Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Any links to the pic's ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

guys, i just got this in an email from a fellow supporter. I've no idea how legit it is but I thought you might be interested.

========================================

Mark this date in your calendars - February 18th 2008. Massive press conference being planned at Anfield as we speak. The club has been sold to DIC for 375 million pounds that will give the current owners $710 million - a $70 million profit. Al Ansari, CEO of DIC has completed his due diligence.

The players and staff were made aware of this prior to the Luton game.

Rafa's job is safe but he has to bring in an assistant, this will be Gary McAllister. Rick Parry who offended members of DIC last year, will 'step down' and the new owners will bring in David Dein as a replacement.

No more money will be available for transfer's in the January window as the current owners will not sanction any deals, unless players are sold.

The Summer will see massive player investment from DIC, believed to be in the region of 85 million + whatever is made from player sales. This could see a transfer budget of around 115 million. This is not a rumour, this is all ligit. Remember who told you the Americans had brought the club, four days before it was released and who let you guys know that Fernando Torres had signed a deal a full week before the press even got wind of it. Thats me. From Anfield Insider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

David Dein ? The guy who is chairman of Red & White which owns near 15% of Arsenal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Posted a bit back by Mike65.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Rafa's job is safe? God I really hope not. We will never win the PL with him at the helm, 115 million player investment or not.

I just found out that the email I got was originally from someone who works in the Liverpool Echo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

G&H have already said they aren't willing to sell. That email thingy was before G&H said that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

was that not posted a few days ago?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    G&H have already said they aren't willing to sell. That email thingy was before G&H said that.

Does that mean they definately dont want to sell?

If they were to say they are selling, it would affect watever potential bids they might see coming their way, you know this PHB.

Gillette doesnt want to sell, Hicks has said he does not want to sell, but they may not have much of a choice in the matter, especially Gillette.

But that email, i dont think originated from the Echo. It originated from that dodgy "anfield insider" site. They have got some things right in the past, but most people are of the opinion they are a scam and i'd tend to believe em.

However all the other stories doing the rounds lead me to believe there is definately something a-brewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

er, so what does all this mean for LFC in plain terms? I'm baffled by all these long posts, DCI, Hicks etc!

definitely..where theres smoke..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I just got the email too, it must be true !

Especially the Gaz McAllister bit :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Remember guys, only stories that shed Liverpool FC in a negative light can be viewed as legitimate in this thread (Klinsmann, Rafa about to be sacked, etc.).. "sounds plausible".

Anything which involves light at the end of tunnels is idle and doubtful speculation that
    should be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Everyone seems to make an effort and then there's Torres, Bable, Voronin and Masch all just in their normal clothes. Pepe went as the Queen and apparently Lucas was dressed as Geri Halliwell.

The 4 in their regular clothes wouldn't have been around last year so probably thought it was a wind up. As you say - a lot of the lads put serious effort into it and then there's Kewell - last year a cricketer iirc and this year a marathon runner - I mean could he not be a little bit more imaginative :rolleyes:

zing wrote: »
    The 4 in their regular clothes wouldn't have been around last year so probably thought it was a wind up. As you say - a lot of the lads put serious effort into it and then there's Kewell - last year a cricketer iirc and this year a marathon runner - I mean could he not be a little bit more imaginative :rolleyes:

rumour has it riise went as a left back :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zing wrote: »

So Kewell get sa roll eyes for , in your opinion, not making enough effort, but the others are ok for making no effort at all? Other playeers were new last year and still dressed up.

Plus I'm sure they could find out easy enough if they were being wound up.

in fairness if anyone deserves stick for not making the effort, its danny agger, he wore the same costume pretty much that gerrard wore last year.

tut tut tut, must try harder danny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Lucas is new and wore a costume... but we digress it's hardly important who dresses up (or is it?)

• Advertisement

Lucas is new and wore a costume... but we digress it's hardly important who dresses up (or is it?)

Im of the opinion that alll the lads havign a good laugh while out together is a good thing. Team bonding etc.

I think aurelio was a Transsexual in the last series of nip tuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

stroies of hick's dody dealing with previous football clubs in argentina and brazil have been exposed in other forums,apperantly he has destroyed two football clubs already and liverpool is next,what he does is come in and promise new stadiums etc then never build them or deliver promises,then load the debt on the club and basically ruin them,unless hicks sells his shares liverpool are ****ed,gillette is ok,he has the clubs best intrests but hicks is a cock,who will destroy this club

future aint looking too bright tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

dc69 wrote: »
    stroies of hick's dody dealing with previous football clubs in argentina and brazil have been exposed in other forums,apperantly he has destroyed two football clubs already and liverpool is next,what he does is come in and promise new stadiums etc then never build them or deliver promises,then load the debt on the club and basically ruin them,unless hicks sells his shares liverpool are ****ed,gillette is ok,he has the clubs best intrests but hicks is a cock,who will destroy this club

If this were the case, why would Gillette be going 50/50 with him, if Gillette had the best interests of the club at heart.

That can't go hand in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

North Haverbrook? Ogdenville?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Surely that would of been revealed far sooner(when they took over) if it was true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

The-Rigger wrote: »
    If this were the case, why would Gillette be going 50/50 with him, if Gillette had the best interests of the club at heart.

That can't go hand in hand.

becuase originally gilletee wanted the club himself.moores wouldnt sell it to him alone because of whatever reason,gillette had to get a partner quick,because dic were about the get the sale,so he had very little time to source a partner,maybe a few day or weeks. and he got hicks.(probly regreting it now)

best case senario now is that dic buy hicks stake,as they will produce money even though they will only be a 50/50 partner and people are saying that dic always planned to sell after 7 years and this could destroy the club,gillettes 50% involvement would bring stability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

DSB wrote: »
    North Haverbrook? Ogdenville?

...and Brockway? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Momorail?

All together now!....Monorail, Monorail, MONORAIL!! ...Mono...D'oh!!

Is there a chance the track could bend?

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Is there a chance the track could bend?

'Not on your life, my Hindu friend'

...this could go on a while!:D

people are saying that dic always planned to sell after 7 years and this could destroy the club,gillettes 50% involvement would bring stability

Think you may be getting the wrong end of the stick:

rumour is that the dubai crowd had a 7 year exit plan for if things went tits up, and that this is why Moores and Parry choose the American bid instead.

i think that is absolute bull****, you can bet you bottom dollar every single person who is going to be investing 300 million pounds or watever in a football club is going to have some sort of "plan b" if things arent going to plan, they includes DIC,the Yanks,Shinawatra,Ashley and Abramovich, they are not as successful as they are without having wise heads on their shoulders.

think this was just used as an excuse to accept the american bid which was better for the shareholders, despite the rest of the details not being as impressive.

The "7 year exit plan" was then leaked to the media, which meant fans felt they had dodged a bullet with DIC, as opposed to asking why we were accepting the bid of two moderatly successful (in the super rich scale) american business men who have no idea about liverpool over a bid from one of the worlds most successful companies, forwarded by a lifelong "match-going" liverpool fan who was back by a man who could buy gillette and hicks and make them feed him peanuts all day if he was so inclined.

imo, perfect situation would be for DIC to **** Gillette,Hicks and Parry out.

After that, yea i suppose gillette is the lesser evil of the other two by a long shot.

Source: Liverpoolfc.tv

John Arne Riise has revealed the secret behind his goalscoring drought. The usually prolific full-back has yet to find the net this season, something he puts down to a change in emphasis on the training ground.

Riise, who has scored 31 goals in his time at Anfield, has been told to focus first and foremost on his defending.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I think I put all the pressure on myself because this is my seventh season.
    "People are expecting me to score some cracking goals but this year I am focusing on my defending and I want to do the best as a defender.
    "I know I am now 90 per cent a defender but then if I score, happy days.

"I want to be a good defender and I am working on it on the training pitch. I am trying to improve and the manager tells me to focus more on the defence.
    "I am just trying to show the fans and the manager I am a good defender. I am a left back and I want to defend well for my side."

Riise admits he hasn't always hit the peaks of previous campaigns this term.
    The 27-year-old knows this inevitably leads to transfer rumours but is adamant he sees his future at Anfield.

"It has been a weird season for me, I have played some good games and then some not at my level," he said.

"When we get to the transfer window all the rumours start going around. It is mainly because people know I have one-and-a-half years left on my contract.
    "The fans know that I am very happy here. Hopefully the club will give me a new contract so that I can stay in Liverpool for many years.

"I am in the mood to play my best football and enjoy playing. I will do my best in the second part of the season."

lol
    Dubai International Capital - the investment arm of the Dubai Government - is to launch a £500m bid to buy Liverpool Football Club.

BBC Sport understands the offer is in the process of being made to American co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

DIC was originally thought to be ready to make an offer for Hicks' 50% share, despite his insistence that he is unwilling to discuss a sale.

But DIC is now poised to make an offer for the complete buy-out of the pair.
    DIC was close to buying the club in January 2007, but pulled out when Liverpool refused to agree to a deadline on the deal and moved into advanced negotiations with Hicks and Gillett.

But Gillett and Hicks' reign has caused turmoil on and off the pitch at Liverpool, and DIC has always maintained their interest despite the collape of the previous deal.

Gillett and Hicks are currently attempting to finalise terms on a £350m loan that would enable them to repay money borrowed for their £219m takeover, repay loans used to sign players, and enable them to start work on a re-scaled plan for a new stadium in Stanley Park.

DIC's offer will be made swiftly to present the American duo with a get-out clause before they take out the massive loan.

Hicks, in particular, is under pressure after being subjected to heavy criticism from fans following public disagreements with popular manager Rafael Benitez.

He has also come under fire for his public admission that talks had been held with Jurgen Klinsmann about possibly succeeding the Spaniard.

Liverpool fans will turn up the heat on Gillett and Hicks with an orchestrated protest at Monday night's game against Aston Villa.

Website Reclaim The Kop issued a statement claiming they were "not fit to be associated with our club" and banners criticising the Americans and calling on DIC to launch a bid were held aloft on The Kop during the FA Cup win against Luton.

Liverpool supporters are also concerned at how much of the £350m loan will be shifted on to the club's books - with crippling interest payments.

They will also have to fund the £300m stadium plan, with a decision expected soon after two new designs were studied by Gillett and Hicks, along with chief executive Rick Parry, in New York earlier this month.

A spokeman for the Americans said on Thursday: "Any suggestion Hicks and Gillett are contemplating a sale of the club or any portion of it is categorically untrue."

DIC backed away from a £150m price tag for a 15% stake in Liverpool last October, but the financial uncertainty surrounding the club has increased and there is hope a new offer will prove more tempting.

Sounds like good news for some fans.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Source: Liverpoolfc.tv

John Arne Riise has revealed the secret behind his goalscoring drought. The usually prolific full-back has yet to find the net this season, something he puts down to a change in emphasis on the training ground.

Riise, who has scored 31 goals in his time at Anfield, has been told to focus first and foremost on his defending.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I think I put all the pressure on myself because this is my seventh season.
    "People are expecting me to score some cracking goals but this year I am focusing on my defending and I want to do the best as a defender.
    "I know I am now 90 per cent a defender but then if I score, happy days.

"I want to be a good defender and I am working on it on the training pitch. I am trying to improve and the manager tells me to focus more on the defence.
    "I am just trying to show the fans and the manager I am a good defender. I am a left back and I want to defend well for my side."

Riise admits he hasn't always hit the peaks of previous campaigns this term.
    The 27-year-old knows this inevitably leads to transfer rumours but is adamant he sees his future at Anfield.

"It has been a weird season for me, I have played some good games and then some not at my level," he said.

"When we get to the transfer window all the rumours start going around. It is mainly because people know I have one-and-a-half years left on my contract.
    "The fans know that I am very happy here. Hopefully the club will give me a new contract so that I can stay in Liverpool for many years.

"I am in the mood to play my best football and enjoy playing. I will do my best in the second part of the season."

Wondered how long it'd be till someone found that.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lol

fingers crossed it all works out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

lol

Its getting to the stage that I'm starting to believe these stories. There has been a new one every day from dozens of sources. Surely there cant be smoke without fire in this instance ?

I want it to be true anyway.

Well to be honest, I think it's doutful that DIC aren't interested in still buying. I'm sure they want to make a bid. The question is will G&H accept? Obviously everybody has a price, then once again the question is whether DIC are willing to give G&H the profit that they want.

I do however think the only difference between DIC and G&H is that one can get the new stadium built, in nearly every other aspect, they will be the exact same. Maybe they will fire Rafa, maybe not, but they are still business men just like G&H.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if the story is correct they will be getting about ~115m pounds ($226m) each in profit. I dont see why you would turn that down...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll be the fastest fortune the pair will ever make. I'd take it.

PHB you talk like the stadium was a secondary matter, Arsenal have shown us all how to generate income and Liverpool have to follow as (you'll agee with this) DIC won't shovel money into a transfer kitty for the hell of it. If this goes through in time (before May), I reckon they give Rafa at least till January 2009 and a net 25 million for summer spends. If he does'nt make it work he'll be gone.

Mike.

If you look at the transfer figures, Arsenals net spend since the opening of the stadium has been about 760,000 pound a year.
    DIC would have to committ to a significant loss over the coming years, not just in the overvaluation of the club that they are gona have to play, but in terms of the costs of construction. There's a reason Arsenals spending has dropped, because they are servicing the costs of the stadium.

What DIC are gona do is really unknown, just like they were with G&H. The difference between them? No debt. Maybe they want to keep Rafa, maybe they don't. Will be there a significant increase in transfer budgets? Does it make business sense? United's net spend since the Glazers have taken over is about 10 million a year.

Press reports saying Juve in with 7 million bid for Sissoko (he'll be going with Olof Mellberg) paid for by Tiago Mendes sale to Spurs.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If you look at the transfer figures, Arsenals net spend since the opening of the stadium has been about 760,000 pound a year.
    DIC would have to committ to a significant loss over the coming years, not just in the overvaluation of the club that they are gona have to play, but in terms of the costs of construction. There's a reason Arsenals spending has dropped, because they are servicing the costs of the stadium.

What DIC are gona do is really unknown, just like they were with G&H. The difference between them? No debt. Maybe they want to keep Rafa, maybe they don't. Will be there a significant increase in transfer budgets? Does it make business sense? United's net spend since the Glazers have taken over is about 10 million a year.

You're right, we don't know how they are going to handle things. What I do know is that G+H are not the right people to own the club. They cant be worse than the Yanks surely ? Even if they offer exactly the same amount of transfer funs but the club isnt burdened with debt, then its worth it.

Tusky wrote: »
    Even if they offer exactly the same amount of transfer funs but the club isnt burdened with debt, then its worth it.

exactly.

As pissed off as many Reds have been at least Parry has'nt got this sort of treatment

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2243471,00.html

Mike.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, there's no doubt about it that it's a better deal, as in theres less risk. But the effects of debt, in terms of say lower transfer budgets, increased ticket prices, etc etc are still gona be there, just as they are for United and Arsenal.
    The only difference is that if it goes belly up, DIC will lose money in comparison to the bank owning Liverpool.

Why on earth would DIC be willing to pay £500 million?
    Is this not considerably more than what G&H paid, and the value of the club?

True enough mike. Although i dont think that sort of action has been far off! ;)

Well the thing about valuations is that they are kinda weird. Typically, you really could see football clubs as undervalued, in terms of their assests. Take the property that most clubs alone own are worth a lot of money. Football clubs have been traditionally undervalued, in comparison to say NFL teams with similar stadiums attendences and league positions.

Why would DIC do this? Because even at that elevated level, there's still money to be made. An extra 30000 seats with significant price increases will step it up to a much higher level. Also, in terms of valuations, the increased TV revenue deal will have no doubt pushed up Premiership clubs.

Random question time.

Ignoring the obvious logistics and finances required, What size of a stadium could Liverpool fill regularly in your opinion?

How many seats?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement