Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

and a Fabregas broken leg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Mr Alan wrote: »
    thinking a draw would suit fine.
    It was more a whisper... the Gunners down 3 this evening would be very nice though. I know the other crowd (the unmentionables from here on in!) won't do anything. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Bah feckin eejits throw it away!

Hopefully we're on a good day tomorrow! Any one for a 4-3-3, with Babel, Kewell and Torres as the front 3, Masch, Alonso and Gerrard in the centre? Would love to see that myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Two players really matter tomorrow - Elano and Petrov, they have to be kept quiet.
    So I think Rafa will be conservative with Masch/Alonso in the middle and Gerrard just ahead and Torres up front.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

We've seen that once Elano is closed down he's effectively out of the game. However, Petrov has both Arbeloa and Finnan for pace so we gotta have the right back constantly aware of him. That'll mean most of our attacks will go down the left, god I hope Riise isn't playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Think that Arbeloa could take care of Petrov, he is a bit quicker than Finnan but I do not think he is as good a defender. As it turns out though he may well be playing CB with Sami out, Agger only just back training and Hobbs not 100% either.

Crisis! Arbeloa has a bug, Rafa says Hyypia might make it, but its proberly going to be Carra/Agger or Hobbs as far as I can. Agger is in full training.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mike65 wrote: »
    Crisis! Arbeloa has a bug, Rafa says Hyypia might make it, but its proberly going to be Carra/Agger or Hobbs as far as I can. Agger is in full training.

Mike.

Youch. So Agger, Hyypia & Arbeloa arent fit.

Finnan--Carragher--Hobbs--Riise/Aurelio

Could possibly see Aurelio in CB instead of Hobbs. This is a real chance to make some ground on utd. We gained 2 points on Chelsea & Arsenal last week, would be great to gain 3 on utd this week. Heres hoping.

Also, Chelsea are going through an awful spell of injuries.

Lampard
    Drogba
    Cech
    Terry
    Shevshenko
    Malouda
    Cudichini

Yes but only back in full training this week. Thankfully I do not think it is through the middle that we will have most problems, they have the ability to make problems for anybody on the wings. Wonder how did will do for them in the centre, if he is on his game we could have trouble getting through them.

• Advertisement

Who? :p

Mike

Agger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Tomas Ujfalusi has rejected the chance to move to Liverpool in January, according to one of his agents.

The Czech defender, currently with Fiorentina, is out of contract in the summer and a host of Europe's big hitters are thought to be poised to make him an offer. But with a £500,000 deal believed to be in place between the sides, Ujfalusi has informed all parties he will make a decision on his future when he is ready, which is unlikely to be in January.

"I have to respect his decision, nevertheless it has surprised me a lot. Liverpool rarely give this offer twice to one player," Pavel Paska told CTK. Fiorentina's sports director Pantaleo Corvino admits Ujfalusi will not be rushed.

"Ujfalusi has clearly and politely announced to us that the interests of the club will not be taken into consideration in the pondering of his future, that he will make a decision purely by himself," said Corvino.

"We have offered him a three-year contract. He is 29, so we could not do anything more."

Pity as he could have been the solution to a few of our problems

Still, at least there is plenty of time to get another one now. As you say, it is a pity, we certainly need another DC as this seasons injuries have shown.

Hoping we can get a win today. If we win our two games in hand the table looks like this.

1 Arsenal 20 14 5 1 47
    2 Man. Utd. 20 14 3 3 45
    3 Liverpool 20 12 6 2 42
    4 Chelsea 20 12 5 3 41

This of course, would mean game on! The two games in hand are Man City & West Ham...not easy feat but we should be able to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tusky wrote: »
    Youch. So Agger, Hyypia & Arbeloa arent fit.

Finnan--Carragher--Hobbs--Riise/Aurelio

Could possibly see Aurelio in CB instead of Hobbs.

If theres any doubt about Hobbs fitness I'd rather he was left out and Aurelio played in the middle. That back four should be well capable of doing a job.
    Hoping we can get a win today. If we win our two games in hand the table looks like this.

1 Arsenal 20 14 5 1 47
    2 Man. Utd. 20 14 3 3 45
    3 Liverpool 20 12 6 2 42
    4 Chelsea 20 12 5 3 41

This of course, would mean game on! The two games in hand are Man City & West Ham...not easy feat but we should be able to do it.

Problem is though, god knows what the table will look like by the time they get around to scheduling the West Ham game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't want to tempt fate here but don't forget that Carragher is one yellow card away from a suspension. It was a stroke of good luck that he wasn't booked for his foul that lead to the Reading penalty. Losing him would leave us very short-staffed at the back.

malice_ wrote: »
    I don't want to tempt fate here but don't forget that Carragher is one yellow card away from a suspension. It was a stroke of good luck that he wasn't booked for his foul that lead to the Reading penalty. Losing him would leave us very short-staffed at the back.

Yeah but Agger "should" be back hopefully after this weekend so cover should be there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

maybe we'll have somebody bought by wednesday . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yeah but Agger "should" be back hopefully after this weekend so cover should be there.

but would a yellow today not mean he misses the Luton game. This would be a good thing - wiping his yellow card slate clean.

I'd like to see this team today:

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Hobbs
    Arbeloa/Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Gerrard

Kuyt
    Kewell

Torres

Well there is still a chance he will play this weekend despite him only returning to training. If Agger is fit to play and Carragher is there then I will feel a lot more comfortable about the bakcline, Alons/Masch/Gerrard, whichever of those it is v The Kaiser will be an interesting battle for me, but I think that torres will have the beating for pace of the Manc backline (barring Richards Maybe), would like to see Kewell play and put some decent ball in for the forwards to feed off.

• Advertisement

Reina

Finnan
    Carra
    Arbeloa
    Aurelio

Benayoun
    Mascherano
    Gerrard
    Kewell

Torres
    Kuyt

Confirmed.

Reina

Finnan---Arbeloa---Carragher--Aurelio

Benayoun-Mascherano-Gerrard-Kewell

Kuyt
    Torres

Bench:
    Riise
    Babel
    Alonso
    Voronin
    Itandje

Not bad. Interesting to see Arbeloa at CB. Why would you have Voronin on the bench ? He offers nothing that Kuyt doesnt...Crouch surely would be the better option.

Reina

Finnan---Arbeloa---Carragher--Aurelio

Benayoun-Mascherano-Gerrard-Kewell

Kuyt
    Torres

Bench:
    Riise
    Babel
    Alonso
    Voronin
    Itandje

Not bad. Interesting to see Arbeloa at CB.

Should be OK considering city usually play one up front - think it's Vassell today. Carragher should take care of him and Arbeloa can mop up around him. Can't wait to see Mascherano mark Elano out of the game. Petrov will be their biggest threat, but i have faith in Finnan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Crouch is serving his last match suspension. Nice team for me.

Kanney wrote: »

ah yes. Im an idiot.

Kanney wrote: »

would prefer Alonso for Benayoun, but apart from that it's a good side. No Riise is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I've no concerns about Arbeloa, I'm a big fan, He's possibly one of Rafa's best buys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This is gona be an interesting game I think, can't decide who I want to win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Anyone give me a link for the game online please ?

Thanks
    Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

ah yes. Im an idiot.

QFT :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

opr wrote: »
    Anyone give me a link for the game online please ?

Thanks
    Opr

Never mind up and running now.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A little cagey so far, Benayoun and Kuyt offering nothing.

I'd bring on Alonso or Babel (or both)

Man City have played very very well but Liverpool have been the better team. More possession although have looked shakey at the back a couple of times. Benayoun, Kewell, Kuyt & Torres have offered little. Aurelio has been our biggest attacking threat! Could go either way at this stage.

my god phil neville has nothing interesting to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Decent game. I think Arbeloa has been a little shakey but is doing good.

Id have babel on after 60mins. i reckon its going to take a bit of magic to score.

Carrgher has been immense again, mascherano has been quality as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Surely Aurelio has played Riise out of the team, he has been excellent again so far today. Great game to watch, both teams are cancelling each other out. We've been a bit better but not much. And this game has confirmed what ive wanted for ages, we should break the bank next summer for Richards.

my god phil neville has nothing interesting to say

:D

Torres should have put us ahead.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    :D

Torres should have put us ahead.

Mike.

twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I FORGOT TO DO FANTASY RAFA!!! :(:(:(

To make matters worse, at 3 when i realised and mildly freaked out and told the girlfriend, she just said 'oh, i thought it was something important'.

Women.

Liverpool, please win, for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I FORGOT TO DO FANTASY RAFA!!! :(:(:(

I noticed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Should've won that game. Dunne was magnificent, but even so, Torres should've had at least one, if not more. Gerrard was very wasteful today. Even moreso than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

MOM: Mascherano.

Why can't we win when Man U lose?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just before people get carried away and call for Rafa to be sacked and Gerrard and Torres to be dropped, this was not a bad result. City are amazing at home, this isnt a setback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Why doesnt Babel always start?

The lad has so much talent, he changed the game when he came on, it was suprising to see the pool not knick the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

torres disspointed me,i know dunne was immence but you would him to at least get a shot out,he still hasnt done it against the top teams yet imo.gerrard wasnt his best.masch was immence and showed he can pass very well and get foward,i hadnt seen much of that from him,i wish he would do that more often.arbeloa was dodgy at cb although did an ok job,we need agger.benayoun was immpresive in his trickery to beat people but is a very selfish player imo,if he had passed twice when he got in the box we might have scored.a very dissapointing game i think.

• Advertisement

Willstev wrote: »
    Why doesnt Babel always start?

The lad has so much talent, he changed the game when he came on, it was suprising to see the pool not knick the win.

Why did'nt Solskjear start every game for Utd?

Babel started against Derby and did very little. He's doing well as an impacted player against tireing players,why change that when evidence so far says he's not nearly as effective from the start.

As I said in the league thread, Torres was poor.Heseemed to be happy to half heatedly attack and get tackled.
    dc69 wrote: »
    torres disspointed me,i know dunne was immence but you would him to at least get a shot out,he still hasnt done it against the top teams yet imo.

He scored against Chelsea and was clearly stillnot fit against Arsenal.

Melion wrote: »
    Just before people get carried away and call for Rafa to be sacked and Gerrard and Torres to be dropped, this was not a bad result. City are amazing at home, this isnt a setback.

it isnt a setback as in we didnt lose but we aint gona win the league.we needed this game and now utd and arse will just pull away

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why did Solskjear start every game for Utd?

Babel started against Derby and did very little. He's doing well as an impacted player against tireing players,why change that when evidence so far says he's not nearly as effective from the start.

As I said in the league thread, Torres was poor.Heseemed to be happy to half heatedly attack and get tackled.

He scored against Chelsea.
    I am talking about Babel, you seem to be confused what club we are talking about.

Babel for ajax was pure class and you can see that when he does come on for the pool, he changes the games tempo and robs a goal the odd time aswell.

ur both talking about the same player and you are both right in differant ways.he is a good impact player and the dutch league isnt anywhere near premiership level,so he isnt going to be as good straight away and will need time.

Point accepted there dc69.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement