Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Reccomendations

Options
  • 09-08-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,118 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking for expert suggestions because shopping for parts, I know not:

- Processer: I want it to be AMD it x86. And thats all I know. Need the x86 for assembly language programming. Cant afford quad core but god damn would that be nice.

- MoBo: hpefully (just spitballing here) something with an AGP port and support for PCI-e Nvidia SLi and teh DX10. Bus speeds around 667 to 800Mhz

- RAM: not terribly important, just that it matches the MoBo's bus performance.

- Hard Drive: Ill take quiet over performance. 7200 RPM isnt worth the annoyance if it comes down to it yknow.

- Cooling: Very, very quiet. Every machine I have ever owned has been a whiney Bitch and I'd like a lady this time that knows how do shut up and do what shes told.

and when I can ever afford it: the Optimus Maximus OLED keyboard. Sigh....

Any thoughts? :o

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

why you so set on an amd processor? intel are wiping the floor with amd at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You'd be better off forgetting the AGP port and just getting a really cheap PCI-E card in the mean time.

Your best bet is probably a cheap core 2 duo, 1 or 2 gig of DDR2 RAM (bus speed is 1066mhz minimum). If you want to go SLI in the future, you're limited to the 680i chipset, which is expensive, otherwise, best bet is to go for a P35 chipset, or 865 if cheap is wanted :)

Samsung's are generally the quietest drives.

For a case, get a case with 2 120mm fans, will be quiet and very cool, antec sonata II or III would be perfect.

Where you buying from? And whats the budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The need for AGP and PCI-e is unusual I don't think there are any boards out there anymore as VIA is all but gone from the motherboard industry & they were the only ones with an AGP/PCI-e combo.

However there are boards out there that use emulated AGP like this Asrock motherboard (Intel CPUI only) it has an AGI slot it is not 100% compatible with all AGP cards but most recent AGP cards from the past 2 years or so should work.

It also comes with a PCI-e slot but as astrofool said better to get a PCI-e card.

SLI support is out of the question as is Direct-X 10 support on AGP, PCI-e motherboards only.

If you forget about AGP support then you can pretty much full fill your requests;

MSI AMD socket AM2 motherboard with SLI support.

RAM Twinmos 2GB DDR-2 800

Hard drive Samsung Spinpoint 500GB

Cooling Zalman 9500 or Scythe Andy Samurai will keep CPU cooler noise down.

As for DX10 support is this just for development or for games as you can get a variety of GPU's at varying price points but NVIDIA's GeForce 8 line and ATI's Radeon HD 2000 series are the ones that support DX10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

do amd make x86 CPU's anymore? I thought they where all x64 now just with x86 compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They're all still x86 cpu's, x86-64 just extends x86.

• Advertisement
Advertisement