Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big head whooosh!

Options
  • 10-08-2007 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

Okay this is probably going to seem a bit strange but it's something I've been experiencing for years (up to 20) and no one I've ever mentioned it to has ever had a clue what i'm on about or experienced anything like it themselves. Therefore I've decided to open it up to the general public on here in the hope of finding someone somewhere who understands....:o

It only happens when I'm really tired, and I mean REALLY tired, i.e hardly any sleep the night before and busy all day kind of tired. It happens in that phase when I'm no longer awake and just slipping into sleep. It feels/ sounds (I'm not sure which) like a big whoosh that moved rapidly from one side of my brain to the other, then it's gone, lasting all of 1 second (or less). If you could feel neurons firing then I would guess this is what it feels like. I't so loud, in my head (IYKWIM) that it wakes me up only to happen again as I start dropping off again and could happen up to 3-4 times before I finally fall asleep!
    Anyone :confused: Please someone just pretend that you know what I'm talking about and say it's completely normal :p

O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I have no idea whatsoever what the hell you're talking about :D

Sorry...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sounds a little bit like night terrors, never got the wooshing noise myself.. just a sensation of sinking into the bed and deep into my body, but some people hear bees buzzing, clocks ticking, all kinds of crazy ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

well... why did I never look this up before?

It appears I have exploding head syndrome.

I particularly like this line
    Note that exploding head syndrome is not an example of spontaneous human combustion, nor does it involve the head actually exploding.

Mordeth wrote:
    sounds a little bit like night terrors

No it doesn't...not even vaguely... One feature of Night Terrors is that the person rarely has any memory of what occurred.

No, not night terrors Mordeth. It's annoying more than scary except if I start to think about it and wonder wtf is going on in my brain! The exploding head syndrome thing explains it nicely and I found some links to other people saying "oh thank God it's not just me" etc etc so I really am not crazy :D

When I have a look through the various sleep problems/ disorders I've actually got a few of them going on all at the same time :o
    Maybe I am a freak after all... :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Live in the flightpath of an airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I get the freaky dizzy feeling, but not the noise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Zillah wrote:
    No it doesn't...not even vaguely... One feature of Night Terrors is that the person rarely has any memory of what occurred.

I always do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

I get that sometimes. I get a "whoosh" through my head followed by feeling something is trying to shut down my head, then shortness of breath and paralysis until i can regain control of my breathing. Very scary. I would say it happens to me at least twice a month, usually the night after a night of drinking.

I get that sometimes. I get a "whoosh" through my head followed by feeling something is trying to shut down my head, then shortness of breath and paralysis until i can regain control of my breathing. Very scary. I would say it happens to me at least twice a month, usually the night after a night of drinking.

Hurray it's not just me! I found someone else over the weekend that get this, he describes it as a firecracker going off in his head. Quite common it seems and harmless apart from scaring the feck out of you.

• Advertisement

Mordeth wrote:
    I always do..

You sure they're not just nightmares? Night Terrors happen in non-REM sleep, so they're very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ich_verschwinde

its not a hypnic jerk your experiencing? i get this alot when i am really tired, and have deprived myself of sleep for a while...? your whole body just "jerks" involuntary just before you fall asleep.. like usually its accompanied by a dream where you appear to be falling... its scary actually
    and it could happen 3-4 times before i fall asleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

its not a hypnic jerk your experiencing? i get this alot when i am really tired, and have deprived myself of sleep for a while...? your whole body just "jerks" involuntary just before you fall asleep.. like usually its accompanied by a dream where you appear to be falling... its scary actually
    and it could happen 3-4 times before i fall asleep...
    Ugh i get that all the time, it scares the crap outta me.

I had it once before, but I spend a lot of time telling other people on the Paranormal Forum thats its nothing to be scared of, so it wasn't. I found it quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

my ex got hyper jerk, and it scared the pants off of me

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

i've got it a few times before. i told my boyfried that there was an exploding noise in my head. he thought i was mad.

Advertisement