Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3ireland and nokia e65

• 10-08-2007 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I have an e65 with 3 Ireland, on bill pay, and a mobile broadband package.

Two questions:
    1)
    Is it possible to get Orb running on the Nokia e65, WITHOUT x-series?
    When I try to access mycast.orb.com with the e65, it either times-out or I get a Java error.
    If I access this site from a PDA (Eg. Nokia 770) or a PC I dont need any client software except for RealPlayer, so I dont see why I need X-series.
    Are 3ireland somehow blocking access to this site, or is there some way to get it to work?

2)
    Is it possible to use the e65 as a data modem for use with a laptop or PDA (Eg. Nokia 770)
    I haven't been successful so far with the Nokia 770

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have an e65 with 3 Ireland, on bill pay, and a mobile broadband package.

Two questions:
    1)
    If I access this site from a PDA (Eg. Nokia 770) or a PC I dont need any client software except for RealPlayer, so I dont see why I need X-series.
    Are 3ireland somehow blocking access to this site, or is there some way to get it to work?

John

X-series has a large data allowance specifically for ORB (enough to stream 80 hours a month ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

i'm using a E65 on 3 connected to my laptop to post this. Works better than the 'supposed' 3.6mbs usb datamodem that i also have but will be giving back. the E65 is restricted to something like 300kbs but is alot faster than dialup and fine for web browsing and the occasional download with your laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 john_dooley

Hey,
    The ORB client is now working. I can login and access my PC remotely.
    However I can only view photos & browse directories.
    I can't get the video streaming to work.
    Speed tests return figures between 608 kbps and 108 kbps.
    If I set the streaming format to Real (.ram), I get an error similar to "Remote server Time-Out"
    If I set the streaming format to 3gp ,the streaming video "appears" to connect & load ok but I only see a black scren and no sound.

I have managed to get streaming to work to another PC and my Nokia 770 so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any suggestions?

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

See the post above about three and streaming on the unlimited broadband package - the long and the short of it is that three claimed today that streaming would be restored to me today - so far it hasn't - I'm sensing a call to COMREG is in the offing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I get those streaming issues when trying to watch videos on m.youtube.com as well. I thought it was my phone but obviously not!

• Advertisement

Hey GunnerFitzy
    Did you have to do anything special to use your e65 as a data modem?
    I have connected my laptop to the phone via the USB cable.
    When I try using "Connect to the Internet" in Nokia Pc suite, I get the following error:
    "Failed to establish a network connection!"

John

Hey GunnerFitzy
    Did you have to do anything special to use your e65 as a data modem?
    I have connected my laptop to the phone via the USB cable.
    When I try using "Connect to the Internet" in Nokia Pc suite, I get the following error:
    "Failed to establish a network connection!"

John

john,

open pc suite and click on 'one touch access'. from there click on 'settings' and select 'nokia gsm phone usb modem', in the next screen choose the 'configure the connection manually' option (do not choose any of the preset options). On the next screen enter '3ireland.ie' as the access point and leave the username and password fields blank. finish and then connect from the 'one touch access' main screen.

This should do the trick for you.

Hey Gunnerfitzy,
    Thats exactly what I tried.
    Sounds like I need to get onto 3 support.

What Bill Pay / mobile broadband options do you have?

One thing that concerns / confuses me is that when I asked in the 3 shop about using the phone as a data modem, I was told by the Sales person it wasn't possible. Are the able to block this via Firmware or other means in some phones?

John

Hey Gunnerfitzy,
    Thats exactly what I tried.
    Sounds like I need to get onto 3 support.

What Bill Pay / mobile broadband options do you have?

One thing that concerns / confuses me is that when I asked in the 3 shop about using the phone as a data modem, I was told by the Sales person it wasn't possible. Are the able to block this via Firmware or other means in some phones?

John

Hi john,

I got the whole 'not possible' line also but then i mentioned that people i knew have been doing it successfully and the line changed to 'it's possible but not supported'. I do remember that the first time I tried it it would not work for me. You could try downloading the latest version of pc suite from the nokia website. It would not surprise me if the version shipped with the 3 phones had this feature blocked. (i've no proof of this, but it's possible).

I'm on bill/200mins/broadband unlimited at the moment. I'm thinking of changing to x-series silver but only if it does not prevent me from using my phone as a modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 d_mc_a

I also have an e65 and I'm using orb successfully right now. I had trouble in the beginning too streaming video but I solved it by using real and the format and also change the media streaming port on the client software on your pc to 555. I really don't know why it doesn't work with 554, but I have never got it to successfully stream on 554. Also, the first time you connect with your mobile, make sure you refresh the connection speed, as It first estimated connection speed never works properly when you stream. Hope that helps a bit. Oh, I have orb installed on a media centre pc that is streaming my sky digibox to my phone. It works very well, too.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions regarding downloading the latest version of PC suite and changing the port to 555 for Orb.
    I'll try both this evening and let you know if they work.

Advertisement