Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Crouchy offers so much more than Voroninin/Kuyt.

C'mon - surely people can see the comic value in Kuyt by now. All you have to do is play the Benny Hill music in your head whenever he's in shot and its great - especially if he's chasing someone bald. Even better get a recording of the music and switch it on when he's around. Its brightened up the last few matches for me anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

PHB wrote: »
    According to Sky TV guide, it's on Sky Sports 2. Kinda annoyed, considering it's going to be a complete walkover and Reading vs. Spurs is actually gona be a good game.

Its all about giving Luton more money, TV game gives them more money. Was every one bar Liverpool fans not complaining last week when Liverpool did not give them their gate from the 1st game, now when Sky have the game on TV to give Luton more money people are complaining.

Plus Sky are hoping for an upset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Was every one bar Liverpool fans not complaining last week when Liverpool did not give them their gate from the 1st game

Not every Liverpool fan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Everton fan here, in peace.
    You Liverpool fans please disregard all this nonsense about giving up gate money to Luton. Their financial problems have nothing to do with Liverpool or any other club, they are of their own making and it’s up to them to sort it, or go out of business. Liverpool has issues of their own to worry about and Luton’s money worries are not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Its all about giving Luton more money, TV game gives them more money. Was every one bar Liverpool fans not complaining last week when Liverpool did not give them their gate from the 1st game, now when Sky have the game on TV to give Luton more money people are complaining.

Plus Sky are hoping for an upset

i doubt luton are skys interest, they couldnt give a ****e really

they probably are hoping for an upset, magic of the cup and all that

and of course, most liverpool fans will watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

sky make money from adds,an advertiser knows that more people will watch liverpool play anyone than spurs and reading put together,so thats why it aint on tv,more viewers = more money for sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

****ed. That said, Fergie has the track record in the league that Rafa does not. It's all about faith in the manager, and when Rafa was told by the owners to concentrate on results, he couldn't deliver. It's a cruel world at the top, but if you don't show steady progress, even when you are rebuilding, you are gona get fired.

I'm not defending the actions of the owners in how they dealt with the media. That said, I think Rafa was equally immature about the whole situation at the start.

To be fair fergie had 7 years of trying and team building so STFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Whats this talk about Man Utd being able to attract any manager and Liverpool not. Both teams could attract the best of the best of whats available. Both would be highly attractive positions for any manager. Although at the moment Liverpool maybe not so much because they are in the papers constantly and seem to be badly run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Not every Liverpool fan ;)

I was glad they did not give them the money too. I mean Liverpool did not cause the mismanagment of Lutons money or people dipping into it.

Liverpool have their own debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can't imagine many managers turning down Liverpool to be honest, unless they don't want to manage in England in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I can't imagine many managers turning down Liverpool to be honest, unless they don't want to manage in England in general

Same here. In fact I'd see Liverpool as being more attractive to the big name managers in some ways - ignoring current crap going on at LFC for a minute. Utd's team is built, it's winning, all the hard work is done really - someone who walks in there wouldn't need to do a huge amount so it wouldn't be much of a challenge. Liverpool on the other hand is in the process of rebuilding (and has been for 20 odd years now), has huge potential and would be seen as a challenge. Those who like to prove their worth and challenge themselves would find Liverpool hard to turn down.

On the other hand the behind the scenes stuff at Liverpool atm could put people off the job but then look at the politics and crap that goes on at say Real Madrid - doesn't stop people wanting that gig.

Well it is going to be hard to succeed Ferguson. Will utd fans have patience if a new manager comes in and wants to change the way they play or the players that are there ? It would be a tough job and they would be expected to win year in year out. On the other hand, there is a great squad there so cant see many managers turning the job down.

With Liverpool, I think it may be even more attractive. Whatever manager wins the league with Liverpool next will instantly become a legend with the fans and will go down in history as breaking the 18+ year wait for the title. Theres a really good spine to the team already in place, new stadium on the way and the fans are known to be patient and very supportive. Cant see many turning that job down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Pains me to say but I can't think of many other better jobs than the Liverpool one. Huge club, great support and would be financially backed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Anyone want to predict a score for the game tonight? I'm going to go with a 2:0 scoreline. Both goals to come early. Kuyt to get at least one. I'd love if Carragher managed to pop one in at the Kop end too :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Itandje, Hyypia, Riise, Gerrard, Torres, Alonso, Crouch, Pennant, Arbeloa, Babel, Carragher.
    Subs - Martin, Kewell, Aurelio, Kuyt, Lucas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

malice_ wrote: »
    Anyone want to predict a score for the game tonight? I'm going to go with a 2:0 scoreline. Both goals to come early. Kuyt to get at least one. I'd love if Carragher managed to pop one in at the Kop end too :).

I'm hoping for at least a 4/5 nil scoreline, and yeah it'd be great if Carra got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gerrard, Torres, Pennant, Arbeloa all start.

Itandje
    Arbeloa-Carragher-Hyypia-Riise,
    Pennant-Gerrard-Alonso-Babel
    Torres-Crouch

Subs - Martin, Kewell, Aurelio, Kuyt, Lucas.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Itandje

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Hyypia
    Riise(Why?)

Pennant
    Alonso
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres
    Crouch

should be far too strong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Forget predicting the scoreline, this is far better. How many shots will Riise baloon into the stands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Extremely strong, but no point in resting since the Villa game isn't on till monday. Should be a walk in the park.

• Advertisement

4 at least

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Riise to score 2 belters and have thousands of people claiming they never said a bad word against him.

4-0.

I think 5-0 with Riise having at least 4 shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

5-0, Riise will not score but it won't stop him trying every chance he gets. I reckon a Torres hat-trick, Gerrard and Crouch.

Jesus, Don Hutchison is playing in the centre of Lutons defence. Torres is going to have a field day.

I'll go for a Torres hat trick, Crouchy and a Carra penalty.

20 minutes in, one way traffic as expected. Luton are holding out well so far though. Crouch had a chance which he headed wide, Babel hit the post with a lovely placed shot. Other than that, not too much for Luton to worry about though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Those Luton fans are a funny bunch. First the Harry Enfield scousers gag, now 'Youre getting sacked in the morning!'.

:D

Fair play to Luton. Defended really well. Babel is so frustrating, one minute he looks top class, the next he looks very ordinary. Hopefully that will iron out with more games. I think he should be played week in week out.

Also, Gerrard should never be allowed take corners.

We are 1 up you know! :p

(This site is on its arse tonight).

I doubt Luton will be able to keep up thier workrate up. A few late goals I'd say.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

nice finish from babel on the break.

Liverpool seen to be only able to score when its on the break, when it comes to the defence in formation they dont know what to do.

Final score 2 or 3 nil hope fully crouch and torres get 1 each.

A rout would be good for no one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Do Mike Newell's eyebrows behave completely independently from his head?

yayamark wrote: »
    nice finish from babel on the break.

Liverpool seen to be only able to score when its on the break, when it comes to the defence in formation they dont know what to do.

Final score 2 or 3 nil hope fully crouch and torres get 1 each.

A rout would be good for no one.

7-0 please

Babel x 2
    Torres x 2
    Gerrard
    Crouch
    Carragher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Liverpool may only be one up but with a bit of luck they could easily have been 3 or 4 up. Luton have nothing to lose so it will either go Luton's way and they will get a goal and bring it to extra time or more likely they leave open gaps and Liverpool will win by 5 or 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Surely the latter

The goal before half time would have crushed luton's confidence. Hopefully, they can regain composure or else there could be another couple of goals early on in the 2nd half which could lead to a rout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

there's the first Riise bomb......

Luton appear well up for it, as has been said they've not got much to lose. Would like to Lucas being brought on sometime soon. Give him a chance to gel with the others

Goal

Gerrard

sloppy play by Luton giving ball away on half way, deep ball in and Crouch lay off for Stevie G to head it in

I'm aware that the site is slow as hell for some......so seeing as I can actually post.....

its 3-0

Hypia with a header inside the 6 yard box, took a bit of deflection on the way in but they all count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I really thought Gerrard was going to burst that. Fair play tho,nice finsih.

I thought Kuyt was injured? Papers today had picks of him on the deck in training.

Gerrard has got his second just now. Luton seem to have imploded pretty much.

Kuyt has just come on for Crouch.

Torres hasn't been that great tonight I think. Been a bit hit and miss, was expecting him to get a few tonight when the floodgates opened up. To be fair though, Luton have stuck pretty tight to him and sat back fairly deep to prevent his runs.

Times like these I wish we had a Ronaldinho type player, for when teams get bodies back behind the ball.

• Advertisement

Gerrard hat trick, bit of a screamer from way out.

Seemingly according to SKy the last Liverpool player to score a hat trick in the FA cup was Collymore! Jesus thats a long time back now.

Lucas has just come on for stevie G, and Aurelio has come on for Torres. Would imagine that Babel will slot in beside Kuyt or play a bit off him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

5-0, Gerrard's hattrick and then he's replaced by Lucas.

Riise aiming for the stars still

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

great 5 -0 win over luton.

I know match was over when gerard and torres went off but we did not have a ****in clue what to do with the ball when they were subbed.

Kuyt god love him, i would do better and im crap, all he does is run around aimlessly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Riise is a disgrace. Not only is he a shocking player (despite what Andy Gray says), but he is so selfish it's unreal. Only thinking about his goal tally. He's ruining my life. I can't enjoy victories like this because i'm so angry at him.

Babel done well tonight. So did Pennant and obviously Gerrard.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Gerrard played well and all goals were nicely taken. Babel actually played really well. Started with a lovely shot that hit the post but then went off the boil for the rest of the half with a few bad passes. In the second he was very good and always looked dangerous. Thought he was very unselfish a few times and made some great passes. Apart from that, no one really stood out. It was a good team performance overall.

[edit] Actually Pennant played well also. Came inside a lot more than usual but his passing was v.good.

mike65 wrote: »

Gerrard was very good from start to finish, made a lot fo the trademark runs and got the ball moving quickly at pretty much every chance.

Defence had very littlw work to do, Arbeloa looked good coming forward though, seems to be becoming more and more settled with every game i see anyways. Riise was as he ususally has been in the recent past. If a decent offer came in, he should go.

Midfield was ok....seemed to be a lack of ideas from Alonso, though certainly not as bad as he had been, slowly coming back to form I'd think. Wingers looked ok, Pennant played at his level really, Babel drifted but definitely showed moments of his class, and he is young, I'd say he'll come good over the course of the next season or 2.

Up front Torres wasn't really that great, but he can be forgiven and got a hard enough time from the Luton defence. Crouchy showed some good touches, his lack of games showed a bit i felt. He and Torres need a run of games together to build an understanding. Still feel that they are far and away our best pairing.

Kuyt continued to hsi best, unfortunately, that means his comes across as a Labrador with Alzheimers. Can't fault his heart and effort though

Funny interview from Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Damn you desperate housewife!! Can someone post the rafa interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

anyone care to tell us what he said? missed it. thanks :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement