Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Dub13 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted already,I think this is very sad.

Link

Any one have the guts to give this to roy keane for christmas?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

hate to say it but it is really looking like Utd are definitely favs for the title now, even though they may well have been anyhow, all things considered. As this weekend showed though, a lot of things can change very quickly.

and also worrying how well their playing...apart from bolton theyve been excellent the last few weeks as much as it pains me to say it.
    Fergusen is gonna rest the first team for roma so their all gonna be fit for the match next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The United game is a must win now. At the very least a must not lose. How exciting will the top be if us and Chelsea both win? Tomorrow night will be very tough, a good start and the first goal are crucial.

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Hyypia
    Arbeloa

Mascherano
    Lucas

Gerrard

Kuyt
    Kewell

Torres

And then the same team against United. Plenty of rest time in between. Maybe Babel for Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The United game is a must win now. At the very least a must not lose. How exciting will the top be if us and Chelsea both win? Tomorrow night will be very tough, a good start and the first goal are crucial.

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Hyypia
    Arbeloa

Mascherano
    Lucas

Gerrard

KuytBabel
    Kewell

Torres

And then the same team against United. Plenty of rest time in between. Maybe Babel for Kuyt.

Dear god not Kuyt if we want to win. Other than that, it looks good. Pity Yossi, Alonso and Agger arent fresh. Before Saturday I wouldve gone for a 442 with Crouch but not now. Impact sub is all he'll ever be for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dear god not Kuyt if we want to win. Other than that, it looks good. Pity Yossi, Alonso and Agger arent fresh. Before Saturday I wouldve gone for a 442 with Crouch but not now. Impact sub is all he'll ever be for us.

I think Kuyt plays that role well, like against newcastle. Babel hasn't yet really done it for 90 minutes in a tough game, so I think he's better from the bench.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Any one have the guts to give this to roy keane for christmas?!

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Jurgen Klinsmann is in the frame to become the new Liverpool manager - if Rafael Benitez gets the sack. (The Sun)

From the BBC Gossip page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

And then the same team against United. Plenty of rest time in between.

well said..that for me is the key...if we play well and win in the CL he has to play the same team against manu....
    taking off tores and gerrard on sat was criminal.the only 2 who looked like threatening.

(The Sun)

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jurgen Klinsmann is in the frame to become the new Liverpool manager - if Rafael Benitez gets the sack. (The Sun)

Wow, that would be a really really awful decision. Hire a man who's never experienced club management to take over from a man who's job entails controlling every single aspect of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Note the rag it's from - pay no more attention to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Dont believe that for a second

We lost at the weekend and the scum, i mean the sun makes up rubbish about rafa close to being sacked again and klinsmann taking over.

As liverpool fans why do ye read the sun, even if its in the bbc gossip column its still the sun aka the liars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

zing wrote: »
    Note the rag it's from - pay no more attention to it

What i was thinking too.

AdrianII wrote: »
    As liverpool fans why do ye read the sun, even if its in the bbc gossip column its still the sun aka the liars

Not all of us do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Dub13 wrote: »
    Not all of us do.

I know mate, but you would be suprised at how many do :confused:

• Advertisement

AdrianII wrote: »
    I know mate, but you would be suprised at how many do :confused:

I no...I have seen lads on the boat/plane heading to games with the rag.

From: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/season/2007-2008/dec//621/finalwhistle.htm
    READING 3 - 1 REDS: THE REPORT

Liverpool have crashed to their first Premier League defeat of the season after second half goals from Kevin Doyle and James Harper gave Reading a 3-1 win at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday.

The Reds suffered an usual off day as their run of five straight wins was brought to a resounding end by a plucky Reading. The home side getting a massive helping hand from the referee when he wrongly awarded a penalty against Carragher that Hunt converted, but they stunned Liverpool with second half goals from Doyle and Harper to cancel out a Steven Gerrard equalizer.

Not really a good sign when even the official site is making mistakes like that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well it's not that unusual.
    Liverpools form so far this season,
    W-D-W-W-D-D-W-D-W-D-D-W-W-W-L

3 runs is the longest run of wins there has been so far this year. 2 is their next best.
    The 3 were against Fulham, Bolton and Newcastle. The 2 were against Derby and Sunderland.
    Liverpool still havne't started to put that win of runs together which is so vital for the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And thats largely down to Rafas tinkering.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

PHB wrote: »
    Well it's not that unusual.
    Liverpools form so far this season,
    W-D-W-W-D-D-W-D-W-D-D-W-W-W-L

3 runs is the longest run of wins there has been so far this year. 2 is their next best.
    The 3 were against Fulham, Bolton and Newcastle. The 2 were against Derby and Sunderland.
    Liverpool still havne't started to put that win of runs together which is so vital for the premiership.
    Next Sunday will be the perfect time to kick off that run of wins :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Torres and Kuyt play really well together and have looked the best partnership. Kuyt's workrate makes good chances for Torres. He was involved in a few in the Newcastle game.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Reports are that Mourinho has just turned down the England job in favour of an offer from a "mystery" club.

I had a sneaking suspicion a few weeks back that Mourinho was going to be lined up as a replacement for Rafa. It might not happen until next June, though.

TBH, I would be over the moon if we got Jose. What greater challenge could there be in club football than to recapture the league title with Liverpool. He would be lauded throughout the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

DC wrote: »
    Reports are that Mourinho has just turned down the England job in favour of an offer from a "mystery" club.

I had a sneaking suspicion a few weeks back that Mourinho was going to be lined up as a replacement for Rafa. It might not happen until next June, though.

TBH, I would be over the moon if we got Jose. What greater challenge could there be in club football than to recapture the league title with Liverpool. He would be lauded throughout the game.

Pretty sure Chelsea have a clause that he can't manage English clubs in the near future

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i think near future is 1 year and i think its a gentlemans agreement because the clause would be against the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

DC wrote: »

As always we are focused on supporting our manager.

Remember that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mourinho?

As our manager? I hope you are having a laugh, he was the most hated man at Anfield 18 months ago.

Love/hate, the same thing really.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Melion wrote: »
    Mourinho?

As our manager? I hope you are having a laugh, he was the most hated man at Anfield 18 months ago.

Thought Gary Neville has that cemented forever?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Unearthly wrote: »
    Thought Gary Neville has that cemented forever?;)

Nah he's just the main subject of ridicule for having the worst tache in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Stekelly wrote: »
    Torres and Kuyt play really well together and have looked the best partnership. Kuyt's workrate makes good chances for Torres. He was involved in a few in the Newcastle game.

Kuyts workrate? Dont you mean Gerrard's throughball? Thats where most of Torres's goals come from. Kuyt can run all he wants, as long as its up and down the sideline. We desperately need a new striker, with emphasis on the strike, as in someone capable of striking a goal regularly. I for one am sick of the excuses bandied about here for continual draws and losses. At least they created chances, oh wasnt their workrate great, damn rotation, the ref/post robbed us, etc etc. Why cant we just score a few goals per game and let the scorelines do the talking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Arent all strikers supposed to have a good workrate?
    Actually arent all players supposed to have a good workrate?
    Workrate is some word Johnny Giles uses when he has nothing worthwhile to say.
    The only player who doesnt work hard that ive seen is Mark Viduka.
    A strikers job is to score, secondary jobs include holding up the ball, making space
    bringing other players into play etc.
    If he aint scoring then he aint doing his job properly!

Melion wrote: »
    Mourinho?

Id imagine a PL title would bring most people round.

Kuyts workrate? Dont you mean Gerrard's throughball?

Your confusing "the goal" with " few chances".

The easest example is the one Torres hit the bar with when Given was out of the box. the intial ball that Torres got his shot off with might have come from Gerrard but when the ball broke back to Newcastle Kuyt jumped in and won the ball twice, the 2nd one he poked the ball to Torres for a shot on an open goal. His work creates things for others. He's never going to score loads of goals for us but he'll get 10 - 12 a season and be invovled with plenty of other peoples goals.

Kuyts workrate and average goal return (same as Berbatov ) combined with Torres ability to score is a good thing.

Crouch hasnt exaclty set the world alight in his last couple of starts upfront with Torres.

IrishMike wrote: »
    A strikers job is to score, secondary jobs include holding up the ball, making space!

Ah see now theres 2 players in a front 2. If the front 2 are playing well and scoring while winnign games, which of the two that scores the most isnt the most relevant thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Nah he's just the main subject of ridicule for having the worst tache in the world!

He hasn't got a patch on these 2!

johnandian.jpg

An Citeog wrote: »

johnandian.jpg

Different era that exempt from ridicule.:)

Theres just no place for facial hair in football nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

An Citeog wrote: »

johnandian.jpg
    Yeah but they played for us and at least they could grow a bloody tache ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

He's a muskateer at the wknds, don't ya know...

Stekelly wrote: »
    Theres just no place for facial hair in football nowadays.

Tell that to Rafa

zing wrote: »
    Tell that to Rafa

Managers enjoy the freedom of a grey area in the rulebook.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Just noticed our "game in hand" is at Anfield vs West Ham :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

We desperately need a new striker, with emphasis on the strike, as in someone capable of striking a goal regularly.

we have a world class striker in the making in ryan babel,pity rafa wont play him up front (for now)although i think if we sell a striker in christmas he will become a striker and we will buy a winger.

can you imagine him and torres,the pace would destroy any defence,rafa says babel can beat men but we have seen that he can beat them and then pass to no one or not beat them at all,he is obviously a good striker and he is average at best as a winger.

I think Babel is a young winger. He can beat 50 players and still not know what to do. That happens with talent at a young age. He can be moulded into making the right decisions. I think in the long run he'd be a better winger than a striker.

PHB wrote: »
    I think Babel is a young winger. He can beat 50 players and still not know what to do. That happens with talent at a young age. He can be moulded into making the right decisions. I think in the long run he'd be a better winger than a striker.

Not true PHB, he can beat 50 men true. He knows exactly what he wants to
    do after that. The problem he has is that he cant cross the damn ball with
    either leg !!!!! You may think im joking but i really am not.
    He has a brilliant eye for goal and seems very calm in one on one situations
    He reminds me of Theo Walcott but is stronger and is a better finisher
    Neither of the 2 of them are wingers but are being played there atm due
    to their pace and ability to run at people.
    Given time both will play as strikers and both will score goals, lots of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wouldn't class him as a winger as I would Robben or Ronaldo. From what I've seen of him, he's better off playing just off a forward. His crossing isn't the best, but he has an eye for goal and the strength to muscle defenders out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Also, Marseille!

The game isn't on until 4am over here, so I'm gonna be in no fit condition for a nervy game. Liverpool seem to play best when the chips are down, so I'm expecting a win - though not exactly hoping for one. I just hope we can emerge through with no serious injuries, fresh and ready for the United game.

The problem he has is that he cant cross the damn ball with
    either leg !!!!! You may think im joking but i really am not.

He actually reminds me quite a lot of Robben as a young player. He just needs time to develop his crossing and decision making, but then I think he could really be a top top class winger in about 2 years. If people remember, Ronaldo's crossing when he first joined United was shocking, but it got better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

a bit like his diving :rolleyes:

dc69 wrote: »
    ....... i think if we sell a striker in christmas .........

My suggest is sell 3 strikers at christmas, take our chances on Torres being
    able to play the next 45+ games without injury or loss of form and the
    premiership and CL will both be walks in the park for us !!!!!!!
    Team strategy would be: keep the ball away from Sissoko and Riise and give
    it to Gerrard and Torres!

(*too much fantasy manager me thinks!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so if we lose tonight is Rafa gone? Bit of a negative note but someone just suggested it to me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement