Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

awful game, no flow on the ball, middlesborough played very well and we should be very happy to take a point from that game.

In a great position to qualify for champions league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great position to qualify for the Champions League? How our aspirations have fallen!
    tbh the way Villa are starting to click + Everton, Pompey and City threat its not inconceivable for Liverpool to finish 8th.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    its not inconceivable for Liverpool to finish 8th.
    Are you trying to have Mr Alan committed?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chaps with big butterfly nets are on stand-by - I just have to press the bleeper.

The horrible thing is it really could happen, I can see Liverpool scraping past a totally up for it Luton town and getting thumped by Villa.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Yet another shocking performance. Not a lot else to say.
    Nobody played well, didn't even deserve the draw.

awful game, no flow on the ball, middlesborough played very well and we should be very happy to take a point from that game.

In a great position to qualify for champions league.

Are you serious?

:eek:

The horrible thing is it really could happen, I can see Liverpool scraping past a totally up for it Luton town and getting thumped by Villa.

Luton totally outclassed us last week, I didn't see anything today to suggest that will change in the next meeting...

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its not inconceivable for Liverpool to finish 8th.

its also not inconcievable for pamela anderson to bang down my door and beg me to marry her, but its extremely unlikely.

seriously mike, i expect Liverpool to be in third by the middle of Feb. still have a game in hand on the other clubs you mentioned and although we may not be able to compete over a year with the other title contenders, i do really believe that there is a fair gap between us and the teams that are competing with us.

tibor wrote: »
    Luton totally outclassed us last week, I didn't see anything today to suggest that will change in the next meeting...

Luton did not "totally outclass us" dont be ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Half of that Luton team have been sold so should beat them

;)

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Luton did not "totally outclass us" dont be ridiculous.

Did you watch the match?
    They outplayed us all over the pitch except for a 10/15 minute spell at the start. They would have won were it not for some very poor finishing, and a big slice of luck that saw us score a jammy goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

i do really believe that there is a fair gap between us and the teams that are competing with us.
    :confused:

So what's the problem then, at the moment, because there clearly is one.

Players not good enough?

Players not arsed?

Manager not getting the best out of players he picks?

Manager picking the wrong team?

The Americans?

None of the above?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

d22ontour wrote: »
    Half of that Luton team have been sold so should beat them

;)

think today was their management teams last match too.... Villa have the week off though:)

Did you watch the match?
    They outplayed us all over the pitch except for a 10/15 minute spell at the start. They would have won were it not for some very poor finishing, and a big slice of luck that saw us score a jammy goal.

Of course i watched the match. they played excellent and we played poorly. but we were not outplayed. if our goal was flukie, wat was theres? in of Riises arm for crying out loud.

i aint saying luton wasnt an awful performance, but we were not outplayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

They played excellent and you played poorly - I would call that being outplayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

seriously mike, i expect Liverpool to be in third by the middle of Feb. still have a game in hand on the other clubs you mentioned and although we may not be able to compete over a year with the other title contenders, i do really believe that there is a fair gap between us and the teams that are competing with us.

sorry but this is boll*x.

what gap? Liverpool are level on points with the city, villa and everton. There is no gap. And don't compare performances because Liverpool have been no better than those around them in the table, worse if anything.

the league is the truest indicator of form and consistency. and on the table i'm looking at they are joint 7th place.

DesF wrote: »
    So what's the problem then, at the moment, because there clearly is one.

Players not good enough?

Players not arsed?

Manager not getting the best out of players he picks?

Manager picking the wrong team?

The Americans?

None of the above?

Honestly not sure Des. i obviously cant answer definitively on the subject but i would imagine the problems are a combination of:

Players not good enough(to win the league)/players unsure of any point playing for the manager if he wont be there next month,ie.not arsed/not getting best out of players the manager picks/the americans seem to have lied to the fans about the level of investment they were willing to put into the club

racking my brain thinking why things are going the way they are at the minute and i just cant figure it out :(

Archimedes wrote: »
    They played excellent and you played poorly - I would call that being outplayed.

Missing my point my manc loving friend. Us playing poorly equates to about them playing excellently. hence the reason for the draw with 2 flukey goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

quarryman wrote: »

what gap? Liverpool are level on points with the city, villa and everton. There is no gap. And don't compare performances because Liverpool have been no better than those around them in the table, worse if anything.

the league is the truest indicator of form and consistency. and on the table i'm looking at they are joint 7th place.

You're table is wrong then. Liverpool are 4th

• Advertisement

Missing my point my manc loving friend. Us playing poorly equates to about them playing excellently. hence the reason for the draw with 2 flukey goals.

Theres clearly no arguing with you, so I wont even bother. As for your rantings on how you expect Liverpool to be third by mid Feb - what do you base this on?

quarryman wrote: »

we're 4th, with a game in hand according to the premier leagues official site.

so shoo.

Theres clearly no arguing with you, so I wont even bother. As for your rantings on how you expect Liverpool to be third by mid Feb - what do you base this on?

i base this on us being 4th with a game in hand at the minute and Chelsea losing out on most of their best players over the next month.

they played excellent and we played poorly. but we were not outplayed.

If that's not being outplayed, then what is?
    They had the best of the possession, posed a more constant threat and created more and better chances.

Not much point arguing over it though, I don't think anyone would defend any of the last 5 games as worthy performances.

And you play Aston Villa in the very near future. One of the teams you are level with and who, on current form, will be clear favourites for that game.

I don't think anyone would defend any of the last 5 games as worthy performances.

Agreed

• Advertisement

And you play Aston Villa in the very near future. One of the teams you are level with and who, on current form, will be clear favourites for that game.

The game is in Anfield. We will be favourites.

I'd be confident of a win. But then again, i was confident of a win today.

i base this on us being 4th with a game in hand at the minute and Chelsea losing out on most of their best players over the next month.

Monday, 21 January 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Aston Villa, 20:00
    Wednesday, 30 January 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    West Ham v Liverpool, 19:45

Saturday, 02 February 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Sunderland, 15:00
    Sunday, 10 February 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Chelsea v Liverpool, 16:00

Barclays Premier League
    Birmingham v Chelsea, 15:00
    Wednesday, 30 January 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Chelsea v Reading, 19:45

Saturday, 02 February 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Portsmouth v Chelsea, 15:00
    Sunday, 10 February 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Chelsea v Liverpool, 16:00

12 possible points for each team. you expect liverpool to take 9 more than Chelsea?

yeah, good luck with that....

Chelsea look most likely to take 12 from 12 to be honest.

Off Topic: Notice your avatar there quarryman - are you in Queens?

Off Topic: Notice your avatar there quarryman - are you in Queens?

what did you call me?!

:) nope. no Queens connection at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

its just extreme optimism bordering on insanity to claim pool will be 3rd by mid feb, chelsea will not lose as many players as you seem to think, drogba has been injured for a while now, essien is hardly settin the world alight at the mo and wont be missed as much as he would have been last season, kalou is a bit of a joke tbh and anelka should be more then capable of covering him, and mikel, who again will be covered for...... thats the only players that will be unavailable due to the ANC.......

so in terms of cover

drogba:......shevchenko/anelka/pizzaro/sinclair/ maybe even malouda if necessary

essien: ballack/sidwell/lampard/makelele

mikel: same as above

Kalou: malouda/cole/pizzaro/SWP

plenty of cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

More to do with the magazine quarry ?

isnt Lampard injured?

Kryogen: extreme optimism is all i have left :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yeah but you expect him to be fit again by the end of the month...... i understand that mr alan.... if i was a pool fan thats all id have left at this stage too!!! i think unless you guys start performing better and soon then the teams around you will start giving you a real battle for 4th spot this season..... thats surely not where you want your club to still be when its more then half way through rafa's 5 year plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

liverpool will find themselves at least 5 points further behind chelsea by the end of the next 4 games for each team imo

id give up worrying about 3rd, and start focussing on making sure yis manage to get 4th to be perfectly honest. im not saying that coz we're in the shake up for it as well now, but im honestly basing it on the fact that so far as i can see, yis are in very real danger of finishing outside the top 4 this year, and with the way the league is from 7th up, it could be that yis miss out on euro qualification altogether if rafa doesnt get his act together and yis keep throwing away stupid points

and if youre being honest with yourselves theres no way you cant say that its a very real possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

On the back of current form, Liverpool are more likely to 5th or 6th than 3rd in a months time. A game in hand is worth 0 points until after its won. Chelsea are missing some of their best players, but their replacements are top notch as well, and they don't drop points against the bottom 10 sides as much as Liverpool.

Of course its a possibility.

But i still am pretty convinced we have too much for Everton/Portsmouth/Villa to take 4th from us.

Kryogen: i dont know wat to say. i'm not sure wats going on at Liverpool.

But i still am pretty convinced we have too much for Everton/Portsmouth/Villa to take 4th from us.

yis should have in theory, but the table suggests otherwise, and that coupled with current form would be a definite worry for me if i was a liverpool fan

you need a new manager and quickly (tho being a villa fan im hoping yis stick with rafa for as long as possible lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Yeah, Rafa Forever :D

Helix wrote: »
    yis should have in theory, but the table suggests otherwise, and that coupled with current form would be a definite worry for me if i was a liverpool fan

you need a new manager and quickly (tho being a villa fan im hoping yis stick with rafa for as long as possible lol)

Well in theory, even with our awful form as of late, we are still ahead of Villa/Everton/Portsmouth and we do still have a game in hand on ye all. But we are ahead even without it.

As a Villa fan, you should definately be hoping rafa keeps his job....if you plan on keeping your manager ;)

o'neill wouldnt go to liverpool, he wouldnt have as much control as he has at villa, plus yis cant even afford the new stadium ffs

non qualification for the champions league could do very serious damage to the clubs future, and im not saying that trying to bait pool fans or anything, thats just the way it is

its definitely squeaky bum time for yis

• Advertisement

o'neill wouldnt go to liverpool, he wouldnt have as much control as he has at villa, plus yis cant even afford the new stadium ffs

non qualification for the champions league could do very serious damage to the clubs future, and im not saying that trying to bait pool fans or anything, thats just the way it is

its definitely squeaky bum time for yis

Tbh, i'd be pretty confident that if Liverpool tried to get O'Neill, they would.

Is it true to O'Neill is on a one year rolling contract at Villa?

***this is not me saying i think we should replace Rafa***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It is rumoured that O'Neill is a one year contract but nobody knows, O'Neill has a 5 year plan and TBH I think the only job that might tempt him away during that is the UTD job.

Tbh, i'd be pretty confident that if Liverpool tried to get O'Neill, they would.

Is it true to O'Neill is on a one year rolling contract at Villa?

***this is not me saying i think we should replace Rafa***

liverpool as a club are in a bit of a mess at the moment, i cant see it being a particularly attractive job for mon who is at one of the best run clubs in england at the moment, with complete control on what he does, and an open chequebook to sign who he wants, when he wants, how he wants

liverpool are living on past glories, we're pushing ahead for future ones

and yes its true about o'neills deal. he has never been on longer than a 1 year deal from when he left leicester. its a good deal for all concerned, coz it means that at any point in time, o'neill ALWAYS has exactly 1 year left on his contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

MON isnt good enough for liverpool, so fingers crossed he wont see liverpool as an attractive job.

liverpool as a club are in a bit of a mess at the moment, i cant see it being a particularly attractive job for mon who is at one of the best run clubs in england at the moment, with complete control on what he does, and an open chequebook to sign who he wants, when he wants, how he wants

hold on a second mate, Liverpool won the CL in 2005 and the FA cup in 2006, we were also in the CL final again last year. We have a top chance in the CL again this year as well as the FA cup. Hardly past glories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

As (relatively) bad as Liverpool have been playing recently, and as unpromising as I personally think their situation is, I must say that Torres is an amazing amazing footballer. He could get you into the top 4 on his own nearly, I'd love him at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ray Houghton: 'Voronin was a real bad buy'.

:rolleyes:

Good man Ray, he was free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

LOL. Please become a bookie?

As (relatively) bad as Liverpool have been playing recently, and as unpromising as I personally think their situation is, I must say that Torres is an amazing amazing footballer. He could get you into the top 4 on his own nearly, I'd love him at United.

I agree.

I think he is the top striker in England at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

maybe we should get together and write a song about this game in hand, it seems to be our motto.

"we dropped points today, but its ok, we have a game in hand"

then we can change it up in the 2nd verse, "we lost to our rivals at home, but its ok, we have two games in hand"

maybe i'm just being overly negative. "next season we'll be closer"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement