Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River fishing recommendation

Options
  • 09-08-2007 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to go fishing with the kids some day soon, weather permitting. Are there any good river locations, say within a 20-30 mile radius of Dublin airport? If you know a good spot, then I would appreciate if you could PM me or post here.

Many thanks for this.

William

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rally244

All depends on the fish you're going for ;)

And what method you want to use, float/spinner/ledgering/feeder/fly etc...

if it's just the coarse fish you're after then go to the grand canal with the kids, it'd be a good day out and you'd probably catch something, for most coarse fish use bread (a nice flake) and tench use sweet corn. good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

if its for coarse fish use maggots...sweetcorn will be slow, guaranteed bites on mags if the fish are there

yeah, maggots and bread (bread is really good for the canal always performs better than maggots for me) sweetcorn is good for tench as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

I was more hoping to go fly fishing in a river somewhere -canal wouldn't really do it for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

the rye is in leixlip is fishable without a license i think..or the dodder..permits from rorys for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭padolicious

i cought 2 3lb trout on the fly in the dodder across the road from the spawell
    off the m50!!
    u shoud try there!!
    i had a few smaller trout aswell!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mcloughl

Best option for the Dodder is Fly but IMHO kids and fly fishing dont mix all that well. If you think otherwise anyhere between the weirs in Firhouse and DonnyBrook should be good. AFAIK there is good Sea Trout Sport near DonnyBrook Bus Depot. That is more of a night time affair though.

My own Dodder spot would be along the tow path on Dodder Park avenue in Rathfarnham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

thinking about going fishing tomorrow afternoon. contimplating either the dodder or the liffey (strawberry beds)

any help or tips please?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Not a good idea tomorrow.

The season for wild trout fishing has ended, and to fish there tomorrow would be breaking the law.

You would be better looking at roach fishing, as these fish respond well when the water is cool as it is for the next few months.
    The Liffey, or canal would be suitable.

• Advertisement

the dodder in donnybrook?

Táck wrote: »
    the dodder in donnybrook?

Not just Donnybrook ... the whole river system from top down to junction with the Liffey.

Dodder Information Page from Eastern regional Fisheries Board

You can call here for more info if you wish ...
    The Eastern Regional Fisheries Board,15a Main Street, Blackrock Co. Dublin
    Tel: 01 2787022

Generally speaking , from now on, the only trout fishing allowed will be on waters where there is a "put and take" management population policy.

In other words the wild trout get a reprieve to spawn and replenish their numbers.

If it is free fishing you want, look at roach and pike between now and March.

OTOH If it is trout fishing you want, check out Annamoe, Corcagh Park, Maynooth, Rathcon or Rathbeggan. Put and Take Fisheries near Dublin

Blessington is now closed for trout until next season, but at the beginning of November the coarse fishing reopens. So you could try for pike, or roach, or spin for perch there in a week and a helf time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If you have never fished for pike then dont , or go wit someone who does.

... go wit someone who does.

A good idea what ever kind of fishing you are doing :D

ended up going to rathbeggan lakes. for what we wanted, it was great. a good place to learn and between 3 of us, we caught 4!!! rainbow trout

Nice one !

Advertisement