Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Solos and TV Cameras

Options
  • 10-08-2007 1:01am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why, oh why is it that when watching video footage of guitar solos the camera man is incapable of pointing the camera at the guitarists hands? The Frank Zappa DVD 'Does Humour Belong in Music' is a typical example. Then there's a Cream concert I saw on the Performance Channel - soon as Eric takes a solo we get a close-up of Jack Bruce??? Then there's Hendrix at the Royal Albert Hall - this footage was supposed to be lost years ago but it turned up on YouTube - we're just about to discover how Jimi does one of many astounding solos when the camera pans the audience...:mad: A great exception to this is Hendrix performance at Woodstock but then Woodstock was an exception in itself. Maybe there is some good reason and perhaps there is someone in the film business out there who can enlighten me. Otherwise just stop it cause you are depriving the world of some very, very important footage!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

It is highly possible that these recordings (some of them anyway) were over-dubbed in the studio due to possible errors or sound levels at the gig itself. In this event the video footage of the hands of the guitarist, if taken, may not actually fit with the sound, so, the footage of other band members or even the crowd was put in to hide this fact, and may not even be footage taken at that time during the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

rahim wrote:
    It is highly possible that these recordings (some of them anyway) were over-dubbed in the studio due to possible errors or sound levels at the gig itself. In this event the video footage of the hands of the guitarist, if taken, may not actually fit with the sound, so, the footage of other band members or even the crowd was put in to hide this fact, and may not even be footage taken at that time during the gig.

yea agree with you completely, and i'm sure this is the main reason why this is done...

But i do know what "hermy" is talking about it can be quite frustrating, especially when on the odd occasion when they actually bother show the guitarist playing, its nearly always the picking hand that they show....:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Great answer, don't know why it never occurred to me as I'm well aware of the overdubbing of so-called live releases - Live and Dangerous for example.
    Thanks lads.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement