Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    For another small indicator of Tusky's last post (which i largely agree with,

Largely ? LARGELY ? What is this Largely ? I know all, my opinions are final. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Some of those results Tusky are very misleading though. As in the score flatters the performance.

But still, overall barring recent results, Liverpool have been improving. Especially considering we've had some key players out injured, main one being Agger. Without him we usually have Carra or Sami hoofing the ball up the pitch which bypasses our midfield and leads to alot of our attacks culminating in nothing. When he's back to full health we'll finally see some play building from the back and our midfield start to use the ball. After all we may have one of the best strikers in the world but if all he receives are long hopeful punts towards him, we're not gonna see the best of him or the team as a whole.

I do think Rafa is the man to bring the title back to LFC but to expect him to do it so soon is a bit ridiculous. He's only been at the club for 3 and a half seasons; how long did it take Wenger and Fergie to win a title?(I'm discounting Mourinho cos I felt Raineiri would have won the PL if he had that team)

We're still being moulded as a team by Rafa. And it's this time of transition that is annoying LFC fans the most and the reason why we are so tetchy when other fans goad us about our team underperforming, after all we've been suffering through 18 years of mediocrity, apart from some achievements (FA Cup, CL, the lesser treble) we've watched our team fall in stature to other clubs. Whereas Utd and Arsenal have had their transitional periods and are now in full flow, Liverpool are still a bit behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tusky wrote: »
    Largely ? LARGELY ? What is this Largely ? I know all, my opinions are final. :p

;)

Some of those results Tusky are very misleading though. As in the score flatters the performance.

Possibly, but the point still stands. There have been games that we have won 1-0 but deserved to win by 3 or 4. There have also been games we won 4-0 were 2-0 may have been a fairer result. My point is the team is generally, not sitting on 1-0 or 2-0 leads as it may have done in the recent past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

kryogen wrote: »
    if you are telking about rafas apparent 5 year plan should he not have used up 3 of his years now including this one? so maybe it should be do you think liverpool will win the league in the next 2 seasons?

While I was always incredibly sceptical about our chances this season, the signing of 3 quality players in the next 7 to 8 months should mean that we are genuine contenders for it. I don't think even Arsenal, United or Chelsea supporters would makes claims beyond that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed, but what would those players cost? 20-30 million each? Torres at 20 million is an absolute steal. With very few selling of players, and the addition of two wingers, a striker and CB and LB cover. Gona be expensive, and somewhat unlikely to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

What is the consensus among Liverpool fans - do you think he will be given money to spend in this transfer window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

kida wrote: »
    What is the consensus among Liverpool fans - do you think he will be given money to spend in this transfer window?

This window ? Regardless of whether or not he gets the money I hope he doesn't try and spend big - the quality of player typically doesn't become available in Jan. Unless you're looking at up & coming players like Agger & Arbeloa in which case they don't cost much anyway. A CB in Jan and the Masch deal between now and summer is realistic.

Do Liverpool really need Mascherano? Wouldn't that 20 million be better spent on a winger or a striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Yes we do, Alonso and Lucas are more creative than combatant as holding players, Gerrard is wasted sitting deep, which leaves just Sissoko as our sole midflield battler unless we hold onto Mascherano.

• Advertisement

I'm sure that's true, there's nod denying that Mascherano adds to the squad, but wouldn't Villa add much more?

PHB wrote: »
    I'm sure that's true, there's nod denying that Mascherano adds to the squad, but wouldn't Villa add much more?

Who's to say the money won't be there for Masch & Villa or Masch, Villa, Messi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, etc.. It's all useless speculation. Given the choice between Masch & Momo - we need Masch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But if gerrard is to play in the centre - a player of Mascherano's style and quality are needed more then a striker. Mascherano allows Gerrard to play the game gerrard knows how to play - bombing forward. I don't know if Gerrard playing central with Alonso, or Lucas, would give a satidfactory balance to the team sheet. Gerrard bombs forward so much and leaves space behind he needs someone covering in behind his runs, and that is exactly what Mascherano can do very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I think that is one of the problems. Nobody really know what Rafa is working towards. Does he want something like this

---Masch--Alonso---
    Gerrard
    RW
    LW
    Torres

or

RW---Masch/Alonso/??--Gerrard--LW
    Torres----Forward----

Or does he want a team capable of constantly changing between both depending on the opposition.

EDIT:I used RW and LW as there are too many players to write in, plus the most people seem to agree new ones are needed apart from Babel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It will depend on the opposition I would imagine.
    I think he sees Lucas playing a big part too.

It is all about "possibilities" as the man himself says.

Love it or hate it, it's his way of doing things and he is not going to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kida wrote: »

I reckon it'll be 70/30, he have to raise 70% through sales and get a say 5-7 million of new money.

But thats mere speculation, like most of the posts at the moment.

Still, the fact we still don't know what Rafa wants or intends from his selections and formations is pretty daming - no-one ever wondered about Fergies intentions.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As long as the players themselves know what he intends of them when he selects them then I don't give a damn.

Hate to wheel out old anecdotes.. but the one from Valencia when Ranieri joined and asked the puzzled defenders to play just like Rafa had them play only to be told Rafa had different defensive methods depending on the opposition, springs to mind..

I think that is one of the problems. Nobody really know what Rafa is working towards. Does he want something like this

---Masch--Alonso---
    Gerrard
    RW
    LW
    Torres

or

Torres----Forward----

Or does he want a team capable of constantly changing between both depending on the opposition.

EDIT:I used RW and LW as there are too many players to write in, plus the most people seem to agree new ones are needed apart from Babel.

I think you have it there, in that Rafa wants to be able to do all formations in theory. He definately wants 4 midfielders. Momo is as good as out with the way he's been talking so if we lose Masch then he has to be replaced. Which would cost probably a minimum of 5mill making his 17mill saved more like 10 to 12, which is still a nice chunk of money, but not worth losing out on a player of his caliber. Especially when you consider he'll probably keep his value given that he's already shown he Can hack it in the premiership, but if we sell later it will be on our terms, whereas now if we don't buy, he could end up at a major rival, which again brings the value of letting him go into question.

PHB I dont think we'll end up going for established superstars in the Messi, Deco, Totti area, more likely up and comers like Benzema (who would still cost the best part of 20mill), though i would like a cheeky bid for Ronaldinho. Prob not a hope of getting him for less then 30mill, but might be worth a pop with the spanish and south american contingent we already have.

What was great recent news is that new boy Gerardo Bruno (pilfered from Real, one of their alleged answers to Messi) has joined up and is already in full training with the first team. I could see his breakthrough being sooner rather then later.

Do Liverpool really need Mascherano? Wouldn't that 20 million be better spent on a winger or a striker?

Ideally, I would like to keep Mascherano at the club.

Saying that, if there is relatively limited funds available, I think it would make more sense to spend it on a striker or winger. Sometimes you have to prioritise and while Mascherano is a classy player, we are considerably stronger in the centre of midfield than we are up front or on the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Unearthly wrote: »
    waaah waaah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Jesus lads grow up. So many times people moan at opposition fans posting in other teams topics because they post a view that upsets them. Deal with it

If you think people post rubbish, then either block them, or reply to their posts pointing out why their posts are rubbish.

while it may not be rubbish, it is the same damn arguments (discussions which ever you prefer) over and over and over again. Example: Everytime someone tells me Rafa has spent poorly I disagree and I have seen the numbers at least 5 times (which i dont think are ever that consistent) in this thread and i still disagree thats suddenly not gonna change on the 6th time. And it is very difficult when someone gets facts and tries to surround it with horrible logic, imo, which is done a lot.

Also the gall of some people in here with talk like "i thought it was agreed Rio is the best defender in England" (or something as cocky), imagine how much sh*t i would get going into the united thread saying "well i am sure no one is stupid enough not to agree the Reina is the best keeper in the league, well the numbers prove it so if you don't agree then you're obviously delusional about how good united are"

Why dont we have a thread "Condescending United Fans Tell You Why Your Team Hasn't Won The League".

And finally wtf is United fans obsession with Liverpool?

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What was great recent news is that new boy Gerardo Bruno (pilfered from Real, one of their alleged answers to Messi) has joined up and is already in full training with the first team. I could see his breakthrough being sooner rather then later.

I have been wondering why all these young players are coming to us and leaving teams like Barca and Real? Are they not good enough to break through or do they think we're better?

Call_me_al wrote: »
    while it may not be rubbish, it is the same damn arguments (discussions which ever you prefer) over and over and over again. Example: Everytime someone tells me Rafa has spent poorly I disagree and I have seen the numbers at least 5 times (which i dont think are ever that consistent) in this thread and i still disagree thats suddenly not gonna change on the 6th time. And it is very difficult when someone gets facts and tries to surround it with horrible logic, imo, which is done a lot.

Also the gall of some people in here with talk like "i thought it was agreed Rio is the best defender in England" (or something as cocky), imagine how much sh*t i would get going into the united thread saying "well i am sure no one is stupid enough not to agree the Reina is the best keeper in the league, well the numbers prove it so if you don't agree then you're obviously delusional about how good united are"

Why dont we have a thread "Condescending United Fans Tell You Why Your Team Hasn't Won The League".

Thats your problem finally the conversation got moved onto something at bit more constructive then you go and ruin it by starting it all again, and posting nothing constructive. Good man.

---Masch--Alonso---
    Gerrard
    RW
    LW
    Torres

or

Torres----Forward----

I posted on this in detail a few weeks ago. I personally believe that he intends to alternate between the two of them depending on what he feels will be most effective against the opposition.

I also firmly believe that he will have out and out left and right wingers for the 4-4-2 formation and seperate left and right infield players for the 4-3-3.

Kewell and Benayoun are the type of players that will be used in the 4-3-3 for example. Pennant and Aurellio are the ones that will be used in the 4-4-2.

The finer details of where what players will play in will obviously depend on injuries etc but you get the picture. The options will exist to play a tight midfield 4 with wide players that then to tuck in or will be quite expansive with wingers that cling to the wings.

To go back to the argument about the quality of players that rafa has brought and to even touch on the gutting of the squad he inherited. Alot of the players he has bought have been purchases solely as stop gaps to meet the immediate requirements of the squad.

The season he signed Pennant, we heard persistant rumours of Simao and Alves. When he signed Belamy, we were hearing constant rumours of Villa and go knows who else. This summer we were hearing constant rumours of Quaresma and the dude from Roma. Those are the grade of players that he wants to sign. Those are the grade of players that will slowly be added to the squad over the coming seasons with 1 or 2 being added every summer.

At the same time, he will be replacing the players that he bought as quick fixes with players that perform the same role but do it better. Replacing Garcia with Benyoun for example. I am nearly of the opinion that Vorinin was signed to give Kuyt a kick of up the arse as he is a near identical player. Selling Kuty for a 7 or 8 million and keeping Vorinin is an option for example.

I think that Rafa plants to keep the likes of Pennant and Kewell as while they aren't gonna set the world alight, they are still decent options to have as backup.

We are still in the relatively early stages of what Rafa is trying to achieve and I think it is foolish to criticise what he as done so far. There is no doubting that I would liked us to be doing better, but people forget that from the day he was signed, he was constantly told that investment would be coming and to just keep us in the top 4 until it comes. It took 3 years to come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

While I was always incredibly sceptical about our chances this season, the signing of 3 quality players in the next 7 to 8 months should mean that we are genuine contenders for it. I don't think even Arsenal, United or Chelsea supporters would makes claims beyond that..

This season is definitely not the season Liverpool will challenge, although they will be closer than previous seasons. Still short in a few areas and again that seems to be the wide positions. Could also do with cover at CB. We have a good few players coming though at the back but its a few years off for them to be ready like San Jose & Insua.

I think its more of a case that Liverpool don't need Sissoko. They have enough quality in the central midfield with Lucas, Gerrard, Alonso & Masch. Momo is 5th choice. A winger if not 2 is definitely needed. Striking wise, I think they have enough quality. Crouch should be getting more matches and time on the pitch. If we had enough quality on the wings, then Kuyt wouldn't be needed to make up the 5th man in midfield when needed.

We have a few players who are not fighting to win the ball back, ala Kewell & pennant. That seems to be the area of the pitch that is being let down. All other areas are solid enough. For all Riises faults, he will fight to get the ball back when lost.

A lot will depend if Rafa gets the resources soon to strenghten with players HE wants and they are available..

I have been wondering why all these young players are coming to us and leaving teams like Barca and Real? Are they not good enough to break through or do they think we're better?

Im not sure how we robbed Pacheco from Barca to be honest, he was their young goal machine in the youth teams.

Bruno was gotten by guaranteeing that he'd go straight to training with the first team in Liverpool and be treated as a first team squad player, just as Cesc and Flamini were at Arsenal. At Real he was due to spend time with the B Castilla side (he's 16 still) and stay with the youth setup. To be honest, it could have been a similer agreement with Pacheco maybe. Already Pacheco's appearances (that i've seen) have been for the reserves rather then the Youth Cup side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I posted on this in detail a few weeks ago. I personally believe that he intends to alternate between the two of them depending on what he feels will be most effective against the opposition.

I also firmly believe that he will have out and out left and right wingers for the 4-4-2 formation and seperate left and right infield players for the 4-3-3.

Kewell and Benayoun are the type of players that will be used in the 4-3-3 for example. Pennant and Aurellio are the ones that will be used in the 4-4-2.

The finer details of where what players will play in will obviously depend on injuries etc but you get the picture. The options will exist to play a tight midfield 4 with wide players that then to tuck in or will be quite expansive with wingers that cling to the wings.

To go back to the argument about the quality of players that rafa has brought and to even touch on the gutting of the squad he inherited. Alot of the players he has bought have been purchases solely as stop gaps to meet the immediate requirements of the squad.

The season he signed Pennant, we heard persistant rumours of Simao and Alves. When he signed Belamy, we were hearing constant rumours of Villa and go knows who else. This summer we were hearing constant rumours of Quaresma and the dude from Roma. Those are the grade of players that he wants to sign. Those are the grade of players that will slowly be added to the squad over the coming seasons with 1 or 2 being added every summer.

At the same time, he will be replacing the players that he bought as quick fixes with players that perform the same role but do it better. Replacing Garcia with Benyoun for example. I am nearly of the opinion that Vorinin was signed to give Kuyt a kick of up the arse as he is a near identical player. Selling Kuty for a 7 or 8 million and keeping Vorinin is an option for example.

I think that Rafa plants to keep the likes of Pennant and Kewell as while they aren't gonna set the world alight, they are still decent options to have as backup.

We are still in the relatively early stages of what Rafa is trying to achieve and I think it is foolish to criticise what he as done so far. There is no doubting that I would liked us to be doing better, but people forget that from the day he was signed, he was constantly told that investment would be coming and to just keep us in the top 4 until it comes. It took 3 years to come!

Agree with ya on most things jesus but I think Kuyt would be kept ahead of Voronin. You let Kuyt up front and not spend too much time fighting for the ball and doing all his work off the ball and he will score a lot more goals than he is getting at the moment. I also don't think Kewell will be kept.

Babel is also one for teh future...maybe next year he will get more of a run, but for now he seems to be more of an individual than a team player. once he gets to be more of a team player we will see a lot more of him.

If Rafa gets the players he wants, they would be a lot more comptetitive. We just have to sit it out and watch the rebuilding. These things take time

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    This season is definitely not the season Liverpool will challenge, although they will be closer than previous seasons. Still short in a few areas and again that seems to be the wide positions. Could also do with cover at CB. We have a good few players coming though at the back but its a few years off for them to be ready like San Jose & Insua...

Am not sure if you are thinking that I think otherwise but just to make it clear, I have maintained this whole season that Liverpool would not win the league this season.

Without doubt, they need to add 3 world class players to the first team and 1 or 2 others to the squad before I would be remotely expectant of having a genuine shot.

If they sign a world clas winger and another quality striker along with a centre back for cover, I would expect us to compete to the very end but ultimately loose out by a game or two unless we are very fortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's just a progression of Manchester's obsession with Liverpool, it's small town syndrome, where Manchester was always in the shadow of Liverpool City.

Maybe it stems way back, when Liverpool was a vibrant dock town, or during the 60's, when they had best music/style/fashion, and Manchester was just a dreary hole.

Thats filtered through to football too, with our league & european success, I guess Utd fans begrudge this. Maybe thats one of the reasons they sing songs about Liverpool even when not playing them :confused:

Personally I don't care that much about Utd, why should I?, I'm more interested in my own team, I don't care what players AF bought, what formation they play, why Carrick cost 18m, why Rio Ferdinand is a quivering lipped fool or any number of begruding issues towards Utd, It would be a little sad and boring to have such a vested interest in a team I don't even support :confused:

Maybe it just shows what a strange inferiority complex Utd fans have, even when they are undoubtly the more successful team of two in the modern era, their fans still feel most threatened by a Rotating Rafa, Crap Players, No New Stadium, No Money for new players, Withered Title Challenge, Soon to be Eliminated from CL, and Only took 2 points from the Top 3 teams at Home.

Bit Strange Innit :p

Another question. If Rafa over the course of this transfer window and the summer is able to add the centre back he wants, Mascherano, and is givin money for two top class attacking options(either on the wings or one wing striker whatever). Would he then be expected to make a prolonged/meaningfull assualt at the title?

• Advertisement

Would he then be expected to make a prolonged/meaningfull assualt at the title?

Expected by who ? The owners/board or the supporters ?

Personally I'd rather the team made a meaningfull assault at the title. Rafa may have some good ball control but I doubt if he'd have the stamina for a whole season - esp playing 1 against 11 every week :D

THE FA CUP BIT!

It could be worse

Mike.

Another question. If Rafa over the course of this transfer window and the summer is able to add the centre back he wants, Mascherano, and is givin money for two top class attacking options(either on the wings or one wing striker whatever). Would he then be expected to make a prolonged/meaningfull assualt at the title?

Can you not answer that question yourself? If Liverpool added 3 new first team players, would they be expected to challenge for the title? - Yes.

Liverpool expect to challenge for the title every year, thats what happens at a club with successful history, they want more...

Although you knew that already, your post was just another little attempted dig, indicative of most of your posts on this thread.

Part of being a football fan, is being optimistic about your teams chances, not writing off your seasons chances half way through....

Fulham lining up a £3m offer for Guthrie:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/01/04/roy-hodgson-eyes-3m-danny-guthrie-100252-20313215/

He's got great potential and has done well at the clubs he's gone on loan to. Whether or not he can step up that extra level remains to be seen.

For 3 million (if thats a serious bid) he'll be gone.

Mike.

zing wrote: »
    Expected by who ? The owners/board or the supporters ?

Personally I'd rather the team made a meaningfull assault at the title. Rafa may have some good ball control but I doubt if he'd have the stamina for a whole season - esp playing 1 against 11 every week :D

Both off course.
    zabbo wrote: »
    Can you not answer that question yourself? If Liverpool added 3 new first team players, would they be expected to challenge for the title? - Yes.

Liverpool expect to challenge for the title every year, thats what happens at a club with successful history, they want more...

Although you knew that already, your post was just another little attempted dig, indicative of most of your posts on this thread.

Part of being a football fan, is being optimistic about your teams chances, not writing off your seasons chances half way through....

Well obviously not all Liverpool fans dont expect to challenge for the title every year. As many of them have stated that very fact on this thread already. I was trying to ask what would it take for them fans to expect a title challenge.

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »
    Fulham lining up a £3m offer for Guthrie:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/01/04/roy-hodgson-eyes-3m-danny-guthrie-100252-20313215/

He's got great potential and has done well at the clubs he's gone on loan to. Whether or not he can step up that extra level remains to be seen.

he has looked good at bolton, but never good enough to break into the Liverpool first team. I hope he goes to a good team who can offer him some good first team football, as I would like to see him make it somewhere.

mike65 wrote: »
    THE FA CUP BIT!

It could be worse

Mike.

Jeez - honestly didn't realise things were quite that bad for them. If winning this game gave them some glimmer of hope then I'd almost wish for us to loose it - hate seeing clubs that have been around for so long go to the wall.

Well obviously not all Liverpool fans dont expect to challenge for the title every year. As many of them have stated that very fact on this thread already. I was trying to ask what would it take for them fans to expect a title challenge.

Expectations and a realistic assessent of your chances and reasons for failure are very different things.

I was trying to ask what would it take for them fans to expect a title challenge.
    Why on earth would you care?

It would probably take a CB/Winger/Striker for doubting fans to think we should win the League, personally I think we should be mouting a more serious challenge with the players already at the club.

And come the end of the season, who knows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Could Stevie Gerrard be turned into a striker?

• Advertisement

Probably could but you need a goal scoring midfielder in order to be successful. Most championship winning teams in recent years have either had 2 strikers that score a stupid amount of goals or one high scoring striker and a midfielder that gets 15+ goals or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

The-Rigger wrote: »

he played there before for england but if you did it with him in liverpool he would just run amuck,he wouldnt stay there.

I still would like to point out the fact that tom hicks signed a baseball player for the dallas stars on a 250m contract,so he knows you need to spend big,football prices are nothing compared to us prices.Im pretty sure rafa will be given money but i expect most of our business will be done in summer.

I also have a theory,after looking at them both hicks seems to be gung ho and ready to plow in money and i reckon he was behind torres,i think he is more likely to get caught up in the moment.gillete seems to think more cautously than him.so we have to give it time before they see that we wont do it this year and they will spend big.I think gillette wants to flex his muscles and is reluctant to spend,he is also the less wealthy of the 2 i think.

the only thing that might stop them is that the dollar is getting pretty weak with the pound,so they aint getting as much bang for their buck,i doubt that would put off the glazers though!so hopefully it wont putoff these goons

dc69 wrote: »
    I also have a theory,after looking at them both hicks seems to be gung ho and ready to plow in money and i reckon he was behind torres,i think he is more likely to get caught up in the moment.gillete seems to think more cautously than him.so we have to give it time before they see that we wont do it this year and they will spend big.I think gillette wants to flex his muscles and is reluctant to spend,he is also the less wealthy of the 2 i think.

Funny - I'd have said the opposite. Hicks always comes across as the no nonsense business man whereas Gillet always struck me as a genuine sports fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

the only thing that might stop them is that the dollar is getting pretty weak with the pound,so they aint getting as much bang for their buck,i doubt that would put off the glazers though!so hopefully it wont putoff these goons

You can be pretty sure that 2 wealthy business men like them have their assets sufficiently diversified to offset dollar depreciation.

Gerrard out of Luton game with 'thigh strain' yeah right.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

zabbo wrote: »
    I think we should be mounting a more serious challenge with the players already at the club.

+1

Levels of performance this season have been very poor overall.

Players look jaded and unenthusiastic most of the time, but then randomly will turn it on and hammer someone by 4+ every 5/6 games. What gives?

Many of the matches won have been with large helpings of luck, and/or only clinched when they decided to start playing around the 75 minute mark after a lacklustre, pedestrian first 70.
    (Wigan, Fulham, Villa, Everton, Derby)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

The-Rigger wrote: »

i dont think so, not at 27

and i dont think he has the finishing ability to be one. I doubt he could play with his back to goal either, he is a player that gets on the ends of things, not with back to goal as a striker has to do.

And why would you want to?

tibor wrote: »
    +1

Levels of performance this season have been very poor overall.

Players look jaded and unenthusiastic most of the time, but then randomly will turn it on and hammer someone by 4+ every 5/6 games. What gives?

Many of the matches won have been with large helpings of luck, and/or only clinched when they decided to start playing around the 75 minute mark after a lacklustre, pedestrian first 70.
    (Wigan, Fulham, Villa, Everton, Derby)

At the same time there have been matches that we really should have won but were let down by poor finishing and not taking chances or in one case, a mind boggling ref decision.

Chelsea, Birmingham, M.City, Wigan...etc

Our problem has been consistently. We arent in any way consistent. We have won a max of three games in a row which just isnt good enough. The Main reason we arent winning games is because we haven't got enough goalscorers in the forward positions, simple as. In the league -

Pennant - 0
    Kewell - 0
    Benayoun - 2
    Babel - 2/3
    Kuyt - 3 (2 pens)
    Voronin - 2/3
    Crouch - 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

event wrote: »
    i dont think so, not at 27

and i dont think he has the finishing ability to be one. I doubt he could play with his back to goal either, he is a player that gets on the ends of things, not with back to goal as a striker has to do.

And why would you want to?

I don't know if you would want too, but there always seem to be a lot of discussions on how to accommodate him and he seems to score a lot of goals as it is, though, maybe the penos count for quite a bit of that.

h

I still would like to point out the fact that tom hicks signed a baseball player for the dallas stars on a 250m contract,so he knows you need to spend big,football prices are nothing compared to us prices.Im pretty sure rafa will be given money but i expect most of our business will be done in summer.

But at the same time, A-Rod's signing pretty much ruined that team. They payed way over the odds and couldn't afford anyone else. Hicks was made to look a laughing stock. I doubt he will want that experience repeated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement