Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Freeview on TVs in Ireland

• 10-08-2007 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Was looking at a few LCD Tvs today at lunch and noticed that some of them have a Freeview label on them. As usual, nobody in the PowerCity could answer the question so I'll ask here.

Does that mean that the TVs have a Freeview decoder in them (similar to the ones you can buy in the UK - once off payment - free stations for life such as all of the BBC channels)?

If so, can you pick the stations up here if you are using a standard Sky box?

Apologies if this is a stupid question. :o

McGintyMcGoo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

actually something i was wondering myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Freeview - DVB-T digital over the air broadcasts.

The TV will have a DVB-T tuner built into it so yes it can pick up DVB-T broadcasts in the MPEG-2 format.

However there are no DVB-T broadcasters in Ireland with the exception of the trials in Dublin which if you are in range you can pick up. You cannot pick the UK signal it is too weak unless you are close to the border in the North.

See the Terrestrial TV forum for more info.

You cannot use a Sky box which is DVB-S to pick up Freeview. There is service called Free Satview in the UK which is Freeview over DVB-S but you must be a UK resident to activate the smart card in your set top box (though you can buy pre-activated ones on eBay).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

It's a shame we can't get freeview over here alright. If you want some freeview channels & you have the standard sky, sky+, or sky HD box you can add channels that don't appear listed as part of skys channel line up.
    UTV, ITV1,2,&3. BBC3 & 4, & some kids channels. The big one if you want to call it that ,that's missing is channel 5. You can set up the frequency but cannot receive it.

If anyone wants the frequencies i can post them up. Or alternatively if anyone has any extras i don't know about i'd be glad to hear from them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Hi PatPark121

It would be great if you could post the frequencies for those stations or just PM me if nobody else wants them.

Thanks in advance!!

McGintyMcGoo:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

No problem.
    UTV/ITV3 - 10.906, V, 22.0, 5/6
    Channel 5 (no harm in adding it , just in case) -12.422, H, 27.5, 2/3
    ITV2/ITV4/CITV - 10.758, V, 22.0, 5/6
    BBC3 & 4 - 10.773, H, 22.0, 5/6.

Just in case no one else knows how to add extra channels onto a sky box.

Go to services, system setup, add channels & manually input the info. Scroll down to the find channels option, hit select & a list should appear. Scroll down through the list, and press yellow to store each channel you want. Then when you've selected all you want, press select to complete the new line up.

Note that as these are not listed channels on skys lineup that if you have sky+ or sky HD you cannot record off them or setup viewing reminders.

All added channels are stored in services, other channels, if you want to watch any of them.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Cheers

McGintyMcGoo

Advertisement