Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bargain or not?

• 09-08-2007 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,550 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can probably be had for a bit over €10k

Luxury and comfortable motoring. All problems will have been fixed at this stage. It's got a new NCT. Get it checked out thoroughly, purchase a third party warranty for about €400 and you're laughing? Or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Good spec alright but it's really not a nice looking car, shape never really took off, it's a kind of Fiat Multipla where the car is actually very well designed for the job but looks let it down.

Would u not think of getting an old Lexus or something along those lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Get out of my head, unkel! I've been half-looking for one of these for my brother to make up for taking his A8. I've yet to drive one, but I think they're a very cool car. For what it's worth, though, I think the original Multipla is too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

yeah but its the lap of luxury, just keep an eye on de bushings etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Carzone is going crazy for me, what is it?

EDIT. It's wprking now. I love the Vel Satis. Will get one at some stage when the Safrane goes.

Have to say, I love the Avantime too. Basically a 2 door Espace. http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=701578 . Not to everyones taste though.

Re City West Cars, I 've bought 2 cars off him (Safrane and a laguna), he's a decent bloke, he was involved with Gaynor MCVeigh (main Renault dealer) when they were in Templeogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

A local garage guy I know down here bought one for his wife (who's also in the motor trade). Won't stop singing it's praises.

Why the 3rd party warranty; it's being sold by a garage, so will they not warranty it? If they won't, I'd wonder why and run away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

purchase a third party warranty for about €400

Whats a third party warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,267 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pep wrote:
    Whats a third party warranty?

A company that specifically offers a warranty, they are not a garage or dealer. They just provide the service of offering an extended warranty on a vehicle for a set fee.

Not too many if any in Ireland afaik.

Thinking of going French Unkel?

I thought there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of getting you out of a Munich motor. BMW shares must be taking a dive. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,550 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bazz26 wrote:
    A company that specifically offers a warranty, they are not a garage or dealer. They just provide the service of offering an extended warranty on a vehicle for a set fee.

Not too many if any in Ireland afaik.

I didn't know there was any until AlanD mentioned it here earlier. To recap he was offered a warranty for €400-€500 on his <100k miles Peugeot 607. I'm guessing a Vel Satis would be in the same category

bazz26 wrote:
    Thinking of going French Unkel?

I thought there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of getting you out of a Munich motor. BMW shares must be taking a dive. :D

France is a great country and I like many things French :D

But sorry to disappoint, I just happened to come along the Vel Satis ad. I'm not considering buying any car at the moment, French or otherwise

Then again, you've touched a nerve. I've had my car for nearly 4 years now - way longer than I've ever had a car before. What the hell do I do now? My car is still running grand. I'd love a change but only if it adds to what I have now and I don't really see many options. The fact that I do not have any budget apart from a flexible overdraft doesn't really help either :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Judging from the carID=206790 from the link that car has been for sale for a looong time. Makes you wonder...

Mustangs wrote:
    Judging from the carID=206790 from the link that car has been for sale for a looong time. Makes you wonder...

Just like the safrane, Very few people actually know what they are. I would imagine most people think its a megane or somesuch when they see it first. Even less will look for it on carzone.

Thge vast majority of people who see my safrane think its a Laguna.

I'd say the c6 will be a prime example of this, very few people are going to buy a €75k Citroen and i doubt any average joe is going to see anything other than a c5 when it passes by.

Mustangs wrote:
    that car has been for sale for a looong time. Makes you wonder...

Total buyers market as in no one would buy that. If you are a potential buyer, I'd suggest you put on the verbal thumbscrews. Squeeze many times until you've achieved unconditional surrender (read: bargain of the century)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,999 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Where is junkyard when you need him? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

I considered a diesel Vel-Satis for the wife a couple of months back.
    Fact that I've only seen one in the North and it maybe difficult to diagnose problems fightened me , bought her a 1.4 Focus instead - 1 extreme to the other!

I'm going to see if I can get out to have a look at that car later today. I'll keep you all posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The only real problem with a car like that is re-sale.

It's very hard to shift now, so it's going cheap.
    Drive it another few years and it will not sell again ....ever.

You're really buying that car ...forever. To keep. You'll be paying someone money to take it off you two, three years later.

With that in mind it's not really that much of a bargain.

I wonder could you convert it into a camper van?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anan1 wrote:
    I wonder could you convert it into a camper van?

sort of like this ...only more modern??? :D

bug_camper.jpg

sure you could ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

sorry but that car is gross!! no nice style to it or anythin!!!!:)

• Advertisement

Just called about it. As stekelly says, he's a nice guy and well-informed. No service history though, it's apparently ex-Hertz Leasing.

Anan1 wrote:
    Just called about it. As stekelly says, he's a nice guy and well-informed. No service history though, it's apparently ex-Hertz Leasing.

Bloody hell, I didn't know Hertz would lease one of them. I always thought they only dealt in main stream models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is carzone dead?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Is carzone dead?

Mike.

Yeah the main search function seems to be dead but I can still search "cars added recently".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

A nice comfortable place to sit while your waiting for the AA to arrive to tow you home......another lemon from Renault, no thanks!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

junkyard wrote:
    A nice comfortable place to sit while your waiting for the AA to arrive to tow you home......another lemon from Renault, no thanks!:rolleyes:

Funniest thing I've read this week ^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Junkyard did someone PM you or do you have Renault-telepathy? ;)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Junkyard did someone PM you or do you have Renault-telepathy? ;)

And I deliberately left out any reference to Renault in both title and message body of my OP :)

Dont see how it fits in to "Lemon" territory. Between honestjohn and parkers , these are the only comments in the Con section.

HonestJohn
    "What's Bad
    UK sales delayed from January 2002 to Spring 2002. A very different driving experience from almost anything else. Will appeal to some, but won't appeal to everyone. Problems with electric parking brake. "

Parkers:
    "Unconventional looks, depreciation could be a shock"

Funnily enough, parkers also list "unconventional looks" as a pro. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Anan1 wrote:
    Get out of my head, unkel! I've been half-looking for one of these for my brother to make up for taking his A8. I've yet to drive one, but I think they're a very cool car. For what it's worth, though, I think the original Multipla is too.

Never in a million years would I have put this in the A8 category. This is more jumped up Avensis category to me..

Advertisement