Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

16 year old skyline with 30k miles

Options
  • 09-08-2007 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Just saw a 16 year old skyline with 30k miles on it in autotrader for 6000 euro.

Is this almost certainly clocked.
    Who buys a skyline to do under 2000 miles a year with it?
    Any other possible explanations for such low mileage over 16 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

If its a fresh import, could be an ex track car from japan they only do about 500 miles every few months. Might also be a miss print?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The service history will verify the mileage. If there is no SH, assume the car to be clocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

SaxoDuff wrote:
    If its a fresh import, could be an ex track car from japan they only do about 500 miles every few months. Might also be a miss print?

Yeah it says it's a fresh import alright.
    Maybe that's it.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tech77 wrote:
    Yeah it says it's a fresh import alright.
    Maybe that's it.
    Thanks.
    That's a very big maybe. Be sure to check the SH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

traffic is horrific in some parts of Japan, so it is possible to cover low miles. Still a lot of maintenance will need to be done.

Ask to see the auction sheet. No auction sheet, no deal :) It doesn't show how much the dealer paid for the car so they should have no issues showing it to you, unless they have somthing to hide :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Anan1 wrote:
    That's a very big maybe. Be sure to check the SH.

More of a general query tbh but
    yeah, will do that if I decide to go for it.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:
    Be sure to check the SH.

There isn't going to be any, is there? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most Jap imports don't come with a service history or only come with a partial or patchy service history. While the mileage is more than likely altered it should also be noted that a car like a Skyline is not really an everyday car and may simply have been only used at weekends. Though as a weekend car even 30k is pretty low on a 16 year old car but by no means unusual.

To be honest I would judge a 16 year old car on current condition rather than what the odometer reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

tech77 wrote:
    Just saw a 16 year old skyline with 30k miles on it in autotrader for 6000 euro.

Is this almost certainly clocked.
    Who buys a skyline to do under 2000 miles a year with it?
    Any other possible explanations for such low mileage over 16 years?

Ive got a 1992 skyline with 47k miles on the clock, all accounted for in previous history, first in japan and then in the uk before i brought it to ireland with me. Believe it or not people dont tend to drive these cars as much as you would an everyday car, for one its expensive and secondly its bloody tiring with an uprated clutch and so much power under your right foot, never mind the straight cut gears!

My fella only sees the road at the weekends and would rack up maybe a couple of k a year as my second car, that mileage is very believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

If the dealer cant reproduce the auction sheet then its not worth your while.
    You can get a chasis number check done by certain agents to clarify any previous crashes and such involved with the car.

and you can always inspect the clock yourself and check for led pencil marks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Buddy of mine has a skyline as a second weekend car.

Landcruiser --> AE86 Supercharged Levin -->Skyline.

The skyline covers very little ground. So, yes it is possible that the mileage is correct.

Advertisement