Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Strength in depth ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Nailz wrote: »
    Is Alonso not back for you lot yet? You seem to be doing well without him, IMHO he's you best player. But not in the least bit missed...

Not back until the 28th of December. :( Luckily, CM is our strongest position so we have coped ok. Unfortunately, he has been out injured alongside Agger which leaves us without our best passing defender & mdifielder.

Found a thread on a utd forum discussing Torres. They seem genuinely gutted not to have signed him themselves. Some are reasonable and admit he is a great player, others seem to be trying to convince themselves that hes not very good. This one post had me cracking up with laughter. Hilarious.

-Hes replying to a comment that stated that Torres has 10 goals from 12 starts.
    Like Rooney until the last 2 months of last season, they came in bunches but overall consistency was poor. Look at the teams be scored against

In the EPL:

8 starts, 3 sub appearances, 5 goals.

Derby Hattrick - Whipping boys of the team
    Blackburn - Good goal
    Chelsea - Awesome goal.

In the CL:
    3 starts, 1 sub, 2 goals:

Porto: 2 goals.

Your stats also included the carling cup. Nice way to buffer them up by putting his scoring against lower league teams.

So now if you discount the Carling cup and Derby(Let's face it, they are Championship material as best)

He has scored 4 goals in 10 starts.

Remove Porto and and it becomes 2 goals in 9 starts...

See where I am going about his consistency.

Of course if he scores in bunches like this in the final 2 months of the season when the trophies are up for grabs then great, he will have made me look stupid.

You do still need some modicum of consistency to get to that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

hehe, "so you see, if we remove all the games he's scored goals in, then he hasn't scored any at all!"

Dont know what to expect for the Bolton game. I think Crouchy is a cert to counter Bolton's strength in the air.

Could see Sissoko for similer reasons. Wouldn't be surprised by Sissoko and Masch center with Gerrard and Riise wide and Crouch and Kuyt up front. More stamina and strength then finese.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    hehe, "so you see, if we remove all the games he's scored goals in, then he hasn't scored any at all!"

Dont know what to expect for the Bolton game. I think Crouchy is a cert to counter Bolton's strength in the air.

Could see Sissoko for similer reasons. Wouldn't be surprised by Sissoko and Masch center with Gerrard and Riise wide and Crouch and Kuyt up front. More stamina and strength then finese.

You know Gerrard hasnt played wide right at all this season ? Hes played in a free role on the right in a 4-2-3-1 but not in a 4-4-2. I doubt he will be leaving CM any time soon. He has scored 7 goals in the last 7 games he has played in that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa sends signal to Crouch

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/national_sport/index.var.106124.0.crouch_going_nowhere_says_rafa.php?
    He added: "He does not play every game, but now with two games every week for some while he will get his chances to impress."

There is a growing fear at Anfield he may see out that deal without signing a new one and be able to leave for nothing - just like Steve McManaman once did at Liverpool.

Benitez added: "I do not think it will be the situation that he will walk away for nothing in 18 months, that will not happen. For now, though, I just want him to score more goals.

"The key is for him to score, play well and be happy. Then we will have the conversation about a contract.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    You know Gerrard hasnt played wide right at all this season ? Hes played in a free role on the right in a 4-2-3-1 but not in a 4-4-2. I doubt he will be leaving CM any time soon. He has scored 7 goals in the last 7 games he has played in that position.

well in reality he's never really played wide right ever, its always been a freeish role with him coming more central most of the time, you know what i mean.

mike65 wrote: »

Said it many times, selling Crouch would be silly. Hes 2nd or maybe 3rd, best striker depending on who you listen to.

Torres
    Kuyt
    Crouch
    Babel

I'd be happy with that.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    well in reality he's never really played wide right ever, its always been a freeish role with him coming more central most of the time, you know what i mean.

ok - but this season he hasn't played on the right in a 4-4-2 full stop. Hes only played on the right in a 4-2-3-1 and that was only once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Funny insert from a Rafa interview on LFC.TV.
    Bolton also have Mikel Alonso, Xabi's brother, in their ranks. Have you spoken to him about the qualities his brother has?

I was talking with Xabi before about his brother and I have met his brother before - he is a nice boy.

But he's not a player you are interested in?
    (laughs) I already have one Alonso.

Ah Rafa, looks like things are smoothed over with the owners too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Hicks rubbishes claims he's about to sell his shares. Described recent events as a big mis understanding but there's one noticeable thing he's not done - no mention of support fro Rafa..

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157883071201-1112.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Is the game not on TV tomorrow? I thought Setanta showed some Sunday games..

• Advertisement

nope, not on TV unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

There'll be a live stream anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

anyone know the reserve team that played today inc subs, Collins was meant to be in squad!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/youth/collins/

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    anyone know the reserve team that played today inc subs, Collins was meant to be in squad!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/youth/collins/

kdjac

He got the second 45mins alright, though no mention of him in the match report. Pool went 2-0 down early in second half, but battled back to get a draw. Im quite excited about some of the Youth Liverpool have at the moment, moreso then i've been in a long time.

Full squad;
    Liverpool Under-18 team: Martin Hansen, Steven Irwin, Shane O'Connor, Daniel Ayala, Joe Kennedy, Shaun Highdale, David Amoo, Astrit Ajdarevic, Marvin Pourie, Nathan Eccleston, Gary MacKay Steven (Michael Collins 45). Subs unused: Chris Oldfield (GK), Mattone Awang, Ben Parsonage, Alex Kacaniklic.

Match report;
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157884071201-1841.htm

will the game be on liverpool tv ?

Fair play to the lad smashing player unlikely to get near rafas team but will play for ireland some day.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

liverpool tv cant show live games. They dont show anything during matches. All to do with prem league regulations.

GBX wrote: »
    liverpool tv cant show live games. They dont show anything during matches. All to do with prem league regulations.

its a reserve game, man utd tv show theirs and if an ex pats player played for them i would watch it but they dont have any.

Collins left our schoolboys to join pool, pool tv doesnt have a tv planner :|

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

sorry lads .. I thought the question was about the bolton game. Might watch that then! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Said it many times, selling Crouch would be silly. Hes 2nd or maybe 3rd, best striker depending on who you listen to.

Torres
    Kuyt
    Crouch
    Babel

I'd be happy with that.

But yet it's still the weakest forward combination of any of the top 4 and still the biggest Pool problem. :confused:

Going a few posts up now, i would think all football fans have been excited by Torres thus far in his career,i for one always thought he was a quality player in Spain since his league debut.Signing for the Pool is hardly gonna change my mind on him.Quality is quality.Most imports to the PL need 12-24 months to settle in and he has done it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

KdjaCL wrote: »
    pool tv doesnt have a tv planner :|

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/tv/

• Advertisement

its a reserve game, man utd tv show theirs and if an ex pats player played for them i would watch it but they dont have any.

kdjac
    zing wrote: »

zing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Weird rumours today involving Newcastle. First, they want Crouch for 8m which I cant see happening and hopefully wont and secondly, they want our Luis Garcia back from Spain. Not too sure I'd like to see him back in the PL unless its for us.

Also a potential Rush Vs Beardsley head to head in the PFA centenary match today on Sky Sports.

Crouch for 8 million? Ha!

Luis Garcia returned to Spain for family reasons as much as anything, he's at Athletico who are doing well. More nonsense. :)

Mike.

Would not be happy with either of those things happening, Luis is a very good player and can create goals from anythiing, loses the ball a bit but is certainly gifted. as for crouchy, I would not want him gone, second best goalkeeper in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Would not be happy with either of those things happening, Luis is a very good player and can create goals from anythiing, loses the ball a bit but is certainly gifted. as for crouchy, I would not want him gone, second best goalkeeper in the club.

Crouch may be tall, but I wouldn't play him as a goalkeeper:D

Beer, last night, me, Never ;)

Yes second best goalscorer in the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

kdjac

It wasn't a reserve team game, it was a youth/under 18 game. They'll show highlights of that at some point. The LFC reserves games are all shown live, next Tuesday evening its Everton Reserves vs Liverpool Reserves, looking forward to that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Beer, last night, me, Never ;)

Yes second best goalscorer in the club.

Haha, knew what you meant, we all make these blunders!

As am I, watch them live or if I miss them watch them as they are replayed alot that night.

Anyway, off to the game, have fun.

BTW Kdjac, Liverpool Under-18 team: Martin Hansen, Steven Irwin, Shane O'Connor, Daniel Ayala, Joe Kennedy, Shaun Highdale, David Amoo, Astrit Ajdarevic, Marvin Pourie, Nathan Eccleston, Gary MacKay Steven (Michael Collins 45). Subs unused: Chris Oldfield (GK), Mattone Awang, Ben Parsonage, Alex Kacaniklic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Weird rumours today involving Newcastle.............they want our Luis Garcia back from Spain.
    It's a different fella, from espanyol, they want.

Ah Luis Garcia Fernandez.

My guess for today game

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Hyypia-Arbeloa
    Mascherano
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Riise
    Kuyt----Crouch

Carra is one yellow from missing a game, he needs to make sure its Reading he misses.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ah Luis Garcia Fernandez.

My guess for today game

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Hyypia-Arbeloa
    Mascherano
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Riise
    Kuyt----Crouch

Carra is one yellow from missing a game, he needs to make sure its Reading he misses.

Mike.

But only if Agger is back in time.

Who are we gonna get to cover him? Will Danny be back or will Hobbs finally get a game? I'd imagine there'll be a few yellows dished out today alright. Always seems to be a few against Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Go on Anelka

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Esse85 wrote: »
    Go on Anelka

good contribution,

anyway any word on agger they said there was a decent chance for me i'd love to see

reina
    arbeloa carra hyypia aurelio
    babel gerrard masch kewell
    crouch torres

in fairness i think bolton might be bringing the bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

d22ontour wrote: »
    But yet it's still the weakest forward combination of any of the top 4 and still the biggest Pool problem. :confused:

I wouldnt agree tbh.

Torres is as good as anyone in the league incl Drogba and Rooney

Crouch, Kuyt Babel/Voronin as good as any other teams strikers except Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I wouldnt agree tbh.

Crouch, Kuyt, and Voronin probably would get into most other premiership teams, but as a Bolton fan it's only Torres and Babel I'd be worried about.

Anyway today's game is all about the midfield.
    Nolan's suspended, Guthrie obviously can't play, and Speed and Campo aren't as fast as they used to be. I think our normal 4-3-3 (or 4-5-1 if you're not a BW fan) will be sacrificed for a 6-3-1 get-a-draw formation. After all 4 pts from ManU/Pool back to back fixtures would be massive.

Maybe Alonso's brother will get a game, in an attempt to confuse 'Pool?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I wouldnt agree tbh.

How can you possibly say that about Torres, he's only been playing in the premiership 3 months. Take off your tinted liverpool glasses and cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The Liverpool team in full is: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Benayoun, Gerrard, Lucas, Kewell, Torres, Crouch. Subs: Itandje, Mascherano, Babel, Kuyt, Hobbs.

Obni, Voronin is extremely average and would not warrant a starting place in most premiership teams starting XI

His international record for the Ukraine speaks for itself
    51 (6)

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote: »
    The Liverpool team in full is: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Benayoun, Gerrard, Lucas, Kewell, Torres, Crouch. Subs: Itandje, Mascherano, Babel, Kuyt, Hobbs.

Reina

Arbeloa--Carragher--Hyypia--Riise

Benayoun--Gerrard--Lucas--Kewell

Torres--Crouch

Like that team alot. Lots of goals. Found this on liverpool.tv -
    0:15 - 02:15
    The Match: Liverpool v Bolton (1.12.07)
    All 90 minutes of Liverpool's Premier League game against Bolton plus reaction and analysis

Dya rekon its a typo and they mean 2/12/07 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Call_me_al wrote: »

Good team, surprised Mascherano isn't playing with Lucas though, as Bolton will flood the midfield. Big test for Lucas.

Rush scores for Rest of World team against former England stars. 2-1
    Great to see the legend play again. Even if he is somewhat slower and greyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rush scores for Rest of World team against former England stars. 2-1
    Great to see the legend play again. Even if he is somewhat slower and greyer

Redknapp came on at half time as well for England. Still looks fantastic (in a fit footballer way not in a gay I want his babies way:))

He'll most likely pixk up his standard England call up knee injury though.:)

Gary Mac and Saunders coming on now.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

what's up with Aurelio these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Looking forward to seeing Lucas for a full 90. I missed his other league start.

We should win this. I don't think it will be pretty though.

Looking forward to seeing Lucas for a full 90. I missed his other league start.

We should win this. I don't think it will be pretty though.

Where are you watching it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Where are you watching it ?

Melbourne :D

Sopcast Channel - 29915

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Thats Forest or Luton in the FA Cup

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement