Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea thats definately a good move alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

jonny24ie wrote:
    Baptista is a good player on his day and Rafa has been known to get the best out of players.
    I know Rafa worked miracles in the past (Champions League winner Djimi Traore for example) but I think Baptista would be too much of a stretch.
    jonny24ie wrote:
    I would drool at the thoughts of any of the above (Messi, Deco and Ronaldinho) playing for us!!
    As would I but my point was that you shouldn't form an opinion on a player based on one game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

malice_ wrote:
    As would I but my point was that you shouldn't form an opinion on a player based on one game.

Agreed: But I had seen footage of Baptista before he played for Real and he looked like a really good player!!
    But seeing the quotes from him is shocking so I wouldn't want him near the club!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I wouldn't be terribly upset to see Crouch leave to be honest. He has done fairly well for us, and it'd probably be better if he stayed, but he isn't integral to the team. If the central midfielders are happy in their situation, then he certainly should be. It is of course good that someone wants to play as often as they can, but to expect to be a regular starter i na squad that big is something only a few can do (Carra, Gerrard, Reina, Agger probably the only few.)

If he does go we do need someone for cover there, but I doubt it will be a big name, even if we do get a good chunk of money for Crouch. It'll probably be some random Spaniard for about 3 million or so though. I hope it is not Baptista though.

Reina-Agger-Carra-Alonso-Gerrard-Torres are all guarunteed starters pretty much. And you can almost add Pennant and Riise(last year)/Arbeloa(this year) to that bunch as well. Thats 8 players in the team, that in reality feature pretty much week in week out. Think the media is just in love with the idea of giving Rafa stick for rotation, when in reality he doesn't mix it up that much! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Reina-Agger-Carra-Alonso-Gerrard-Torres are all guarunteed starters pretty much. And you can almost add Pennant and Riise(last year)/Arbeloa(this year) to that bunch as well. Thats 8 players in the team, that in reality feature pretty much week in week out. Think the media is just in love with the idea of giving Rafa stick for rotation, when in reality he doesn't mix it up that much! :)

Dont think Alonso is a guaranteed starter this season. With Sissoko impressing and Mascherano being...well, Mascherano I dont think his place is nearly as safe as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Tusky wrote:
    Dont think Alonso is a guaranteed starter this season. With Sissoko impressing and Mascherano being...well, Mascherano I dont think his place is nearly as safe as it was.

agreed. i havent seen anything from alonso on a consistant level in about a year that would merit an automatic starting spot.

i know he's one of rafas golden boys but i'd have mascherano in there before him right now, he just looks the more complete, consistant perfomer.

i think alonso will really have to earn his spot this year, and theres alot of competition.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

does finnan not get a look in?
    pennant played the most games last year so he deffo should be there.

would disagree on alonso too, he is only deffo if gerrard is injured imo.

oh yea can't believe i left Finnan out! ok, replace Alonso with Finnan and my point still remains the same, he doesn't rotate nearly as much as people make out!

i agree about the Alonso thing, i'd play Masch ahead of him myself at the minute, but since he's been at liverpool he has been a near definate pick week in week out and that hasn't changed . . .yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I don't think Crouch's post-match interview was as negative as some people are saying, he just badly wants to be in the first team, which is understandable. To be honest I think he's a bit demoralised as he realises he's fallen down the pecking order. Obviously if he stays that way he's not doing anybody any favours by hanging around, but I think and hope he'll eventually get over himself and try to play his way back into favour. Wouldn't like to see him leave as he's such a unique player, a good personality and capable of so much.

^^^^ agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

When the media say he rotates I think it gives a general view that he basically has a different team out from the week before.
    The term I think they should be using is tinkered or forced changes as some of the teams I seen him put out were because of injuries / suspensions to players from the week before.

Does that make sense ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Rafa's happy with the squad and doesn't think he'll bring in any new players before friday: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156847070830-1409.htm

Maybe Carra will be back sooner than we thought, or else he's gonna lot Hobbs step up?

EDIT: He apparently went for Ujfalusi, but the player wasn't interested: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2695391,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

EDIT: He apparently went for Ujfalusi, but the player wasn't interested: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2695391,00.html

Talk of Boumsong:eek: as well

http://www.thesoccerblog.org/premiership/liverpool-bid-for-juventus-defender/

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Stky10 wrote:
    Talk of Boumsong:eek: as well
    Someone is trying to wind someone up I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

5starpool wrote:
    Someone is trying to wind someone up I think.
    I even prefer the Traore rumour over the Boumsong rumour!

What next? Titus Bramble....

Can hardly believe we missed out on Zat Knight and Ian Harte :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Stky10 wrote:

To be honest if he was cheap, he'd be grand for 4th choice CB, id be quite happy with that. I think a lot of his crapness at Newcastle came from playing with Bramble. Now i dont think he's great by any stretch, but that amplified it. Had a decent season last year with Juve.

Edit> just had a look and it seems he can be got for 3.5mill euro's, about 2.35mill pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Just saw on LFC who we could be drawn against in Champions League... Not really too scared at all, really confident that we can take any team. Which is great news for us.

BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Cech beats Reina to CL goalie of the year. They met eachother in the semis-who came out on top there Uefa?!!?! BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gerrard and Carra lost out aswell. Deservedly though. Maldini and Seedorf were immense in Europe last season.

We've got Porto so far. Should be able to beat them.
    Bet we draw MArseille next!
    EDIT: I knew it!! Cisse's gonna play the best game of his life.

• Advertisement

ha ha ha marseille it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

You lot have it piss easy!!

makes a change!

Yup, it's a nice enough group. Utd's group looks fun. Roma will be out for revenge, but then they haven't really strengthened their squad (infact they lost Chivu).

Group A:
    Liverpool
    Porto
    Marseille
    Besiktas

Should be able to come out on top of that group! Now to start making my Fantasy CL team!

never done a CL fantasy football, where i do that??? :)

we won it in Wembely, we won it gay Paris,
    in 77 & 84 it was Rome,
    We won it 5 times,
    we won it 5 timmmmeeeessssss,
    In Istanbul, we won it 5 times.

Its only on loan,
    its only on looooooaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn,
    we're going to moscow- to bring it back home!

come on you reds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

handy enough. never fun to go to turkey though, hopefully it wont be a place to have to go to needing a result

Last time we were in group A we won it....is that a sign?

miller you can do the fantasy CL on the uefa site. It's not up yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good group to my eyes. Given the strength in depth of the CL these days I don't think matters a whit if Liverpool finish top or second but Pool will finish top naturalment!

On Crouchy I did'nt see the interview so can't comment on that but anyone who says sure we can do without him might rethink that if Torres got a big "hello from me" tackle from some neanderthal central defender.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Porto v Liverpool - 18/09
    Liverpool v Marseille - 3/10
    Besiktas v Liverpool - 24/10
    Liverpool v Besiktas - 6/11
    Liverpool v Porto - 28/11
    Marseille v Liverpool - 11/12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A bet on Marseille in the last game would be good value now, pool have a good chance of being qualified by then and sending out a weak weak team like last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Banned.

Oooooooh! What did he say?

Mike.

was wondering the same thing myself mike!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote:

Check the reported posts forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Nice draw for us. Easily get top of the group. Can't wait for Besiktas game and Marseille, Beskitas against Spurs last season, the crowd sounded like pitbulls for the entire 90.
    Gerrard out of Derby game.

how do ya check that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

defientely out, ah nuts, will have to do a shuffle in my fantasy team, was hoping he might bag a few goals.
    is the game on setanta (or anywhere?) tomorrow?? (i dont have the liverpool package!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    I got the text of the offending post in my e-mail through the Boards thread update function but I wouldn't like to give him the recognition of re-posting it here. I can PM it though if anyone is that interested.

• Advertisement

yea will ya PM it to me please!

happy birthday btw Dub13! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Pako Ayesteran is leaving!!!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2007/08/31/reds-assistant-boss-set-to-quit-anfield-100252-19716596/

This is bad news indeed. Benitez and Pako have been a team for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

CRAPOLA, hope this dosnt upset the team moral in anyway, who will rafa replace him with....kevin keegan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

malice_ wrote:
    I got the text of the offending post in my e-mail through the Boards thread update function but I wouldn't like to give him the recognition of re-posting it here. I can PM it though if anyone is that interested.
    Yes please

Just saw it - he came all the way over just to post that. What a tit.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I don't see the point of all these PMs. Basically he typed out a manc chant to the tune of "We won it 5 times" that references the Hillsborough disaster.

Mystery over.

Its one thing abusing a fellow poster in the heat of an arguement, which IMO can be excused, but that kind of ugly, unwarranted, hateful commentary is inexcusable.

RedandWhiteKop had the scoop yesterday evening but like a tit I did'nt report it here. One name mentioned as a replcement is Gary McAlister who I like every Pool fan would like to see back at the club as a coach though whether he has the technical nouse to take up such a role is another matter.

I guess we'll know how final this is tomorrow at 3 pm.

http://i18.tinypic.com/5xz737m.jpg

Mike.

gary macca back at the club would be super! :)

that above posted sounds like a right proper cu*t (in the words of danny dyer)

i hope he is just banned for good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Guys, you can now get liverpoolfc.tv over WAP. Just txt REDS to 57402 and get the free link. I could post it but it's very long winded!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

pm to me, sounds juicy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement