Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Camel (Excellent 70's prog rock)

• 09-08-2007 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

So, there's a fair few prog rock threads going (Who's going to start an ELP thread?), which is excellent, as I'm quite a prog fan, but one of my favourite bands of the genre is Camel. You can check out some songs here, if you're unfamiliar.

Anyway, great band, and I think it was mentioned in another thread how The Snow Goose was one of the best instrumental albums of all time, and I'd certainly agree with that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The Snow Goose is amazing, I love that album. The only other stuff I've heard by Camel is off their Live Album where they performed The Snow Goose in full and some songs off other albums, but the other stuff didn't really interest me as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That's odd Fozzy. I love their other stuff aswell, and I think Andy Latimer has a great voice. You should check out the album Mirage, and maybe Moonmadness. Really exceptional stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

ah man .... these rock..... cheers for the recommendation :D

Not a bother. ;)

They really are very good, and quite overlooked. Quite a hidden gem as it were. Would you believe I picked up some of their albums in Japan? The Japanese seem to love their prog rock, because I picked up a load of Camel, Yes, ELP and Comus albums when I was there.

can i pick em up in the likes of HMV and that or will i have to go to the smaller shops around dublin?

• Advertisement

I did get 2 of their albums in HMV in Dublin a couple of years back pretty cheap, so it's worth a look, but it was some time ago I'm afraid. What I'd recommend is going to www.play.com where they have quite a few Camel albums in the 3 for £15 section, which probably works out less than €25.

Cheers man...* goes in search of Credit card*

I listened to a bit of Mirage earlier and I liked what I heard. Lady Fantasy especially, very good song

Fozzy wrote:
    I listened to a bit of Mirage earlier and I liked what I heard. Lady Fantasy especially, very good song

Ah yeah, it's an absolutely standout track, but I cannot fault the album on the whole. Glad you liked it though, I was suprised when you said the Snow Goose was the only album that interested you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A band I keep meaning to get into. Recommend me an album and I'll pick it up next weekend.

• Advertisement

Definetly get The Snow Goose, John, and if you've got money spare, Mirage. Those were the first 2 camel albums I bought, and I was hooked since. ;)

Cool. Tower always seem to have a healthy stock of their albums so hopefully I'll remember to pick them up when I'm next passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

John - you'll get ripped off buying Camel at Tower, why not buy online and get 3 for probably € 10.00?

Ah yeah, it's an absolutely standout track, but I cannot fault the album on the whole. Glad you liked it though, I was suprised when you said the Snow Goose was the only album that interested you.

Must have been something to do with the live versions. I'll probably love them now when I find that live album!

John - you'll get ripped off buying Camel at Tower, why not buy online and get 3 for probably € 10.00?

Good point. I do like walking into a shop and browsing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Hector Gilbert

I actually quite like their 1981 album Nude. It's quite glossy and 80s sounding, which I could imagine putting many people off it, but really quite a nifty concept album. Mostly instrumental (stylistically somewhere in between the 70s Camel style and something more touched by Eno) and with three great ballads at the album's key points

I actually quite like their 1981 album Nude. It's quite glossy and 80s sounding, which I could imagine putting many people off it, but really quite a nifty concept album. Mostly instrumental (stylistically somewhere in between the 70s Camel style and something more touched by Eno) and with three great ballads at the album's key points

Hmm, don't have that album myself. I should probably check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I have Nude on Vinyl, must dig it out and give it another try.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Fozzy wrote:
    Must have been something to do with the live versions. I'll probably love them now when I find that live album!

I still have to check out that live album you recomended, must do it soon!

Anyway, i would also consider Mirage, Snow Goose & Moonmadness their best.
    I always found it very entertaining making up stories to put to Snow Goose, meant to read the book ages ago but never did:)
    Lunar Sea from Moonmadness is one of my favourite instrumental tracks ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm not big into my genres, but Camel always reminds me a bit of Uriah Heep. Although what categorisation Uriah Heep fall into is beyond me!

• Advertisement

Yeah, Uriah Heep would probably fall into the same category as Camel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

As 70's prog goes I always thought Camel a bit lightweight to their contemparies. I'd rather gong, yes, early genesis, or floyd. But saying that a not bad entry point for people who want to get into Prog.

Little bump here, but I think Camel are an awesome band, and could do with a bit more exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Listening to the first song Lady Fantasy now and wow!

Pretty good stuff! Had heard them mentioned but never any songs. Thanks for the link Karl.
    Probably pick up a couple of their ablums soon or over Christmas

Glad you enjoyed them, Dr.Poca. Did you know Mikael from Opeth cites them as a huge influence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I did,thats another reason I wanted to have a listen to them :D

So would Mirage and Snow Goose be the albums to get first?

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    So would Mirage and Snow Goose be the albums to get first?

Can't see why not! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Great band, always much under-estimated.

Moonmadness won't disappoint you either, if you see a copy looking for a home.

Under-estimated, or under-appreciated?

Moonmadness is indeed a fantastic album, essential stuff. Might be blasphemy to some, but I probably prefer Camel to some of the bigger Prog bands like Yes or ELP even. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement