Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GBX wrote: »
    Saw the highlights from the Bolton v City game, Guthrie looked good today. Set up a few chances.

He's looked good all season. Only problem is if/when he comes back he's not goign to get in ahead of Gerrard /Alonso/Masch/Lucas. I'd like to see him back and get a run next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

yeah ... he looks a solid player. I agree would be tough to push through into 1st team.. we shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The new owners bought us Torres, I'm not in the slight bit miffed if they change their minds 100 times about the design of the stadium.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

two world class wingers and pool are sorted.
    as is, we have makeshift top 2 wingers in kewell and pennant and babel as an impact sub. that isnt the standard of giggs, ronaldo, cole, malouda, hleb etc.

yossi is west ham material, nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

^^^ Agreed, we need two world class wingers and another central defender in order to mount a genuine challenge for the title. With our current squad we can challenge for the league if a few things go in our favour but it is unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

We also need another striker.
    Voronin is crap and kuyt is a cross country runner pretending to be a footballer!
    He will never score enough goals and thats what he is there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

IrishMike wrote: »
    We also need another striker.
    Voronin is crap and kuyt is a cross country runner pretending to be a footballer!
    He will never score enough goals and thats what he is there for.

he does have that 1 thing johnny giles has a hard on for....."honesty of effort"

ive seen enough of kuyt at this stage though, he's been there long enough to have a good idea of what he's all about and he looks miles away from what we need in front of goal as far as actually scoring...which ya know is kinda important...

he's a great player for the team and i'm sure to actually play with him would be awesome as a player because he works so hard and ****, but his confidence in himself in front of goal is zero. so sick of him passing the ball when he's got a golden opportunity to score

he suits rafa's style of play though, so i dont see him leaving anytime soon unless we got a big offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Liverpool team in full: Reina, Arbeloa, Riise, Hyypia, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Benayoun, Kewell, Torres, Kuyt.

Subs: Itandje, Babel, Crouch, Aurelio, Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

An unchanged side from the last game.

:confused::p

Would we rather see Riise or Aurelio on the pitch?

Johnie Arnie Riise is gunna pop up with his first Liverpool goal in quite some time. :cool::cool:

team MUTV

VDS
    BROWN
    RIO
    VIDIC
    EVRA
    RONALDO
    HARGREAVES
    ANDERSON
    GIGGS
    RONNEY
    TEVEZ

Bench

KUSZAZAK, O SHEA CARRICK FLETCHER SAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

The-Rigger wrote: »
    An unchanged side from the last game.

:confused::p

Would we rather see Riise or Aurelio on the pitch?

Dont know about that,i quite like aurelio he is better at defending imo.im dissapointed crouch isnt on the pitch him and torres are both very tall and would cause ferdinand nd vidic terrible trouble,kuyt is a clown who after the game when the performance is summed up we will see that he just ran for 90mins but contributed nothing.i hope im wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Liverpool team in full: Reina, Arbeloa, Riise, Hyypia, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Benayoun, Kewell, Torres, Kuyt. Subs: Itandje, Babel, Crouch, Aurelio, Lucas.

ah got there late!! anyway Benni is a bit light but happy enough with that team.

want to see Babel on.

absolutely ****e,im not usually too negative but we have no chance of winning anything this year,period.
    Kuyt,Risse,Kewell,Benayoun,Voronin arent good enough,we need a new cb,2 wingers and use babel as a striker.I would also question whether arbeloa and aurelio are good enough,probably ok.

Hicks and gilette have to open their wallets and we need at least 40million for 2 new wingers probably more,Quaresma and ?and another 20 million for a cb and Sb.Cant sell voronin cause he is on a bosman so sell kuyt,risse,kewell,benayoun,hypia and then voronin when possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Rangers sold Boumsong after 6 months as far as i know, after getting him on a bosman. Maybe there was something differerent due to age or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

:(
    Yeah devestated at the loss but its not the end of the world.
    Kuyts first touch was awful today and I dont think Kewell had the best of games today. Benny was a bit lightweight for this match. A few positives the defence took care of pretty much anything that came their way..even Riise (just let himself down when he went forward). Babel looked a threat when he came on.
    We didnt capitalise on VDS' mistakes. It will be interesting to see how this meeting with Hicks and Gillette goes now.

dc69 wrote: »
    absolutely ****e,im not usually too negative but we have no chance of winning anything this year,period.
    Kuyt,Risse,Kewell,Benayoun,Voronin arent good enough,we need a new cb,2 wingers and use babel as a striker.I would also question whether arbeloa and aurelio are good enough,probably ok.

Hicks and gilette have to open their wallets and we need at least 40million for 2 new wingers probably more,Quaresma and ?and another 20 million for a cb and Sb.Cant sell voronin cause he is on a bosman so sell kuyt,risse,kewell,benayoun,hypia and then voronin when possible!

Reactionary much?

Makes no sense to sell Hypia, you wouldn't get much if anything for him at his age, and he is a good player to have in the squad as cover.

Reactionary much?

Makes no sense to sell Hypia, you wouldn't get much if anything for him at his age, and he is a good player to have in the squad as cover.

I also thought the consensus here was that Quaresma won't add anything to us.

Reactionary much?

I also thought the consensus here was that Quaresma won't add anything to us.

well dont sell hypia then but as as im concerned the rest stand,every other team has good wingers and strikers ,why should we settle for benayoun and voronin

risse is a joke is he a left back or a winger?cause he can defend and cant cross or shoot,or set up players,kuyt could run a marathon but apart from that offers nothing,kewell isnt the same player we bought,benayoun isnt cut out for the premiership imo,but would do well in spain,voronin is like kuyt,but doesnt run as much,so he is absolutely useless!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

the less voronin plays the more he's critisiced for his performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

well dont sell hypia then but as as im concerned the rest stand,every other team has good wingers and strikers ,why should we settle for benayoun and voronin

risse is a joke is he a left back or a winger?cause he can defend and cant cross or shoot,or set up players,kuyt could run a marathon but apart from that offers nothing,kewell isnt the same player we bought,benayoun isnt cut out for the premiership imo,but would do well in spain,voronin is like kuyt,but doesnt run as much,so he is absolutely useless!

Lets sell the whole team and just buy Kaka ? :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, Voronin was definitely the reason we lost today.

Tusky wrote: »
    Lets sell the whole team and just buy Kaka ? :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, Voronin was definitely the reason we lost today.

the fact that he wasnt playing today signals how **** he is,everyone here can say im overreacting all they want,but i dont think 1 person would be dissapointed if we sold all the players i stated!and got some quality in

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

absolutely in every game bar today kewell has been a huge threat didnt do well today i can't defend him on that but selling him would be beyond stupid he's as good as any left winger out there.

the fact that he wasnt playing today signals how **** he is,everyone here can say im overreacting all they want,but i dont think 1 person would be dissapointed if we sold all the players i stated!and got some quality in

Haven't you a bridge to lurk under?

Haven't you a bridge to lurk under?

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I think dc69 has a point, but just isnt going the right way about making it due to his anger. Kuyt, Voronin and Benayoun should be nowhere near a team with title ambitions.

• Advertisement

in the same way neither should o'shea, brown, fletcher and saha but they are, teams cant have 22 players who are top class...

Archimedes wrote: »
    I think dc69 has a point, but just isnt going the right way about making it due to his anger. Kuyt, Voronin and Benayoun should be nowhere near a team with title ambitions.

You could easily say the same about Saha, O Shea, Fletcher etc. No team is going to have a full squad of world class players.

[edit]
    Call_me_al wrote: »
    in the same way neither should o'shea, brown, fletcher and saha but they are, teams cant have 22 players who are top class...

!

You could easily say the same about Saha, O Shea, Fletcher etc. No team is going to have a full squad of world class players.

[edit]

!

yes,but those players are part of their squad,liverpools poor players are on the first team and play week in and out,the players i have mentioned might be ok squad players but should not be regularily in the first team,and a few of them are definitely not good enough for even the squad

[edit]

!

Yes but are those players getting in the United team each week if everyone is fit?

I'd say if Man Utd had major injury problems and they had to play O'Shea and Fletcher every match, then Ferguson would buy someone asap as i doubt he could trust them week in week out.

Im not a Liverpool fan, but apart from Torres, Gerrard and Babel nobody else worries me when they get the ball. Kuyt was terrible imo today, anytime I see him he makes lunges for the ball and he's praised for being so committed, but thats not going to win the league for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

True and those type of players play important roles throughout the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Wes Brown has been the regular right back of the defense that has conceded the least goals in the league so I dont see your argument there. Fletcher is a left over from that dry spell we went through, but is a 5th/6th choice centre midfielder. O'Shea has played every position possible for United, and even pops up with the odd goal every now and then - Im sure I dont have to remind you about that though. As for Saha, he is very unlucky with injuries but always gets goals for us and is far better than anything Liverpool have up front excluding Torres. Not bad for a 3rd choice striker. Maybe I shouldn;t have said that they shouldnt be near the team, but they definitely shouldnt be starting 11 players. Apart from Brown, who is a quality player, the player's you have mentioned for us dont play regularly whereas Kuyt, Vornin and Benayoun have featured quite regularly for Liverpool, 2 of them being in your fully-fit starting 11 apparently.

Kuyt was terrible imo today, anytime I see him he makes lunges for the ball and he's praised for being so committed, but thats not going to win the league for Liverpool.

Someone said in on the match day thread that Kuyt isn't a striker, he is a cross country runner. Can't get the thought out of my head. :p

I think we definitely paid over the odds for him.
    dc69 wrote:
    the fact that he wasnt playing today signals how **** he is,everyone here can say im overreacting all they want,but i dont think 1 person would be dissapointed if we sold all the players i stated!and got some quality in.

If you are serious DC, fair enough. I take back the troll comment. I misread what you said, thought you were suggesting we would be better off selling the whole squad and starting over. :p

Archimedes wrote: »
    Wes Brown has been the regular right back of the defense that has conceded the least goals in the league so I dont see your argument there. Fletcher is a left over from that dry spell we went through, but is a 5th/6th choice centre midfielder. O'Shea has played every position possible for United, and even pops up with the odd goal every now and then - Im sure I dont have to remind you about that though. As for Saha, he is very unlucky with injuries but always gets goals for us and is far better than anything Liverpool have up front excluding Torres. Not bad for a 3rd choice striker. Maybe I shouldn;t have said that they shouldnt be near the team, but they definitely shouldnt be starting 11 players. Apart from Brown, who is a quality player, the player's you have mentioned for us dont play regularly whereas Kuyt, Vornin and Benayoun have featured quite regularly for Liverpool, 2 of them being in your fully-fit starting 11 apparently.

exactly,dont forget risse!lol

Brown is good but I wouldnt say quality, if he was quality he'd be playing RB when Neville's back and i doubt that. It could have being 1-1 today because of him heading the ball straight to Liverpool when Babel didnt scored. He's the most mistake prone of all the the first choice defenders atm and wont be a big loss if he doesnt sign a contract and leaves in the summer. If he thought it was his position he wouldnt have rejected a final contract offer.

[QUOTE=kaisersose77;54668552 He's the most mistake prone of all the the first choice defenders atm.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

He is a liability at times but not a bad squad player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Someone said in on the match day thread that Kuyt isn't a striker, he is a cross country runner. Can't get the thought out of my head. :p

Its flipping true.
    I may have said it a little tongue in cheek but the guy is never going to
    score a lot of goals at the top level. His touch is poor, his technique is poor and he
    doesn't have the composure in front of goal.
    We sold Cisse for all those reasons but at least he had pace, kuyt doesnt!
    Find him a field, give him a bib and time him.
    Let him win medals that way because he will never be a reason Liverpool win
    medals in a footballing sense.
    Its fine if he was a squad player but we paid big money for him and he is part
    of our first choice strike partnership.
    Also think we have absolutely no wingers.
    Its a sad sad day when Pennant is the best winger at the club.
    Also the more i see of Mascherano the more i think he is definitely NOT worth €17 million.
    At most he is worth €10 million maybe at a push €12 million.

As you can see i am not feeling overly optimistic at this point in time :D
    Rafa has built a brilliant team considering the money he has had.
    He basically was given nothing by the owners except the money
    the team earned by getting to CL final.
    There is an article on the back of todays Independant talking about
    rafa, torres, the yank owners and dunphy.
    Talks about how everyone keeps saying if Rafa stopped rotating
    Torres they would win more matches.
    Then points out that Torres has started all but 2 games this season in
    the league, and then quotes idiots like andy townsend saying the
    exact opposite!
    Its quality and should be read by everyone.

I think we definitely paid over the odds for him.

If you are serious DC, fair enough. I take back the troll comment. I misread what you said, thought you were suggesting we would be better off selling the whole squad and starting over. :p

we have some great players!that we should be proud to have in our squad!and are equally as good as any other teams in the premierships players!

this is what i think our first team should be like

Reina
    Finnan/arbeloa-Agger-Carra-Aurelio/risse
    Mancini-Masch/alonso-Gerrard/lucas-Qaresma
    Babel-Torres
    its only really the wings we need improvement,babel is a great striker so we just need him up front and gets some wingers in

im just using mancini and quaresma as exaples,im sure you all could think of other wingers,but i hope you understand i amnt badmouthing our team for the sake of it.

I'd say Mancini and Quaresma would cause a lot of off the field problems no matter how good they are.

The day gets even worse for Liverpool

Arsenal Ladies 4 - Liverpool Ladies 0

I'd say Mancini and Quaresma would cause a lot of off the field problems no matter how good they are.

you could be right but imo rafa needs to go on monday and raid porto and sporting's reserve squads,they have produced ronaldo,nani, and quaresma ,portugal is the place to go for young brilliant players,especially creative wingers!:)

they seem to be churning out,proper out and out wingers,rafa is using babel as a winger,he is a striker

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

this is what i think our first team should be like

Reina
    Finnan/arbeloa-Agger-Carra-Arbeloa/risse
    Mancini-Masch/alonso-Gerrard/lucas-Qaresma
    Babel-Torres

I agree if you could just get them all fit and playing every week (for liverpool) you'd have a great chance.

• Advertisement

i also think that there should be a policy brought in for 2012,that each premiership team has to field at least 3 english players,over here we could say we dont care about how the english national team do,but i dont think its fair on them,that their national team has to suffer becuase the rest of the world wants to see great football.their have been and are great english players and it would not affect the game much imo

that idea does not contradict my other statement about bringin in other players becuase every team would have to abide and it gives enough time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Well that was disappointing to say the least. Losing to Man United always leaves a sick feeling in the stomach - but during the 90's and early 00's, it was clear that they outclassed us so it was easier to take. Today's game could've gone either way. Up until the goal by Tevez that is. Fair dues to United for taking the goal when it came - even though it was shocking defending by Liverpool it was still a well taken goal. And after that United's defence was absolutely excellent and Liverpool's attack more or less ineffectual. And thats where we suffered. Gerrard anonymous, Mascherano wasteful, Kuyt/Riise terrible, Torres got no ball in the second half. I'd personally have had Babel, Crouch and Lucas on for Benayoun, Kuyt and Riise myself - at half time (before the second half I said this).

On United's side I though Evra was very good after his yellow card - couple of challenges he had to time perfectly or get sent off, Vidic and Ferdinand (as much as I hate the lad) were excellent, Anderson was MOM for me he was all over the place.

Very disappointed in Liverpool's performance - we were simply outtacticked by United today - and outclassed, sadly. And we're going to find it very very hard to mount a title challenge after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i disagree very strongly that we were outclassed.

Liverpool FC issued the following press statement on Sunday night.
    A meeting was held this evening involving Tom Hicks, George Gillett, Foster Gillett, Rick Parry and Rafa Benitez which was wide ranging and positive.

The discussions were amicable and constructive. All those present are united in their desire to bring further success to the club.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i disagree very strongly that we were outclassed.

Liverpool FC issued the following press statement on Sunday night.
    A meeting was held this evening involving Tom Hicks, George Gillett, Foster Gillett, Rick Parry and Rafa Benitez which was wide ranging and positive.

The discussions were amicable and constructive. All those present are united in their desire to bring further success to the club.

Aye, the way some of the utd supporters are talking you would swear they had just won 5-0. Outclassed ? Crazy. Very tight game, specially before utd scored. Very little between the two teams.

Aye, the way some of the utd supporters are talking you would swear they had just won 5-0. Outclassed ? Crazy. Very tight game, specially before utd scored. Very little between the two teams.

Actually the fella who said that was a Pool fan.

We didnt outclass Pool, we just took our chance and defended very well.

It was a tight game all round but as I said in another thread, if i was a Pool fan iId have been annoyed by Rafas lack of ambition in the substitutions department. 3 like for like subs and leavin Mascherano on when he offers absolutely no attacking impetus whatsoever.... I know hes not in the team for that reason but when theres 10-15 mins to go and you're 1 nil down in a crunch game with a team you claim to want to rival for the title (i still believe Rafa cares only about the CL myself) u have to throw caution to the wind and attack. He never did this. He resorted to the usual Peter Crouch trick and
    hoped babel would be better than Kewell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Annoying very annoying. Yossi was completely useless today, did nothing as far as I can see? The league isn't lost yet, but we do need a massive improvement from that performance, and a top-class winger would be nice for Christmas!

Liverpool going forward were terrible and for the home team with the supposed emphasis on winning the game lacked any real ideas. Liverpool had lots of shots ? Mostly from Riise which ended up in row z . United contained Liverpool with ease imo and really should have wrapped it up with Rooney wasting that chance.

Actually the fella who said that was a Pool fan.

We didnt outclass Pool, we just took our chance and defended very well.

It was a tight game all round but as I said in another thread, if i was a Pool fan iId have been annoyed by Rafas lack of ambition in the substitutions department. 3 like for like subs and leavin Mascherano on when he offers absolutely no attacking impetus whatsoever.... I know hes not in the team for that reason but when theres 10-15 mins to go and you're 1 nil down in a crunch game with a team you claim to want to rival for the title (i still believe Rafa cares only about the CL myself) u have to throw caution to the wind and attack. He never did this. He resorted to the usual Peter Crouch trick and
    hoped babel would be better than Kewell.

It wasn't just that comment, more so the general attitude in the match thread. I think he intended to bring Lucas on for Mascherano. There was a shot of Lucas and Babel getting ready to come on. Lucas was taking off his jumper and warming up. Riise seemed to get a knock so he took him off and put Aurelio on. I can only assume he would have taken Mascherano off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

When I said outclassed, I meant in the second half (basically after the goal) just so ye know, apologies if that wasn't said. United took everything we threw at them and laughed at it defensively. They didn't need to do anything other than counter attack - thats how much better their defense was compared to our attack. I count that as out classed. Their defense and midfield outclassed our attack and midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

I'd hardly call that outclassing Liverpool.

By that rationale Birmingham outclassed Liverpool in getting their 0-0 draw at Anfield.

United did a solid job of defending their 1 goal, but outclassed?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement