Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I missed the deadline for fantasy rafa on saturday, so i'll need a perfect score tomorrow:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Hyypia
    Agger
    Riise

Mascherano
    Sissoko

Benayoun
    Babel

Torres
    Crouch

Subs:
    Itandje
    Finnan
    Alonso
    Lucas
    Kuyt
    Voronin
    Pennant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

You can't treat a broken rib though. Time to heal is all that's required. Anyone hear how long he needs to be rested or if the rib(s) is broken?

thing is, if he gets another knock on it when its nearly healed, will it put him out again?

that could be very bad, need carra in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Too right we do, but he can afford to have him out for a while.

A wise old head like Hypia will be more than able to deputise. With also Arbeloa (who hass looked an excellent purchase since his arrival) and Gerrard also able to play there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

event wrote:
    thing is, if he gets another knock on it when its nearly healed, will it put him out again?

that could be very bad, need carra in the team

Depends how bad the break is really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

...and Gerrard also able to play there.

no

Wat ya mean . . . no . . . he can play there if we're stuck he should.

Wat ya mean . . . no . . . he can play there if we're stuck he should.
    When was the last time Gerrard played at centre half?

Not sure exaclty when, but he has done for us before definately. Not saying it'd be ideal, but if the worst came to the worst. Prefer that option to a panic buy who is not good enough to play at Liverpool.

Wouldn't have any problem playing Arbeloa there, he has looked assured since he joined us, just don't think its as bad a situation as people are making it out to be, have 3 people who can play there that are fit. Agger-class...Hypia-twilight of his career,but still more than able to do a job....Arbeloa-played there in Spain,yet to for us but been excellent since his arrival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I remember Gerrard playing RB on a couple of occasions early on, but not CB :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this could be annoying as we needed a defender anyway and the asking price from clubs might go up as they know we need one very soon :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Saw someones predictions for Toulouse line out, I don't think Torres will start, I'd like it, but I can see him banging in a few against Derby on Saturday. Bad news about Carra, wonder who we could possibly get as cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Richards. I know i'm dreaming, but he'd be instant cover for Finnan too, he'd get a lot of games. Of course there is no way in hell City will sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    When was the last time Gerrard played at centre half?
    Gerrard could do a job there, no doubt about it, but I don't think it will happen.

A team with Title aspirations should not be in the position of having to resort to playing players out of position.

I think Arbeloa should be given a game there, but surely Rafa has someone up his sleeve considering we needed backup regardless of recent injuries, this just confirms what everyone already knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

zabbo wrote:
    Gerrard could do a job there, no doubt about it, but I don't think it will happen.

A team with Title aspirations should not be in the position of having to resort to playing players out of position.

exactly what happened to chelsea last year, it is a bad idea.

Fcuk it. Broken rib and a collapsed lung. Going to be a few weeks before he's back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Call_me_al wrote:
    exactly what happened to chelsea last year, it is a bad idea.

Exactly. I don't see the point in spending a small fortune all summer on strikers, wide players etc, and leaving ourselves with next to no cover at the back. Look what happened with ManU last year when Neville, Vidic, Ferdinand, Silvestre and others were injured. They were down to the bare bones, but they still had decent cover there. We don't.

The talk of playing Arbeloa there seems off the mark to me. He can be very rash in some of his tackling as was evidenced again against Sunderland when a couple of times he gave away needless free kicks in bad areas. Playing in the middle, mistakes like that would be more harshly punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I feel Arbeloa can do a job for us until Carra gets back, it is lucky we have such non demanding games ahead of us. Portsmouth away being one of the harder ones, but I feel Sami can do a number on Kanu, but the pace of Utaka might be a tough call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't panik!

Reina
    Finnan--Arboloa-Agger-Riise
    Pennant-Masch-Alonso-Babel
    Crouch-Kuyt

That'll do with Momo, Voronin, Torres, Yossi, Leiva, Hobbs on the bench (maybe Kewell).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Cracked rib and not as serious as initially thought - hoping to be back in a just a couple of weeks which would be great to see but no way he'll be rushed back.

Paletta joining Boca sees Insua's move to Liverpool made permanent.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2007/08/27/rib-injury-to-keep-jamie-carragher-out-for-fortnight-100252-19693967/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thats excellent news about Insua. Could see him being first choice within a year or 2. Seems to be developing very quickly and has a calm head on his shoulders judging by how he played in preseason and the U20's world cup.

Read on other boards that we're being linked with Carlos Eduardo of Gremio. This for me would be a complete game changer - fantastic fantastic player. Some may remember me writing a bit of report after watching Gremio V Boca to see Lucas saying Eduardo stole the show along with Riquelme. Cant be arsed lookin for it now. Have looked at Gremio games since if they happen to be on while im on net to keep an eye on him and he's just class. Fast, direct, skillful, plays on either wing and scores goals. That the links aren't on any reputable sites makes me think its early doors yet, so maybe January or something if nothing happens this window. So far its just gossip columns.

Various links here;
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=53884
    http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/football_player.aspx?football_player=Carlos+Eduardo
    http://uk.messages.eurosport.yahoo.com/Football/Teams/threadview?m=tm&bn=UKS-FO-Liverpool&tid=60860&mid=60860&tof=8&off=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

the fact the broken rib caused a collapsed lung indicates a serious break. Dont expect him back within 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

That Eduardo story was in one of the rags over the weekend. Haven't seen him myself, but I remember your post in the old thread. I'll youtube him and see what comes up.

Vs Toulouse:

Reina

Finnan--Agger--Hyppia--Riise

Yossi--Masch---Alonso--Babel

Crouch---Kuyt

That's my best guess anyway. I would like to see Lucas or even Leto involved at some stage, but obviously the priority is to put the tie beyond Toulouse as quickly as possible.

I'd be inclined to agree with you ron. A broken rib is a slow healer.

That Eduardo story was in one of the rags over the weekend. Haven't seen him myself, but I remember your post in the old thread. I'll youtube him and see what comes up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjHE6939Gng&mode=related&search=
    heres one anyway, not to best as it focus's on goals rather then general play but still its something.

Zing's link has Carra saying he thinks he might only miss 2 games with the international break, which is a positive anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

~Rebel~ wrote:
    heres one anyway, not to best as it focus's on goals rather then general play but still its something.

Is he a winger or an attacking midfielder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

~Rebel~ wrote:

Dunno, he seems decent enough from that clip, but I think we have enough options as it is on the left, and he seems very left footed to play on the right. I know Messi does that, but I think as he gets older Messi will move in towards the middle and create utter mayhem.

seems decent alright from those clips, i'm starting to hate this whole ''youtube'' thing though, can make anyone look class in it.

the fact that Rebel says he seen him play a few times and he always impresses is a good sign though. Hopefully there is something in the talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone get the Mirror today? near the middle i think theres a pic of Mikey Graham (ex Boyzone) doing his best Rafa impression. HE had the lot, facial hair, receeding hairline and the suit. :)

EDIT. Found the paper. Appologies for the poor quality, had to take it with my fone.

PHB wrote:
    Is he a winger or an attacking midfielder?
    seems to be all of them. From what i saw he was given a free role a la Ronaldinho, but for the one big game i saw him in V Boca he was pretty much just right wing, this was also the only game Lucas played 90mins which i suppose filled the midfield meaning he had to play in a position rather then free. That was his most impressive too.

• Advertisement

interesting, definately sounds like rafas kind of player being able to play in various positions across the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Stekelly wrote:
    Anyone get the Mirror today? near the middle i think theres a pic of Mikey Graham (ex Boyzone) doing his best Rafa impression. HE had the lot, facial hair, receeding hairline and the suit. :)

EDIT. Found the paper. Appologies for the poor quality, had to take it with my fone.

LOL good find. :D

Well, the single weirdest transfer i've ever been aware of has just taken place.

Carlos Eduardo has transfered. To TSG Hoffenheim. A team who were just promoted to the German Second Division. For around 4.7million pounds.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/27/sports/LA-SPT-SOC-Gremio-Carlos-Eduardo.php

Now, im absolutely baffled, I cant make head nor tail of this. That team is a bit of a german Fulham, they're bankrolled by a rich local come good and steadily getting promoted through the leagues. But for one of the hot properties of world football, valued around the 12mill pound mark, someone that Liverpool, Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Man U have all been interested in to transfer there for that little money just makes no sense whatsoever to me. For that kind of money surely Rafa, or any of the above clubs would have matched it.

<EDIT>
    Been looking around the net, since so confused and found this http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=2492 which suggests a large European club may be acting through German team. Still hardly a reliable source though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Well, the single weirdest transfer i've ever been aware of has just taken place.

Carlos Eduardo has transfered. To TSG Hoffenheim. A team who were just promoted to the German Second Division. For around 4.7million pounds.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/27/sports/LA-SPT-SOC-Gremio-Carlos-Eduardo.php

Now, im absolutely baffled, I cant make head nor tail of this. That team is a bit of a german Fulham, they're bankrolled by a rich local come good and steadily getting promoted through the leagues. But for one of the hot properties of world football, valued around the 12mill pound mark, someone that Liverpool, Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Man U have all been interested in to transfer there for that little money just makes no sense whatsoever to me. For that kind of money surely Rafa, or any of the above clubs would have matched it.

<EDIT>
    Been looking around the net, since so confused and found this http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=2492 which suggests a large European club may be acting through German team. Still hardly a reliable source though..
    definately something fishy going on, could it be chelsea ala the Alex transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, sounds to me like letting somebody aclimatise

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, sounds to me like letting somebody aclimatise

acclimatise, is that a euphemism for work permit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

But Belgium / Holland / Poland is traditionally where someone would be able to get a work permit / EU nationality.

Very strange transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I hear Liverpool are playing Z-Cars before tonights game in memory of Rhys Jones.

Got to say a big WELL DONE to Liverpool for this. Shows that football isn't really that important when something like this happens.

Again Well Done to all at Liverpool F.C.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

ciaran76 wrote:
    I hear Liverpool are playing Z-Cars before tonights game in memory of Rhys Jones.

Got to say a big WELL DONE to Liverpool for this. Shows that football isn't really that important when something like this happens.

Again Well Done to all at Liverpool F.C.

taken from lfc.tv
    The Z-Cars theme tune 'Johnny Todd' - the song which traditionally greets the arrival of the Everton team onto the Goodison Park pitch - will be played prior to 'You'll Never Walk Alone' ahead of this evening's 8.05pm kick-off.

Following a suggestion from Liverpool Echo feature writer Tony Barrett to mark the youngster's tragic death in such an unprecedented way, the newspaper was inundated with requests for the unique tribute to be staged.

Anfield chief executive Rick Parry spoke with Rhys's family who agreed they would be delighted if the Reds paid tribute to their son's memory in such a fitting way.

After the two songs there will then be a minute's applause and the Liverpool players will show their respect by wearing black armbands during the game.

Rhys's parents Stephen and Melanie will also be at Anfield for the game.

The youngster's uncle Neil Jones admits the family have been overwhelmed by such a show of support from the Blues' city rivals.

He said: "When I told them about the proposed tribute at Anfield, Melanie said playing Johnny Todd at Anfield would be a unique event, a complete one-off, just like Rhys, and a fitting tribute to him as it was his favourite tune.

"She's also pretty sure he'll have a little mischievous grin on his face at the thought of being the cause of it."

• Advertisement

nice gesture :)

on another note marca are reporting a 20m bid by us for......................

Julio Baptista :eek:

why?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cyrus wrote:
    nice gesture :)

on another note marca are reporting a 20m bid by us for......................

Julio Baptista :eek:

why?
    It is still silly season after all.

I am getting loads of PMs and emails from people about our trips,I will post this here encase I did not get back to anyone.An update on our Derby trip and future trips IrishKop will be running.

Both these Derby trips are now full,we have 53 going on the overnight deal and about another 20 on the day trip with a stand by list for both trips.We are providing the vast majority with there tickets.These are the trips we have in the pipline...

Oct 7th - spurs
    nov 10th Fulham
    Dec 15 Man u
    Jan 19th Villa

Feb UEFA midweek trip

From there we will see,I must add that some of these games will not be as handy to get tickets for.If this is the case will will be giving first refusals to current active IrishKop members.

Another event you may be interested in,we are bringing Ronnie Whelan & Jason McAteer over for a Q & A session and a night on the beer On 27th Sept Thurs eve Price €20 each.The Tram St James Street Dublin 8.This is a ticket only event with a limited amount of tickets you will not be allowed to buy at the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What station is tonights game on ? Don't say Setanta

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

rte and utv have it.

zabbo wrote:
    What station is tonights game on ? Don't say Setanta

RTE have it.

• Advertisement

Great gesture from the club by playing Z Cars, as was said, some things are just more important than football. His uncle posts on RAOTL and has been keeping us updated as to what sort of tribute was gonna be paid. Fair play to Parry, for all the stick he gets (incl. from me), he called the family personally and asked wat tribute THEY wanted. Beautiful gesture.

As for Baptista, can't see it happening. No need for him, i'd imagine if he came in we'd be getting rid of Crouch, wouldn't expect Crouch to leave for anything less than 15 million with the way the market is at the minute.

Looks like we're still stuck with Le Tallec.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=54233

(and yes I know its TF but maybe is true cos nothing seems to have been happening for a while now).

Mike.

Any news about starting line up yet? :)

Any news about starting line up yet? :)

Nothin yet, id say it'll be the usual, no word till half hour before kick off.

I think the line up is announced about an hour before KO in euro matches.

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement