Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The initial savage HKS stadium's costings rose to 700million, which was the reason for it being scrapped. The new plans being given by HKS and the Manchester firm were to be kept around the 300million mark (which it will definately end up being more then, they always do).

I wonder what Lawro's sources are, he's been saying things like this for a few weeks now, from DIC being interested, to him being positive Rafa would outlast G&H. For him to being saying it so much it must be someone pretty high up..that or he's heard rumours and is talking out of his arse, hoping it comes off and he can say "i told ya so"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I wonder what Lawro's sources are, he's been saying things like this for a few weeks now, from DIC being interested, to him being positive Rafa would outlast G&H. For him to being saying it so much it must be someone pretty high up..that or he's heard rumours and is talking out of his arse, hoping it comes off and he can say "i told ya so"

Well he rarely gets his match score predictions right so I'm not holding out much hope of him being right on this.

As for the delay in the signing I think I read somewhere that his agent said they were meeting with Parry this afternoon to finalise things. The delay over the last couple of days is probably down to Parry being out of the country ... and squeezing in a game or 4 of golf, getting his car serviced, taking the dog for a walk, some more golf, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Would rafa quit if Gillet and hicks didnt sanction the transfer at the last minute?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Doubt it.But either way,I seriously doubt the transfer got this far without some input from them. I mean are we to think that Rafa decides on his own that he has money to spend and how much of it, then goes off, does the nessecaries and the first G& H hear of it is when a contract drops on their desk to sign off?

Stekelly wrote:
    Doubt it.But either way,I seriously doubt the transfer got this far without some input from them. I mean are we to think that Rafa decides on his own that he has money to spend and how much of it, then goes off, does the nessecaries and the first G& H hear of it is when a contract drops on their desk to sign off?

I very much doubt thats the case, but at the same time, it did only seem to need that final rubber stamping. It could just be parry being out of the country, im only going by the couple of reports that said it was waiting on a final phonecall from the US to seal the deal. Im imagine lots of deals get persued to a point, with teh blessing of the americans/board and then whichever one is the best or whatever gets the final ok. for eg Yossi, we were in talks with him for a lot of last summer, but only finally went sealed it when Malouda became a definate no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Stop worrying! He has signed and it will be announced soon. Remember how long they took to announce Lucas & Benayoun ? Sometimes they like to officially announce two signings together, which would be v.good news indeed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think with Agger coming back and what not that the deal is not as much of a panic as people want it to be. I could see us signing another player this window and unveiling them together. Plus if i remember rightly Parry has to rubber stamp all deals personally until the owners son takes his place so if he is not back in the country then that is why its not finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It seems that Rafa has been told to buy he has to sell. Selling Momo seems to be funding this transfer.

PHB wrote: »
    It seems that Rafa has been told to buy he has to sell. Selling Momo seems to be funding this transfer.

So how come that 'sale' is reportedly a 6 month loan with option to then buy ?

Also it would appear that Momo is the main driving force behind his proposed move from the club rather than the club trying to cash in on him. At least thats the impression I've gotten to date.

Possible, but doubtful.

Also, seems Liverpool arent on tv this week either. They haven't been on much lately at all. Annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Tusky wrote: »
    Possible, but doubtful.

Also, seems Liverpool arent on tv this week either. They haven't been on much lately at all. Annoying.

Setanta 1 on saturday. It's the 3pm kick off so it's not on in the UK, only Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh goodie (Liverpool at the Riverdside are poor for some reason)

Mike.

Setanta 1 on saturday. It's the 3pm kick off so it's not on in the UK, only Ireland.

Ah, great! I use footballontv.co.uk and it didnt show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh goodie (Liverpool at the Riverdside are poor for some reason)

Mike.

I'd say all of the top 4 have struggled there over the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

zing wrote: »
    So how come that 'sale' is reportedly a 6 month loan with option to then buy ?

Also it would appear that Momo is the main driving force behind his proposed move from the club rather than the club trying to cash in on him. At least thats the impression I've gotten to date.

yea, you could tell he was unhappy when he started whining before the Marseille game

if we get 10 million for Sissoko rafa should be given the freedom of Liverpool City :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

If Momo is on his way it must mean Rafa is very confident that the deal to keep Mascherano is all but done :D

Looks like we could be facing a very different Luton side next Tuesday.

Luton have already accepted bids for David Edwards & Chris Coyne and have had offers made for Calvin Andrew, Drew Talbot & Dean Brill so I wouldn't hold much hope of them still being around on Tues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

did they(luton) get a buyer berfore the monday deadline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Jurgen Klinnsman, who was a 'hot tip' to take over when Rafa gets sacked (lol), will take over Bayern Munich at the end of the season.
    Looks like the tabloids will have to pick some other out of work manager to insert into their 'Rafa on the brink' drivel.

• Advertisement

At last, no more crap about Klinnsman! He's joining Bayern next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Or if you look at the link i posted on football on the net link its schedueld to show the Liverpool game tomorrow, i dont get it since i had to subcribe to Setanta Northern Ireland

prendy wrote: »
    did they(luton) get a buyer berfore the monday deadline?

There's been at least one offer made for the club afaik. The cash from that game and the game next tues has given them a bit more time to evaluate any offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

zing wrote: »
    Looks like we could be facing a very different Luton side next Tuesday.

Luton have already accepted bids for David Edwards & Chris Coyne and have had offers made for Calvin Andrew, Drew Talbot & Dean Brill so I wouldn't hold much hope of them still being around on Tues.

leeds were rejected by dean morgan too, and we may go back in for him, he too could be gone

i kinda feel sorry for those players, on one hadn they obviously want to move to secure their futures, on the other im sure they want to play at anfield.

the administrators denied permission for them to stay and play next week

Daemonic wrote: »
    If Momo is on his way it must mean Rafa is very confident that the deal to keep Mascherano is all but done :D

Exactly. If momo goes and we don't get Mascherano we would be left with Gerrard, Alonso & Lucas. Rafa wouldn't let this happen so its definitely a good sign in regards to Mascherano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

dobsdave wrote: »
    Jurgen Klinnsman, who was a 'hot tip' to take over when Rafa gets sacked (lol), will take over Bayern Munich at the end of the season.
    Looks like the tabloids will have to pick some other out of work manager to insert into their 'Rafa on the brink' drivel.

best news for ages...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158347080111-1215.htm

Very interested to see this guy play. Never heard of him before Tuesday

I dunno why Rafa is mentioning the game against Everton. By all accounts didn't he have a nightmare of a game?

I'm interested in the lad though, looks a big and strong and well capable for the physical side of the premiership. He also kinda reminds me of Ivan Drago ;)

One thing i particularly like about Rafa's description is that he called him quick. Lord knows thats something we could do with in CB. By the way he's being talked about, it sounds like he's the long term successor to Cara. Lets hope he can live up to the expectancy that comes with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Skrtel being called quick is good, but is not a huge goal scorer, but I guess Agger is, can't complain too much about CB's not being goal scorers. *Carragher*
    Looking forward to tomorrows game. Hopefully a big win.
    *ugh, Chelski got Anelka*

Good news and hopefully more will follow regarding Sissoko to Juve.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3038356,00.html

Puts that rumour to bed thankfully:
    Jurgen Klinsmann will take over as coach of Bayern Munich from next season, the club announced on Friday.

The former Germany boss will take the reins from Ottmar Hitzfeld, who is set to step down from the post at the end of the campaign.

A statement on Bayern's official website said: "Former Germany boss Jurgen Klinsmann will succeed Ottmar Hitzfeld as Bayern head coach on 1 July 2008."

The appointment marks Klinsmann's first foray into club coaching after he guided host nation Germany to third place in the 2006 World Cup.

The 43-year-old won 108 caps for his country and was captain for the successful Euro 96 campaign.

Klinsmann enjoyed a successful stint with Bayern between 1995 and 1997, winning UEFA Cup and Bundesliga honours.

The club have announced a press conference for 1500GMT on Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Was Skrtel signed in time for tomorrows game?

Quoteth rafa

""I don't think he will be ready for Middlesbrough because the Russian league season ended more than a month ago and the last competitive game Martin played was in the UEFA Cup in December.

"He has been training but I don't think that will be enough. He needs to get to know his team-mates and the league but I will look at him in training because he has a very good physical condition."

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So does anyone know how good Skrtel is? Is he a potential buy, or is he currently at a high enough level?

Well he has a championship winners medal already so I suspect he's good enough - just needs to get fit. I wonder if he'll find Mersyside too warm?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I wonder how long it will be till his gaff is robbed!:p

So does anyone know how good Skrtel is? Is he a potential buy, or is he currently at a high enough level?

From Rafa
    "He is aggressive, quick, is good in the air and I think he's a very good player for the future and also for the present.

"He has experience and enough quality for playing as soon as possible."

Perfect scenario really, someone who can play now but won't be demanding immediate 1st team football. Similar situation as we had with Agger, he was more then capable of playing straight away, but the bit of time spent in the squad, and in reserve games before he became a 1st teamer meant he was fully comfortable with the setup and system when he made the final step up.

Reports are that he is similar to Vidic but is very quick. I have no idea if this is true or not. I would obviously be over the moon if it was.

Supposedly hes aggressive, good tackler, good in the air, strong and has decent technique. Sounds too good to be true to be honest. We will have to wait and see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ray Kennedy Fund Raiser

As you are aware from the site,we are trying to organise some fundraising for one of our truly great legends and an absolute gentleman.Ray as we all know has been suffering from Parkinsons Disease for over twenty years.He has done so with great dignity and courage.
    Due to his illness and inability to work, it has left him over the years in dire financial need. So much so he has sold his prized medal collection.

What we are asking from you is a donation of €5 for this worthwhile cause.
    Your donation will give you 1 entry per donation (You can enter as many times as you wish). The prize is a trip for two to the Boro game including tickets,transfers and accomadation.
    We know you all have many outlays at this time of year but please give to this man who gave us such enjoyment and did so with little financial reward.Also,the chance to go to Anfield for 2 people for just €5.

We will update you on the details on the main site on how to enter this great draw.

The IrishKop.com Team.

Just noticed this quote from Rafa on the LFC site.
    Rafa wrote:
    "We are happy with the squad. We needed another centre-back but in the other positions we have enough players."

So no more signings then? No wingers (which we sorely need) or a decent striker to partner Torres?

• Advertisement

Just noticed this quote from Rafa on the LFC site.

So no more signings then? No wingers (which we sorely need) or a decent striker to partner Torres?

Didnt expect any more signings in January. Was hoping for Mascherano to sign but its rare enough to make a big signings in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Most decent strikers/wingers will be cup-tied for the Champions League which doesn't help lining up potential targets. Rafa's right though, we have enough players, we just need some of them to perform a lot better than they are. It could also just be a smokescreen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I think Rafa has a lot of good players at his disposal, he just needs to get more out of players like Babel, Kuyt, Crouch, Benayoun etc...I wouldn't expect major changes until the summer...

I think Rafa has a lot of good players at his disposal, he just needs to get more out of players like Babel, Kuyt, Crouch, Benayoun etc...I wouldn't expect major changes until the summer...

Would agree with Kuyt, Babel & Crouch but surely not Benayoun ? I think the little guy has been very good. 6 goals & 3 assists in 16 starts + 9 sub apperances for a winger is pretty good going. If he stays at the current level he will end up on around 12 goals 6 assists for the season. If we had two wingers that were contributing that much things would be dandy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Oh yeah, I was just generalising a bit...but yeah, I actually think Liverpool have a decent squad and that their shortcomings this season wouldn't necessarily be solved by wholesale multi-million pound changes that have been suggested by some fans / boards posters.

I think as a manager Rafa has a certain philosophy, a certain way of playing...he's shown what a good manager he is, I think it's only a matter of time (ie next season with a couple of additions) before we see the best of Liverpool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Tusky wrote: »
    If we had two wingers that were contributing that much things would be dandy!

If we had 2 wingers like him the opposition wouldn't need full-backs.

tibor wrote: »

I was purely talking about his goal & assist ratio. He was never going to be a touchline hugging winger, we knew this before we signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rafa on Momo......

Rafa Benitez has confirmed Momo Sissoko could leave Liverpool in the January transfer window.

The Spanish coach revealed two or three clubs were keen on signing the Mali international.

Benitez said: "I was talking with Momo about leaving a few times, and with his agent. We know we have two or three clubs asking about him and we will try to find the best solution for him and for us.

"It depends on if we find the right club and the right offer. We need to wait.

"In a top side the competition is always really hard. We've brought in Lucas and with Gerrard playing in the middle this year, plus Alonso and Mascherano, he is under pressure.

"But he wants to play every game. We will try to find a solution for him because he is a nice boy."

Liverpool today completed the signing of Slovak defender Martin Skrtel, who Benitez revealed could well be the only addition this month.

The Liverpool boss said: "We are happy with the squad. We needed another centre-back but in the other positions we have enough players."

On the ongoing speculation regarding Javier Mascherano's future, Benitez added: "We will continue to keep working and we are confident he will stay with us."

Love the "nice boy" comment.

Rafa ya legend.

So Klinsmann is gone to Bayern and has actually said, at NO POINT was there any contact made by any English clubs..... will the media hacks relent on their pursuit of getting Rafa sacked? Don't hold your breath :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

tibor wrote: »

PMSL @ that.Nearly choked on the beer too.

Class.

:p

• Advertisement

Anyone see LFC Now today? Rafa says they were looking at a 21 year old but his price was 40 million euro? Who could that be?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement