Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

nobody has suggested that Hick's statment may have been a poorly executed clear the air talks, trying to put his hands up and say "yes we spoke to Klinnsman before we met with rafa, but we have since sorted things out and we now fully support Rafa".

but i am not sure myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

havent posted in this forum in a while due to a depression over recent pool news but this tops the lot.Sad to say but todays statement is the end for raf,his position is surely untenable now,what with the owners tlaking abot hiring new managers.
    Is it just me or would anyone else be devasted if it was Klinnsman(thank god bayern got him).I will not be happy unless they hire a world class manager.Big Sami is right,we are turning into Newcastle.
    Can i hold out genuine hopes for the dic consortium buying hicks and gillet out or is it paper talk?Duncan Castles was fairly spot on about the Chelsea story he broke last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

raven136 wrote: »
    Can i hold out genuine hopes for the dic consortium buying hicks and gillet out or is it paper talk?Duncan Castles was fairly spot on about the Chelsea story he broke last year

hicks confirmed they had been in talks over a 15% share and it DIC wont deny they will make a fresh bid for liverpool. I would be surprised if G&H make it to the summer the way they are managing the clubs affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

kida wrote: »
    Do Liverpool fans think now that it seems likely that Rafa will not be boss next year that they should get rid of him now and give someone the rest of the season to evaulate the squad?
    Current form would suggest that 4th is not a given, so would it be risky to change and possible lose 4th.

Based on current form under Rafa we'll lose 4th anyway. At most I think we should give him till we get knocked out of the Champions League but wouldnt be too upset if he was gone sooner. Half our squad needs to be found out and axed and I dont think Rafa has the necessary to do it. He thinks Kuyt and Voronin are our saviours ffs, constantly bringing them on to claw our way back into a game but to no avail when Crouch clearly offers more. We need some rigid dictator to coerce the team back into winning ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I read:
    > Meanwhile, Jamie Carragher will captain Liverpool on his 500th appearance for the club in the FA Cup replay against Luton at Anfield tomorrow.

Thanks Jamie. We can at least be thankful for some things.

By the way. In terms of the Hicks comments about Klinsmann, it is evident that things werent rosy as we all know, but whether this (Klinsmann) is new news to Rafa or is water under the bridge is another thing. Lets watch his words in press conferencs and mannerims closely. Obviously if we win matches that helps all and will help his mood as well. I think he realises that with the new Ownership things have changed. If Real come knocking on the door during the summer, then Rafa would probably be mad not to take it, notwithstanding the fact that I do think he likes Liverpool, the CL win has us in his heart, and he is more than willing to play his part, etc. Real are doing okay though.

As for the Dubai IC investment talks, its well-known that G&H borrowed to buy the club/business, but what their intentions are from here on in (apart from making money) is unclear. Selling out 15% to Dubai IC would have allowed them to have more cash (ie: tangible assets) in the short-term and that would help in any re-financing negotiations. What is clear is that the credit markets are now different than when G&H bought in, so that sub-prime crisis in the US (and the reselling of the mis-priced risk as securitisation to the unsuspecting) will affect Liverpool's finances, and any other business that has to re-finance.

Hindsight is a powerful thing but I'd say Moores now would probably have been much happier with selling LFC to Dubai IC who clearly have much deeper pockets than G&H and will continue to do so as Oil is 100+ a barrell.

Is this an economics/business forum or a football one, I forget! ;-)

raven136 wrote: »
    havent posted in this forum in a while due to a depression over recent pool news

Can this now be clinically diagnosed as an official health problem?? :-)

Redspider

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

redspider wrote: »
    Can this now be clinically diagnosed as an official health problem?? :-)

It is in my house and has been since 1990....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rick Parry has been very quite through all this has'nt he? A word in support of the man he got hired would'nt go amiss.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

An Citeog wrote: »
    Real bought him as a centre-half from Sevilla. His best position is definitely CB. The problem is that Real haven't yet found a replacement for Michel Salgado, so have been forced to play Ramos there. He's still absolute quality but he's definitely not a LB. He's predominantly right sided aswell.

As for Liverpool's chances of signing him, you can dream! Real paid £20million for him as a 19 year old. Even if he wanted to leave Madrid for Liverpool, you'd be looking at paying £30-40million for him.

Spot on.
    I've also seen him play centre midfield on rare occasions for Real and Spain once where he was just outstanding also. I have himself and Benzema ear marked as huge stars of Euro '08;)
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    What a fúcking mess.

Hicks is clearly trying to push Rafa out and is dragging the club through the mud in the process.

Hicks reminds me of this guy.

Hicks reminds me of Randy Quaid:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I don't expect Parry to say anything here. He's going to keep his head down, not (officially at least) say anything G & H don't want him to say and hang onto his job for all he's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Parry's very fond of himself so i'd be suprised if he keeps quiet

• Advertisement

Parry's very fond of himself so i'd be suprised if he keeps quiet

Parry has a lot of questions to answer.Here is a letter one of the lads on IrishKop has sent him,it will be interesting if he gets a reply more than a standard letter.
    Rick.

Can you please explain where exactly the investment from Mr. Hicks and Mr. Gillett has come from?

From my knowledge an investment is the use of capital to create more money, usually through an investor putting money or capital into something.

From the reports the fans have been hearing The Chairmen of the board has had to borrow money from respected financial institutions in order to do the following,

i, to finance our new stadium

ii, to finance the funds of new players.

On the 6th of February 2007, Mr. Gillett confirmed to the media that he has not borrowed any money to buy the club, clear the debts, make funds available for transfers or indeed make funds available for the building of our new stadium.

When the respected Chairmen bought our club they said, and I quote “We will match the spending of Manchester United and Chelsea football clubs”. With all respect in the summer we did see this but recently we (the fans) have noticed that we now have to sell players to fund new transfer, a prime example of this is Javier Mascherano.

I also don’t know if you and also the respected Chairmen have noticed the love we have for our manager. Anyone who can win a Champions League with Igor Biscan, Djimi Traore, Milan Baros and Vladimir Smicer must be some kind of miracle worker. To hear that Rafa Benitez will not be the manager in the summer or possible before that is absolutely ridiculous.

I could go on for ages pointing out what all the fans are saying but if you could answer the above question and also please confirm the following; Will Rafa Benitez be the manager of Liverpool FC in the summer and the foreseen future? Did the respected Chairmen have to borrow funds to buy the club? Will the respected Chairmen back Rafa Benitez with a transfer kitty that will match both the spending power of Manchester United and Chelsea.

Best regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

"Rick"... I like that.

He won't get a proper reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

eZe^ wrote: »
    I disagree, Capello played Ramos at CB because they didnt have adequate cover with just Helguera and Canavarro. He is much better on the wings as he bombs up and down very well and has excellent crossing ability. When he plays CB a whole dimension of his game is lost. Although he very good defensively, getting better and better every season. Prob one of the best in the world in his position.

lol im assuming you and tusky think wes brown is a right back first too then yeah?? regardless of whether his first choice is to be in the centre!! ugh, its not really that important anyway....going to try not repond to posts about ramos now lol

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    "Rick"... I like that.

He won't get a proper reply.

You would be surprised,I am not saying he will but I have heard of a few people down the years getting a reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Ramos' preferred position is cb and most Spanish pundits would have us believe that's his best position. The fact that he's such a good footballer, attacker as well as defender, makes him a world class right back too.

Why are we talking about Ramos in a Liverpool thread anyway?

(couldn't be arsed reading back through 5+ pages)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Dub13 wrote: »
    You would be surprised,I am not saying he will but I have heard of a few people down the years getting a reply.

Aye, quite possibly - I'm just a cynical bastard. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FA CUP 3rd round re-match news from bbc

Jamie Carragher will captain Liverpool on his 500th appearance for the club in the FA Cup replay against Luton.

Manager Rafael Benitez intends to field a strong side and could give a debut to £6.5m defender Martin Skrtel.

Luton have doubts over Dean Brill and Chris Perry (both thigh), while goalkeeper Marlon Beresford is out with a shoulder injury.

Matthew Spring is back after a ban, while striker Sam Parkin is available after a long-term ankle injury.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Very poor form from the owners. Trying to undermine the manager like that.

Deserves far far better.

Hansen's view on today's shambles
    Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks's admission that he spoke to Jurgen Klinsmann about becoming the team manager is an amazing story.

I haven't got a clue why he has come out and said this; maybe the story was going to come out and he thought he'd be better off making a statement first.

Could Rafa Benitez be about to say goodbye to the Liverpool fans?

Whichever way you look at it though, these events cannot do anything but undermine manager Rafael Benitez.

His position is not untenable, but for one of the owners to come out and publicly say he had talks with the man who was heavily linked with Benitez's job - well, it puts even more pressure on the Spaniard.

Benitez is saying nothing, which I think is the most sensible thing to do. But if there is tension between him and the owners, this is only going to heighten it.

I think that is the biggest thing for me. If it adds to that tension then that will eventually start to affect the team on the pitch, that's an absolute certainty.

Players aren't really interested in new stadiums and things like that, it doesn't affect them. But when something affects the manager who is picking the team and influencing their careers, you can bet it will start to have an impact on them.

Liverpool are obviously struggling at the minute.

They have had four draws on the trot, they are 12 points adrift of Manchester United and Arsenal in the Premier League, and I think this is the last thing they need.

It has definitely come at a bad time. There's never a great time for stories like this to come out, but it's far better if you are flying. They are off the pace and it will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

Liverpool are 12 points adrift and this will not help

Insurance policy or whatever Hicks wants to call it - and we have to take him at his word because he is apparently a man of great integrity - the fact is he met Klinsmann and offered him the job if Benitez went, which is remarkable.

I think that in the Premier League, every manager apart from Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger are two games away from the sack, so things might not have changed much from that point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hansen's view on today's shambles

I think that in the Premier League, every manager apart from Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger are two games away from the sack, so things might not have changed much from that point of view.

Thought that bit was a bit odd, I don't think it's accurate in the Premier League in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

if anyone has lfc tv,turn it on now.gillet & hicks getting absolutely slated,rick parry coming in for some special abuse aswell,its upsetting and funny at the same time ,parry described as "a joke of a man" and gillete and hicks as "the bloody yanks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

dc69 wrote: »
    if anyone has lfc tv,turn it on now.gillet & hicks getting absolutely slated,rick parry coming in for some special abuse aswell,its upsetting and funny at the same time ,parry described as "a joke of a man" and gillete and hicks as "the bloody yanks"

"where has parry been all this time? He's like the bloody Scarlett Pimpernel!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,914 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Agger is out indefinitely: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158405080114-1353.htm

(and by indefinitely, I mean, they don't know when he'll be back, but certainly not during January).

Not a good day for Mr. Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

This has the potential to get very messy if they don't sort things out pretty pronto. Especially if players like Carra or Gerrard speak out about it. Whether they will and risk becoming the next Steven Pressley @Hearts is anyones guess.

"where has parry been all this time? He's like the bloody Scarlett Pimpernel!"

i was in stitches hearing that,i also get the feeling watching the show that the presenters cant say anything bad about parry or the owners,they seems to take a very nuetral approach and in most cases they just talk **** to get the caller off the air

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Stky10 wrote: »
    This has the potential to get very messy if they don't sort things out pretty pronto. Especially if players like Carra or Gerrard speak out about it. Whether they will and risk becoming the next Steven Pressley @Hearts is anyones guess.

you dont seriously think that the pair would be willing to part company with someone like Gerrard who would command a huge fee and be wanted by most clubs around the world for voicing that the players didnt agree with their running of the club.

you dont seriously think that the pair would be willing to part company with someone like Gerrard who would command a huge fee and be wanted by most clubs around the world for voicing that the players didnt agree with their running of the club.

Before today, I wouldn't. Now.. god only knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Kuyt, Voronin & Crouch have not scored in the league in over two months. In plain English, this is the root of our problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

dc69 wrote: »
    if anyone has lfc tv,turn it on now.gillet & hicks getting absolutely slated,

Managers and players get tapped up all the time as you know so in all honesty there is no reason for them to be slated.The fact they decided to make a plan b wouldn't be unusual in football as Benitez could easily take a job in Spain at the turn of a hat.The only problem is that it was made public and more importantly why.Maybe just maybe they don't think Benitez can deliver the title just like a lot of pool fans think ??? All us rival fans can do is sit back,enjoy and eat the popcorn.

:D

good man,thanks for the input

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Kuyt, Voronin & Crouch have not scored in the league in over two months. In plain English, this is the root of our problem.

To be fair to Crouch, he hasn't played that often, and when he has, its tended to be with weakened teams like against Chelsea in the CC, and against Luton in the FA cup. If he played more, and got a decent service, I think he'd do ok scoring wise.

As for the other two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Today has been an awful day.

I dont like mondays at the best of times, but this one takes the biscuit.

Hicks has confirmed wat we all half knew all along, his silence this last couple of months coupled with todays statement is just prove he wants Rafa out.

Gillette pretty much all along has publically backed Rafa. Hicks has been silent until today.

Hicks has, imo, been shocked by the support that Rafa has recieved from the fans. Wat he is doing here is basically hand rafa a loaded gun and asking him to shoot himself.

If Rafa walks, i will be devasted. I know my love affair with Rafa is something of a joke to a lot of people on these boards, BUT for the man who gave us that glorious night in Istanbul to be treated the way he is by the supposed saviours of our club is nothing short of sickening.

If Rafa puts up with this ****e and stays, he is a better man than even i gave him credit for.

dont know wat else to say.

we just need to start winning and let all this fade into memory.

"they say our days are numbered, we're not famous anymore BUT! scousers rule the country like they've always done before" :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just wondering what exactly has happened today? If someone could give a quick summary perhaps? Too many posts to read and Ive been out all day so I havent caught the news either...

Cheers

Stky10 wrote: »
    To be fair to Crouch, he hasn't played that often, and when he has, its tended to be with weakened teams like against Chelsea in the CC, and against Luton in the FA cup. If he played more, and got a decent service, I think he'd do ok scoring wise.

As for the other two...

I agree. I think if he was given a run in the team he would score more. Still, he has been poor this year.

In all comps - 21 apperances, 5 goals.

League - 11 apperances, 0 goals.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Just wondering what exactly has happened today? If someone could give a quick summary perhaps? Too many posts to read and Ive been out all day so I havent caught the news either...

Cheers

Fat yank hicks admitted that they spoke to Klinsmann about possibly taking over as a supposed "insurance policy" in case rafa left for Real or Bayern or something.

Timing of the statement and the very fact that it was made at all shows hicks really wants Rafa out and hasnt really given up.

He also spoke about how they now fully support Rafa since the manc game meeting, but saying this in public is undermining the manager too much and i'd be suprised if Rafa didnt want, which of course given how Rafa left Valencia, hicks also knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Fabio Aurelio
    Steve Finnan
    Sami Hyypia
    Jamie Carragher
    Xabi Alonso
    Ryan Babel
    Javier Mascherano
    Harry Kewell

no league goals or very few from these players at all is the root of the problem.

combined with

- carraghers punts
    - risse hollywood shots from 40 yards
    - gerrards carte blanche to take hollywood shots from 40 yards
    - gerrard taking corners/anyone taking corners results in over elaborate moves that dont work or gerrard hitting the first man

all of the above have one thing in common, they all involve us giving the ball back to the opposition, we do it so often its unreal.

add to those issues our overall game plan, pattern of play and all round tactics. basing your team week in week out on what the opposition is going to do when you have players of our calibre is stupid and mind boggling.

one of rafa's strenghs and biggest positives ive always felt was his ability to take note of any fault, learn from it and fix it, but our tactics have just been the same, very little variation at all. its never been rotation that was the problem, its the overly negative tactics thats killing us.

i'd like to see some progression, some more positivity about our tactics, some sence that we're moving in the right direction again, a win tomorrow with a clean sheet would do the world of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Fat yank hicks admitted that they spoke to Klinsmann about possibly taking over as a supposed "insurance policy" in case rafa left for Real or Bayern or something

or we got knocked out of the CL - in which case it wasn't an insurance policy..

dont wanna read the article again....but did hicks actually say that as well? or is it just journalist throwing that in too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Do you think the yanks are trying to force Rafa to resign because they (falsely) believe they wont be in for as much criticism if he resigns rather than is sacked?

el rabitos wrote: »
    Fabio Aurelio
    Steve Finnan
    Sami Hyypia
    Jamie Carragher
    Xabi Alonso
    Ryan Babel
    Javier Mascherano
    Harry Kewell

Yeah...except I posted three strikers. Their job is to score goals. In your list there is four defenders and two defensive midfielders, one of whom has been out all season injured (Alonso) and has two goals to his name. Hyypia also has one. Babel has 6 goals from 25 apperances(only 9 of whcih were starts). Not too bad for a winger. The real problem, in my opinion, is our strikers.

Gerrards 'hollywood' shoots as you call them, are not the problem. The man has scored 12 or 13 goals for us this season. Hes entitled to shoot whenever he wants. Its not as if hes often far off.

Riise on the other hand....has not scored in the league in about a year and a half. Should never be allowed shoot.

• Advertisement

exactly. the fans want Rafa. the yanks know this.

maybe RAWK isnt so ****e after all, fairplay to whoever wrote this, stirring stuff-

The way our club was run was always unique,
    We knew when to be silent and when's right to speak.
    And while I'm sure that such an approach had its flaws,
    I wish we'd never let these two ***** through our doors.

They promised us money, and a flashy new ground,
    But that turned to **** when no loans could be found.
    And speaking of loans, they said 'none' when they came,
    But like so many promises it turned out to be lame.

'We'll sign Snoogy Doogy, if one can be found',
    But then you'll um over a defender for 4 million pounds?
    Tell Rafa he can't sign who he wants on a free,
    And can't even decide who stays and who leaves?

They told Rafa to focus on coaching his team,
    Took the control away from him cause they had the means.
    Stories of them selling were quickly denied,
    But the silence was deafening on the Rafa divide.

Whenever the stories began to die down,
    The flames were fanned by these PR loving clowns.
    Smiling thinking back to the way Rafa 'pouted',
    We'll wipe away your smiles now your agenda's been outed.

Approaching a man not fit to wipe Rafa's arse,
    That you'd mention it in public shows a complete lack of class.
    Consulting him on football also has me intrigued,
    Where's his La Liga's? His Champions League's?

I long for the days when the money didn't matter,
    Money men behind the scenes so we can listen to the Rafas.
    When knowledge of football was required to comment,
    Not PR games from the ***** with big wallets.

But they've picked the wrong battle with the wrong folk this time,
    We won't just lie down when our club's on the line.
    Shanks understood the people were the heart of this club,
    As did Rafa when he came for a drink down the pub.

It's not just for our manager now that we're fighting,
    But for the wrongs of these two fools that we just want righting.
    We know now we should have never sold out to these Yanks,
    And we'll fight till it's them who are walking the plank.

We are the supporters, we've seen the joy and the pain,
    We've followed our team through the wind and the rain.
    Without us there's nothing, these clowns soon will see,
    We are the club. We are Liverpool FC.

maybe RAWK isnt so ****e after all

Never took you to be a reader of RAWK tbh. Only one pool fan here ever linked to it, i thought the realism of most of the fans there would shock you seeing as you are the ultimate optimist.

Realism > optimism tbh ....

d22ontour wrote: »
    Never took you to be a reader of RAWK tbh. Only one pool fan here ever linked to it, i thought the realism of most of the fans there would shock you seeing as you are the ultimate optimist.

Realism > optimism tbh ....

not a Rawk regular tbh, mainly cause there is way too many clowns on that site.

prefer talking about trabs on RAOTL ;)

as for realism and optimism? they need to go hand in hand. was it realistic to expect liverpool to come back from 3 goals down to an amazing AC milan team in the Champions league final?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Yeah...except I posted three strikers. Their job is to score goals. In your list there is four defenders and two defensive midfielders, one of whom has been out all season injured (Alonso) and has two goals to his name. Hyypia also has one. Babel has 6 goals from 25 apperances(only 9 of whcih were starts). Not too bad for a winger. The real problem, in my opinion, is our strikers.

Gerrards 'hollywood' shoots as you call them, are not the problem. The man has scored 12 or 13 goals for us this season. Hes entitled to shoot whenever he wants. Its not as if hes often far off.

Riise on the other hand....has not scored in the league in about a year and a half. Should never be allowed shoot.

eh, yeah u did post the strikers, obviously thats their job, the problem is that no goals come from the rest of the pitch, hyppia's 1 and babels champions league goals dont help much when your trying to close the gap in the league.

the burden on torres and gerrard is huge right now, and yes i did list defenders and denfencive midfielders, they are part of the team, they need to contribute more goals.

as for realism and optimism? they need to go hand in hand. was it realistic to expect liverpool to come back from 3 goals down to an amazing AC milan team in the Champions league final?

I still have the half time texts from scouse buddies who were fearing a dreaded 5:0/6:0 drubbing like you were i am sure.They, like most fans 'and you i am sure' couldn't foresee the amazing comeback.. That's why we love football even if you over-achieved with a poor team.Because in reality it was a poor team that wasn't made to win a league or even challenge as time has shown us...Hence the problems 3/4 years later with the same manager.Winning the greatest prize on offer for a club team in his 1st season doesn't make him susceptible to a sacking when it is clear he cannot mount a serious title challenge? Yeah he got another poor team to a 2nd final but Milan didn't make the same mistake and out-classed you were ,' oh the 5 minute flurry at the end i forgot'.Rafa is a tactical genius when it comes to Europe but i feel he just doesn't get the english way to win a league .Realism since that amazing night in Istanbul still says he won't win the league, optimism says he will be in charge next season ???

I still have the half time texts from scouse buddies who were fearing a dreaded 5:0/6:0 drubbing like you were i am sure.They, like most fans 'and you i am sure' couldn't foresee the amazing comeback

At half time in that game i didnt think we "would" come back and win the game. BUT i did say that we still could if we got one goal and another soon after we "could". the rest is history.
    Winning the greatest prize on offer for a club team in his 1st season doesn't make him susceptible to a sacking when it is clear he cannot mount a serious title challenge????

No it does not make you immune to sacking. BUT its does mean you deserve to be shown some respect and not to have your position publically undermined by the manager.
    Yeah he got another poor team to a 2nd final but Milan didn't make the same mistake and out-classed you were???

In the same way Milan were the better team in Istanbul, we were the better team in Athens. So i dont know where you somewhere think that Milan outclassed us. They won yes, but there was no shame in our defeat.
    Rafa is a tactical genius when it comes to Europe but i feel he just doesn't get the english way to win a league .Realism since that amazing night in Istanbul still says he won't win the league, optimism says he will be in charge next season ???

Rafa is a tactical genius, finally something i agree with! ;)

As for him "gettting" how to win the league in England, i agree, he seems to have difficulty with it, but given time i STILL have no doubt he will get it right, the only question is whether or not he will get the time.

U are somewhat defeating the purpose of wat you are saying;
    realism in istanbul said we wouldnt come back and win that match,
    realism says rafa will never figure out how to win the league.

emmmm, we won in Istanbul!?

Realism is that we are potentially 9 points behind the leaders at this moment in time. Its not too late for the team to get behind Rafa and show him they want him, and mount a challenge. I'm not saying win the league, but be within a few points.

Christ we could beat Utd,Chelsea and Arsenal all away, granted that is extreme optimism BUT sometimes that all you got to cling onto, as on the 25th may 2005.

realism-get our form back,show the world liverpool players still believe in Rafa.

optimism-get our form back,go the rest of the season unbeaten and be there or there abouts at the end of the season.

either way, the players need to start showing they give a **** NOW.

**** it, even if they dont believe in Rafa anymore, they should be showing more than they have, i would anything to represent my club for 10 seconds on the pitch, these ****ers make millions living my dream, the least they can do it ****ing perform.

Here's a song about a football team
    The greatest team you've ever seen
    A team that play total Football
    They've won the league, Europe and all.
    A Liverbird upon my chest
    We are the men, of Shankly's best
    A team that plays the Liverpool way
    And wins the championship in May

“In November, when it appeared we were in danger of not advancing in the Champions League and weren’t playing well in our Premier League matches"
    Monsieur Hicks in the Echo.

Novembers results:

Blackburn away 0 - 0
    Besiktas home 8 - 0
    Fulham home 2 - 0
    Newcastle away 3 - 0
    Porto home 4 - 1

played 5. won 4. drew 1. goals scored 17. goals conceded 1.

Little bit of composure from Kuyt against Blackburn and we had a perfect month.

**** off back to Texas.

The more i think about this, the more hilarious it is, they were seeking advice on European football from Klinsmann who has NEVER managed a club?! they have a man on the pay roll who has been in 2 of the last 3 Champions League finals!!?!!?! wtf does Jurgen know that Rafa doesnt, apart from how to take a dive?!

Seriously, how do newspapers get away with this ****e,

anyone read in todays mirror how Hypia said that we were becoming like Newcastle, always in the papers etc?

i did and as everything was quoted, made the stupid mistake of thinking he actually said it!
    Sami Hyypia today hit back at claims in the national newspapers he had compared Liverpool to Newcastle United.
    "It's not true and I was very disappointed to see the stories," he said. "We've listened back to the tape of the interview and there's absolutely no mention of Newcastle so I've no idea why journallists at the game have fabricated these comments.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158414080114-1743.htm

Sami Hypia, an example to the yanks of the kind of class we are used to having around LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

In the same way Milan were the better team in Istanbul, we were the better team in Athens. So i dont know where you somewhere think that Milan outclassed us. They won yes, but there was no shame in our defeat.

I love Rafa but I felt shame after that game. Confusion, frustration, shame.

We threw nothing at Milan, and made some bizarre defensive substitutions late in the game when we needed to attack, regardless of what our attacking options on the bench were.

• Advertisement

bollox to that man, Arbeloa was a strange one i'll give ya that, but we did go at Milan, we even got one back late on.

the only criticism i've always had of Rafa is that i think he leaves it too late to change things, at the week end he brought Babel straight on at half time when things werent going our way, cant ever remember him doing that before, maybe now he is happier with the players he can bring on, confident they can change things. he is learning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement