Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a comms connection to rj45

Options
  • 09-08-2007 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

hi all,

I'm in a bit of a bind. I need to run a cable connection to comm ports. One is a comm port on a pbx switch and the other a standard comm port on a pc. Now i havent a comm cable that long so I'm gonna use standard cat 5 and cat 5 to comm connector. My problem is I'm not sure if I need a patch lead or crossover so I need a bit of help in the the wiring of the actual connectors as i've never done it before. I'm using the DB9F to RJ45 adaptor.

I've if haven't explained myself clearly please come back with questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Just a straight thru patch lead should suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

If so how is the adapter that the patch lead plugs into wired.

There's 8 pins in the comm face, theres then 8 coloured wires that need to connect into the back of the face, green, blue, orange, brown, yellow, white, red and black. What order do the go???

Okay.....

Presuming the comm face pins are numbered 1 - 8 (should be)
    The is it:

Pin 1 - Grey
    Pin 2 - Brown
    Pin 3 - Yellow
    Pin 4 - Green
    Pin 5 - Red
    Pin 6 - Black
    Pin 7 - Orange
    Pin 8 - Blue

This will give you straight through on the adapter, which means that in the unlikely event of you requiring a cross-over, you can just make up a standard cross over patch lead.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for that, you've been a great help, I knew boards wouldn't let me down.

Sure let us know how it goes!

• Advertisement

Well I've got a definitive answer now to the problem I was having.

The colour scheme dosen't matter in general, its only specific to the cable your making up, you can decide one week to have pin 2 as white and next week to have pin 2 as blue as long as the other end is related to the colour scheme you've chosen.

The main concern is the order of the pins connected at each end. To use a long patch lead to conect the 2 connectors, I wired it as follows

Connector 1 Connector 2
    White pin2 pin3
    Blue pin3 pin2

Yellow pin4 pin6
    Green pin6 pin4

Orange pin5 pin5

Red pin7 pin8
    Black pin8 pin7

Hope this makes sence.

Advertisement