Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are LG TVs the Skoda of electronics?

• 10-08-2007 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

For some reason, I always associated LG with PowerCity (and thought that it was their own brandname for some time) and assumed that the quality of their TVs was inferior to other brands. :confused:

Are they a reputable name and would you buy one. I was look at a 47inch HD TV today in PowerCity for €2299.99 which was considerable cheaper than the equivalent from other manufacturers. To the naked, the quality looked great too. Is there a catch?

Cheers

McGintyMcGoo

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I used to live in Australia where LG is a much bigger brand name.
    I bought a 37" LG from Power City about a month ago for €910. I know nothing about TVs. I just bought this for my Xbox360 and so far everybody who's seen it thinks it looks cool. Admittedly they know nothing about TVs either but I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

For some reason, I always associated LG with PowerCity (and thought that it was their own brandname for some time) and assumed that the quality of their TVs was inferior to other brands. :confused:

Are they a reputable name and would you buy one. I was look at a 47inch HD TV today in PowerCity for €2299.99 which was considerable cheaper than the equivalent from other manufacturers. To the naked, the quality looked great too. Is there a catch?

Cheers

McGintyMcGoo

Much bigger brand overseas than here.

have had a progressive scan DVD player with 5.1 surround for 18 months now and it is still a savage thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah LG are pretty decent one of the big brands but not too well known in certain areas. LG do a lot research in LCD development as they make LCD's for just about everybody.

The only thing I'd do is check the model number of what your buying to see if it is a recent model.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LG Group is a large South Korean chaebol (conglomerate), which produces electronics (including domotics), mobile phones, and petrochemical products and operates subsidiaries like LG Electronics. LG Group sponsors the LG Cup Go Tournament.

Created in 1947 as "Lucky-Goldstar", it assumed the abbreviated name of "LG" in 1995. LG is also an abbreviation of "Lucky Geumseong" (럭키금성) in South Korea, which is translated into English as Lucky Venus (Goldstar). Before then, many electronic products were sold under the brand name Goldstar, while some other household products (not available outside South Korea) were sold under the brand name of Lucky. The Lucky brand was famous for household cleaning products and laundry detergents in South Korea. Before massive industrialization of South Korean society, the name Lucky was synonymous with toothpaste.

Since 2001, LG has two joint ventures with Royal Philips Electronics: LG Philips Display and LG.Philips LCD. LG has made a joint venture with Nortel Networks and has created LG-Nortel Co. Ltd.

LG also has a joint venture with Hitachi which manufactures optical data storage solutions like DVD-ROM drives, CD writers, etc. LG has owned the LG Twins baseball club since 1989.

LG acquired a majority share of the American television manufacturing company Zenith in 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

They are some what along the lines of the philips brand, not really too much in the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Duffff-Man wrote:
    They are some what along the lines of the philips brand, not really too much in the difference.
    they used be, when there was a sort of LG/philips partnership for development. Not anymore

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

LG and Philips still have a partnership for the manufacture of LCD screens.

byte wrote:
    LG and Philips still have a partnership for the manufacture of LCD screens.

i thought the partership was gone and philips were just a customer for lg screens now?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's possible. It depends on what they mean by "partnership" I suppose. It would probably make more sense for one to make all the panels instead of both anyway.

Similarly Sony bought into Samsung's LCD manufacturing plant.

www.lgphilips-lcd.com is their site.

i thought before they were development partners, joint research, then philips stopped researching, and just started buying what lg developed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Apparently they are huge in the USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I read somewhere LG made the first HD screens on the market.

Apparently they are huge in the USA

lived in the us for 6 years, i would have said while there that lg were huge in europe, not in the usa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

There nice sets, infact there newest range of stuff are pretter than the Samsung sets.

(nice gloss black finish, but with strong lines, not this girly curved and chrome shít)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Id rate LG as one of the best out there... they got great stuff for decent prices

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The only problem I'd see with that is the price. When you consider they have the same model in the 42" version for €1500 (http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-42LF6), you really have to wonder if the extra 5" is really worth that much. I don't know anything about the 47" version, but reading about the 42" on http://www.avforums.com/ and it got some pretty good opinions.

In general, my impressions of LG as a whole are that while they're not quite at the top end, they do some very good and reliable kit at relativly very good prices. Kind of like Ford are to cars, sure there are better ones out there, but if you look at one of their products you'll be hard pressed to beat it in the same price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

8T8 wrote:
    The only thing I'd do is check the model number of what your buying to see if it is a recent model.

Once you have the model how do you check which is more recent?

I was looking at Toshiba 37C, 37WL, 37X or a Sony KDL40S, how do I check which is the newer model?

Advertisement