Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Call_me_al wrote: »
    so if we lose tonight is Rafa gone? Bit of a negative note but someone just suggested it to me.
    No, but if they lose at the weekend too, then he will be, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neither Agger or Alonso have travelled.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote: »
    He actually reminds me quite a lot of Robben as a young player. He just needs time to develop his crossing and decision making, but then I think he could really be a top top class winger in about 2 years. If people remember, Ronaldo's crossing when he first joined United was shocking, but it got better.

look at PHB hammer out the facts.
    i agree here, i think he is a winger at heart. just needs to learn to put in a ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

mike65 wrote: »
    Neither Agger or Alonso have travelled.

Mike.

That's a pity - was expecting/hoping Agger to come on late this evening with a view to him starting on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Reserves thumped league leaders Boro last night 4-0, played them off the park. Liverpool reserves go top with a game in hand. Nemeth scores again, thats 5 in 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

I think Babel is a young winger. He can beat 50 players and still not know what to do. That happens with talent at a young age. He can be moulded into making the right decisions. I think in the long run he'd be a better winger than a striker.

kinda agree, only its very hard what to make of Babel at the mo

although up front he looks lively, he seems a very clinical finisher. His best ames in a red shirt that i've seen are when he;s been playing up front

Reserves thumped league leaders Boro last night 4-0, played them off the park. Liverpool reserves go top with a game in hand. Nemeth scores again, thats 5 in 3.

butcher, are these games live on LFV TV by any chance? was toying with the idea of orderin seanta, this might swing it.

all reserve games on lfc tv are live afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Call_me_al wrote: »
    all reserve games on lfc tv are live afaik.

all home reserve games maybe. Unfort I haven't had a chance to watch any to confirm.

• Advertisement

wikipedia wrote:
    LFC has promised 30 hours of original content every week, this will include such content as:

* Exclusive interviews with staff and players
    * Full replays of every Liverpool FC match in all competitions, including post match coverage & analysis
    * Pre-match coverage of all Liverpool FC games
    * Live news
    * Classic matches
    * Many friendlies and reserve games involving Liverpool FC broadcast live.
    * Interactive studio discussions and call-in shows with former Liverpool players, supporters, celebrity fans and football experts
    * Documentaries based on the club's history
    * John Barnes Show. A chat show featuring former players and managers, current players and celebrity fans.

hmm i was under the impression it was all, ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Really excited about tonights game. I'm going into it with a lot of confidence. Torres' knock that he got taken off for against Reading is gone, was training today (photos in all the papers). A little dissapointed that Agger/Alonso didn't travel. Should be fit soon hopefully. A lot of the papers are predicting a:
    Reina
    ---Arbeloa
    Carra----Hyypia
    Riise
    Benayoun
    Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Kewell
    Kuyt
    Torres

I'd be happy with that, if any change, Finnan in, Riise out, Arbeloa left. But not too pushed about that decision.
    Some papers even mentioned Hobbs to start. I highly doubt it. Thats why imo Hyypia was rested at Reading. Im going for a 3-0 win for Liverpool. Torres and Gerrard on the score sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

zing wrote: »
    all home reserve games maybe. Unfort I haven't had a chance to watch any to confirm.

They show away games also, I remember watching the away match against man city last month.

God Bless Your Optimism.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just for some perspective; No english team has ever won at the Velodrome.

I'll be missing the match as I'm going to a gig in Vicar St. will have it recorded and it will be watched as soon as I'm in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does anyone really think that Liverpool won't get through? I haven't met anyone yet. It's completely in their hands, they are a much superior team.

Just for some perspective; No english team has ever won at the Velodrome.

I'll be missing the match as I'm going to a gig in Vicar St. will have it recorded and it will be watched as soon as I'm in the door.

a french team had never won at anfield until this year either... ;)

Does anyone really think that Liverpool won't get through? I haven't met anyone yet. It's completely in their hands, they are a much superior team.

its hard to predict what liverpool team will show up thats the problem.

We wern't great against porto either, we cant afford to play like that in the Velodrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

we should do, but at the same time theres always the chance we wont. I dont see it as a foregone conclusion. If everybody keeps their heads, and the reported 11 is something like the team put out, we really should be getting through alright though. Must admit im nervous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Pressure is on at it'll show the character of the team if we come through this. Hoping for a result, and being honest Marseille are quite poor this year without Ribery (although Nasri might cause a lot of trouble for us), so a team of Liverpool's stature should be going into the match with high hopes. A professional performance should be enough to see us through (though another goal romp would be nice!)

Is Mr Alan in the house?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Interview with Bolo Zenden here, quite interesting on how detailed Paco's fitness regime was (had every detail on a computer apparently, might make a good add-on for Championship Manager), and on how Agger's goal against Chelsea was all planned in advance based on the Rafatollah's revelations re: holes in the Chelsea defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

I've a feeling if Liverpool win this, they'll go onto the CL final - yet again Benitez won't give a fiddlers feck about the premiership and lose the final to AC. Odds anyone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

momo a bit angry at not making the bench http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2961001,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He told radio station RMC: "I am really mad. The match is played in France, all my family is there and wanted to see me on the pitch.

Oh well he has a case there, forget about putting out the right team to win, Sissoko wants his family to see him :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Kanney wrote: »
    Im going for a 3-0 win for Liverpool.

Jeebus that IS condifent. Your beginning to sound like a Cork hurling fan!

He told radio station RMC: "I am really mad. The match is played in France, all my family is there and wanted to see me on the pitch.

"I respect that choice, but we will talk in January.

"That is quite a long time for me to ask myself the question (about leaving). I am not attracted to play one match in five."

Exellent news. I think if he said that as a bluff, it may well be called.

Mike.

gucci wrote: »
    momo a bit angry at not making the bench http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2961001,00.html

jesus he's "hinted he could be set to leave Anfield in January"

if we get another 10 million offer from Juve i'd be delighted :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I hate it when people get so delighted about players who are past their best leaving.

Before Sissoko had his eye injury he was an animal, and people loved him.

Fair enough, he's not at his best any more, but I think his departure should be greeted with a bit more respect than a load of delighted smiley faces etc.

Same goes for Riise and other good servants of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just for some perspective; No english team has ever won at the Velodrome..

Yes but had'nt 2 or 3 countries teams never won at all in england before visiting Anfield over the last couple of years? Works both ways.

EDIT. Sticky got their first. Stupid work getting in the way of posting earlier on boards.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

ta ra Momo

spockety wrote: »
    I hate it when people get so delighted about players who are past their best leaving.

Before Sissoko had his eye injury he was an animal, and people loved him.

Fair enough, he's not at his best any more, but I think his departure should be greeted with a bit more respect than a load of delighted smiley faces etc.

Same goes for Riise and other good servants of the club.

Riise has been around for , what, nearly 8 years at this stage. Sissoko put in a decent season. Hardly going down in a list of all time Liverpool greats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Unearthly wrote: »
    Oh well he has a case there, forget about putting out the right team to win, Sissoko wants his family to see him :rolleyes:

He could just do a Stephen Ireland and refuse to play under the manager again. That'll surely force Gillett and Hicks' hand!:p

An Citeog wrote: »
    He could just do a Stephen Ireland and refuse to play under the manager again. That'll surely force Gillett and Hicks' hand!:p

Yeah, they might make use of him in one of their "franchises" over in 'merica.

come to think of it, maybe thats what they have planned for Rafa. they might think he could do wonders with an ice hockey team or some such. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yeah, they might make use of him in one of their "franchises" over in 'merica.

come to think of it, maybe thats what they have planned for Rafa. they might think he could do wonders with an ice hockey team or some such. :)

I could definitely see Liverpool embracing the NFL. Might even start their own team :D :

livhw0uy9.png

Sissoko not playing is very interesting, maybe he won't be playing against United after all. Who would expect Rafa to go 4-4-2 against United?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

gucci wrote: »

thats a joke,does he realise he is an absolute disgrace on the pich and probably playing at championship level at the moment and he thinks he deserves to be in the squad cause his family are there.hope they sell him tbh,he wouldnt get in any of the 3 other top teams squads,why do we have to accept second rate players,we are after all the most succesfull club in english history and this year was the year we were gona win the league,he is simply not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'd be fairly shocked if momo started against utd. in a game where retaining possesion is important, playing momo would be just....i dunno, ironic.

He could drop Lucas into foward-looking 5 man MF, Lucas has shown composure on the ball and could release Gerrard/Torres.

Mike

dc69 wrote: »
    and this year was the year we were gona win the league

lol, i must've missed that memo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Riise has been around for , what, nearly 8 years at this stage. Sissoko put in a decent season. Hardly going down in a list of all time Liverpool greats.

Didnt he get our 7000th goal in League football? None other than Molby, Dalglish and Hunt scored the 6000th, 5000th and 4000th goals respectively. That puts him on a list of all time Liverpool greats in my eyes

Didnt he get our 7000th goal in League football? None other than Molby, Dalglish and Hunt scored the 6000th, 5000th and 4000th goals respectively. That puts him on a list of all time Liverpool greats in my eyes

Meh, it's his only goal. Flukeing your name onto a list that happens to have great players means very little. Anyone could have got the 7000th goal, it just happened to be him. If a reserve player had played 1 game, got the 7000th goal and been sold, would he get on the greats list?

4-4-2

Reina
    Arbeloa-Carragher-Hyypia-Riise
    Yossi-Gerrard-Mascherano-Kewell
    Torres-Kuyt

Could we see that against United aswell? Maybe Rafa's finally finding his favorite 11. If Gerrard plays poorly today, Liverpool are gona be in huge trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id like to see Mo kept if he could back to anywhere near the level he was at before he got that eye injury. He was immense before that and looked like he had the potential to be one of the best def mids in the world. Its just gone horribly wrong for him the last year or so. To come out and give out about Rafa dropping him means he's gone, there is no way Rafa will stand for that. And how can he possibly justify demanding to be in the first team when he's playing like he is at the moment?

His passing is on a par with a 10yr old playing for my local team(maybe being bit unfair on the kid), he is great for breaking up play but nothing more.

As for tonight, im very confident. Cant see us not beating Marseille, they are a poor side who got lucky at Anfield when they met an out of form side. 2 or 3 - Nil i think (Bet i regret posting this :D )

4-4-2

Reina
    Arbeloa-Carragher-Hyypia-Riise
    Yossi-Gerrard-Mascherano-Kewell
    Torres-Kuyt

Could we see that against United aswell? Maybe Rafa's finally finding his favorite 11. If Gerrard plays poorly today, Liverpool are gona be in huge trouble.

I think put Gerrard on the right, Alonso in the centre and Agger in place of Sami and thats his favourite 11. That team should be enough to see off Marseille, Stevie always plays well when he's got Masch beside him. Im expecting a big performance from Harry, he's been great so far this season. And Kuyt to pop up with a goal too.

To come out and give out about Rafa dropping him means he's gone, there is no way Rafa will stand for that.

Eh didn't Gerrard do pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago?

Maybe Rafa's finally finding his favorite 11

rafa will NEVER ever ever (forever ever?! forever ever) find a favourate 11, he doesnt want one. he has a favourate 5 or 6 and the rest of the monkeys fit in to play a role in any particular match given the oppositions strenghts and weaknesses

welcome to rafa 101, a banning of the phrase "is this rafas best 11" or "is rafa going to stop rotating" would help my eyes from bleeding every time i click on a new page in this thread. its like the same question asked in a different way everytime when its obvious rafa has never and will never have any intention of playing the same 11 every game. thats just the way it is. i dont know why people don get that by now, its his 4th year at the club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Meh, it's his only goal. Flukeing your name onto a list that happens to have great players means very little. Anyone could have got the 7000th goal, it just happened to be him. If a reserve player had played 1 game, got the 7000th goal and been sold, would he get on the greats list?

Yes. Yes he would. All our players are great *. Fact!
    ;)

(*except Kuyt and Voronin who are distinctly average)

Eh didn't Gerrard do pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago?

To put it simply, No.

• Advertisement

He did actually, he had a moan after getting subbed in the derby game.

I like that line-up alot.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement