is a big place, surely there's plenty of places you could go?

While Temple bar is probably over stating things, there a few nice pubs and restaurants around the Cornmarket.

one reason i stay in limerick sorry two.. family and friends.. if people from limerick are not at a certain social standing they are completly forgotton about by the powers that be.. so all these great new things are aimed at a certain type of person..
    a. a person who has plenty of money to spend
    b. a person who drinks all the time

i a person with 2 kids not much extra money and a non drinker have nothing to do when im not working.. there is only so many times u can go to our cinema's without getting bored of that.. usually when i have a bit of extra cash i get the hell outta limerick.. but i must say the people i know from limerick are some of the nicest in the world.. and ive lived on 2 different continents and 4 different countries..

No offence, but if you're a non drinker, do you think you're qualified to comment on Limerick bars and nightclubs. Most nightclubs in Ireland are horrible places to be sober.

I agree there could be more going on here, but I do think the city is improving year on year, even if this wet summer is discouraging me a bit.

sorry i forgot to mention im off the drink a year and a half.. up until then i had been drinking every week for about 15 years!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys. We found a place in Castletroy so we'll moving in soon enough. It'll interesting checking all those places out, but only when I have a job and some money to spend!

Hey again, just wondering if you guys know of any excercise or yoga classes offered in the Castletroy area, or where I could look to find out about them?

They'll generally be advertised in local shops such as Londis in Groody or in the other half is working at UL, there'll be all sorts of emails going around offering that stuff. The University Arean would be a good place to start looking though

The University Arean? Is that the sports centre or students centre or something?

Thanks for that, I'll keep my eyes peeled when I finally move down!

Fletch123 wrote:
    The University Arean? Is that the sports centre or students centre or something?

Thanks for that, I'll keep my eyes peeled when I finally move down!

The Arena is the home of the 50m pool and is totally a public amenity, though membership is better for more frequent users. The queues can be excessive for some machines at times, but they do run all types of gymnastic classes

linky

linky

Advertisement