Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Would be nice to see Xabi come back. Then we could go for a 4-3-3 with Xabi and Masch holding, Stevie attacking. Torres up front and Kewell and Yossi/Babel on the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

King Kenny & Torres interview in english! Torres speaks english really well. I was surprised.

http://rapidshare.com/files/76087482/King_Kid.mp3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Tusky wrote: »
    King Kenny & Torres interview in english! Torres speaks english really well. I was surprised.
    And King Kenny? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I linked that on the previous page! :mad: ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

edit

wrong thread, oops!"

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    I linked that on the previous page! :mad: ;)

Mike.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

good news about Xabi, still not sure if Rafa will play him though. We can definately beat them witout him, but he'd help :)

Fair play to Dub13 and all involved in last nights event at the Tram, great crack again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

lads after watching torres half way through this season,there is no doubt that i would have him over rooney or tevez!im so glad we didnt buy tevez,he will be the best striker in the premiership(probably world) for the next few years.I am using those 2 because they are probably the other best 2 strikers in the premiership.

hopefully we can beat the manc's on sat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

dc69 wrote: »
    I am using those 2 because they are probably the other best 2 strikers in the premiership.

Uhm, Drogba? Anyways Torres is class and he's only gonna get better so we've got exciting times ahead!

As for Sunday, I see no reason why we can't beat Utd? The squad is certainly good enough, it's all about the confidence and I'm sure the squad are on a high. So roll on Sunday.

Uhm, Drogba? Anyways Torres is class and he's only gonna get better so we've got exciting times ahead!

As for Sunday, I see no reason why we can't beat Utd? The squad is certainly good enough, it's all about the confidence and I'm sure the squad are on a high. So roll on Sunday.

I think Torres has the potential to be a much much better player than Drogba. Only time will tell I suppose but I wouldn't swap him for Drogba.

Torres is currently the joint highest scoring striker and highest scoring player if you don't include penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

zing wrote: »
    Xabi back training and could be ok for the weekend.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158045071213-1433.htm

Agger & Finnan still out unfortunately :(

I'll be annoyed if Benitez decides to bring Alonso straight back for such a big game - possibly thinking Gerard on the wing is a good idea - Rafa really annoys me sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

As for Sunday, I see no reason why we can't beat Utd? The squad is certainly good enough.

Yeah, I too think our squad is better, but first 11 with Alonso and Agger out? Being realistic, ManU have a better first 11 at the moment, and we really do need to beat them on Sunday, a draw is fine for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alonso, Masc and Gerrard in the middle with Torres up front on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Tusky wrote: »
    I think Torres has the potential to be a much much better player than Drogba. Only time will tell I suppose but I wouldn't swap him for Drogba.

Torres is currently the joint highest scoring striker and highest scoring player if you don't include penalties.

but why wouldnt you :confused:

tbh, iv always been impressed with him, seen him for a good few years in la liga, but he has surprised me this year, not with how good he is, but how quickly he adapted

Am I the only one not that tense/worried about this game? If Rafa plays the same 11 as Marseille I don't see too much to worry about. They just need to remember to start the game at a tempo that suits Gerrard and Torres rather than allow Utds MF to tap it around and out to 'you know who'.

Mike

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Fair play to Dub13 and all involved in last nights event at the Tram, great crack again!

Thanks....it was a cracking night and we got some crowed.Molby was in fine forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

event wrote: »
    but why wouldnt you :confused:

The problem with penos is that each club usually has a taker. Torres would have more goals if he was the taker. IT's limiting his goalscoreing throuhg no fault of his own.

Judging by skill level and finishing I can only imagine Torres beign as good or better than Fowler at taking penos. Theres certain players I'd be willign to put large amounts of money scoring high pressure penos. 3 that spring to mind are Fowler, Didi and Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

torres doesnt take em as he is rubbish at them for some reason. some commenter made a point of it last year on sky.

Maybe he can't score if he has to think about it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Call_me_al wrote:
    torres doesnt take em as he is rubbish at them for some reason. some commenter made a point of it last year on sky.

Aye he has a pretty poor pens taken/goals ratio. He took a rubbish one for his first for us as well in pre-season

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mr Alan wrote: »
    last nights event at the Tram, great crack again!

Here is a link to that Goal Molby was talking about...

Link

id like to throw my ring into the hat and say it was a great night...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Maybe he can't score if he has to think about it.

Indeed. We've seen evidence of that in a couple of games this year, lots of times we've seen him miss when he's in an easy one on one, and score immense goals with absolutely no time to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote: »
    Indeed. We've seen evidence of that in a couple of games this year, lots of times we've seen him miss when he's in an easy one on one, and score immense goals with absolutely no time to think.

A better Robbie Keane?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Stekelly wrote: »
    A better Robbie Keane?:)

Keane is quite amazing at penos tbf

I actually kinda think of Torres as a Robbie Keane with more pace. He has the same technical ability as him, maybe doesn't have the same passing ability, but he seems to demonstrate that oh so annoying trait that lots of amazing strikers have, score utterly amazing goals and often miss the simplest of tap ins.

I actually kinda think of Torres as a Robbie Keane with more pace. He has the same technical ability as him, maybe doesn't have the same passing ability, but he seems to demonstrate that oh so annoying trait that lots of amazing strikers have, score utterly amazing goals and often miss the simplest of tap ins.

As good a player as Robbie is, Torres is much better. Apart from The Newcastle game Torres has been really clinical for us so far. Havent seen him miss any tap ins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I never tire of PHB's back-handed compliments!

Forget about pace, Torres' biggest asset is his composure. There hasn't been a player with a cooler head at Liverpool since Fowler. The Newcastle game was an aberration, don't draw too much from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Link

Here are just some of the stats:

Ryan Babel has not scored in his last six starts yet his last five goals have come in a total of 142 minutes as a substitute. :eek:

Steven Gerrard has scored in each of his last six games at Anfield. Should he score in this match he will become the first player in Liverpool history to score in seven successive home games. Four others have scored in six in a row - John Aldridge (1987), Kevin Keegan (1976), Roger Hunt (1963-64) and Gordon Hodgson (1927).

In midweek he became the first player since John Aldridge in 1989 to score in seven consecutive games in all competitions.

Should he score against United he will equal the club record of eight in a row set by Dick Forshaw on 15th December 1924. (Almost 83 years to the day). He has scored in 10 of the Reds last 11 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

He also has size, strength and the fact that he is not from tallaght on his side ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

IrishMike wrote: »
    He also has size, strength and the fact that he is not from tallaght on his side ;)

Doesn't do an irritating celebration and try and shake off/run away from his teammates when they try to celebrate with him so he can do said crap celebration.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The-Rigger wrote: »

Ryan Babel has not scored in his last six starts yet his last five goals have come in a total of 142 minutes as a substitute. :eek:

Is it a chance this is because he has been coming on when games have already been won and the other team have there heads down a bit, or are committing too many forward, or are just tired because he has so much pace. I could be wrong but I dont think he has bveen coming on and winning games.

Thats true he scores the 3rd/4th/5th goal, its a handy weapon though.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Is it a chance this is because he has been coming on when games have already been won and the other team have there heads down a bit, or are committing too many forward, or are just tired because he has so much pace. I could be wrong but I dont think he has bveen coming on and winning games.

Yeah but people have been complaining for years that unlike Utd or Arsenal, Liverpool when they're winning a match maybe 1 or 2 nil, they can f*** it up because they don't have the ability or will to go on and completely crush teams by putting it beyond doubt at 3 or 4 nil.
    If we have a player like Babel who will come on and do that for us, then great.

It's probably another one of those cases of things about where Utd or Arsenal do something it's Championship winning form.. when Liverpool do it it's for some other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

spockety wrote: »
    Yeah but people have been complaining for years that unlike Utd or Arsenal, Liverpool when they're winning a match maybe 1 or 2 nil, they can f*** it up because they don't have the ability or will to go on and completely crush teams by putting it beyond doubt at 3 or 4 nil.

It's probably another one of those cases of things about where Utd or Arsenal do something it's Championship winning form.. when Liverpool do it it's for some other reason.

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing. I was just putting some perspective around his scoring. Also I dont think he was bought to be an impact sub. He is obviously a player who was brought in with an eye for the future. So what I am saying is he obviously needs to work on his game to become more impactful over 90 mins. The exact same thing alot of Utd (Nani etc.), and Aresnal(Walcot etc) players need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I love the way Liverpool fans bring up the whole "championship winning form" argument. The reason people say that about Arsenal and United is because they've dug out results and actually gone on to win the Premiership. Hindsight is a great thing and you can bet your ass people weren't calling it championship winning form before United, Arsenal or Chelsea went on to claim their first title in recent times. If Liverpool win the Premiership, then and only then will a scrappy 1-0 win be referred to as that oh so important championship winning form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

was i talking to you in the pub lastnite lol just messing. Had a big arguement/conversation about nando lastnite with a mate and i said the exact as above. spooky

• Advertisement

I know what you're saying.. but it's just typical of the current trend where people will pick holes in things like that at Liverpool, but if Theo Walcott came on for 20 minutes a match and banged in the goals that made it 3 or 4 nil, he would be hailed as a messiah who puts games beyond doubt for Arsenal.

I'm not saying you're saying that.. but it's just typical. It's why when Liverpool win the league, they will get absolutely no credit for it. They will not have won the league on merit, they will have won it because of some other factor that caused Utd, Arse, or Chelsea not to have won it.

An Citeog wrote: »
    I love the way Liverpool fans bring up the whole "championship winning form" argument. The reason people say that about Arsenal and United is because they've dug out results and actually gone on to win the Premiership. Hindsight is a great thing and you can bet your ass people weren't calling it championship winning form before United, Arsenal or Chelsea went on to claim their first title in recent times. If Liverpool win the Premiership, then and only then will a scrappy 1-0 win be referred to as that oh so important championship winning form.

How many of Arsenal's current first 11 or first 15 have won the league with Arsenal?

Don't tell me if Walcott was doing what Babel is doing that it wouldn't be called title winning form, even though Walcott and most of the players around him haven't got the experience of a league title at Arsenal under their belts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

How many of Arsenal's current first 11 or first 15 have won the league with Arsenal?

Don't tell me if Walcott was doing what Babel is doing that it wouldn't be called title winning form, even though Walcott and most of the players around him haven't got the experience of a league title at Arsenal under their belts.

I think it's as much to do with Fergie and Wenger as it is with the players tbh. Anyway, Walcott would get that praise just because he's English. I'm not attacking Liverpool here, it's more to do with the media perception.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Whoever posted it makes sense. When united were battling to 1-0's last season and in seasons before it was title winning form. But when Liverpool do it, its lucky and we're scraping through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

and whenever liverpool win easy it's not because we were class it was because the opposition were sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The thing is quite a bit of the time we are just scraping thru :(

An Citeog wrote: »
    I think it's as much to do with Fergie and Wenger as it is with the players tbh. Anyway, Walcott would get that praise just because he's English. I'm not attacking Liverpool here, it's more to do with the media perception.

Eh, media perception is exactly my point! :D

p.s. Rafa is a title winning manager ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

kaimera wrote: »
    The thing is quite a bit of the time we are just scraping thru :(

But what im saying is, if it was United doing it then everyone would be banging on about how they are winning matches they dont deserve and its the sign of champions. But when we do it we're just getting lucky.

Oh and what matches have we scraped through?(Fulham maybe)

Melion wrote: »
    But what im saying is, if it was United doing it then everyone would be banging on about how they are winning matches they dont deserve and its the sign of champions. But when we do it we're just getting lucky.

Kind of unfair to say we scraped through seeing as it was 2-0. We dominated, controlled possession & lots of chances. We just scored late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Melion wrote: »

I completely agree.

I should have said previous seasons we have scraped thru games; this season is going well I think.

I think the argument is that Liverpool are scraping through wins, not as part of title winning form, but as luck. This is why they keep slipping up every 3 games or so and can't seem to get a run going.
    While when you win games that you don't deserve to as part of an 8 wins in a row run, you have title winning form.
    That said, I'm not sure I buy that.

Two seasons back Liverpool went on two runs of 10 and 11 games unbeaten that was proberly put down to luck as well.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

mike65 wrote: »
    Two seasons back Liverpool went on two runs of 10 and 11 games unbeaten that was proberly put down to luck as well.

Mike.

when exactly - if its the time I am thinking of they were out of contention - its easy do it under no pressure

It's hardly easy. A lot of the teams they were playing during these runs were relegation or UEFA cup spot scrappers who had a lot riding on the matches.

But see, there you go again anyway.. when Liverpool do something it's always for any other reason other than the fact they were good and deserved it!

kida it was the 2005/06 season, there was a run before Christmas which ended with a defeat to Man Utd in January, then another from 15 March to seasons end, Liverpool finished that season third 1 point off Utds total.

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement