Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

City are a good teambut that doesn't mean a draw is a good result. Any game that isn't against the top 4 anything but a win is a bad result. Sure there are some bad results that are better than others (City Away, Spurs Away, Everton Away) but it's still a bad result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I dont look at it that way at all tbh.

Obviously a win would have been a better result. But lets remember, no many teams this year (incl. your beloved Utd) will come away from City with even a point this year.

Indeed, but it was still a poor result, just like it was for United. Any dropped points is a bad result, it's the only way to look at it if you want to win the league. Why? Because you can't be perfect in every game, you are gona drop points against Birmingham or West Hams of the world, so you have to make up for it with really impressive results over Everton Spurs or City. Anything but 3 points is a bad result, especially when you're chasing.

right so :)

interesting on another Liverpool site i use, one of the local Liverpool lads who knows Carragher claims that Torres had dead leg for about 80 minutes of yesterdays game and that Rafa has said that the team to face Wigan will be very similar to the one that played Chelsea the other week.

not sure how true that is, but he does definately know carra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote: »
    right so :)

interesting on another Liverpool site i use, one of the local Liverpool lads who knows Carragher claims that Torres had dead leg for about 80 minutes of yesterdays game and that Rafa has said that the team to face Wigan will be very similar to the one that played Chelsea the other week.

not sure how true that is, but he does definately know carra.

My mates' sister is going out with a bloke who fixed the CD player in Gary Neville's car. I know Gary Neville.

• Advertisement

That is about the most stupid post you have ever made.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sorry, I should clearly make an effort to make my posts more meaningful. Perhaps ill take lessons from the internet poster you dont even know who 'definitely' knows Jamie Carragher.

Its the internet mate. Pinch of salt and all that.

Nah the lad definately knows Carragher, has sorted out signed jersies, and carra appearing at charity events for people on the site.

sorry to disappoint.

talk in a couple of places of Baptista and Heinze for Alonso.

No thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

talk in a couple of places of Baptista and Heinze for Alonso.

No thank you

No way. Hopefully Alonso regains his form though.

With the talk of Berbatov wanting to leave Spurs id love to see him at Pool alongside Torres, with Kuyt being sold of to Newcastle or someone like that, but its never going to happen.

Realistically, I reckon we'll just sign some defensive cover, what names are being put around? Would of fancied Ujfalsi or whatever way his name is spelt. I remember we were linked with him years ago. or someone like Taylor at Newcastle, he wont sign a new contract but because hes English and Newcastle have no other decent defenders he'd cost a fortune.

• Advertisement

would love Heinze and Berbatov, that'd really get Mr fergusons nose well out of joint!

selling Momo,Riise,Crouch/Kuyt

that'd raise about 28 million i reckon..... come on rafa! ****ing do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

would love Heinze... that'd really get Mr fergusons nose well out of joint!
    Serious?

Ferguson wanted rid of Heinze as soon as he wanted to go to Liverpool.

Now he can't get a game with Real. I reckon Fergie would piss himself laughing if Rafa went for Gabby. Look at who has replaced Heinze at United ffs, Evra is a much better defender than him.

Nope, I reckon Fergie wanted Heinze for backup, nothing more. If Liverpool want United back up players, then that says a lot about them tbh.

selling Momo,Riise,Crouch/Kuyt

that'd raise about 28 million i reckon..... come on rafa! ****ing do it!

Do you mean Kuyt and Crouch or just one or the other? Otherwise I can't see how you'd get that much for them.

I do think Heinze would be good at Liverpool, but just like he'd be good at United. Provide decent cover at LB and CB. However if he was to go to Liverpool, I can't imagine he'd be going there without assurances of a spot.
    Also as Heinze said himself, Fergie never thought a big club would come in for him. Says what he thinks about Liverpool.

Evra is among the best LBs in world football at the moment. He is perfectly suited to Utds style of play (people call it attacking, i like to call it reckless ;))

Heinze had injuries but the guy is class, always said the same, even when he was still a Utd player, before it came out that he wanted to play for Liverpool.

I think he would be very very suited to our style of play. He also provides good cover for CB and him Arbeloa and aurelio can fight it out for the left side of the defence and he is also in contention for with Carra/Agger/Hypia for the middle.

Dont think its a case of takin a Utd back up player tbh.

PHB wrote: »
    Do you mean Kuyt and Crouch or just one or the other? Otherwise I can't see how you'd get that much for them.

No i mean one or the other, probably Crouch.

15 million for Crouch.
    7 Million for Riise.
    8 million for Sissoko
    thatd be 30 million. i'm rounding it down a little.

I'm not saying i think this is wat will happen, just wat i'd like to happen ;)

Would love love love love love love love Anelka if we couldnt get berbatov or tbh, might even prefer him!

think Anelka and Torres or Torres and Berbatov would be the best top two in the PL

Dont think its a case of takin a Utd back up player tbh.
    Well, why not?

He wouldn't get into the Utd team ahead of Evra at LB or Vidic/Rio at CB, so he'd be back up.

OK, technically he's a Real back up player at the minute, he can't get in that team either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

No i mean one or the other, probably Crouch.

15 million for Crouch.
    7 Million for Riise.
    8 million for Sissoko.

I'd be really shocked if someone paid 15 for Crouch or 7 for Riise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I wouldn't let Heinze anywhere near the centre back position to be honest. He just doesn't have the physical presence and concentration to be relied upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

DSB wrote: »
    I'd be really shocked if someone paid 15 for Crouch or 7 for Riise.

Maybe he means EUR ?

DesF wrote: »
    Well, why not?

He wouldn't get into the Utd team ahead of Evra at LB or Vidic/Rio at CB, so he'd be back up.

OK, technically he's a Real back up player at the minute, he can't get in that team either.

ok carrick wouldnt get in the Liverpool team ahead of Masch,Gerrard,alonso or Lucas, that doesnt mean tat he is not good enough to play for a side that wins the title, just that we are very strong in that position. Likewise with Heinze. Its about building a team that is good enough to win the title. Heinze can be part of that team.

I'm not saying that Heinze would walk into the first team either, he wouldnt be first choice immediately at CB, agger would still be that, and he could fight it out with Arbeloa and Aurelio for LB

And Ferguson would be livid if he signed :)

• Advertisement

But Heinze wouldn't come to Liverpool unless Rafa assured him first team status. He used to be class, but unfortunately he's lost it. He's great defensively, especially in a team like Liverpool where his lack of pace wouldn't be too exposed as they are not a hugely open side.

Also I think you are being very very hopeful with your transfer values :) That said, Rafa seems to be talking like he has money.

He will feature a lot alright.....but not as much as the likes of Carra,Gerrard,Reina,Torres etc.

he would be more like Yossi, Mascherano, Kuyt etc.

Where, if he plays and impresses he will keep his place.

I dont think he would be in any position to demand first team football

Why would he swap being a squad player at Real Madrid for being a squad player at Liverpool?

Because he would have more of a chance to play at Liverpool and would get more game time.

Plus i'd imagine he is somewhat pissed off at Utd for not allowing his move to us in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why would he swap being a squad player at Real Madrid for being a squad player at Liverpool?

I seem to recall you saying the same thing when he was at United, shortly before he came out and said he desperately wanted to join Liverpool.

I did, which is why I was sure that Rafa had assured him first team football. I doubt Heinze is pissed off enough at United to leave Real Madrid after he seems to have earnt his spot and played the last 3 games, while they are top of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

lol, 8m for Sissoko, the delusion has maxxed itself out. Sure you might as well sell Hobbs for 20m and then go ahead and buy Benzema, Berbatov, Ronaldo and Fabregas for 5m and use the 15m profit to build a 1 billion cubit statue of Rafa.

Liverpool turned down an 11million plus bid for Sissoko in the summer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Liverpool turned down an 11million plus bid for Sissoko in the summer

Yes from Juventus

• Advertisement

I'm sure the decimal point was in the wrong place :) But seriously, he's done nothing but get drastically worse since the summer and is another 6 months along into the contract, you'd be lucky to get 3-4m, possibly 5m to a sucker club.

I did, which is why I was sure that Rafa had assured him first team football.

Nobody gets that assurance from Rafa though - even Torres accepted that he'd be part of a rotating squad.

Surely you arent that fickle? I have reduced his price severly due to his bad form.

And unfortuantely you are wrong on another count too, in the fact that he has since signed a new contract. Hence he now has longer on his contract than he had before the last bid came in.

sorry to disappoint.

astrofool wrote: »
    I'm sure the decimal point was in the wrong place :)
    rofl :D

Just means you're going to be stuck with him for longer :)

its alright....you can just admit your wrong ;)

• Advertisement

I'm rarely ever wrong, and it's you're, I've never owned a "wrong" before in my life. Point still stands, your valuations of Liverpool’s players are farfetched at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

you'd be lucky to get 3-4m, possibly 5m to a sucker club.

i'm sure newcastle will be along soon enough

I'm rarely ever wrong, and it's you're, I've never owned a "wrong" before in my life. Point still stands, your valuations of Liverpool’s players are farfetched at best.

i cant believe you just lowered yourself to pointing out an error with my sentence structure. well done.

you think they are far fetched at best, but the one you have chosen to talk about i have shown how you are wrong.

So maybe its you who undervalues Liverpools players

Well, look at it this way, if Sissoko was playing as he is for Arsenal/Manu/Chelsea, would Liverpool pay 8m to get him? That's more than you paid for Crouch, who had just had a great season at Southampton.

No, Liverpool wouldnt pay 8 million to get him.

But Juventus/Fiorentina among others would.

• Advertisement

No, Liverpool wouldnt pay 8 million to get him.

But Juventus/Fiorentina among others would.

Well then, even you're over valuing him, and are holding out hope for a sucker club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

astrofool wrote:
    Well then, even you're over valuing him, and are holding out hope for a sucker club.

Value is entirely relative based on the buyer's need. Liverpool wouldn't pay 8 million for him as we don't need to. Juventus on the other hand were willing to pay 11million as they obviously felt that a player with amazing stamina who is excellent at breaking down moves but has awful passing (as he did when they bid) had a place within their team and Was worth it.

It looks pretty clear that Rafa has been trying to get Momo to change his game a bit, he's been making far more forays with the ball at his feet then he ever did before. I personaly dont think it really works, but thats what Rafa wanted in his team. Inter and Juve were obviously only interested in his breaking down ability, which hasn't left his game. I presume they're happy to have him win the ball and leave ALL the passing and creativity to the other players.

7 for Riise though? You'd be lucky to get half that. Same with Crouch and 15 million.

Riise still has a few years left on his contract. i'd easily expect 7. look at players going for similar amounts who are not near as experienced or as good.

we bought crouch for wat?(around 8) since then he has become a record breaking international goalscorer and has gone from strenght to strenght with Liverpool. i would definately expect around that for him

They'll both probably end up leaving in this window. I suspect you'll be pretty disappointed in the price you get for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I reckon no-ones leaving during January, as much as I want some players out I can't see Rafa letting them go at the moment. I think we'll see some unknown CB brought in and that's about it. :(

unfortunately...i agree :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My valuations on those 3 would be -

Sissoko - 7/8 (based on the offer we received in the summer of 11m)

Crouch - 15 (England international, proven goalscorer in England & Europe. Last season for club & country he had 26 goals from 34(23) games. Hes scored 4 in Europe this season from 4(2) & was second top scorer last season in Europe on 7. This season he got 5 goals from 6(2) in the European qualifiers )

Riise - 4/5

I don't want us to sell Crouch though and dont think we will. Kuyt or Voronin, preferablely Voronin should be sold. They are too similar.

Riise still has a few years left on his contract.

I think he's only got a year or 18 months left. He signed a 2 year extension in Jan '06 to keep him at the club until '09. He was a summer signing on a 5 year deal originally so assuming the extension was exactly a 24 month extension that would mean he's only got 18 months left.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151234060123-1042.htm

Not a very long time and would certainly affect any valuation of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement