Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sonko got a little touch both times, the only good things he managed to do in the game. Neither of his tackles were penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mike65 wrote: »
    I can only hope for failure of Tuesday, it might be the difference between still having a chance at the title and not. If every CL game means fielding weakened teams in odd formations then better off out of it.

The CL means nothing until the PL is won again.

Mike.

WoW. Did someone spike the water cooler here yesterday?
    I understand the league means more to you, but to hope for failure and state that the European Cup means nothing until the league is won again?

Crazy talk. I find it a bit disgusting too, hoping for failure for the team, under any circumstances

Tusky wrote: »
    Doom & Gloom brigade are back it seems. Result today was disappointing but lets not over react. The season is not over, its our first league defeat.

Lets not sell half our team just yet :rolleyes:

Indeed. Incredibly reactionary around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The-Rigger wrote: »
    WoW. Did someone spike the water cooler here yesterday?
    I understand the league means more to you, but to hope for failure and state that the European Cup means nothing until the league is won again?

Crazy talk. I find it a bit disgusting too, hoping for failure for the team, under any circumstances.

Well the choice is a good cl run over a shot at the league, because being in the cl means more games like yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Liverpool have a CL quarter-final second leg tie 3 days after playing Arsenal on 5th April which game do you think Rafa will give his greater attention to?.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Rafa changed players and he changed the formation which caused us to lose the game....

I reckon sissoko, kuyt, voronin, riise and Crou have to go, they are brutal.. wouldnt get into UTD's, Arsenal's or Chelsea's team...

I think we need another top class striker and 2 top class wingers to be even thinking of winning the premiership....

• Advertisement

We have top class wingers, none of them started! That game was Liverpools to loose.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

mike65 wrote: »
    We have top class wingers, none of them started! That game was Liverpools to loose.

Mike.

Who? Kewell has been injured for the last couple of years but has proved to be good when he gets a run of games. What other top class winger do Liverpool have?

Okay you may not rate Yossi or Babel on the right but had either started on the right and Kewell on the left with Gerrard and Masch in the middle with Torres/Crouch up front all the ref mistakes in the world would'nt have stopped Liverpool getting a result.

When he announced the line-up to the sqaud I bet some hearts sank, that would'nt have helped in itself, add the nonsense formation, the "two eyes on Marseille" subs. Would anyone be suprised that Liverpool crashed and burned? Pity was Man Utd is next Sunday he might have taken that game seriously if it had been yesterday and let the Marseille game look after itself.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Carragher has actually been pretty poor this season compared with his usual great form. Too much 'last ditch' defending. Hes given away three or four penalties thus far and is on 4 yellow cards. I didnt think he needed to take that guy out (regardless of it being inside or outside the box) for the penalty yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Didn't see the game, just saw highlights, looked like pool were a tad unlucky.

It's the first defeat of the season, calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Tusky wrote: »
    Carragher has actually been pretty poor this season compared with his usual great form. Too much 'last ditch' defending. Hes given away three or four penalties thus far and is on 4 yellow cards. I didnt think he needed to take that guy out (regardless of it being inside or outside the box) for the penalty yesterday.

In fairness the reason for most of that last ditch defending is trying to cover for Hyppias lack of pace.
    Wouldnt have happened if agger was fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mada999 wrote: »
    Rafa changed players and he changed the formation which caused us to lose the game....

I reckon sissoko, kuyt, voronin, riise and Crou have to go, they are brutal.. wouldnt get into UTD's, Arsenal's or Chelsea's team...

I think we need another top class striker and 2 top class wingers to be even thinking of winning the premiership....

I can't understand Crouch being on that list.

In recent memory, we just don't look effective until we stretch the opposition. When we play all through the middle with no wide men we go nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

lordgoat wrote: »
    sonko got a little touch both times, the only good things he managed to do in the game. Neither of his tackles were penalties.

I noticed the commentators say this alright and subsequently watched each replay multiple time but was unable to see any deviation in the balls path that would indicate the smallest of touches. I was even watching the replays in HD.

I noticed the commentators say this alright and subsequently watched each replay multiple time but was unable to see any deviation in the balls path that would indicate the smallest of touches. I was even watching the replays in HD.

There were touches. Faint, small but there nonetheless. I was watching the game with 2 liverpool fans and they agreed with the decisions. There was a push in the first half that prob was a pen, but it's rare they are given.

I'd be more pissed off at the lack of tracking by gerrard than carraghers last ditch tackle. Watching the replays he's standing watching the runner go past him. Plus i don't know what he was complaining about after he was booked either. These are the games that gerrard cost liverpool most.

And yes he scored and hit the cross bar, but tracking back and keeping a cool head are much more easy to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think this is his fault to be honest. It's due to two things. First off, Liverpool are much more offensive in their style this year, they play a wider more streched game. As such, Carragher is gona be exposed more, it's just natural. Second, he's playing next to Hyypia who is very slow. That means he has to deal with certain types of balls, balls Agger normally would have dealt with. As such, he's doing stuff he's not really suited to doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

at least arsenal are losing. hopefully middlesbrough will hold on. Yesterday wasn't a good performance but it's far from a disaster. On another day we could have won the game, we had enough chances.

at least arsenal are losing. hopefully middlesbrough will hold on. Yesterday wasn't a good performance but it's far from a disaster. On another day we could have won the game, we had enough chances.

"another day" doesnt matter worth a ****. Yesterday wasnt another day it was yesterday and we lost. If/when we dont win the league will you be happy looking back on the season and saying "jesus, another day we'd have got 3 points there, there, there and there, then won the league" ? It's up top the players and manager to do their bit to make sure we dotn have to look at "another day" scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

the arse are losing 2 - nil now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

PHB wrote: »
    I don't think this is his fault to be honest. It's due to two things. First off, Liverpool are much more offensive in their style this year, they play a wider more streched game. As such, Carragher is gona be exposed more, it's just natural. Second, he's playing next to Hyypia who is very slow. That means he has to deal with certain types of balls, balls Agger normally would have dealt with. As such, he's doing stuff he's not really suited to doing.

I think he has always been more of a last ditch defender that's sometimes a bit rash with his tackleing. It's alot more noticeable with agger gone and he's having to make more of these challanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

aresenal to lose would help make this weekend a bit more paletable - but still losing our unbeaten record to Reading (who have been on a poor run) is just annoying.

really need a big week from the boys now! can't wait for Tuesday now.

Marseille Team:

Reina
    Arbeloa-Carra-Hyypia-Riise
    Masch---Gerrard
    Benayoun
    Babel
    Torres--Kuyt

I would really expect to see Insua on the bench and used if we take the lead, just to start giving him some more experience and see if he can permanently take the step up to replace a very off form riise

United Team

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Arbeloa
    Masch---Lucas
    Benayoun---Gerrard---Kewell
    Torres

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    the arse are losing 2 - nil now :D

Best to look after your own games first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Liverpool lost and the chap is happy that their rivals havent gained anymore ground on them, whats the problem with that?

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Arbeloa
    Masch---Lucas
    Benayoun---Gerrard---Kewell
    Torres

I think that's a very offensive formation to go for against United. Would be quite surprised by it. I'd expect something like this

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Arbeloa-
    Masch---Sissoko
    Kuyt
    Gerrard----Kewell-
    Torres

Rafa will try to keep the game very very tight, and rely on some magic up front from Gerrard and Torres. It's how he normally plays these games.

yeh to be honest i wasnt sure about benny, think he could be too lightweight for the united game dunno about Kuyt there esp if he plays on tuesday would have been pennant if he wasnt injured.

we are at home though and if we actually have aspirations of winning the league we have to come at united from the start so i wouldnt be surprised with an attacking line up.

but if momo plays i'll lose my mind. cant take another 90mins watching him pass to no one...

Archimedes wrote: »
    Liverpool lost and the chap is happy that their rivals havent gained anymore ground on them, whats the problem with that?

My point is, arsenal losing should not be used to lessen the result. That's all. If they'd won it wouldn't be any worse. If you look after your own results it doesn't matter what other teams do.

Indeed, I'm sure Rafa would rather play Alonso, but if the choice is between Lucas and Momo as it seems to be, Lucas is quite the risk.

My point is, arsenal losing should not be used to lessen the result. That's all. If they'd won it wouldn't be any worse. If you look after your own results it doesn't matter what other teams do.

we hardly have any effect on the result. it's not as if Rafa came out and said well Arsenal lost so it's all ok, stop talking BS...
    Indeed, I'm sure Rafa would rather play Alonso, but if the choice is between Lucas and Momo as it seems to be, Lucas is quite the risk.

well i think if sissoko does start it says a lot about our set up. i dont think it is a risk really but it is a step up for him. would prefer alonso to be back though!

Call_me_al wrote: »
    we hardly have any effect on the result. it's not as if Rafa came out and said well Arsenal lost so it's all ok, stop talking BS...

Go back and have a read at what was said. If there's any big words ask someone.

My point is the arsenal match shouldn't matter, and some posters have said that the Arsenal resulst makes the liverpool one a bit better to handle.

I don't mean a risk in the sense of his talent, just in how Liverpool would set out the game. Rafa likes to make these games extremely tight, and he normally doesn't like to play open games against the top teams. Sissoko would be much better at breaking up United's play than Lucas. Playing Lucas would make Liverpool imo a much better footballing team, but make them more open to getting beaten, which I don't think Rafa would like.

• Advertisement

Go back and have a read at what was said. If there's any big words ask someone.

My point is the arsenal match shouldn't matter, and some posters have said that the Arsenal resulst makes the liverpool one a bit better to handle.

i didnt ask you to explain your point again, i understand it and think it is still rubbish.

now i shall explain my point to you and i'll try and be a little more patronising. of course it makes our loss a little better, it means the top of the league is still the same distance away. of course a win would have been better but we did lose there is nothing we can do about that now but arsenal losing means it isnt going to be as difficult to catch them.

we cant effect the result, what difference does it make what we talk about it doesnt effect the team performances.

oh and just in case:
    Patronising: characteristic of those who treat others with condescension
    PHB wrote:
    I don't mean a risk in the sense of his talent, just in how Liverpool would set out the game. Rafa likes to make these games extremely tight, and he normally doesn't like to play open games against the top teams. Sissoko would be much better at breaking up United's play than Lucas. Playing Lucas would make Liverpool imo a much better footballing team, but make them more open to getting beaten, which I don't think Rafa would like.

i suppose i would agree with that then...

Whereas theres no risk with Sissoko. You know he'll be ****. At least he's consistant.

Sissoko would be much better at breaking up United's players than Lucas. .

Fixed that for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Not sure if this has been posted already,I think this is very sad.

Link

Dub13 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted already,I think this is very sad.

Link

lol very good, like the free season ticket when you buy a phone. not a small club, sure!

^Why the Liverpool forum though?

It is very petty though, is it an official DVD or just some blokes recording?

Jesus they dont waste time do they?

Did they ever bring out the Arsenal game from the last couple of games in 2005 ?:)

Surely Liverpool 6-0 Derby is only around the corner, what with Christmas almost upon us.:D I'd hang my head in shame.

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    ^Why the Liverpool forum though?

Is there a better place to slag your closest rivals? We could put it in the Everton thread, but no one reads that.

Call_me_al wrote: »

now i shall explain my point to you and i'll try and be a little more patronising. of course it makes our loss a little better, it means the top of the league is still the same distance away. of course a win would have been better but we did lose there is nothing we can do about that now but arsenal losing means it isnt going to be as difficult to catch them.

we cant effect the result, what difference does it make what we talk about it doesnt effect the team performances.

Sure maybe if the teams all above ye simply lost the remainder of their games wouldn't that be a much more simple way to comtemplate things? Probably more realisitic as well...

Stekelly wrote: »
    Is there a better place to slag your closest rivals? We could put it in the Everton thread, but no one reads that.

Zing :D

Sure maybe if the teams all above ye simply lost the remainder of their games wouldn't that be a much more simple way to comtemplate things? Probably more realisitic as well...

sigh...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

:D:D

We could put it in the Everton thread but one of the 3 people who read it could report the post and we would be risking a ban.

• Advertisement

Well thank fupp Boro can stop Arsenal! ;) While its not consolation as such it tightens up the top end again. City lost, and as I type Blackburn loosing so it could have been worse.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

jaysus, get over yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Has anybody questioned Riise's desire to get back for the 3rd goal last night :confused: The more I see it the more suspect it looks, if he kept going surely he had a chance to slide in and prevent the shot? It wasnt as if the Reading lad thumped it, he rolled it in :eek:

Sizzler wrote: »
    Has anybody questioned Riise's desire to get back for the 3rd goal last night :confused: The more I see it the more suspect it looks, if he kept going surely he had a chance to slide in and prevent the shot? It wasnt as if the Reading lad thumped it, he rolled it in :eek:

I talked about it further up. It wasnt his man to chase in the first place, someone else lets him go and Riise passed by one or two liverpool players when he starts running. Cant really fault him as he was the only one bothered enough to run in the first place. He just wasnt quick enough. Those ones often look like you could jst slide in a block it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I talked about it further up. It wasnt his man to chase in the first place, someone else lets him go and Riise passed by one or two liverpool players when he starts running. Cant really fault him as he was the only one bothered enough to run in the first place. He just wasnt quick enough. Those ones often look like you could jst slide in a block it.

I don't think anyone expected Harper to take it around Reina, I know I didn't. It was a great finish in the end, really composed. The Liverpool defence just left a big wide gap and Reading punished them for it. I'm pretty sure it was Doyle who dragged the centre half (Carragher?) out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There were touches. Faint, small but there nonetheless. I was watching the game with 2 liverpool fans and they agreed with the decisions. There was a push in the first half that prob was a pen, but it's rare they are given..

Have since watched the incidents again and I am not seeing anything that could be described as contact to be honest.

Am not saying that there wasn't contact but I am curious as how the referee or assistant ref seen it if I can't see it after watching them about 10 times and you are saying it was the faintest of touches.

But sure meh, tis done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sizzler wrote: »

I wouldn't question his desire, but is it just me or did Riise used to have decent pace? He looked so leaden footed.

I wouldn't question his desire, but is it just me or did Riise used to have decent pace? He looked so leaden footed.

I reckon Harper is just quick tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If we beat Utd next weekend and Arse don't beat Chelsea, it will be ridiculously close at the top. Here's hoping it will happen, although it is a biggish if. African Nations cup then will change things around again for Arse and Chelsea.

I hate to say it but it is really looking like Utd are definitely favs for the title now, even though they may well have been anyhow, all things considered. As this weekend showed though, a lot of things can change very quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

YEAH! Liverpool are sh1te! we should all deffo moan about the reading game for the next week and not try and think of one positive thing that happend over the weekend.
    stupid liverpool. they're so stupid

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement