Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well hung

• 10-08-2007 10:15am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭

OK, it was a cheap shot to get the thread some attention, I admit it...

I was in NZ recently and could not believe the steak I had there was the same meat as the stuff they sell here. My mother (who is well-versed in these things) tells me this is because they hang the meat for much longer over there.

Anyone got any recommendations for suppliers of well hung beef in the Dublin area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Go and pester your local butcher about it. Ask him how long his beef is hung for - 21 days is good. The longer the better - 28 days, 35 days... Though I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find a butcher who hangs their meat for four or five weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

ah. we all had a good laugh over the long weekend when one of the lads talked about the steak he barbecued saying it must have been 'well hung'. aaah memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

As a general rule, insist your butcher hangs your meat for three weeks minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 monkey9comma

Superquinn have a range of aged steaks - 21 days. Had the striploin and it was really good, very tender with a depth of flavour missing from most meat. It has an amazing colour, almost purple. A hung steak won't be vivid red. It's expensive but it was one of the best steaks I have eaten. One gripe is the packaging - there's too much of it, presumably to make it look the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Noticed today that they had some matured beef in Dunnes Stores from Kettyle Irish Foods in Co. Fermanagh http://www.kettyleirishfoods.com/

I got a couple of steaks to see what it's like. It's vacuum packed and then there's some cardboard packaging around that, but at least that bit's recyclable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

AFAIK Superquinn hang their striploin for longer than most. Which is propably why it tastes so dang good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank you all for your help.

Advertisement