Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Platelet donation

• 10-08-2007 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey everyone

Donated blood today and seen an advertisement and leaflet for platelet donation. You can donate more regularly than blood donation (every 4-6 weeks) and you have to go to St. James's to do it. The platelets are needed by leukemia and cancer patients.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience of this, as I have only ever donated blood and not platelets?

P.S. The IBTS are urgently appealing for blood this week following the bank holiday weekend. I have gotten two texts and a letter already this week asking for blood. PLEASE do give blood if you are eligible...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Zippie_84 wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience of this, as I have only ever donated blood and not platelets?

One of my brothers does this (the rest of us are O-, and the IBTS wants the blood) it takes a little while longer than donating blood, because they filter your blood to get the platelets, but at least you get an appointment at a fixed time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yes, I've done this at St James Hospital. It takes about an hour, (plus travel time) and is not in any way painful. They take the blood out and spin it (not a medical person me, so forgive the layman terms) to take the platelets out, and then put the blood back into you again. Basically, you just lie there for an hour chilling out with a book or magazine (or even watch the TV that they have in the room), and you're done.
    I havent done it for a while now as I am a good bit from Dublin and cant get time off work anymore, but would certainly consider it as easy as giving blood. Just a bit more time consuming because you have to go to the clinic, but well worth it when you think of the people who need the platelets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

while we're on the topic of donations. I have been giving blood for a while. in the check sheet they ask you if you have done any drugs in the last X weeks and give an example of cocaine. would this include marijuana? or do they mean drugs you snort / inject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, I've given platelets a few times alright, monthly for the last couple of years or so.

You can give single, double or triple donations, every 4 weeks.I've given doubles mostly but started on the triples to get to 100 donations by the end of this year.

Depending on your platelet count, a double donation could take from 55 to 70 mins, a triple 65 to 85 mins. Add in the quick quiz/form filling too.

It's grand, nice staff down there. A very good cause too. Give them a call. or go to www.ibts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

The Bollox while we're on the topic of donations. I have been giving blood for a while. in the check sheet they ask you if you have done any drugs in the last X weeks and give an example of cocaine. would this include marijuana? or do they mean drugs you snort / inject?

Dunno if it *just* means ones you snort or inject, but it doesn't mean cannibas anyway. I specifically asked the first time I went... it was quite awkward. I think as long as you're not stoned right then it's pretty much okay, as it has nothing to do with the quality of your blood..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

cool, cheers

passive wrote:
    Dunno if it *just* means ones you snort or inject, but it doesn't mean cannibas anyway. I specifically asked the first time I went... it was quite awkward. I think as long as you're not stoned right then it's pretty much okay, as it has nothing to do with the quality of your blood..

Same here. I asked on my first visit (for regular blood donation, not platelets) and the nurse said it wasnt a serious issue, but said its requested to avoid smoking it for the few days leading to the donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i asked about the drug thing last week, marijuana is fine so long as you dont go in there baked of your tits, needle drugs are a no-no and i think the main problem with coke is the chance of things being spread by what you use to snort it. so if you were to take it without snorting it you would probably be ok (i think dont quote me on that).

but anyway i donate platelets. they are very short, the problem is so many people cant give them for various reasons. one of the nurses told me that ideally they want to have about 4000 people on the panel but they only have about 1400 so if you can donate platelets please do! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What about medication?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

And ordinary cigarettes are ok aren't they?

Although I had a fag once straight after donation (had abstained for a good few hours before) and that was fun, my head nearly flew off :D

• Advertisement

aspirin is a no for a few days before because it thins the blood and they add something else during the procedure that thins the blood as well so they shouldnt mix.

i dont know about other medication, the best thing to do if you have any queries is ring up the freephone number on the website and ask (the website is down now, ill find the number and put it up later). they put you through to a nurse who can explain if certain medication is a problem. it saves you going in and finding out there that you cant donate.

cigarettes are fine, they done even ask.

i forgot so say, if you got acupuncture in the last six months you need a note to say the used clean needles and didnt give you aids and all that, ask the acupuncturist they should know all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

if in doubt re. meication ring before you head out and they'll tell you whether you can/cannot donate.

Everyone who can should do this, its a very worthwhile cause and most employers will give you time off and the blood clinic will even pay for taxis to/from the clinic.

I used to regularly donate but was on holidays in what they term 'a malarial region' so can't for 6-12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

uglyjohn wrote:
    aspirin is a no for a few days before because it thins the blood

Are you sure? I gave blood yesterday as well and I told the nurse that I had taken a disprin that morning and she didn't say anything.

Must try the cigarette straight afterwards next time. Cheap buzz :D

Mizu_Ger wrote:
    Are you sure? I gave blood yesterday as well and I told the nurse that I had taken a disprin that morning and she didn't say anything.

heh heh. I though that once. I gave blood in work, and despite warnings, went out for two ciggies straight after (it was break time, so 'twas my last chance). When I stood up to go back into the factory, my legs didnt work anymore and I just collapsed in a big rubbery heap. Still funny though. :)

Mizu_Ger wrote:

its just for the platlets, they take your blood out....proscess it :confused: (take the platlets out) and mix something in. the something thins your blood so it is dangerous if you have taken asprin.

of course like all these things they are overly cautious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Mizu_Ger wrote:

Careful though. You may faint :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I might give this a go :) Never given blood before so do they take it on a weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

The Bollox wrote:
    while we're on the topic of donations. I have been giving blood for a while. in the check sheet they ask you if you have done any drugs in the last X weeks and give an example of cocaine. would this include marijuana? or do they mean drugs you snort / inject?

The thing against cocaine is that if you snort drugs regularly it damages to some extent the blood vesels in the nose leaving ou more open to infection or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What's the criteria for giving blood/platelets? And why are they so fussy about platelets? I have a low white blood cell count and used to be anaemic though I take iron now, would they accept mine? (when I'm 18 like)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

uglyjohn wrote:
    its just for the platlets, they take your blood out....proscess it :confused: (take the platlets out) and mix something in. the something thins your blood so it is dangerous if you have taken asprin.

of course like all these things they are overly cautious.

It's also that aspirin renders your platelets useless for the purposes of donation. It's an anti-coagulant, and since platelets are the bit in blood that coagulates and forms clots, it prevents them functioning properly (in the common parlance "thins the blood".

Doesn't matter for red cells, since they're not involved in blood-clotting. All it means for a red cell donation is that they won't use the platelet or plasma fraction(s) of your donation for making platelet pools. Still perfectly good red cells :)

Oh, and the "useless"ness of the platelets following aspirin is only for the patient going to be getting the platelets. There's still plenty functionality in them for yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

layke wrote:
    I might give this a go :) Never given blood before so do they take it on a weekend?

No, weekdays only I'm afraid. Details of times are on www.ibts.ie

Some of the mobile clinics do be out on a Sunday. Again, the website'll have details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Something Ive been wondering. I know the service bars gays and heroin users from donating blood because of an increased Aids risk. Is this because

a- Every single drop of blood is rigourously screened, and they merely want to avoid a situation whereby they have to throw out hundreds/thousands of litres of healthy blood because of one infected pint

or

b- The testing is good but far from foolproof :confused:

Anyway, cant give blood, Ive a medical condition causing me to behave like a complete pussy at the sight of a needle :D (Im alright with injections, I just put on a scowl, walk in and behave like some army man off to war in the tropics. But actual blood drainage needles, needed it when i was 10 for tests and it was brutal)

While we are on the topic, can you have an STI test without giving blood? I know this sounds odd but i really really cant put a needle into my hand like that again (not without showing up without a half bottle of vodka in me at least)

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Something Ive been wondering. I know the service bars gays and heroin users from donating blood because of an increased Aids risk. Is this because

a- Every single drop of blood is rigourously screened, and they merely want to avoid a situation whereby they have to throw out hundreds/thousands of litres of healthy blood because of one infected pint

or

Anyway, cant give blood, Ive a medical condition causing me to behave like a complete pussy at the sight of a needle :D (Im alright with injections, I just put on a scowl, walk in and behave like some army man off to war in the tropics. But actual blood drainage needles, needed it when i was 10 for tests and it was brutal)

While we are on the topic, can you have an STI test without giving blood? I know this sounds odd but i really really cant put a needle into my hand like that again (not without showing up without a half bottle of vodka in me at least)
    They can stick a swab down your japs eye.

A guy well known for talking sh1te told me that re his visit. Made it sound like medieval torture.

Is there no 3rd option? :D

Tha Gopher wrote:
    A guy well known for talking sh1te told me that re his visit. Made it sound like medieval torture.

Is there no 3rd option? :D
    Have sex with someone and then have them tested.

The japs eye thing is true.
    My friend had a one night stand.
    He said he was really drunk and that the girl was dirty (not in the good way). So the next morning he stuck his cock in a bottle of dettol. That burned the cock off him and he thought it was the fault of the girl.
    He'll never live that one down.
    I can only imagine the embarassment he felt when talking to the doctor.

Dr.: Aside from sleeping with this girl, have you put anything on your penis?

Friend: Well I stuck my cock in a bottle of dettol to was it after sleeping with her and now it's really painful.

Dr: Yeah. That'll do it.

The doctor still stuck the swab in.

LOL :D You always hear docs on tv giving out to patients for "self medicating". This is the extreme of it.

Mind you, i did once read about a guy who burned himself to death trying a traditional Scandanavian method of removing haemorrids with a liberally applied amount of petrol and a very brief flame :eek:

Rectum? It ****in well killed him :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 caviaronaplate

The Bollox wrote:

The whole idea is really to eliminate "high risk" individuals from donating.. if you're someone that smokes hash then they assume ur likely to do other drugs such as coke or needle drugs etc. Same goes for gay guys they can't donate blood cos they're in a high risk group even though some of their blood is probably a lot safer than some straight people... anyway basically if u mark yes to any question on the questionnaire ur immediately disqualified from donating.. but dont lie cos there's been incidents in past where people think "oh sure I'm safe to donate" and lie on their form...there's a persons life on the line at the end of the day so its not something to be taken lightly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 caviaronaplate

Tha Gopher wrote:

or

Testing is excellent if there is something there to detect. The problem is is that so many diseases like HIV and HepC have what is known as a "window period" of a few months where a person is infected but their body is not showing any detectable signs e.g. HIV is usually detected by testing for HIV antibodies but it can take some time for antibodies to be produced by the body and during this time the person may test negative. There has been a few cases reported of people lying on application forms about their sex life etc thinking they are safe to donate only for some poor unfortunate to receive blood from them which is infected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Ok, I will bring all of the little plates in my press to the clinic.

I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Grasshoppa: I'll get my coat.
    Don't get it 'til I've finished fitting it with explosives to punish you...
    caviaronaplate: if you're someone that smokes hash then they assume ur likely to do other drugs such as coke or needle drugs etc.

well it's already been established by several users that they don't do this, they don't ask about hash and when you go out of your way to inquire if cannibas use will affect your blood you will most likely be okayed.
    caviaronaplate: anyway basically if u mark yes to any question on the questionnaire ur immediately disqualified from donating..

Untrue... mark yes where appropriate, you'll be asked about anything iffy.

passive wrote:

well it's already been established by several users that they don't do this, they don't ask about hash and when you go out of your way to inquire if cannabis use will affect your blood you will most likely be okayed.

exactly, i called and asked about it a few days ago...they said so long as i wasnt stoned coming in it wasnt a problem. (my exact words were " i smoked some cannabis about 2 weeks ago, am i ok to donate?" )

in terms of the questionnaire, as passive said you mark yes where appropriate and will be asked about anything iffy, the nurse will then sign off beside the "yes" if you explain properly.
    any yes does not automatically disqualify you. eg there is a BIG difference between answering yes to "do you take part in any dangerous activities, eg diving rock climbing etc...." and answering yes to " have you ever exchanged drugs for sex?" or "have you ever had unprotected sex with someone in a part of the world with a high aids level?"

Advertisement