Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

zing wrote: »
    I think he's only got a year or 18 months left. He signed a 2 year extension in Jan '06 to keep him at the club until '09. He was a summer signing on a 5 year deal originally so assuming the extension was exactly a 24 month extension that would mean he's only got 18 months left.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151234060123-1042.htm

Not a very long time and would certainly affect any valuation of him.

If thats the case, i apologise

****why did it take me 5 mintues to login, yet i can write this podt prefectaly?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Sounds like Masch is getting frustrated about the ongoing saga surrounding him future. Can't blame him really..
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/01/01/javier-mascherano-anfield-is-home-allow-me-to-stay-at-liverpool-100252-20301113/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Anyone heard about us being linked with a move for Goran Pandev? Never really heard of him so I don't know what to think.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3011913,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I would liike our next forward to have some experience of doing it in the Premiership ala an Anelka or Defoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Shamrok wrote: »
    I would liike our next forward to have some experience of doing it in the Premiership ala an Anelka or Defoe.

Not Dafoe! We need someone that is a class above Crouch/Kuyt/Voronin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anelka is the blindingly obvious choice for any of the top teams that are in need of a striker. I cant see any reason for him still to be left at Blton come the end of Jan. Especially with us looking for a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Stekelly wrote: »
    Anelka is the blindingly obvious choice for any of the top teams that are in need of a striker. I cant see any reason for him still to be left at Blton come the end of Jan.

I'd agree but most of the papers today suggest he's off to Chelsea for around 10m. Would be a bargin at that price if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Goran Pandev? Never heard of him. Scoring at 1 in 2.5 games. Lazio are doing crap these days and they could proberly get a decent sum for him.

Mike.

Tusky wrote: »
    Not Dafoe! We need someone that is a class above Crouch/Kuyt/Voronin.
    Imo we need someone with pace who happy working the box. I would not mind Defoe coming in. I would class him higher than Kuyt and Voronin and I don't want to see Crouch leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

mike65 wrote: »
    Goran Pandev? Never heard of him. Scoring at 1 in 2.5 games. Lazio are doing crap these days and they could proberly get a decent sum for him.
    He's pretty much Macedonia's numro unro player. Usually plays as a support striker rather than a lead the line type.

If so then that goal ratio is exellent. Except Liverpool are not buying strikers this January unless its all been a big bluff.

Mike.

Well the article I posted said it's likely he'll move in the summer. If it's true it gives us time to sort out where to offload our other excess strikers.

Oh fair enough, still any number of names will be linked in the run up to the summer window. Real pity Rafa did'nt look down the road to Bolton in June 2006.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yeah that diouf guy is looking good alright.

I was thinking about Kevin Nolan ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement

He would certainly be better than Momo as a 4/5th midfielder and would chip in with the goals too.

The top 3 all won and if Pool don't tomorrow than even the most optimistically inclined might conceed its all over for this year.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

mike65 wrote: »
    The top 3 all won and if Pool don't tomorrow than even the most optimistically inclined might conceed its all over for this year.

Mike.

I am not a Liverpool supporter, and I am sort of trespassing on your thread, but, if Liverpool cannot beat Wigan, it deserves to be all over! It will be a very comfortable Liverpool win.

Heskey will be back so sods law law will be invoked!

Mike.

Anyone know this fella? Juan Fernando Arango Sáenz???? From Mallorca....supposedly gonna be done for 8 million euro.

• Advertisement

Another midfielder ? Would have hoped Rafa was over that by now..

in fairness he is an attacking midfielder/play of the striker kinda player, far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Arango
    He has become a key player for his team, being a regular starter and possesses great vision and eye for goal. Arango started his career as an out and out striker but since moving to Mallorca has enjoyed better performances playing just off the front strikers in a role similarly played out by South American compatriots Kaká and Messi.

It is the belief of many that Arango will play for a bigger team in the near future as his career has blossomed from promising to star player. He is widely regarded as the best player Venezuela has ever produced. He is now his country's all time leading scorer.

sounds interesting alright.

He is now his country's all time leading scorer.

on 13 goals..!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Where did you see that about Arango?

Cracking player

Rafa rang me last night to wish me a happy new years and mentioned it :)

I dunno...hes 27 and is hardly the class of player we are looking for.

most people who've seen much of him seem to rate him extremely highly...could be a smart move from Rafa

I dunno...hes 27 and is hardly the class of player we are looking for.

Luis was 26 when we signed him, i think him and Arango are similar but maybe thats just me. To be honest, as frustrating as he was to watch, if we had Luis this season i think we would have a lot more points on the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

come off it, Garcia was an inconsistent player who dleivered every now and again (in important matches!)

• Advertisement

come off it, Garcia was an inconsistent player who dleivered every now and again (in important matches!)

All season long we have been crying out for someone to pick out a pass or a bit of magic, we've relied on Yossi for it. Garcia would always do at least one brilliant thing in a match(normally ignored because he gave the ball away 20+ times in the same game). He was our most creative player bar Alonso and would still be if he was at Anfield.

i agree we miss Garcia, we have lacked someone with that bit of magic to change a game, break down a team when we need to....a la portsmouth,birmingham,utd,city,

Thats the thing though, I think we need a higher quality player than Little Luis. He was great for us and I loved watching him. I understood his critics but I wasnt one of them. His moments of magic were worth his annoying habits.

However, I now feel that we need someone who can do that kind of thing consistently. You have to ask yourself how this guy at 27 isnt playing for a bigger club or how he isnt all that well known...also, he doesn't seem to be a striker or a winger, the two attacking positions we need to improve upon.

His best position as far as i know is playing off a striker.....ie-him and torres

Mr Alan wrote: »
    His best position as far as i know is playing off a striker.....ie-him and torres

He has 5 goals & 1 assist from 18 games this season. Last season he had 9 goals & assists from 38 games, season before it was 11 goals from 37 games...Hardly impressive for a striker, even if he is a support striker.

i cant comment . . . . i've never really seen him play

He has 5 goals & 1 assist from 18 games this season. Last season he had 9 goals & assists from 38 games, season before it was 11 goals from 37 games...Hardly impressive for a striker, even if he is a support striker.

So worse than out current support striker (kuyt) that everyone keeps ggiving out about and wants rid of? No thanks.

Plus I doubt he'll do the running Kuyt does.

Well yeah. I dont like judging players before Ive seen them but that record is hardly impressive for a 27 year old.

That guy may or may not be a decent player but I just can't see us signing a 27 yo midfielder/second striker during this window. I doubt if we'll be very active in the market in Jan - probably a CB, Mascher and maybe a couple of young/fringe players. It's typically rare to find quality players on the move in Jan.

If however Inter or Juve come in with a serious bid for Momo ...

• Advertisement

I don't even think we'll sign Masch in the Jan window, I seem to remember Rafa saying the deal would be sorted in the summer and there was no rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't even think we'll sign Masch in the Jan window, I seem to remember Rafa saying the deal would be sorted in the summer and there was no rush.

I think if we wait till the summer we could find ourselves losing him. Masch himself has come out saying he wants liverpool to make a decision on his future soon, which is fair enough.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3014369,00.html
    "I want to stay but it doesn't depend on me and it will be difficult because of the amount of time that has passed and I need to do something about my future."

Is he going to wait till the summer with no guarantee's on his future, hoping we decide to pull the finger out and sign him, or is he going to give us a limited time and then sign a precontract with someone else who obviously wants him more, which would negate the whole first refusal thing, as if we did come in for him he would just turn it down for being too late.

The deal needs to be agreed now but presumably no significant amount of money would need to change hands until after his loan/lease/hire purchase/whatever weird way he's signed deal has run it's course and he puts pen to paper on a permanent contract. The comments from him today show he cleary wants to stay at the club and needs to have his future resolved sooner rather than later. He might be willing to wait until the summer but I doubt if yerman Kia will be

I can see another Gerrard esque mess developing here - player wants to stay but Parry/club twiddle their thumbs for ages with the player then getting pissed off and starting to think their future lies elsewhere.

Im sure Rafa knows if the club are going to buy him for sure. If the money isnt available until the summer they will probably do up some sort of pre-contract to keep him happy but not formally sign him until the summer. I hope so anyway...

I do not see Masch leaving, as has been said, even if we do not pay for him, we will still make sure we have something signed. Would be a massive loss for him to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think people are not really looking at why transfer prices go up and down. When was the last time United/Chelsea/Liverpool got real decent money for any of their players who didn't make it? The reason is because they are clearly the selling club, the player wants to leave, and the club wants to buy someone better. People are looking at what spending clubs did this summer and generalising from that, but that's because they were all desperate for players in order to avoid relegation. Those teams won't be able to attract players of Crouch's quality. He will be looking at teams like Spurs, Everton, City etc. Those teams aren't gona offer 15 million for Crouch, as they can attract someone of equal or better quality elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

am i going mad or did i post something here and someone deleted it? explanation please

kryogen wrote: »
    am i going mad or did i post something here and someone deleted it? explanation please

Maybe it was such utter crap that it deleted itself rather than face the sham eof beign entered into the public domain? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lol it was a link to the actim prem stats so far this season, i really would like one of the mods to explain why they have censored a post

Is that match on tv anywhere tonight?

The match is not shown on any of the normal channels. However, there are a few streams:

STAR SPORTS - PPMate - Sopcast - TVU - UUSee
    TRUESPORT 1 - Sopcast - TVAnts
    HULL2012 - Internet Explorer
    SUPERSPORT - WMP * User: saturday3pm Pass: soccer *

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement