Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Army time off

• 10-08-2007 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am a nineten yr old student and am thinking of enlisting in the army, but I cant seem to find any info on the time off a private gets? I know they get 31 days leave a year, but what about weekends? is it a seven day a week job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Pierce128 wrote:
    I am a nineten yr old student and am thinking of enlisting in the army, but I cant seem to find any info on the time off a private gets? I know they get 31 days leave a year, but what about weekends? is it a seven day a week job?
    well yes your on call 24/7 in the case of a natural diaster like floods or if somehow we ever have another world war which is unlikey to happen anytime soon, but technically its usually just nine to half four everyday and you might get caught for a barrack duty on the weekend the odd time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

LOL, you haven't even joined and your asking about the time off.;) Don't worry there's plenty. I wonder do you still get the next day off after 24 hour guard? You can expect plenty of unsociable hours at first but like any job it settles into a routine unless you go overseas but even then you get time off to visit the local village and (deleted due unproven allegations) ahem:eek:

Beside, I can't think of many armies where a young lad goes off to be a soldier but continues to live with his parents. Which is common in the big city battalions.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Time off...

Well during your recruit training it will be severely restricted and for a short time afterwards. But as mentioned above you'll soon settle into a routine.

When you've established yourself time off is **ehem** grand :) (can't have the civvies here kicking up a stink).

Needless to say that after 22yrs I'm still reluctant to go and start working for a living ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Mairt wrote:
    Time off...

Well during your recruit training it will be severely restricted and for a short time afterwards. But as mentioned above you'll soon settle into a routine.

When you've established yourself time off is **ehem** grand :) (can't have the civvies here kicking up a stink).

Needless to say that after 22yrs I'm still reluctant to go and start working for a living ;)

My neighbors think I'm unemployed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

my friends hate me......... seriously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

well the army is the uniformed dole after all!! i used be on more half days than in full days and was usually always on barrack duty twice a week coz there was **** all else to do em in the barracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The truth is leaking out lads. :D

Think yer forgetting about all the time you do spend in work..duties..exercises,overseas..

swings and roundabouts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Pierce128 wrote:

remember, a weeks leave is 7 days from your allowance.

testicle wrote:
    remember, a weeks leave is 7 days from your allowance.

You do mean security duty allowance and Sub don't you?.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote:

Here, I haven't a clue what he's talkin about either...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Mairt wrote:

He means a week is 7 days from your annual Leave allowance not 5 days as it is in most jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

its usually a 5 day week and youll prob get caught for a 24hour duty at least 1 weekend a month, during the summer youll be on exercises which involves going down the mountains for up to a week to play soldier so that ruins any social life ya might think of having, then once a year portlaois prison comes around and youll spend 2 months feelin sorry for yourself wishin you never joined, the youll have to go overseas and thats basically spendin 6 months livin in some hole wishing you were at home and you get a month off straight away when you get home, all this of course is after your 6 months training in which youll barely be at home, and all this for what you may ask????
    welll thats a good question!
    my advice.....dont join, go to college and get a degree and get a job where youll have to use your brain and have a decent wages! but thats only my 2p of course!

king-stew wrote:
    my advice.....dont join, go to college and get a degree and get a job where youll have to use your brain and have a decent wages! but thats only my 2p of course!

Donkey anus..

Flip side of that coin.

Join, get your degree paid for by the D.F.

Apply for a Potential Officer's course with your degree. If your not successful take your degree to one of the corp units and use your brains.

Gain a sh*t load of work experience in that field/degree decide if your staying. If you want to leave, take all that work experience in your chosen degree/employment & make a ton of money on the outside.

ha even more donkey anus!!
    the D.F wont pay for your degree mate not a hope, and even if by some strange chance they did youd have to pay the money back to get out of the army, and its not as easy as just goin to the corps units, once you finish your training its very very hard to get out of the battalion, ya cant just decide where ya wanna go! your defo stuck there for at least 4 years before youd be near senior enough to get out to another unit!
    just get a degree yourself and go make a ton of money now, be under no illusions the army isnt half as good as it sounds! unfortunatly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

king-stew wrote:
    ha even more donkey anus!!
    the D.F wont pay for your degree mate not a hope, and even if by some strange chance they did youd have to pay the money back to get out of the army, and its not as easy as just goin to the corps units, once you finish your training its very very hard to get out of the battalion, ya cant just decide where ya wanna go! your defo stuck there for at least 4 years before youd be near senior enough to get out to another unit!
    just get a degree yourself and go make a ton of money now, be under no illusions the army isnt half as good as it sounds! unfortunatly....

Oh dear not another one, a little bit of info is a very dangerous thing. I suggest you check your facts before coming on here and spouting. Some facts for you....

The army pay for degrees. As you would say "defo"

The Corps you are in is decided at the end of training, and whats wrong with giving four years to one unit. Any job in civvie street would require much more commitment than that before you make your tons of money.

And trust me a degree does not equal tons of money. If anything nowadays a degree on its own equals very little

Sorry for bursting your little bubble.

muletide wrote:
    And trust me a degree does not equal tons of money. If anything nowadays a degree on its own equals very little

Sorry for bursting your little bubble.

i just said tons of money in reply to mairts post they were his words not mine!

ok so its possible to get a degree out of them but it is very unlikely, bar officers, i do know of 1 person who got one, but hes stuck in the army now because if he wanted to get out hed have to pay them back the money!

and the corps your in is decided at the end of training is it?
    do ya know what me and my lads were told?
    congratulations your in the 2nd batt.....some choice there bud....

see my bubble is doin just fine! :D

king-stew wrote:
    i just said tons of money in reply to mairts post they were his words not mine!

ok so its possible to get a degree out of them but it is very unlikely, bar officers, i do know of 1 person who got one, but hes stuck in the army now because if he wanted to get out hed have to pay them back the money!

and the corps your in is decided at the end of training is it?
    do ya know what me and my lads were told?
    congratulations your in the 2nd batt.....some choice there bud....

see my bubble is doin just fine! :D

afraid your misinformed, you pay for the costs of your degree, and on completion of your degree the army pay you for the piece of paper and you owe then nothing, and if you make it relevant to the army say engineering, its a commision and you go to the field engineers(cha-ching), and oh yea you owe then nothing again for that one!!!

so just to make things crystal clear, are you saying that i could pay for a degree, say accountancy for example, do it part time over 3 years, claim the money back off the army assuming i pass, and then be able to pay the standard 300 euro and get straight out???

read my post i said relevant to the army

• Advertisement

i think you should read your own post, its not very clear, and where you quoted me and highlighted one part, that part doesnt say my friend done a degree relevent to the army, which it wasnt, so im not misinformed after all then....

ok then. if you do a degree relevant to the army you owe them nothing as its relevant to the army!!! if you a degree in antropology well then you owe them as they get nothing out of it!!

Advertisement