Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »
    He did, and he was utterly immense. Incredible performance. I'm very hopeful about Newcastle tonight, if only it were anybody but Newcastle :P

Indeed. Although a Newcastle backlash has to happen sometime, lets hope its tonight. Also, if there is a good time to play Arsenal, its now.

Tusky wrote: »
    Indeed. Although a Newcastle backlash has to happen sometime, lets hope its tonight. Also, if there is a good time to play Arsenal, its now.

I wasn't going to go out to watch this game even though my best mate kept annoying me about it(Newcastle fan). I have a funny feeling they will get a result so I'll be going out with him accompanied by 7 Arsenal fans. Come on the magpies lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Realistically I think we'll see Torres rested for the CL game. Especially considering United will be sending out kids against Roma.

Never, el nino will play both games, score in both and we will be victorious in both - i hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote:
    Realistically I think we'll see Torres rested for the CL game. Especially considering United will be sending out kids against Roma.

Id be astonished and very annoyed if he didn't start that game. Its one thing going out of the champions league having done our best, its another to have a great chance to get out of the group on the last day and resting one of our best on form players. Whats it worth to make it to the next round? 10million? 20?

Id prefer he starts all 3 to be honest, as was said go straight out against Reading, try for an early lead and then take him off at half time or an hour.

For Arsenal Newcastle, i wouldn't be too surprised by a draw, or even a Newky win, with them going on to be rubbish at the weekend again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Parry has come out and rubbished the Capello rumours this morning

From RTE.ie .......

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has written off speculation that Fabio Capello has been approached about becoming manager as 'absolutely, completely and utterly untrue'.

Reports this morning claimed the Italian, one of the favourites to be named the new England boss, had been contacted both before and after last week's Champions League win over Porto.

The move was said to have been prompted by current manager Rafael Benitez's row with club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett over transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

nah there's five days between the games, plenty of time, allowing us to play our strongest players in both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was just on the wiki Liverpool page an spotted that Rafa has the highest win % of any manager apart from Dalglish*! 56.98% v 60.61%. He's better than I thought ;)

Mike.

*W. E. Barclay and John McKenna also higher in the 19th century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

nah there's five days between the games, plenty of time, allowing us to play our strongest players in both.

Very true

Stop the resting nonsense, 2 crunch games and not even halfway through the season, no Liverpool player should feel tired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

He did, and he was utterly immense. Incredible performance. I'm very hopeful about Newcastle tonight, if only it were anybody but Newcastle :P

98% Pass Success rate. Something like 39/40 or thereabouts.

Mike65 wrote:
    I was just on the wiki Liverpool page an spotted that Rafa has the highest win % of any manager apart from Dalglish*! 56.98% v 60.61%. He's better than I thought

He's clocked up a lot of points without ever threatening to win the title. If you get me ;)

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    98% Pass Success rate. Something like 39/40 or thereabouts.

He's clocked up a lot of points without ever threatening to win the title. If you get me ;)

with two points for a win back in Shankly/Paisley's days you didn't need to win as often - just not lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Whats it worth to make it to the next round? 10million? 20?

It's worth an extra 20 million to win the thing. To get to the next round (and realistically the round after that) is worth an extra five million. This is Rafa's choice he has to make. Does he prioritise the league ahead of the Champions League? IMO he should, Torres rested mid week would make him much sharper in the game against United.
    Id prefer he starts all 3 to be honest, as was said go straight out against Reading, try for an early lead and then take him off at half time or an hour.

3 games in 7 days is a lot, especially when you consider that two of them are away. Leaving Torres out of one of those games would really help, especially for a player that bases so much of his game on pace etc, rests make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

It's worth an extra 20 million to win the thing. To get to the next round (and realistically the round after that) is worth an extra five million. This is Rafa's choice he has to make. Does he prioritise the league ahead of the Champions League? IMO he should, Torres rested mid week would make him much sharper in the game against United.

aye, i'd say most supporters would be with you on that point too - the league should be his main focus this season.

but Rafa has a serious horn for the Champions league, and he knows that to get a decent kitty in January/Summer he'll have to get to the knockout stages at the very least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Realistically if he's to be rested for one, it has to be the Reading game. Its the only one we should really be winning comfortably enough without Torres.

Marseille game is too big and we saw the quality of football they're capable of playing at Anfield, so we really need to be giving them something to worry about up front in that one.

If he HAD to be dropped for one, personally I'd go for;
    Reading; Crouch and Kuyt
    Marseille; Torres and Kuyt
    Man U; Crouch and Torres

3 games in 7 days is a lot, especially when you consider that two of them are away. Leaving Torres out of one of those games would really help, especially for a player that bases so much of his game on pace etc, rests make a big difference.

60 minutes v Reading, 60 minutes v Marseille and 90 mins v United should be no trouble in 8 days, with a 7 day rest afterwards.

I like the assumption that the Reading game and the Marseille game will be won in 60 minutes, while you might be that confident, there is no doubt that Rafa doesn't think like that.

Personally I don't see Crouch playing against United, I think Kuyt will be there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

IMO he should, Torres rested mid week would make him much sharper in the game against United.

nah, dont agree.
    I think he should be on the bench vs. reading and come on after 60/70 minutes. he should also deffo play against marseille and if he gets a goal in either match he'll be as sharp as he needs to be to do one against big rio :p

resting him would be a paranoid mistake. i dont see wayne rooney getting rested for the PL and if we wanna keep pace with Utd. and co. then we have to do the same.

resting him would be a paranoid mistake. i dont see wayne rooney getting rested for the PL and if we wanna keep pace with Utd. and co. then we have to do the same.

Rooney will be rested against Roma. If the Roma game mattered, I really think we'd see Ronaldo and Rooney not playing this weekend against Derby.

As has said before, If hes going to be rested at all, it HAS to be against Reading.

However, I think if we go all out against Reading we should be able be able to get a couple of goals in the first half or before 60 minutes. Bring him off and same again against Marseille. From what I have read, that Marseille performance was a bit of a freak incident. I just checked their results since our game and they pan out like this - W3 D4 L4. They are currently 16th in the French league, 2 places and 2 points above religation zone. Their totals for the season in the league are W4 D6 L6 and their home form in the league is W2 D3 L2.

I don't think its unreasonable for us to be pretty confident going into this game and as with Reading, I think we should be able to get a couple of early goals and bring Fernando off with the Utd game in mind. I don't think its going to be easy but Marseille were definitely punching above their weight at Anfield.

The Liverpool they played at Anfield is massively different to the team they will play next week in terms of form and mentality.

I like the assumption that the Reading game and the Marseille game will be won in 60 minutes, while you might be that confident, there is no doubt that Rafa doesn't think like that.

Personally I don't see Crouch playing against United, I think Kuyt will be there.

Definitely, crouch should play against Marseille though but against United it'll be a midfield three (Mascherano, lucas or Sissoko and Gerrard), Torres up top on his own, Kewell and Kuyt on the wings. Probably. Our best available line-up i think.

God i hope Agger is back by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Definitely, crouch should play against Marseille though but against United it'll be a midfield three (Mascherano, lucas or Sissoko and Gerrard), Torres up top on his own, Kewell and Kuyt on the wings. Probably. Our best available line-up i think.

God i hope Agger is back by then.

Is Xabi Alonso not due back by the united game?

• Advertisement

walshki wrote: »

don't think so, and even so, we don't want him hobbling off like the arsenal game so maybe its best not to risk him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Yeah but no point risking him.
    Better off resting until the bigger games ;);)

X Alonso Metatarsal Fracture 28th Dec 07
    D Agger Metatarsal Fracture 8th Dec 07

Not sure I'd want Agger back for that game either to be honest.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Result: Newcastle 1-1 Arsenal

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Result: Newcastle 1-1 Arsenal

good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

well it certainly shows that they are not unstoppable. I would like to se agger fit for the Man United game, we have not got a lot of pace back there, well certainly in the middle and Agger certainly has that to burn. Only thing I suppose is that it may mean changing a very well working partnership at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wouldn't like to see Agger making his return against Man Yoo. Hyypia's cool head might be an advantage. I'd rest Carra against Reading, because nobody wants to see him pick up the yellow, it'd be a disaster.

I don't care if Torres is rested against Marseille either. I'd like to see Crouch started, and I think he'd do the job. Liverpool should be able to beat Marseille without Torres - and even if they don't, it's not the end of our season. People have often been critical of Rafa for favouring the CL, and I think it's unfair to criticise him if he fields a somewhat weakened team with an eye on the Utd game. Fergie has said he'll be fielding a weakened team at Roma, and that could prove decisive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

New Manager Alert

http://www.liverpoolpies.tv/2007/12/fabio_cappello_news_special.html

In the past 24 hours, we've been hearing some dark rumblings about Fabio Cappello coming to Liverpool. If that was the case then I'd reckon the chances were that Rafa was a strong
    contender for the England job.

With all the rubbish that's happened inside Anfield in the past fortnight I don't know whether to believe this or dismiss it out of hand. I'd be very sad if it was true, very sad.

Rafa's said he wants to stay. Parry has said that they haven't even spoken to Cappello. Cappello doesn't know anything about it. So where exactly has this story come from? We all know with football that rumours and smoke don't come without fire so who's the one stirring things. Who is the mystery source?

We've found references to the Cappello story from at least five different places today. I'm not going to make a judgement about this until I know more about it. I'll let you read and make your own mind up.

Rooney will be rested against Roma. If the Roma game mattered, I really think we'd see Ronaldo and Rooney not playing this weekend against Derby.

wat? and only win 2-0 instead of 5-0 ? :p
    i think we have to respect reading though. and kuyt isnt exactly on ideal form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We all know with football that rumours and smoke don't come without fire

Most would say that the exact opposite is true, I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Here is my 3cents.

The story I saw linked from here stated that Cappello has said that he was contacted prior to and after the Porto game.

Now why on earth would Cappello say such a thing?
    It makes no sense.

If he was contacted, it makes no sense to say so because it shows your potential employers
    that you can't stfu about things that you should stay quiet about.

If you aren't interested in the job in question, it shows all other clubs that you can't stfu about things you should keep quiet about.

In conclusion, Cappello has most likely said nothing of the sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Plus capello doesnt speak a word of english.
    Cant see how the hell they would replace a manager mid-season with someone who
    cant even communicate with his players.

A load of hot air tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

When is our game in hand against West Ham being played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

xabi wrote: »
    When is our game in hand against West Ham being played?

Don't think it's been scheduled yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

My guess regarding Capello is that his agent or somebody close to him leaked this story or put it in the press. Not because it was true, but maybe to force the FA in to contacting him reagrding the England job. That way he could find out if he was in the running for it. Just a complete guess on my part though.

If you go back a page (or two) you'll see a post about Capello yesterday and its hogwash.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

IrishMike wrote: »
    Plus capello doesnt speak a word of english.
    Cant see how the hell they would replace a manager mid-season with someone who
    cant even communicate with his players.

A load of hot air tbh

spurs did that with ramos though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

event wrote: »

Yeah, but thats Spurs for ya :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ramos speaks english though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody who bought tickets for the IrishKop Xmas night out the tickets are in the post.

Thanks for your support.

they also have 4 strikers, no centre backs, no left wingers and a comedy duo in the centre mid. (and we still couldnt beat them :( )

hoof. flick on. keane scores.
    rinse lather repeat

as for capello, its just a bit of nonsense that no1 should really take notice of. (if he was to join liverpool tho we could slag utd fans about having "the best manager in the world" :p )

on another note...
    I know it may be early, but what would the preferred starting XI against man yoo be? providing we stay injury free of course.

MIne:

Reina

-Finnan---Carragher--Hyypia/Agger---Arbeloa

-Yossi
    Gerrard----Mascherano---Kewell--

Torres
    Kuyt

Agger if he is fit would be 1st choice as he is pacier then hyypia so when ronaldo drifts in we will be able to catch him. Arbeloa is also better defensively then riise so with masch on the pitch as well we would be able to handle tevez / rooney / ronaldo.
    Yossi has some pace and trickery and can put in a better ball then babel so he should start imo. Kewell seems really up for it these days and his passing is far better then any other left sided player we have and that could be crucial in the top 1/3 of the pitch.
    Kuyt gets the nod ahead of crouch as I think Utd are too experienced to let peter move about the box and get flick ons and headers. and lets hope torres creams rio :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

he'll probably be rested for some reason only known to Rafa Benitez...!

Jazzy wrote: »
    on another note...
    I know it may be early, but what would the preferred starting XI against man yoo be? providing we stay injury free of course.

MIne:

Reina

-Yossi

Torres
    Kuyt

Lucas instead of Yossi and i'd agree with the rest. It's important we retain possession and boss the midfield, while giving Gerrard that freedom to do what he does best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I do hope Harry doesn't trip over himself and plays.

I think he's one of the most technically gifted players we have atm and like Jazzy said he does seem really up for it. Babel as an impact sub late works it seems so start Harry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Jazzy wrote: »
    on another note...

MIne:

Reina

-Yossi

Torres
    Kuyt

Agger if he is fit would be 1st choice as he is pacier then hyypia so when ronaldo drifts in we will be able to catch him. Arbeloa is also better defensively then riise so with masch on the pitch as well we would be able to handle tevez / rooney / ronaldo.
    Yossi has some pace and trickery and can put in a better ball then babel so he should start imo. Kewell seems really up for it these days and his passing is far better then any other left sided player we have and that could be crucial in the top 1/3 of the pitch.
    Kuyt gets the nod ahead of crouch as I think Utd are too experienced to let peter move about the box and get flick ons and headers. and lets hope torres creams rio :p

Yet Yossi out of there.

Id also start crouch with torres instead of kuyt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Ramos speaks english though.

dont think so, thats why they took poyet from us, as he speaks english

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

dont think so, thats why they took poyet from us, as he speaks english

which isn't saying much ;)

What about lil' old Reading? ;)

Rest Torres and Gerrard? or win the game in the first half then bring on Lucas and Kuyt/Voronin/Crouch (depending) to see the game out?

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement