Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

mike65 wrote: »
    What about lil' old Reading? ;)

Rest Torres and Gerrard? or win the game in the first half then bring on Lucas and Kuyt/Voronin/Crouch (depending) to see the game out?

Mike.

I don't think Benitez is into taking risks like that. You're playing away from home against a decent enough Reading side that have frustrated a lot of teams at the Madejski. I'd be surprised to see either of them start the game but they'll more than likely be on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Crouch and kuyt should surely be able to beat Reading.
    A win against Reading is worth the same amount of points as a win against United by the way, should not be willing to throw away games for some bragging rights.
    A win against Reading and a loss to united is still better than 2 draws !

---> Thanks mayordenis ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i can't see us beating wigan til the 2nd of january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Reina

-Finnan---Carragher--Agger---Arbeloa

-Babel
    Gerrard----Mascherano---Kewell--

Torres
    Crouch

whats the story with fabio aurelio,cant recall seeing much of him recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dc69 wrote: »

Reina

-Finnan---Carragher--Agger---Arbeloa

-Babel
    Gerrard----Mascherano---Kewell--

Torres
    Crouch

whats the story with fabio aurelio,cant recall seeing much of him recently?

Hes injured again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tusky wrote:
    Hes injured again.

Looks like he'll be back though
    "Carra is okay and I think he will be fit for the weekend," added Benitez.

"Alonso is very close, Agger is much better and they could be fit for the next game.

"Fabio is training and Xabi was involved in the warm-up and he is very close."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_2949527,00.html

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

IrishMike wrote: »
    A win against Reading and a loss to united is still better than 2 draws !

No it's not. You get more points obviously for a win and a loss, but the gap between us and Utd will be bigger, as well as the pschological aspects of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

5starpool the league is won over 38 games not one! 1 win/1 loss beats 2 draw everytime.

Mike.

what are you guys thought on lucas so far,the main competitors for his age would be anderson and fabregas.fabregas is having a stormer and anderson looks promising.Lucas won the golden boot and i was so excited to see him play thinking we have the next kaka(i know hes not really an attacking midfielder).He seems a solid player wih a calm head,but I wish for one game they would let him go foward so we could see if he can score.I mean he is basically a mini version of gerrard,it seems stevies place in the team means lucas wont really get a chance to play the position he is meant to until stevie retires,:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mike65 wrote:
    5starpool the league is won over 38 games not one! 1 win/1 loss beats 2 draw everytime.

Mike.

Our final points total doesn't really matter, only our points total relative to the competitors, so it can go both ways (like a bi-sexual) [..sorry]

If we beat Reading and lose to united, but united win the league by a point it could be a very important result. We would be 1 point down on our total, but Utd would be down 2 putting us level and gives us a chance.

Having said that, this scenario doesn't take Chelsea and Arsenal into account, so all in all its probably better to get the extra point now and keep closer to Arse rather then keep Man U back with us and allow Arse to pull further ahead.

• Advertisement

Ah hell just win every game, its much easier that way.

As for Lucas, I haven't seen as much of him as I'd like but everything suggests he's the real deal. He's only problem is Masch/Alonso/Gerrard/er Sissoko.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Ah hell just win every game, its much easier that way

My sentiments exactly :D

I'm only disappointed with two results this season so far and they are the home draws against Spurs and Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

dc69 wrote: »
    what are you guys thought on lucas so far

I think he looks excellent particularly on evidence of the last two weeks. Good all rounder, tackling, passing etc. Like you say I'd like to see him allowed to go forward more - I remember reading the reports from Brazil when he was lined up at first and thinking 'Wow this guy is even better than Cheyrou (in theory)'.

However, I'd like to ask peoples opinion about the Masch situation. I thought he was outstanding after he joined us but I've been less impressed this year so far - good battler but doesn't get on the ball enough. We seem to be on the verge of a £17m signing without too much thought about whether he's really worth that much. That's a lot of money.

Maybe this has already been discussed but I think its worth a debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

walshki wrote: »
    I think he looks excellent particularly on evidence of the last two weeks. Good all rounder, tackling, passing etc. Like you say I'd like to see him allowed to go forward more - I remember reading the reports from Brazil when he was lined up at first and thinking 'Wow this guy is even better than Cheyrou (in theory)'.

However, I'd like to ask peoples opinion about the Masch situation. I thought he was outstanding after he joined us but I've been less impressed this year so far - good battler but doesn't get on the ball enough. We seem to be on the verge of a £17m signing without too much thought about whether he's really worth that much. That's a lot of money.

He's a wonderful player, the best defensive midfielder in the premiership I think. He was out of form while the team was out of form, but he has come good again recently. But if you ever have doubts about him remember Chelsea and Milan in the CL last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can't see how people would think Lucas is like Gerrard. He is a much more technical player, and is probably a better passer. Lucas looks a top talent, good solid Brazilian midfielder, not in the attacking mould like Kaka, just a midfielder in the normal sense of the word. Lots very impressive.

PHB wrote: »
    I can't see how people would think Lucas is like Gerrard. He is a much more technical player, and is probably a better passer. Lucas looks a top talent, good solid Brazilian midfielder, not in the attacking mould like Kaka, just a midfielder in the normal sense of the word. Lots very impressive.

I can see him and Anderson being Brazil's central midfield in the next world cup and then for the next decade.

Actually he is a bit like Gerrard. So far for us he has been asked to play more of a holding role but in Brazil he got forward a lot more and scored goals. He can run with the ball, has a good shot and likes to burst forward from deep positions. I think we will see these qualities more as he grows in confidence. I read an interview with him recently saying that once he plays a little more in the team, we are going to see him going forward a lot more. For the moment im happy to see him play the holding role as he is more than capable.

For Brazil under 20s he has 4 goals from 9 apperances. With Gremio he has around 5 goals from 30 odd starts.
    walshki wrote: »

Have you been watching Liverpool this season ? Ive seen every game and I assure you, the guy is quality and is only 23. He MUST be signed. 17m is not bad for someone who is already a major player in the Argentinian squad and one of the best in the world in his position. Add to that the fact that he is already settled here and its a sweet deal...Reina, Carragher, Agger, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres...the spine of our team in my opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Happy days.. looks like Torres is now part of the "spine" of non-rotatables..

Benitez has indicated he intends to start him at both Reading and Marseille.. it would be inconceivable that he doesn't start the United game also I would have thought. Benitez said he is now ready to play 2 matches a week no problem..

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157961071207-1202.htm

:o, does this signify a change in policy from Rafa?

• Advertisement

In fairness Rafa doesn't really rotate the spine of the team often. When was the last time Carragher, Alonso etc have been left out when fit ? I can think of maybe 2 examples for each over the past few seasons. He has rested Torres once this season and brought him on around the 60 minute mark in that game.

No, he's just joining the Reina, Carragher and Gerrard club, presided over by Alvaro Arbeloa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

hahaha, i should be making you clean my keyboard for that you cúnt, haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Tusky wrote: »
    He has rested Torres once this season and brought him on around the 60 minute mark in that game.

Torres was rested against both Birmingham and Portsmouth in the league, which both ended 0-0 bore draws. He then started and scored a hat-trick against Reading in the Carling Cup the next Tuesday.

tibor wrote: »
    Torres was rested against both Birmingham and Portsmouth in the league, which both ended 0-0 bore draws. He then started and scored a hat-trick against Reading in the Carling Cup the next Tuesday.

Ah yes, forgot about Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Torres is my captain this week in FF

It's about time I felt some happiness when he scores :(

• Advertisement

Well that made my footie bet somewhat more straighforwards.

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Hyypia-Arbeloa
    Yossi---Masch-Gerrard-Kewell
    Torres-Crouch

Subs Itandje, Agger, Riise, Babel, Kuyt

If no Carra then Hobbs/Agger I presume. Could be tricky.

Mike.

Well that made my footie bet somewhat more straighforwards.

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Hyypia-Arbeloa
    Yossi---Masch-Gerrard-Kewell
    Torres-Crouch

Subs Itandje, Agger, Riise, Babel, Kuyt

If no Carra then Hobbs/Agger I presume. Could be tricky.

Mike.

I have a horrible feeling that Sissoko will start one of the next three games. Its not going to be at home to utd and it cant be Marseille as its basically going to be attack attack attack. So it could be Reading :(

Personally the team I'd least like to see against United is

Reina
    --Finnan--Carragher-Agger--Arbeloa-
    Mascherano--Sissoko

Gerrard
    -Yossi
    Kewell-
    Torres

The thing is, one good DM could stop the link up play between Tevez and Rooney. But that would leave Ronaldo free, so another DM is needed. If Sissoko stops Rooney and Tevez, then Mascherano can deal with Ronaldo, United will have a very very very tough time of scoring. Then with Gerrard\Torres up front, a bit of magic from them could win the game.

Personally the team I'd least like to see against United is

Reina
    --Finnan--Carragher-Agger--Arbeloa-
    Mascherano--Sissoko

Gerrard
    -Yossi
    Kewell-
    Torres

The thing is, one good DM could stop the link up play between Tevez and Rooney. But that would leave Ronaldo free, so another DM is needed. If Sissoko stops Rooney and Tevez, then Mascherano can deal with Ronaldo, United will have a very very very tough time of scoring. Then with Gerrard\Torres up front, a bit of magic from them could win the game.

Dont think we will be playing with 2 defensive midfielder's unless one of them is Alonso. Not at home to utd anyway, maybe away. Having drawn with Chelsea & Arsenal at home, Benitez will want a win this time round. Although I do feel that Sissoko will start one of the next three games...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

we are looking to win the game PHB, not just watch Utd try break down a 4-5-1 ;)

sissoko is a joke and will ruin every potential attack due to sheer idiocy.
    2 strikers please rafa, one of them torres, the other not voronin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Whats the crack with Finnan? Reckon he'll play tomorrow?. His lack of starts recently has been playing havoc with my Fantasy Footie team.:mad:

Jazzy wrote: »

Thanks for that Jazzy, brought a smile to my face :D

Pighead wrote: »
    Whats the crack with Finnan? Reckon he'll play tomorrow?. His lack of starts recently has been playing havoc with my Fantasy Footie team.:mad:

Yep. Id say the backline will be

Finnan--Hyypia--Carragher--Arbeloa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Ours ? Utds ? or both ? :D

sissoko is a joke and will ruin every potential attack due to sheer idiocy
    zing wrote: »
    Ours ? Utds ? or both ? :D

:D.....you have a point there zing. I still think he's as good as he was last season breaking up the opposition's atacks. It's really his only positive contribution he gives our midfield, imo I still think he's worth having in there for some games, maybe not for United at home where it should be attack, but possibly away?

DeadSkin wrote: »
    :D.....you have a point there zing. I still think he's as good as he was last season breaking up the opposition's atacks. It's really his only positive contribution he gives our midfield, imo I still think he's worth having in there for some games, maybe not for United at home where it should be attack, but possibly away?

He can do his trick of hoofing the ball straight up into the air. Might waste a bit of time for you! ;)

An Citeog wrote: »
    He can do his trick of hoofing the ball straight up into the air. Might waste a bit of time for you! ;)

Sissoko can tackle, I know his football skills are basically non-existant at times, but imo I think having a player in the middle of the pitch who can break up play in certain games is worth it.

Gerrard does a fair amount of hoofin' the ball up the pitch lookin' for that killer pass, which pays off every now and again. I'm in no way comparing these two players, but Gerrard can waste a lot of play with his hoofin' ;)

Then with Gerrard\Torres up front, a bit of magic from them could win the game.

jaysus boi!

with that sorta talk you'd almost think utd were playing newcastle or something?!
    ur only 3 points ahead and we have a game in hand.
    i mean, ya did lose to city earlier in the season and imo have been on a comparatively low run of form for 2/3 games.
    not that it matters with ronaldo & co. f*ckin ***** always score and ruin my hopes of overtaking ya! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

w

That would suit United more i would think.Of course the Pool want to win the match but it isn't Newcastle you are playing.I would expect a defensive 'try sneak one Pool game' as per usual against United.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

You obviously did not see the game last season then.

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »
    That would suit United more i would think.Of course the Pool want to win the match but it isn't Newcastle you are playing.I would expect a defensive 'try sneak one Pool game' as per usual against United.

;)

yes cos liverpool are completely incapable of attacking.
    as are utd.
    no way this could actually be an open match with either winner being 50/50

its one match i definately wouldnt put money on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

You obviously did not see the game last season then.

The lets try impose ourselves on them game ? The maybe 1 or 2 shots/chances on target that were not hoofers from 30 yards ? The let's not be counter-attacked game which derived from playing a negative game ? Yet, still it failed alas like the last few years attempts have it seems.Strangely enough none of them home defeats came from playing an open game which is last time i checked an attacking game.The Pool are good enough to beat United, like all top teams are, but unlike Arsenal, not by attacking them.The negative game suits the Pool why change it ? Recent history shows gaining a 1:0 win by playing sleeptastic football works sometimes , then why change ???

Thought so :rolleyes: You could of course just said no and saved yourself alot of typing.

21 goals in 5 games, conceding only 1 goal, snorefest :rolleyes:

Thought so :rolleyes: You could of course just said no and saved yourself alot of typing.

21 goals in 5 games, conceding only 1 goal, snorefest :rolleyes:

Liverpool are playing well at the moment and scoring a lot of goals while they're at it. I don't think it'll have much of a baring on next weekend though. I expect it to be fairly tight and scrappy, without much free-flowing attacking football. Could easily be another 1-0.

What are the odds on John O'Shea as first scorer? :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

An Citeog wrote: »
    Liverpool are playing well at the moment and scoring a lot of goals while they're at it. I don't think it'll have much of a baring on next weekend though. I expect it to be fairly tight and scrappy, without much free-flowing attacking football. Could easily be another 1-0.

You could be describing any game between the big 4,these are usually very tight unless theres an early goal.

Just found out I lost my ticket to the game next week, oh well. worse things happen at sea. I may well go up anyway and see if I can get one up there anyway (hate buying off touts), still have a couple of calls to make, may yet get a corporate, but unlikely at this juncture ;)

As for our chances, i think that if Torres plays then we will certainly have a better chance than if we don't. He may well be the key to unlocking their defence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just found out I lost my ticket to the game next week, oh well. worse things happen at sea. I may well go up anyway and see if I can get one up there anyway (hate buying off touts), still have a couple of calls to make, may yet get a corporate, but unlikely at this juncture ;)

There was a few spares floating around Irishkop.com today,so you never know your luck.

Really, well that would certainly be handy, will pop on in and have a peek. think we have plenty enough to beat them. Even without a ticket I will be up there.

I saw him play for gremio ,he is a box to box midfielder,he is a mirror image of gerrard,you just dont see him play that way for liverpool.hence why people are calling him gerrardinho lol

• Advertisement

All is well again in Liverpool it seems
    Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has revealed he's held talks with Foster Gillett about his differences with the club's American owners.

"Me and Foster have talked. We have spoken about everything, about how we know that we have a different idea than we had before, how the team is now playing well, all of those things," said Benitez. "We know there was a misunderstanding but now we need to wait until December 16 and talk with Tom Hicks and George Gillett."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement