Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Even Tony Warner put in a MOM performance a while back for Fulham against us. It always seems to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Pennant is look very sharp, could be the missing piece?

are you having a laugh?he is playing ****e,will be subbed straight away me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

tibor wrote: »
    You watching the same game?
    I've lost count of the amount of times Carra had to resort to a backpass or a hoof cos the midfielders weren't interested in showing for the ball and he was being pressured.
    I is.
    Carra's being hoofin' the ball for years, nothin new there.
    Can you see the actim stats there on ustream, 40% of the play in the Wigan half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

tibor wrote: »
    You watching the same game?
    I've lost count of the amount of times Carra had to resort to a backpass or a hoof cos the midfielders weren't interested in showing for the ball and he was being pressured.

eh they are being squashed together by a compact unit....it's not that easy when there's 10 men behind the ball..

I hate to say it but with two wingers on (that always drift inside instead of hugging the touch line :( ) we should really have crouch in the box with Torres.... I'd take Kewell off, has he even got a cross in? I think Benayoun will replace him (hopefully)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I presume Pennant will be off. He cant be fully match fit. Id like to see Mascherano or Alonso off and Crouch on as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

1-0 torres. Lovely move!

Class goal, Finnan, Stevie G, Finnan, Torres, goal!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

mada999 wrote: »
    eh they are being squashed together by a compact unit....it's not that easy when there's 10 men behind the ball..

I hate to say it but with two wingers on (that always drift inside instead of hugging the touch line :( ) we should really have crouch in the box with Torres.... I'd take Kewell off, has he even got a cross in? I think Benayoun will replace him (hopefully)...

It should be easy for midfielders to drop a few yards and give an option for an out-ball for Carra instead of standing behind their markers and looking disinterested.

I posted right after Carra had stood for close to 5/6 seconds looking for someone to show for it, and ended up having to turn right around and pass back to Pepe when Heskey started to close. The same thing had happened at least 4/5 times in the previous 10/15 mins. It shouldn't happen. It has nothing to do with them having 10 men behind the ball, and everything with our midfielders not being switched on to the game.

As I said in another post, Torres/Gerrard and linking well when they're bothered, but that's what it's all about really. They just didn't look like the give a **** in the 1st half

.....aaaand cue Torres goal.

Nice team-talk Rafa. :}

1-1
    Fúckin useless, why does it always happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

coq.

We really need to get this win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Because we can't put teams away a lot of the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

tit**** bumble FFS!! why can't we put teams of wigans standard away?

aGGHHH what a chance!

uugghh, where's that bottle of gaviscon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

if you fail to win here against wigan will you finally concede that your not yet at the standard to challenge for the league? games in hand count for nothing if you dont take points

to be fair from what ive seen of the game wigan deserve a point for their discipline and hard work

I'll say it now, if we dont win tonight the league is over. And i know ive bitched and moaned at people who have said it over the last few weeks but this is definitely it. Rafa knows it too i think, he's brought off Pennant and Masch for Kuyt and Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

kryogen wrote: »
    if you fail to win here against wigan will you finally concede that your not yet at the standard to challenge for the league? games in hand count for nothing if you dont take points

I think the challenge was realistically conceeded when we were done 3-1 by reading then lost to united.

Finished 1-1
    Title gone yet again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

wigan had never before taken a point off one of the big four....

oh dear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i know and i agree but, lots of pool fans and fair play to them have kept saying that ye not out of it..... i just cant see how you gonna mount a serious challenge when you seem to have serious trouble putting teams like this away consistently..... 12 points behind arsenal now, city have gone back ahead.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

well its nearly over, and your right it was already over. the signs were there. last minute v reading. last minute v villa, reading, united, birmingham etc... all terrible performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Bah, useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Liverpool will struggle to get fourth at this rate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

if anyone thought we had a chance at the title thats now gone.,****ing disgracefull performance,wake up hicks and gillete more money is needed!

christ thats a disaster. If only we could keep clean sheets like we always used to. Losing first Agger and then Hypia as well really have been a hammerblow to this years title push.

In all fairness though lads, lets not get carried away, we'd have all been delighted had we managed to keep a clean sheet today. The world hasn't ended. We won't win the league, but struggle to get fourth is a bit of a push.

We dont need anymore money, we need to stop easing up after we score the first goal and get in the lead. Its getting ridiculous. The squad we have should easily be challenging for the title.

And you cant blame injuries either, if we had pushed on and got the second then brambles goal wouldnt have mattered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hate too say, but i wouldnt be too upset if Rafa left in the summer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

big problems

Hate too say, but i wouldnt be too upset if Rafa left in the summer.

i still would be very annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Im getting so sick and tired of this!!always liverpool making the same mistakes!!we did it vs derby as well!!harry kewell should get his coat!!hes not good enough anymore!!Playing masch and alonso??why is that needed vs wigan ill never know!!!

I dont ever see them winning the league with rafas tactics im sorry to say!!Every year its the same!!Plus they cost me €100 in my accumalator bet to top it off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well like I said a few pages back, no win tonight means its definitly all over, and it is.

Rafa will now re-balance his priorities (which is dangerous as City, Everton and Pompey are a genuine threat to 4th place) and the Champions League will be the focus. This now means we will proberly end up hoping Inter win so 4th place can be won. :(

I just went over to RAWK and its not loading quickly - this always happens after a bad result!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As I said in the other thread, I watched the game online and I just can't believe the pool didn't win, they were all over Wigan.

IMO Rafa is a great manager in the Champions League probably the best in the Europe for the Last 3 years but he doesn't get the premier league and I honestly believe Liverpool have a squad to challenge the top 2 but I don't think Rafa ever will, just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Villain wrote: »
    As I said in the other thread, I watched the game online and I just can't believe the pool didn't win, they were all over Wigan.

Up to the goal, Wigan were comfortable. Then there was ten minutes after the goal where Pool really went at them but then it faded and they allowed Wigan back in.

This term of "dominating" games has been said about Liverpool when they fail to win. An away team allowing you to have the ball doesnt mean you dominate the game.

I dont believe their squad is good enough. Torres was the focal point of everything tonight take him out and the squad doesnt look so good.

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Im getting so sick and tired of this!!always liverpool making the same mistakes!!we did it vs derby as well!!harry kewell should get his coat!!hes not good enough anymore!!Playing masch and alonso??why is that needed vs wigan ill never know!!!

I dont ever see them winning the league with rafas tactics im sorry to say!!Every year its the same!!Plus they cost me €100 in my accumalator bet to top it off!!

Of all the things to blame, the 11 selected aren't one of them. In all fairness that 11 should have been more then capable of beating Wigan and some of the blame has to be left at the players feet. I hate all this blame 'Rafa for everything' lark. He makes his mistakes, but not every single thing that goes wrong is his fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

That's a dreadful result. Especially with Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal all winning there really was no room for dropping points.

Gerrard came so close to saving the day again but even him can't keep doing it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am gutted.....one god thing to come out of this season is at least we were not out of the title race before Xmas we are out of it from Jan 2.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

good lord what was that muck tonight??????

I havent posted here in a while but have been reading the thread and thought i would add my 2cents.

tonight pretty much hammered home the last nail in the coffin of the title challenge and it aint even the 2nd of January :(
    Raffa messed about again with formation never mind selection.
    Fair enough change a player or 2 but not the blody formation of the team!
    He has paid the price once again for not showin respect to weaker team and dropped another shockin 2 points at home. Yes it took a wonder shot but it was no more than Wigan deserved.
    Playing not 1 but 2 holdin midfield players at home come off it were not bloody newcastle.

Whats very much showin by tonights and the 3 games offer xmass is that we have become completly dependent on 3 players Torres, Gerrard, Carragher.
    With out either of those 3 we struggle badly.
    The rest of the team just hasnt stepped up to the task which includes Raffa.

Hate to say it but that Bramble goal might well cost the man his job come the end of the season. Shame but he just hasnt learned his lesson

squad isnt good enough...our wingers are rubbish and they don't even beat full backs..

What's Rafa at putting Gerrard just behind the lone striker...it never works.. 2 strikers should always be on the pitch (up front) at home....

Rafa : please sell Kuyt, Pennant, Riise, Kewell, Crouch, Voronin, Sissoko they are not good enough for LFC.... and buy two decent wingers..... agggghhh

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Of all the things to blame, the 11 selected aren't one of them. In all fairness that 11 should have been more then capable of beating Wigan and some of the blame has to be left at the players feet. I hate all this blame 'Rafa for everything' lark. He makes his mistakes, but not every single thing that goes wrong is his fault.

Dont get me wrong!!i dont blame rafa for everything but I do think his tactics and player selections are dubious at times plus with the added factor of numourous players under performing is the reason we didnt get the result!!

We also need quality wingers who actually deliver good crosses!!man utd have ronaldo and evra!chelsea have cole,wright phillips..even wayne bridge!!Arsenal have flamini,sagna!!We have pennant and kewell!!The both lack the quality to be in a title challenging side!!

Plus for god sake give crouch a run in the team!!!!!!!!!!Kuyt is awful at the mo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Up to the goal, Wigan were comfortable. Then there was ten minutes after the goal where Pool really went at them but then it faded and they allowed Wigan back in.

This term of "dominating" games has been said about Liverpool when they fail to win. An away team allowing you to have the ball doesnt mean you dominate the game.

I dont believe their squad is good enough. Torres was the focal point of everything tonight take him out and the squad doesnt look so good.

Shots on Target 11-1 to the pool, they had enough chances to score at least 4 or 5 as where Wigan had 1

• Advertisement

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong!!i dont blame rafa for everything but I do think his tactics and player selections are dubious at times plus with the added factor of numourous players under performing is the reason we didnt get the result!!

We also need quality wingers who actually deliver good crosses!!man utd have ronaldo and evra!chelsea have cole,wright phillips..even wayne bridge!!Arsenal have flamini,sagna!!We have pennant and kewell!!The both lack the quality to be in a title challenging side!!

Plus for god sake give crouch a run in the team!!!!!!!!!!Kuyt is awful at the mo!

Evra a winger? Wayne Bridge a winger? Flamini a winger? Sagna a winger?

Sell Sissoko, buy Anelka. Sell Riise buy Stephen Hunt! (hey he can dribble and cross) Sell Kuyt and Carson buy Masch.

Mike.

Melion wrote: »
    Evra a winger? Wayne Bridge a winger? Flamini a winger? Sagna a winger?

There not wingers but the get forward and provide great crosses!!

mike65 wrote: »
    Sell Sissoko, buy Anelka. Sell Riise buy Stephen Hunt! (hey he can dribble and cross) Sell Kuyt and Carson buy Masch.

Mike.

yes buy Anelka....don't agree with Stephen Hunt...he's not good enough..
    We need to hold on to Masch also..

Some of yee seem baffled by the 2 holding midfielders. To be honest the 11 and the formation make sense when you take into account that we had Arbeloa at CB. He looked very dodgey whenever City did get forward the last day, and was very much the weak point of the team. It makes sense to provide extra cover for this. Unfortunately 2 Holding midfielders Wasn't enough to keep us a clean sheet.

Villain wrote: »
    Shots on Target 11-1 to the pool, they had enough chances to score at least 4 or 5 as where Wigan had 1

Read my post, at no point did I say Wigan had more chances, they palyed for a draw and Liverpool with their eleven chances on target couldnt convert them. Id expect the home team in any game to have 11 shots on target, especially when its title chaser vs relegation candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Jaysus, you're as fickle as Newcastle fans. Results like tonight happen, but you were never going to win the league with the squad you have, and Rafa rotating and changing formation as much as he does. Even Manu, Arsenal and Chelsea (this season) have these type of results now and again, Liverpool's problem, as ever, is consistency.

Of course you'll have a few blinkered fans come in, claim Rafa is still a genius, and that you can win away against the other three and win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Some of yee seem baffled by the 2 holding midfielders. To be honest the 11 and the formation make sense when you take into account that we had Arbeloa at CB. He looked very dodgey whenever City did get forward the last day, and was very much the weak point of the team. It makes sense to provide extra cover for this. Unfortunately 2 Holding midfielders Wasn't enough to keep us a clean sheet.

No sorry yea dont play 2 holding midfield players at home especialy against Wigan!!!!!!! there was no need for the 2 away at City and we dominated that game.

We have dropped nearly two 3rds of our home points to the weaker teams by not bloody putting them to the sword not good enough.

mada999 wrote: »
    yes buy Anelka....don't agree with Stephen Hunt...he's not good enough..
    We need to hold on to Masch also..

I mention Hunt as he's buyable (ie Reading would sell) and for a price Liverpools can afford (by selling Riise who Koeman is interested in).

Mike.

I like Hunt but hes not good enough for a title chasing team imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement