Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Converting and exporting a commercial 4x4

Options
  • 10-08-2007 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was hoping someone could help me with a query:
    Last year I bought a commercial vehicle through my company.
    I've since moved to the UK and I'm winding up my old company. I was going to sell the jeep but am now considering re-regging it on UK plates.
    What I'd like to do is get it converted back to a passenger vehicle with the seats and windows put back into the back and register it in the UK as a standard car not commercial van. Does anyone know if this is possible and legal?
    I love the jeep and want to keep it but not enough to de-value it to hell by bringing it over here as a commercial vehicle and never being able to sell the thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Sell it and buy a passenger in the UK. Will work out cheaper and less hassle in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

many commercial jeeps have had the seatbelt mountings welded ver or cut out making refitting seatbelts difficult or unsafe

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

Thanks for the reply lads but I'm now living in the UK and I need to do something with the jeep; either sell it or import it to the UK. There's no way I'm importing it as a commercial vehicle and I haven't had any offers to buy it so I'm kinda stuck.
    It's a 2006 Touareg and in great condition and I love it but I need more than 2 seats. I've heard there are places up north that can convert them back but does anyone know for sure? Also, I am not sure about the legal aspects, if I then try to re-import it back to Ireland a year down the road, will the Revenue be after me as it'll now be a passenger?
    It would of course be easier to sell it and buy something else over here, especially as I'll be here for long enough to bring it back to Ireland with me, but the buyers ain't biting!

Advertisement