Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Resonator Wall?

Options
  • 10-08-2007 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Quick question,

Does anybody know what a resonator wall in an exhaust does .. does this amplify sound or quiten the sound of the exhaust?? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

According to wikipedia:
    Automobiles
    A resonator is one part in exhaust systems that works with the muffler to reduce noise, by making sound waves "cancel each other out". The "exhaust note" is an important feature for many vehicle owners, so both the original manufacturers and the after-market suppliers use the resonator to enhance the sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

"A resonator is one part in exhaust systems that works with the muffler to REDUCE noise....

....so both the original manufacturers and the after-market suppliers use the resonator to ENHANCE the sound."

hmmmm , so which one is it , does it REDUCE or ENHANCE the sound????????

The reason I ask is because I bought a De-cat Pipe for my honda and am wondering whether it will make it louder or quieter

edit: and the de-cat pipe has a "built in resonator wall" ... will this make it louder quiter? and will it take away from the performance of the decat in anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

C_Breeze wrote:
    "A resonator is one part in exhaust systems that works with the muffler to REDUCE noise....

....so both the original manufacturers and the after-market suppliers use the resonator to ENHANCE the sound."

hmmmm , so which one is it , does it REDUCE or ENHANCE the sound????????

The reason I ask is because I bought a De-cat Pipe for my honda and am wondering whether it will make it louder or quieter

De-cats generally make a car sound more raspier as the air flow is being increased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I rang a local garage to swap the cat for the de-cat .. they told me 80euro and to come in tomorrow!

Does anyone have any idea if thats about right?? ... its only 4 bolts and although i never tried i could probably do it my self if i had axel stands! Looks easy enoguh , not too big of a job

Is the guy tryin to rip me off?

Advertisement