Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

No it has not happened. You are wrong. Willing to accept you could be wrong about anything else ? :rolleyes:

ok, he didn't actually SCORE the goal. but still my point was a valid one, Lucas definitely won them a game after Gerrard was taken off. no need to be overly pedantic about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think this team would work even better

Alonso--Mascherano

Lucas

Gerrard
    Kewell/Babel--
    Torres

I think the midfield would dominate most teams, and keep a lot of possession. Give to the ball to the magic men up front, and let them do the rest. It'd be like Chelsea's old team that won the leagues, solid in defense, held good possession, had magic men up front to get them goals. I think Gerrard/Torres/Kewell would be good enough to score 1-2 goals against most teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PHB wrote: »
    Em, well Lucas came on and hit that shot that Phil Neville saved with his hand, so yes. Also, when Lucas came on, the team played better
    Erm, well no, he did not get them the winner, Kuyt did. Lucas has not yet scored for Liverpool. So just to reiterate, he did not get the winner, he was involved in it mind.

What do you mean overly pedantic about it, he did not win them the game, Kuyt being steady from the spot won the game and how can you possibly say that Gerrard would not have done exactly the same ting or better if he was not on the pitch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think many people see 4-5-1/4-3-3 as Liverpool's best formation with the current squad. It allows us to accomodate Gerrard in his advanced role, allows us two defensive midfielders (our strongest position!), Torres is undoubtedly strong enough to lead the line, and playing off the front man is Babel's natural position.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Gerrard would definately be catered for in Uniteds or Arsenals team. no doubt about it.
    I normally see peoples points even when I don't agree with them but I think this time you are talking crap. Wow a game where he didn't play too well...every player has that. Gerrard is the perfect material for captain and does stuff that Scholes could never do, (e.g Win The FA cup nearly on his own, Drag his team back from games such as Istanbul Final and *******cos (although Sinama Pongolle deserves loads of credit there).

Back to tonight, Finnan was immense and kept us in the game, I think it could be one of his best games for us. A man of the match performance (but he won't get it because of 2 goals from Torres)

He'll probably get a 6 in the paper tomorrow!

how can you possibly say that Gerrard would not have done exactly the same ting or better if he was not on the pitch ?

because he was on the pitch for the bulk of the game when Liverpool looked decidedly ordinary, yet when Lucas came on they finally started having enough possession and making enough chances to suggest they might actually be able to win the game.

of course Gerrard might have made his piece of magic that clouds all the Liverpool fan's impression of the game to thinking he actually played a lot better than he did. but he went for long enough in that game not having done it to suggest he mightn't on this occasion.

and it was Lucas who won the penalty Kuyt converted. any muppet with a decent shot could convert it. Lucas's contribution was unquestionably the catalyst that won them that game the way it panned out, even if he didn't fire the fatal shot so to speak. you're being pedantic because you're looking at the name of the scoresheet, rather than the broader perspective under which that goal occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

any muppet with a decent shot ? Your understanding of the game and your willingness to allow your view of liverpool players to be tarnished by your obvious dislike for them have blinded you to the fact that any muppet with a decent shot is not really who you are going to go for when you have a penalty to take. But I shall not make too much of an effort to disillusion you.

this lad had a decent shot mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWXq_-LdxHk

as does this lad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_mZ1D0BCZQ

and him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR9-pYZIy1g

and this fella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MZewfxe97E&feature=related

I could go on but I think you probably get the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Alonso--Mascherano

Lucas

Gerrard
    Kewell/Babel--
    Torres

I think the midfield would dominate most teams, and keep a lot of possession. Give to the ball to the magic men up front, and let them do the rest. It'd be like Chelsea's old team that won the leagues, solid in defense, held good possession, had magic men up front to get them goals. I think Gerrard/Torres/Kewell would be good enough to score 1-2 goals against most teams.

I think it would work better with Gerrard as one of the three in the middle - don't want to get too defensive. Then a front 3 of Torres, Babel/Kuyt and Kewell.

