Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

ballack and essian to start for chelsea,prediction of essien breaking alonso's foot again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

didn't Alex start off with a team that was much further down the pecking order though? i find it hard to make up my mind on Benitez myself. half the time i think he needs more time and money, but then you look at his flabbergasting rotation policies and think wtf?

Man Utd finished 4th the season before Alex took over, same as Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if he does, i'm going to fly to london and drop something very heavy on him. also that mikel is a trouble maker too is he banned?

looking forward to this game, should be no pressure along with some young faces and some players we haven't seen for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think we could see a very experimental side tonight judging by this interview from Rafa today:
    The Reds face the Blues knowing a victory would book their place in the last four of the Carling Cup and further enhance their chances of securing their first trip to the new Wembley.

But with a league match at home to Portsmouth on Saturday beginning a run of four games in 11 days, the boss insists he must make full use of all the players at his disposal, starting at Chelsea tonight.

"We want to win every game but we have Portsmouth on Saturday, so it is important that we use the squad," said Rafa.

"We have players who are tired so we have to analyse which players are tired and which players are ready before deciding on who will play against Chelsea.

"Christmas is a very busy period so we have to use the squad and that means I have to find a balance for each game.

"If I ask the players they tell me they want to win every game but if you have enough players in the squad with quality you should use them."

I wouldnt like to see him use too many kids/reserves because a heavy loss could really affect confidence. Hobbs, El Zhar and Spearing and not much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

dc69 wrote: »
    ballack and essian to start for chelsea,prediction of essien breaking alonso's foot again:)

What a lovely thing to wish for. Don't even want to think about what you've asked Santa for..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I'd love to see Nemeth get a run, just to see what he's like against 1st team opposition, he's only played 3 games for the reserves so far, but netted in all of them, 5 in total.

zing wrote: »
    What a lovely thing to wish for. Don't even want to think about what you've asked Santa for..

I never said i wished for it,i said i PREDICTED it!.essien and mikel are probably the 2 most dirty players in the premiership and i can see something happening!alonso is one of my favourite players and i rate him higher than mashcerano,why would i want him injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

The Liverpool team in full is: Itandje, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Hobbs, Carragher, Alonso, Lucas, Sissoko, Babel, Voronin, Crouch. Subs: Martin, Hyypia, Riise, El Zhar, Benayoun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bah you're quick!

Itandje
    Arbeloa, Hobbs, Carragher, Aurelio,
    Voronin, Lucas, Alonso Sissoko, Babel,
    Crouch.

Sort of

Subs: Martin, Hyypia, Riise, El Zhar, Benayoun.

Mike.

RustySpoon wrote: »
    The Liverpool team in full is: Itandje, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Hobbs, Carragher, Alonso, Lucas, Sissoko, Babel, Voronin, Crouch. Subs: Martin, Hyypia, Riise, El Zhar, Benayoun

4-3-3 ?
    Itandje
    Arbeloa, Aurelio, Hobbs, Carragher

sissoko
    Alonso

Lucas
    -Voronin
    Babel
    Crouch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

RustySpoon wrote: »

Momo? oh dear, so its probably something like:

Itandje
    Arbeloa--Hobbs--Carra--Aurelio
    Momo

Alonso--Lucas
    Voronin
    Babel
    Crouch

????
    I hope Alonso, Lucas and Babel are on form because I cant see anyone else stepping up to the plate to score. Hope El Zhar gets a run.

why does rafa do this,babel can play wing,vornin cant,so we have already lost a man right there in voronin,plain stupid imo

I know it will prob be a diamond but he still has no pace,cant see us win ning after that team has been named,hope im wrong though

chelsea name basically a full strnght squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Where's Insua? the lad deserves a shot in the first team!

Chelsea 7 changes

Petr Cech
    35 Juliano Belletti
    22 Tal Ben-Haim
    6 Ricardo Carvalho
    17 Wayne Bridge
    5 Michael Essien
    12 John Mikel Obi
    8 Frank Lampard (c)
    21 Salomon Kalou
    7 Andriy Shevchenko
    17 Scott Sinclair

Liverpool will play 4-3-3 according to fivelive.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

why does rafa do this,babel can play wing,vornin cant,so we have already lost a man right there in voronin,plain stupid imo

I know it will prob be a diamond but he still has no pace,cant see us win ning after that team has been named,hope im wrong though

Its not so much a lack of pace as his inability to shoot at the target with any power or accuracy in his shot. Viduka's slow pace never cost him from banging them in so its hardly a valid excuse here. Still, it was a nice bit of business by Leverkeusen offloading him onto us, even if he was free.
    I predict a Pool win with Babel and Xabi on fire.

Still, it was a nice bit of business by Leverkeusen offloading him onto us, even if he was free.
    lol:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Can't see much goals in this game at all

Sky Sports going on about Rafa fielding a weakened side. Im glad the likes of Gerrard, Mascherano and Torres aren't playing. Id rather they be rested for Portsmouth. Did they go on about Arsenal fielding a second string team last night ?

I'm sure its a 4-3-3 so Babel is playing as a wing forward I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Arsenal have a good second string.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Fairly strong Chelsea side. We'd do well to win tonight. Will be watching Sky Sports News for updates (don't have Sky)

• Advertisement

ray wilkins talks some crap...

"players cant be tired after 20 games" "why isnt carragher rested if players are tired" "zonal marking isnt as good as man marking coz players dont know who to pick up" [all paraphrased]

it is a nothing trophy and players dont have to be tired to be rested.

oh and "Frank Lampard never gets tired" LOL! you have to cover a significant amount of ground in a game to get tired..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Cant see us getting a result, glad he's rested Torres etc. Hopefully Xabi comes through unscathed and ready for the weekend. Expecting a big game from Lucas.

No match winners though!!!!!

astrofool wrote: »
    Arsenal have a good second string.

Liverpool are playing the likes of Carragher, Arbeloa, Alonso, Lucas, Babel, Crouch...I consider it to be a strong enough second string. Looking at the team Chelsea are fielding though, it looks like it will be very tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea will be quite toothless upfront with Sheva. Sinclair is meant to be promising but can't see him doing much. Kalou is meh

Can't see Liverpools frontmen doing anything either

0-0, if someone scores it will be Lampard

Sounds like loads of fans are stuck in traffic on the M40, Chelsea say the game will start on time (SKY will demand it proberbly).

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Sounds like loads of fans are stuck in traffic on the M40, Chelsea say the game will start on time (SKY will demand it proberbly).

Mike.

Ive never heard of a match being delayed because fans are stuck in traffic. They should have left earlier!

Tusky wrote: »
    Ive never heard of a match being delayed because fans are stuck in traffic. They should have left earlier!

i'm not sure if that's sarcasm? i have heard of it lots of times...

If you can't watch its on BBC five live AM/FM (blocked on net) or BBC Radio Mersyside (in the clear).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

any links to a stream?
    edit: 64362 amcik tv on tvu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Tusky wrote: »

Accident on the M40, not just heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

another game littered with carraghers punts upfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el rabitos wrote: »
    another game littered with carraghers punts upfield

He's obviously been told to play like that to some degree, otherwise Rafa would put a stop to it, no?

Listening via BBC Mersyside its all pretty even-stevens by the sound of it. Both teams have had decent chances well saved. The ref sounds like a 'homer'

Mike.

Stekelly wrote: »
    He's obviously been told to play like that to some degree, otherwise Rafa would put a stop to it, no?

always it is good to have options, no? but it is clear to win the game we must pass it on the ground, for sure

• Advertisement

Pretty even first half but I would say Rafa would be the happier manager. Sissoko has actually played surprising well apart from a couple of mistakes. Babel has looked good when hes had the ball, as had Voronin. Very little pace in the squad which is allowing Chelsea to defend quite high up the pitch.

Lucas only denied by a great save by Cech. Almost exactly the same incident had happened moments before with Lampard & Itandje.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »

But always there are poshibilities, no?

more end to end stuff, carragher punts it forward and sissoko punts it back in the wrong direction, end to end.

El Zhar coming on in a moment, Alonso off. Crouch almost scores.

Lampard scores off Carra.

Christ the wheels have fallen off. Crouch is off.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lamps deflected shot.

Who'da thunk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

****ing fluke...

lol carragher: "jammy bastard"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

To quote Carra there right after the goal: "Jammy Bastard".
    Crouch sent off.

Crouch OFF wtf?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

All gone to ****...Straight red though? bit of a homer that decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Right decision from the ref - dunno what the hell Crouch was thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Funny looking tackle from crouch there!

lol

BBC Merseyside calling "absolute nonsense".

Which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

It looked quite ridiculous in the replay.

Don't think it was a red though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Crouchy lost the plot there I feel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement