Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Well i think it would have set a dangerous precedent if they did hand it over!!Every small team in trouble would expect the same gesture and would kick up if they didnt get it!!As i said im happy their getting more money but in the right way!!Thats just my opinion anyways!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Possibly but it wouldn't have been the first time that a bigger club handed over their receipts to a csmaller team in the FA Cup...anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Id still love us to get Garay instead though.

I'd still love us to get Garay as well. Hypia will probably be gone in the summer, Carra isn't exactly getting any younger and Hobbs could probably do with a seasons loan at one of the lower table prem clubs to see if he's got what it takes (like Guthrie is getting this season).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

id say hyppia will retire at the end of this season,whatever happens with him i expect him to finish his career with liverpool,he derserves it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ive been saying that about Berbatov for months, him and Torres together would be one of the best striking partnerships in world football. They would compliment each other so well. If it meant losing out on Masch i think it would be worth going in for Berba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Melion wrote: »
    Ive been saying that about Berbatov for months, him and Torres together would be one of the best striking partnerships in world football. They would compliment each other so well. If it meant losing out on Masch i think it would be worth going in for Berba.

Dont think Rafa would ever (even if he had the money) sign someone with an attitude like Berbatov seems to have. The only player I can recall that he signed with a bad attitude was Bellamy which was obviously just a stop gap (he was sold after 1 season) until he could afford someone better (he only cost 6m).

Tusky wrote: »
    Dont think Rafa would ever (even if he had the money) sign someone with an attitude like Berbatov seems to have. The only player I can recall that he signed with a bad attitude was Bellamy which was obviously just a stop gap (he was sold after 1 season) until he could afford someone better (he only cost 6m).

i wonder if rafa regrets selling bellamy?kuyt v bellamy?i know who i would have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i think berba is getting more stick then maybe he deserves. all the crap comments were from his agent. the only direct thing Berbatov has said was today when he came out saying he was happy at spurs and was tired of all the speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Well i think it would have set a dangerous precedent if they did hand it over!!Every small team in trouble would expect the same gesture and would kick up if they didnt get it!!As i said im happy their getting more money but in the right way!!Thats just my opinion anyways!!

but what i dont get is that everyone is having a go at Liverpool but Luton have played other EPL teams at home in Carling cup and did not get the receipts from them i.e Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

i think berba is getting more stick then maybe he deserves. all the crap comments were from his agent. the only direct thing Berbatov has said was today when he came out saying he was happy at spurs and was tired of all the speculation.

I was more so talking about his attitude on the pitch. Hes constantly giving out if he doesn't get the perfect pass, throwing his arms in the air and generally sulking.

I rate him very very highly as a player though and would love to have him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

but what i dont get is that everyone is having a go at Liverpool but Luton have played other EPL teams at home in Carling cup and did not get the receipts from them i.e Everton

Lets be honest!!It doesnt take much these days for people to criticise liverpool...

Tusky wrote: »
    I was more so talking about his attitude on the pitch. Hes constantly giving out if he doesn't get the perfect pass, throwing his arms in the air and generally sulking.

I rate him very very highly as a player though and would love to have him.

Thats true alright, if things aren't going for him how he wants them to he can get in a bit of a strop. What just amazes me about the guy is his composure. Even when he's having a bad game, like at Villa last week, while he kind of strolls around and wasn't getting really stuck in, Every time he got the ball he was able to take as much time as he wanted, stroll around with it stuck to his feet and pick a simple pass. We could really do with some of that simple passing at Anfield at the moment!

I wouldn't mind, for one game, maybe luton at home, if the lads were just told to go out and play their football, enjoy themselves, do what they feel, rather then everything being micro managed, every scenario covered and planned for. Just doesn't look like they're enjoying their football out there a lot of the time, and that shows in jerky, selfconscious football with poor passing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I wouldn't mind, for one game, maybe luton at home, if the lads were just told to go out and play their football, enjoy themselves, do what they feel, rather then everything being micro managed,

I would love to see this as well I would say they could play some nice ball is allowed.But we both know there is more chance of Stan getting the Ireland job again than this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

There's a story in one of the papers tomorrow about Jamie Carragher confronting Luton fans after the match.

Apparently, he reacted to a group of 10 fans who were barracking him in the post match warm down. He is alleged to have back chatted first before finally climbing the perimeter fence to try and get at them. A member of stadium security intervened.

I would post a link, but I appreciate the stance of Liverpool supporters against the newspaper carrying this story.

Here's the pic that accompanies the article (yes, apparently thats Carragher:D):

jesus they aint doing themselves any favours.i would believe it,id say he has a fiery temper and being in such a small ground the insults would be heard loud and clear and those arseholes probably stayed back just to shout at him,pricks!

just saw this on another site,i think its pretty funny

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/broads_2007/manugiflol.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

hmmm not very funny at all really and why does it say Chelsea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Something wrong with the link in your post there Sizzler. It made my browser shut down :confused:

That is actually true, not because it's the S**

DesF wrote: »
    Something wrong with the link in your post there Sizzler. It made my browser shut down :confused:

That is actually true, not because it's the S**

All part of the campaign to stop people reading that rag.

In other news Juve are reportedly lining up an £ 11m bid for Momo !! I'd happily take € 11m but I'd bite their hands off for £ 11m.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/01/08/juventus-talk-up-momo-sissoko-ahead-of-possible-move-64375-20322355/

Would be good business either way considering he cost us £ 5.1m. Has had a few terrible performances so far this season but I honestly think he just needs to get 3 or 4 games on the trot together to get his confidence back.

Decision (the latest one that is) on stadium plans to be made today apparently.

Meh, I could probably make it up.

CARRAGHER IN FENCE JUMP SHOCKER

Liverpool ace, Jamie Carragher, who has retired from international football, was involved in shocking scenes in Luton's Ground after Sunday's shock draw in the FA Cup. He was subject to a barrage of vicious abuse from a group of Luton fans who had stayed behind to heckle the star. After getting involved ina verbal volley, which turned the air blue, The crazed Reds' defensive rock attempted to CLIMB the fence and attack the cowering group

Something like that, yeah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

£11m for Sissoko, take it along with their hand, wrist, watch and forearm. If there is anyone willing to spend that on him we should sell straight away. That money and Carsons sale means enough money for Masch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Meh, I could probably make it up.

CARRAGHER IN FENCE JUMP SHOCKER

Liverpool ace, Jamie Carragher, who has retired from international football, was involved in shocking scenes in Luton's Ground after Sunday's shock draw in the FA Cup. He was subject to a barrage of vicious abuse from a group of Luton fans who had stayed behind to heckle the star. After getting involved ina verbal volley, which turned the air blue, The crazed Reds' defensive rock attempted to CLIMB the fence and attack the cowering group

Something like that, yeah?

:D:D:D

Pretty much

You ever tried journalism??????

tonc76 wrote: »
    You ever tried journalism??????
    Working for The S** isn't journalism tbh.

zing wrote: »
    All part of the campaign to stop people reading that rag.

In other news Juve are reportedly lining up an £ 11m bid for Momo !! I'd happily take € 11m but I'd bite their hands off for £ 11m.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/01/08/juventus-talk-up-momo-sissoko-ahead-of-possible-move-64375-20322355/

Would be good business either way considering he cost us £ 5.1m. Has had a few terrible performances so far this season but I honestly think he just needs to get 3 or 4 games on the trot together to get his confidence back.

Decision (the latest one that is) on stadium plans to be made today apparently.

Oh my god, sell, sell, sell!
    That would sort us big time. Even the Americans couldn't deny that 6mill to upgrade from Momo to Masch is top notch value! We got our initial 5.1mill money's worth out of Momo in the meantime as well.

On the stadium, im hoping for the scaled down version of the Hicks plan rather then the Bowl. Well depending on how scaled down it is, but it doesn't seem to be too over the top from reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Working for The S** isn't journalism tbh.

True

Fiction maybe???

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Here is the picture of Carra scaling the fence to have a 'chat' with the knob heads with the wigs and dayglo jackets (what's that all about?)

more talk in the daily mail about Klinsmann replacing rafa. What a terrible idea....

Call_me_al wrote: »
    more talk in the daily mail about Klinsmann replacing rafa. What a terrible idea....

IMO thats all it is talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

spockety wrote: »
    Here is the picture of Carra scaling the fence to have a 'chat' with the knob heads with the wigs and dayglo jackets (what's that all about?)
    That could be anyone's ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Call_me_al wrote: »

It's all too coincidental for my liking. Stories saying Rafa is gone at the end of the season....Mouriniho can't manage in the Premiership this season. I'm sure the Americans could get rid of Rafa now if they wanted to but why put the rest of the season in jeopardy when we don't even have an employed assisant manager in place, only a first team coach in Alex Miller.

I'd say forget about the Klinsman talk, it's more likely to be José, which isn't a bad thing IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

they were dressed as scousers, like harry enfield

supposedly it was all in jest, they were shouting stuff at riise but he didnt react, laughed it off

its funny, carra reacts to abuse in the crowd and people defend him yet when mourinho did the same a few years back, people wanted him to be burned at the stake almost

event wrote: »
    they were dressed as scousers, like harry enfield

Here is a clip of the tools....

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd be very worried if Liverpool got Mourinho, he scares me :) Also, I think he wants a chance to get back at Chelsea.

PHB wrote: »
    I'd be very worried if Liverpool got Mourinho, he scares me :) Also, I think he wants a chance to get back at Chelsea.

I think he would be terrible,I don't think his family would move to the North West.Thank god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm sure he'd be terrible in terms of the style of management he has, and the way he handles himself in terms of respect towards others and stuff, but not in terms of the results surely?

PHB wrote: »
    I'm sure he'd be terrible in terms of the style of management he has, and the way he handles himself in terms of respect towards others and stuff, but not in terms of the results surely?

Maybe the results would be a big improvement but the football would be no better than we are seen now.Mr Mourinho is not a liked man on merseyside so he would be up against it from the start,I cant see this happening but stranger things have happened in football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Rafa walks/gets walked then Maureen would be my number one choice (shocking but there you go)

Mike.

Rafa yet again moves to rubbish reports of him leaving - directly in response to the articles in the papers on Sunday. I think it's obvious the man really wants to stay at the club for a long time - and I do hope he is given the full backing of the owners (and I don't just mean financial - credit to Gillet he has already done this but nada from Hicks).

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=rafa-benitez-why-the-hell-would-i-ever-want-to-quit-this-fantastic-club%26method=full%26objectid=20324851%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

No doubt the speculation will continue though

I guess we could hope the credit crunch gets so bad G&H bail out and DIC move in.

Mike.

mike - you're assuming DIC would be better than G&H. I don't share that optimism.

Well its all idle speculation :)

I see Alfonso Alves is possibly on his way to Boro wasn't he a vaguely mentioned target?

Mike.

• Advertisement

how about we dont buy anymore senior players from france and holland, i'd be happy with that...

mike65 wrote:
    Well its all idle speculation :)

I see Alfonso Alves is possibly on his way to Boro wasn't he a vaguely mentioned target?

Mike.

Boro? Wow, that would be a bit of a surprise. His potential move to City was being touted as 14mil, didn't think Boro could offer anything like that.

I really would love him as an alternative. Offers a lot of what Crouch does but with extra mobility. He's not fast per say, but he is certainly a lot more mobile then the crouchinator. Natural goal scorer too (all types) and has a wicked free kick on him.

If Rafa were to go, Im afraid to say, as much as I dislike the man, and have since mid Porto days, Mourinho is the best candidate for the job. Looking at who's out there, Lippi and potentially Rijkaard are the other options. Lippi only has experience in Italy and hasn't got a word of english and doesn't seem too pushed about learning. Just dont think Rijkaard would do so well in England.

Here's an interesting thought, if Mourinho comes in, Pako might return?

Citah tried to sign Cisse ? Really do have to wonder about Sven sometimes..
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3030984,00.html

zing wrote: »
    Citah tried to sign Cisse ? Really do have to wonder about Sven sometimes..
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3030984,00.html

True, but he is also going for Alves and Mancini, so we could do with a bit more of his gung ho approach. To be fair to Cisse, he does get goals. City woul ddef be better off with someone who can pass and get involved in buildup better rather then someone who just hammers in a rocket every chance he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ahh Cissé...

May I suggest a putter? (Beep)
    Three wood.
    Now enter the force of your swing. I suggest feather touch. (Beep, beep, beep)
    You have entered "power drive".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Ahh Cissé...

Three wood.

thats my joke!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Ahh Cissé...

Three wood.

I pitied the ball boys at Melwood on days where he, Riise and Gerrard were target practising. Can you imagine the distances you'd have to run to fetch 98 out of every 100 shots. Marathons would amount to shorter lengths. City deserve someone like Cisse signing for them after that woeful game against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

dobsdave wrote: »

Something that stood out for me with this signing and the statements being made on this thread about the money that Rafa and more specifically the club has spent in recent years. This is Liverpool's record signing of a defensive player.. £6.5 million..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Nunu wrote: »
    There's a story in one of the papers tomorrow about Jamie Carragher confronting Luton fans after the match.

Apparently, he reacted to a group of 8 fans who were barracking him in the post match warm down. He is alleged to have back chatted first before finally climbing the perimeter fence to try and get at them. A member of stadium security intervened.

I would post a link, but I appreciate the stance of Liverpool supporters against the newspaper carrying this story.

Here's the pic that accompanies the article (yes, apparently thats Carragher:D):

You just knew there had to be more to this non-story than some harmless banter:
    A disgusted football supporter has described how Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher was subjected to a torrent of vile abuse at Kenilworth Road on Sunday.

Luton Town stewards were forced to take drastic action in order to prevent eight mickey-taking Luton Town fans being attacked by the Liverpool defender.

But another fan has spoken out about how the supporters overstepped the mark by offending Carragher and his team-mates as they warmed down after Hatters held the Reds to an FA Cup third round draw.

The offending group were dressed in big blacks wigs, moustaches and bright tracksuits in attempt to replicate the famous Harry Enfield 'scouser' television sketch from the early 1990s. They were making funny hand gestures and telling the players to 'calm down' in Liverpudlian accents.

But onlookers said beer was then flung over Carragher and X-rated references made to his mother in a filthy tirade.

That provoked Carragher, 29, to jump up on to an advertising hoarding to remonstrate with the offending supporters.

Sim Hussain, 31, from Luton, was just a few yards away.

He said: "It was awful. He was making the kids' day by coming over and meeting them. He was the perfect gentleman.

"They were swearing at him. The language was terrible and they were even making references to his mother.

"Even then, Jamie just told them to calm down.

"Then someone spat at him and a drink was thrown at him. We had to jump into the box so it all stopped.

"I'm from Luton and I thought what happened was disgusting. He didn't have to come over. But he did.

"There's banter. But that was something completely different.

"The lads who did it were aged between 18-22. We've been trying to call Luton FC to tell them what happened but they just put us on hold."

http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/lut-sport/Disgusted-by-Luton-supporters39-abuse.3650380.jp

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement