Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling GPS mapping

Options
  • 10-08-2007 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

I know someone asked about this a while ago but I can't find the relevant thread.

Have any of you used a gps mapping system for cycling and can you recommend a model. I'm not up to date with all the latest tech jazz so feel I would be buying blind without a few recommendations.

I'm basically looking for something small enough to be mounted on the bike, water proof and with a decent charge because I'd be using it for long distances out side of Dublin (I get nose bleeds and disorientated once I leave dublin, or even just when I leave the northside for that matter :p ).

Also is it possible to update these things with mapping software for off road use. One of the lads I work with is into mountain biking but being from slovakia he's not to keen on taking to offroad trails up the mountains in case he can't find his way back. He reckons there is software available designed for climbers / hill walkers which would suit him.

Any thoughts are appreciated by myself and my equally out of touch co-worker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The Garmin Edge 305 is a nice little GPS unit designed for cycling.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=331

It has a heart rate monitor and all the usual cycle computer functions as well as GPS. The only downside is that you can't load OS maps onto it to follow. You can however create routes on your PC and then upload them to the unit which you can then follow on the bike.

If you want to follow a GPS map, one of the Garmin eTrex series would be an option. I belive you can get a bike mount for these units too - but you don't have the cycling-specific functions. If you're in a situation where you're relying on a GPS to find your way it's important to have the relevant paper OS map too, as a backup.

Your friend shouldn't worry too much about getting lost in the mountains around here - we don't exactly have vast areas of wilderness! He'd come to a road eventually and could find a friendly local to direct him home. If he's interested in finding some routes he's welcome to come out with us sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have the Garmin Forerunner 305. It's similar to the Edge. It has a feature where you can set it to "follow" your route home. On the map screen (which is just a wiggly line showing your path, no streets or land features) you just follow the line. I haven't used this feature though so I don't know how useful it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Morgan wrote:
    If he's interested in finding some routes he's welcome to come out with us sometime.
    I actually just showed him the MAD website in the office yesterday. I printed out the application form and a lot of the other pages for him so he might well tag along with you sometime in the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Check out the garmin units on chain reactions site ,they are knocking a further 10% off all orders over £100. even the sale items :eek: :D

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=808
    The 205 Edge is now working out at 192euro delivered :)

The same item is 299euro on komplett !!!

That site is brilliant :)

_Brian_ wrote:
    Check out the garmin units on chain reactions site ,they are knocking a further 10% off all orders over £100. even the sale items :eek: :D

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=808
    The 205 Edge is now working out at 192euro delivered :)

I was looking at a few of those alright but as far as I can tell they are just expensive cycle computers and they don't display maps.

Surely there must be a map system designed for cycle use. I've seen car units small enough, just not sure about battery / water proof / mounting.

• Advertisement

The only standard waterproof unit is something like this
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/506939/art/garmin/zumo-500-deluxe-motorbike.html

Surely a compass style gps ,would lead you away from most areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

clown bag wrote:
    I was looking at a few of those alright but as far as I can tell they are just expensive cycle computers and they don't display maps.

Surely there must be a map system designed for cycle use. I've seen car units small enough, just not sure about battery / water proof / mounting.

Something like this would do the job.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8703
    waterproof, 25 hour battery life, colour maps, bike mount.
    I'm not sure about the availability of GPS base maps for Ireland though.

Morgan wrote:

Sorry ,I don't mean to hijack ,is the edge 205 any good morgan ?

Morgan wrote:

That certainly looks like it would do the job. Will have to check out getting one with Irish road maps. From the spec the european software which comes with it is limited.

Standard map coverage includes:

* Oceans, rivers and lakes (greater than 30 square miles)
    * Principal cities and some small cities and towns
    * Major motorways and/or interstates and principal highways
    * Political boundaries (state and international borders)
    * Major Airports

edit: available in Maplin electronics in jervis street according to the linkeh!

RE: edge 205:
    Not knowing much about these things I can't really comment but from what I can make out it's just an advanced cycle computer with a follow the dots type user pre-programmed route. The one review on the site slated it big time and suggested advertising it as a gps was misleading.

I'd be interested to hear more experienced peoples comments on this model too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

clown bag wrote:
    RE: edge 205:
    Not knowing much about these things I can't really comment but from what I can make out it's just an advanced cycle computer with a follow the dots type user pre-programmed route.

Correct.
    The one review on the site slated it big time and suggested advertising it as a gps was misleading.

Unfair, it most certainly is a GPS enabled device, its just that in the minds of many people "GPS" means an electronic device that displays maps.

IMO Garmin made the right choice by not equipping the Edge with a map displaying ability. This allowed the unit to be equipped with a much simpler display which in turn made it possible to fit a lightweight battery whilst still getting it to last long enough for cycle touring. Colour LCDs such as used in map displaying GPS devices are very power hungry, it would require a heavy battery to get it to last as long as the Edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have an Edge 305 and it is a great little thing altogether. It is most definately NOT a mapping device although if you have an accurately preprogrammed route it will tell you where to turn, how far to the top of the mountain, if you go off course, etc. I fed it someone else's course record of the Wicklow 200 and it did very well on this.

Charge will get you a good day's cycling, especially if you remember to turn it off whenever you stop to save the battery.

Advertisement