I could go on but I think you probably get the point.

yeah i get the point all right, I see with your condescending attitude and rose tinted glasses your incapable of having a rational discussion concerning your beloved Liverpool. Which is understandable I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sajan wrote: »
    Gerrard may not be the best player in the world that the English press make out but to say he is holding the team back is ridiculous. He would play center midfield for ANY team in the premiership. No doubt about that. In fact the only team in Europe in which he would fail to get a game on a regular basis is Barcelona. And many people would agree with that who don't support Liverpool.

Agree with most of that. Not a world-beater but by no means is he holding Liverpool back. Dont think he'd get a game at Milan either though.

• Advertisement

Alonso--Mascherano

Lucas

Gerrard
    Kewell/Babel--
    Torres

Not too sure if that would be a great lineup. Theres a big difference between playing Drogba up front on his own and playing Torres up front on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB are you for real? Has Scholes had a decent game in the last few months? Has Ferguson not said before that he would have loved to sign Gerrard? Gerrard would DEFINATELY get into both Arsenals and Utds teams, as was said he would feature in any team in the world rather easily.

Good result tonight, hopefully the yanks got the message that Rafa shouldnt be going anywhere.

Archimedes - Are you implying that Drogba works up top but Torres wouldnt? Torres looks 10 times the player drogba was in his first year at Chelsea, he is so young he can only get better, Torres was, without a doubt, the best PL buy of the summer ands is more than capable of spearheading any attack.

People need to start showing Liverpool more respect, especially those clowns on RTE.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/sol/newsid_7110000/newsid_7118100?redirect=7118195.stm&news=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&nbram=1

great interview with Rafa .... I ****ing love him :)

Best fans in the world, people trying to get on the internet and see the support he is recieving, its a good thing he hasnt been on boards.ie over the last few weeks! ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Archimedes - Are you implying that Drogba works up top but Torres wouldnt? Torres looks 10 times the player drogba was in his first year at Chelsea, he is so young he can only get better, Torres was, without a doubt, the best PL buy of the summer ands is more than capable of spearheading any attack.

No thats not my point at all. I know Torres is an excellent player - Im extremely jealous of the fact that you lot have him. Im just saying that Drogba is a big and strong - the exact type of player you want on his own up front. You would not be maximising Torres effectiveness by playing him on his own up front, he is mroe suited to a 2 man strike force as with the old Chelsea system that PHB was referring to, you need a Drogba type player. And yes, Torres debut season is far more impressive than Drogba's debut season. But Drogba is still a much better striker.

I aint so sure tbh, why do you automatically say Drogba is better? Both have been equally impressive this year, if either nick it, it'd be Torres imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Who cares who is better, both are in top form and doing the business for their clubs, can't ask for more

I dont automatically say he is better, I have seen a lot of both players and while I wont hide the fact that Torres is an excellent player, I just rate Drogba higher despite the fact that footballing skills aside, I utterly detest him. Dont get me wrong, Torres is a 8.5/10 player to me - I just think Droba is an 8.75 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What are you basing the assumption that Torres works better with a striker partner?

From what I've seen of him, he's a real me-feiner up front. He'll go for goal more often than try to bring a strike partner in. He plays OK with Voronin, but he's a class apart from all our other forwards, and I can't seem him striking up a formidable partnership with any of them.

That is in no way a criticism of him. He's exactly the player we need at Liverpool, a composed, clinical, hungry striker with a real eye for goal. He'll score goals if the chances are created (and even if they're not!). And for my money, a 4-3-3 with Babel, Kewell and Gerrard behind him is much more likely to create those chances than having him in a 4-4-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Anyone else sick of Andy Grey, a nobody from Carlyle in scotland. Last night he was overboard in all his statements about liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

have to admit i didnt know an awful lot about torres before he signed for liverpool but every game that passes i get more and more impressed. his hunger and work rate is so good, he always wants the ball and plays the game giving off no guff to his teammates or to the opposition when he gets clattered.

was disappointed with mashcerano and gerrard tonight, but mascherano is just back from injury and done the defensive stuff well (bar getting shoved off the ball for the goal!) and gerrard was man of the match on saturday so lets not dump him just yet.
    Do united fans want to get rid of ronaldo after one poor performance 4 days after a man of the match performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I think it is silly for people to say that there is no way the Wenger would replace Cesc for Gerrard or Ferguson Scholes for Gerrard and that would stop him getting into their teams. Both managersmay not replace them players but I could put my life on it if they would replace Gerrard with Flamini, Diaby, Gilberto or Carrick, Hargreaves, Fletcher and Anderson. What you guys are arguing is like saying there is no way that if Drogba went to United he would put Rooney out of the team, he might or might not, but he would definitely put Saha or Tevez out of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I think the problem with Gerrard getting into UTDs team is that they play or at least like to play 4-4-2. Aresnal also like to play 4-4-2 although they have been forced to change this due to injuries recently. What a lot of people are saying (including Liverpool fans here) is that Gerard is not at his best playing central in a 4-4-2. His best postion is when he has two solid DM/CM behind him, a striker in front of him and two wide(ish) players beside him.

Now would Utd, or Aresnal change their system to accomodate Gerard, no I dont think so. Is he better than Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson(at the moment), Flamini, etc Yes, but does would he suit either team, I'm not so sure.

Also somebody mentioned Ferguson saying he would love to buy Gerard, this was a long time ago when he would still have been considered a young player and could have been developed into a different kind of midfielder. As someone else said he started to become Liverpool saviour (because he had to), and this altered his game alot. I actually think this began after Owen left.

Who is faster? The 1998 version of Michael Owen or the 2007 model of Torres??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

If united, arsenal or chelsea could buy Gerrard they would.
    If he was at any of those clubs he would play, end of story.
    Fat frank wouldnt dislodge fabregas but thats not saying he would get into the arsenal team
    A more apt discussion is would alonso replace fabregas or scholes?
    My answer is yes for scholes no for fabregas.

On a side note that RTE panel are a pure disgrace.
    All johnny giles knows anything about is "honesty of effort" whatever the **** that means.
    Thought it was hilarious after slating liverpool for 15 minutes none of them would open
    their mouths when Bill asked are we looking at the future champions league winners?
    They remind me of the old guys sitting in the balcony from the muppet show
    Critical of everyone for the sake of being critical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gerrard-Fabregas or Gerrard-Scholes would be completely unbalanced and there is no way Fergie or Wenger would play it. As for Alonso, he was utterly shocking last season and peoples opinions of him are still being based on that first season. To suggest he would replace Fabregas or Scholes is just silly, both have been the fulcrum of their team for the last 2 years, and both teams are better because of it.
    I still think Gerrard can't play in the center of a 2 man midfield. He's just too inconsistant, and too wasteful for it not to negatively effect the team. He has to play either at the front of a three man midfield or on the right. Lampard is the same, he can only play at the front of a three man midfield. To play either of those players you need to play a 3 man midfield.

Lads, RTE are always a joke. They only say stuff to get people to talk about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The RTE guys may talk ****e at the best of times, but its enjoyable ****e.

Even though I don't agree with a lot of what they said last night, I'd prefer to watch them than any other group of pundits.

For the sake of argument, i thought they went on a bit of a character assasination of Voronin, he didn't have a good night, but he has put in good performances for Liverpool this season. Then at the end, Dunphy was listing the players that shouldn't be in a top-tier side, and he included Harry Kewell, who was instrumental in the second goal.

gucci wrote: »
    Who is faster? The 1998 version of Michael Owen or the 2007 model of Torres??

Owen without a doubt, you'd get dizzy watching the little fecker run all over the place. Pity about the injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    For the sake of argument, i thought they went on a bit of a character assasination of Voronin, he didn't have a good night, but he has put in good performances for Liverpool this season. Then at the end, Dunphy was listing the players that shouldn't be in a top-tier side, and he included Harry Kewell, who was instrumental in the second goal.

Thought they went a bit hard on Voronin alright. I think he is a useful player but I thought that he played better than what he is at the moment when he played for Leverkusen.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Owen without a doubt, you'd get dizzy watching the little fecker run all over the place. Pity about the injuries.

yeah i was thinking that but its just been so long since we seen mickey at full flight!! although torres has more strength obviously than owen did in his early days.

on vorinin and dunphy: id agreee with him somewhat as vornin seems to lack a bit of guile and he has been poor in his last few performances, but come on you hardly expect dunphy etc to actually study football and remember more than the game he has just watched?

True. Overall, I think Torres is a much better player. But Owen in his prime was one of the fastest players Ive ever seen, like lightning he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Enough about Gerrard - what about 'arry then. It's great to see him back after so long out (in/out/in/out again) with injuries. His relatively brief appearences for us in the last few games have reminded us of one thing - that he's by far the best winger we have at the club. The game certainly seemed to change for the better after his introduction last night.

His constant injuries have annoyed the &^(# out of me over the last few years and we've had a few false dawns with him but I genuinely hope he can now stay injury free, keep improving on his fitness & his game and show us a glimpse or two of what he's capable of. Who knows - he might even earn himself a year or two contract extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Archimedes wrote: »
    No thats not my point at all. I know Torres is an excellent player - Im extremely jealous of the fact that you lot have him. Im just saying that Drogba is a big and strong - the exact type of player you want on his own up front. You would not be maximising Torres effectiveness by playing him on his own up front, he is mroe suited to a 2 man strike force as with the old Chelsea system that PHB was referring to, you need a Drogba type player. And yes, Torres debut season is far more impressive than Drogba's debut season. But Drogba is still a much better striker.

i agree with all that except the "much better" part.
    he is better alright, but not by much. Torres seems to drag liverpool kicking and screaming through games and drogs did take two years to become "brilliant".

Jazzy wrote: »
    i agree with all that except the "much better" part.
    he is better alright, but not by much. Torres seems to drag liverpool kicking and screaming through games and drogs did take two years to become "brilliant".
    exactly i think in his brief showing for liverpool he has the character to become better than drogba, torres dosnt seem to get involved in petty stuff and card waving etc. gets clattered,gets up and gets on with it. if drogba could do that he would be a great player

As for Alonso, he was utterly shocking last season and peoples opinions of him are still being based on that first season.

That is nonsense, granted he wasnt as good as his first season, but, utterly shocking?! he was still one of the top midfielders in the league, even when he wasnt at his best and he was a shoo in for pretty much any team in the league.

interesting read:

Stolen from RAWK: (Translated by AnotherSpanishfan from a spanish radio show)

Jose Ramon: Fernando Torres, Good evening!

Torres:(in a somewhat subdued tone) Hello, good evening.

Jose Ramon: You’re saying like you just got a draw…but you’ve just won the match, put four goals past Porto, two goals from yourself and you come on ‘hello, good evening’ what’s gotten to you?

Torres:[laughs] No, I’m just a bit tired

Jose Ramon: Very tired?

Torres: Tired but very happy, for everything

Jose Ramon: It’s been a really tough week, no?

Torres:…Yeah, we knew we had to win and the way the match was turning out with the score 1-1 we couldn’t find a clear way to their goal but at the end after the substitutions the team found a way and we scored three more goals. This is Liverpool, and when things go our away we have a lot of firepower.

Jose Ramon: Tell me about the atmosphere…

Torres: Today it was amazing. For many reasons, because all that was going on this week with Rafa, and the people here when the team needs of them they really support you more than ever and it’s been a gift for all of us. For those that had never lived a night like this before and especially for Benitez because we’ve seen that the supporters are really behind him, above everything else, no? So, we must be really proud because it’s very impressing.

Jose Ramon: Guillem was telling me earlier that they’ve put up a website and it had more than 50, 000 messages, lets save Benitez! ?

Torres: Yeah, I think he’s more than a manager. He’s one of the greats in their history and people feel that way about him and they show it. And we all had an idea that he’s somewhat special here but honestly today it’s been really impressing. I’m really impressed of how much he’s loved by the people, above anything else, even the players.

Jose Ramon: And you? How about yourself, do they love you too?Are you starting to become the star of the team?

Torres: Nah, not the star because…

Jose Ramon: They have many

Torres:…they have other players that are well above but I do feel their affection, the support for my team-mates and with each passing day I’m feeling more of a part of this and happier with everything and at the end of the day those things are reflected on the pitch, no?
    Jose Ramon: Guillem Balagué, good evening

Guillem: Good evening Jose Ramon

Jose Ramon: Liverpool needs to win now in Marseille in order to qualify..?

Guillem: Correct. It’s been a difficult match but with a good result, 4-1 and two goals from Torres, but like you’ve said they need to win in Marseilles in order to qualify. Today’s match began, like Fernando Torres said, two hours before the start of the match. A thousand supporters gathered near a pub close to the stadium and marched towards Anfield carrying banners, signs in support of Benitez, which has carried over to and throughout the match. But let’s have Benitez himself tell you about it. He’s at the gates and about to go home.

Jose Ramon: Hello Rafa, good evening.

Rafa: Hello, good evening

Jose Ramon: Less tension now?

Rafa:[sounds very calm] Yes, I said in the press conference, and it’s true, that I haven’t got any personal problems with the new owners. The only thing was that I was trying to act as a manager to improve my team now for January and for next season and they told me it wasn’t the time now. I didn’t understand why but now things have been, more or less, clarified and once they arrive here we will clear things up. And if meanwhile we can keep winning, then it’s even better.

Jose Ramon: The news we were getting here in Spain was that Benitez was going to leave Liverpool and once the season was over he was leaving Liverpool, and such things…Like things were really bad

Rafa: Yeah, Guillem here, he’s very exaggerated …

Jose Ramon: [laughs]

Rafa: Nah, the truth is that what carries over from England to Spain is usually over-magnified and at the end the situation ,off the record, as Guillem might say, might be of tension but at least I was trying to do things like always before, knowing that my responsibility is to try and win matches and that’s it.

Jose Ramon: Your relationship with the Americans that have bought Liverpool, what is it really like? And do they like football, do they understand it?

Rafa: The relationship was very good. Even when we played Arsenal, which I believe was on October 28th, we had a meeting and it was fantastic. The ideas and the plans for the future…and they were really happy about it. All of a sudden, I don’t know why, something changed and we exchanged information and that’s where the misunderstanding happened. Because we couldn’t speak directly and we had to do it over e-mails and such and we had contacted that way and it was perhaps where we had a ‘misunderstanding’ as they say here. But in the personal aspect, no problems because like I said, the relationship was very good. And as a matter of fact, they have always shown concern for my state of happiness. “We want Rafa to be happy”, “ As long as Rafa is happy”, so it’s been a bit of a surprise and let’s hope we can sort this out and fix everything.

Jose Ramon: Yes because that statement that came out saying “stop asking for players and coach the ones he has”

Rafa: Yes, but I think it was more the interpretation it was given or perhaps the off-the-record things that were written but I don’t think the situation was explained very well because I wasn’t asking for more money as it was believed. I was looking at two free players, and another player at a really good price after selling another player, which would’ve given us actually more money back and that’s where I couldn’t understand things. But to drop this issue which I think has been talked about enough already, the most important thing, I insist, is that I have no personal problem with them or against them and I think it’s the same way for them. And once we get to sit down we will clear up this matter and that’s it.

Jose Ramon: But the important thing is the 4-1 scoreline against Porto and Fernando’s two goals…?

Rafa: Yeah. Honestly, it was a very difficult match because Porto are a very good team with quality and we were wary about their counter-attacking play but we’ve given them six or seven chances to counter-attack against us, it was like we were training “counter-attack, here we go, and again another one” until we were able to settle and we scored the second goal and with Harry Kewell and Crouch on the pitch we gained more control of the ball and were able to win the air battles inside their area and it allowed us to keep the ball further up the pitch and score those goals.

Jose Ramon: How’s Fernando then? How’s he adapting?

Rafa: Fine. Gets better every time. He creates a lot of goal situations, missed a few the other day, but he is able to create for himself and today he’s scored those two goals. I think he’s a player that will continue to improve and will keep growing as a player.

Jose Ramon: And then there’s this webpage that Liverpool supporters created, saverafa! You’ve become a star over there…

Rafa: No, the truth is…that’s why I say that what is perceived from Spain sometimes is not true. The supporters here are amazing, I am very happy, they give me a lot of support and we try always like Bill Shankly said to make people happy because we are winning matches and they are enjoying it.

Jose Ramon: At 5pm on that webpage saverafa.com, there was more than 50, 000 messages

Rafa: Liverpool have a lot of supporters around the world. At the end, people join together and like I said the supporters are very, very good. This is a city that is used to suffering and that likes for people to fight for their own cause and I think that’s what they’ve tried to show, no? that the fight is for improving the team and I think that for the supporters that is very important.

Jose Ramon: You need to win now in Marseilles

Rafa: Yes, we knew we had to beforehand. Now it’s better because it’s the same thing but we are more confident.

Jose Ramon: Well, alright then. I give you my blessings, lets hope you are lucky.

Rafa: Thank you, cheers.

Jose Ramon: Good luck, manager

Rafa: Thank you , you too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jose Ramon: The news we were getting here in Spain was that Benitez was going to leave Liverpool and once the season was over he was leaving Liverpool, and such things…Like things were really bad

Rafa: Yeah, Guillem here, he’s very exaggerated …

Hmmm Indeed! The hacks, even Rafa-friendly ones are'nt much help at times like this.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

good read thanks!

NOV 29 2007 EXCLUSIVE BY TONY BARRETT, LIVERPOOL ECHO

FERNANDO TORRES today praised the Liverpool fans for their show of solidarity with Rafa Benitez against Porto last night and hailed his manager as a "great".

The Spanish striker scored twice in Liverpool's 4-1 win over Porto, a victory which means the Reds will qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League if they beat Marseille in France in a fortnight.

Torres said: "We knew we had to win and the way the match was turning out with the score 1-1 we were finding it hard to find a clear way to their goal. But at the end, after the substitutions were made, the team found a way and we scored three more goals.

"This is Liverpool, and when things go our away we have a lot of firepower.
    "The atmosphere was amazing.

“For many reasons, because all that was going on this week with Rafa, and the people here really get behind the team when we need their backing most.

"They really support you as much as they can and that is a gift for all of us.

"It was great for those that had never enjoyed a night like this before and especially for Benitez because we’ve seen that the supporters are really behind him.

"I think Benitez is more than a manager.

“He’s one of the greats in their history and people feel that way about him and they show it.

"And we all had an idea that he’s somewhat special here but, honestly, what I saw at Anfield tonight was really impressive.

"I’m really impressed at how much he’s loved by the people, above anything else, even the players.

"I feel their affection, the support for my team-mates and with each passing day I’m feeling more of a part of this and happier with everything and at the end of the day those things are reflected on the pitch."

Meanwhile, Jamie Carragher today described Torres as “world class”.
    He said: “Torres is a world class forward. He’s probably right up there with anyone now in striking terms.

“I only have to mark him in training, thankfully, because the raw pace he’s got is going to cause anyone problems.
    “It’s not just his pace or the goals he scores though. It’s the graft he puts in.

“He works hard every game and puts himself about. Even if he doesn’t score, he makes it really difficult for defenders and that’s exactly what you want from a forward.

“It was a relief when we got the second goal because at 1-1 anything can happen and if they had nicked a second we would have been in trouble.

“But we got the second through Fernando and it was a great goal which showed what a top player he is.”

If me posting articles is pissing anyone off, let me know and I'll cut it out :) Just when i read something good, figure it should be in here!

PS, and at least there not as long as Redspiders posts! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They're NOT there :p

To be honest a linky would do. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement

Doubt if there's any substance to this story but ...

Summary: Hicks prepared to sell his stake. DIC supposedly ready to make a new bid.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/11/30/hicks-set-to-sell-stake-89520-20183345/

Obviously it's from a tabloid so should be treated with the respect the tabloids deserve. However the rumours of a Hicks/Gillet split have been doing the rounds for a few weeks (even before this incident with Rafa iirc) and word was that Gillet was looking for another party to buy out Hicks (Krafts name naturally got mentioned). The lack of any comment from Gillet recently could be seen to add weight to this - or maybe they were just playing good cop / bad cop.

The valuation is bull**** - even $1b would be way off the mark. Not sure why but I was never a fan of DIC - however they're no fools and they'd only get involved if the investment made sense and it doesn't at that kind of money.

Isn't it funny how none of the other papers appear to have picked up on this if it's supposedly known within the investment/banking world in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

zing wrote: »
    Doubt if there's any substance to this story but ...

Summary: Hicks prepared to sell his stake. DIC supposedly ready to make a new bid.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/11/30/hicks-set-to-sell-stake-89520-20183345/

Obviously it's from a tabloid so should be treated with the respect the tabloids deserve. However the rumours of a Hicks/Gillet split have been doing the rounds for a few weeks (even before this incident with Rafa iirc) and word was that Gillet was looking for another party to buy out Hicks (Krafts name naturally got mentioned). The lack of any comment from Gillet recently could be seen to add weight to this - or maybe they were just playing good cop / bad cop.

The valuation is bull**** - even $1b would be way off the mark. Not sure why but I was never a fan of DIC - however they're no fools and they'd only get involved if the investment made sense and it doesn't at that kind of money.

Isn't it funny how none of the other papers appear to have picked up on this if it's supposedly known within the investment/banking world in London.

I doubt very much that this is true. Wasn't hicks the one pushing for an even bigger stadium. I think he'll want to be around to benefit from the revenues that will come from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

From the telegraph
    However, results have been inconsistent, sparking criticism of Benitez's rotation policy and prompting the Spaniard to demand more funds in January.

Considering none of that is true i would have to say that the rest of the article is probably bull aswell.
    If he wanted to sell let him sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He wanted to secure Kaladze & Masherano, not sure on the specifics, but yes all these stories seem full of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Anyone know if the Bolton game is on telly on Sunday??? Haven't had time to trawl through websites to find out.. Cheers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The bolton game doesn't seem to be on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Its listed on some "foreign channels"

English Premier League - Week 15
    Liverpool Vs Bolton Wanderers ko: 15:00

C+ Sport 1 (Poland)
    C+ Sport 2 (Scandinavia)
    DigitAlb SuperSport 3
    EuroSport 2 HU/RO
    Fox Sports Turkey
    Fox Turk (Turkey)
    Hi Soccer
    Lumiere TV
    NTV+ Sport On-Line
    Premiere Sport Portal
    Show Sports 1 & 2
    Sky Calcio 9
    Sport 2 (Ukr)
    SuperSport 3 [Hellas]
    SuperSport 5 [ZA]
    TeleDeporte

source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The squad I would pick for the Bolton game (not what I think Rafa will pick).

Reina

Finnan--Carragher--Hyypia--Arbeloa

Mascherano--Lucas

Gerrard

----Benayoun
    Kewell
    Torres

Subs: Itandje, Crouch, Kuyt, Babel, Riise

Will LFC tv be showing the Bolton game at all ? (Obviously not live)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Is Alonso not back for you lot yet? You seem to be doing well without him, IMHO he's you best player. But not in the least bit missed...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement