Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Answer
    Infinite

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Random question time.

Ignoring the obvious logistics and finances required, What size of a stadium could Liverpool fill regularly in your opinion?

How many seats?

i've been on a waiting list for season tickets for 3/4 years now, apparently it is a 10-20 year wait if the new stadium never happens, i think that shows that we would have no problem filling a 70,000 seater every 2nd week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think there are some restrictions on Liverpool filling out a 70k seater.
    A. Defensive football is never gona help. Not just in terms of the locals, but massively in terms of the day-trippers.
    B. Population is about 1 mill smaller than Manchester, and of course tiny compared to London areas.
    C. Gona be a drop in atmosphere which might turn off some current goers.
    D. Price increases are likely to occur also, or at least desired.

I know Arsenal made the step up, but you have to remember not only do they play extremely pleasant to watch football, they are in London.

Call_me_al I think you aren't really analysing the situation there. There's 45k in there currently. Assuming an even distribution from 18-75, you have about 789 people stopping going each year [very flawed, but the basis point remains in turns of turnover from people who stop going]
    So if theres a 10 to 20 year wait, you have 7.8k or 15.6k on the waiting list.

I'd imagine that at absolute most they have a 20k season ticket waiting list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Well with 29,000 current season ticket holders and various web sources giving a waiting list of anywhere from 14,000 to 60,000 and even the official website giving the following message "Please note, there is currently a waiting list of many years for new season tickets." I'd reckon 20-25k on top of the current 45k would be a safe enough estimate. So a 70,000 seat stadium should be about right, hopefully with some expansion potential.

How many home fans travel from Machester/Blackburn/Brum/London/Glasgow/Dublin/Sheffield/Wales etc? quite a few

Mike.

Sorry when I say day-trippers I don't mean actual fans. I mean people who actually go at most, once a year, maybe once every 3-4 years. A lot of those people go to Old Trafford every week, and they really help fill up the numbers, especially for the crap games as it's all they can get tickets for.
    I'm very wary of trusting those 'waiting lists', consider United used to make similar claims, then once they upped prices, the waiting list was not to be seen :)

PHB wrote: »

Call_me_al I think you aren't really analysing the situation there. There's 45k in there currently. Assuming an even distribution from 18-75, you have about 789 people stopping going each year [very flawed, but the basis point remains in turns of turnover from people who stop going]
    So if theres a 10 to 20 year wait, you have 7.8k or 15.6k on the waiting list.

I'd imagine that at absolute most they have a 20k season ticket waiting list.

tbh i think EVEN if the waiting list was 15k, surely that means there are probably 3/4 more times that who want tickets semi-regularly but havent applied for the season tickets. i know about 5 people who would go often but wouldnt be interested in the season ticket.

Absolutely, there's no denying that Liverpool could pack out 70k for a lot of matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

A. Defensive football is never gona help. Not just in terms of the locals, but massively in terms of the day-trippers.

Is this the same defensive team you were convinced were going to park a bus in front of their box against United and pray for a nil nil draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Don't think they'd regularly fill 70k atm but prob would do ~60k on a very regular basis. The atmosphere will certainly change as it'll be a diff stadium but a clever design can increase noise levels. E.g. the way the kop was to be done in the HKS design was to try and maximise noise from there through the rake of the stand, shape of the roof, etc..

They're also not necessarily looking to fill every seat for every game but if they can increase season ticket sales, etc.. they effectively get a lot of the revenue anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

B. Population is about 1 mill smaller than Manchester, and of course tiny compared to London areas..

I'd imagine the amount of clubs in London more tha dillutes the numbers down to at best equal that of Manchester and Liverpool tough.

Mash off to the Olympics.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3060740,00.html

Of course it only matters to us if someone gets the finger out and signs him :(

Phil McNulty of the BBC reporting on the new proposed takeover now. He's ex Liverpool Echo afaik and still well connected (but I think he's a blue nose).
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7197675.stm

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Anyone who tries to justify their guesses on how or why Liverpool can or cannot justify a 70k seater stadium is talking out their ars*s tbh.

The proof is in the pudding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

!

I've been out of contact, up a mountain in Austria for the past week, seems I missed out on a serious amount of stuff! Just heard last night about Keegan!

From reading through this thread and looking at all the usual football websites it seems the DIC story is really gathering momentum. Hopefully there's truth behind the more optimistic of these stories. to be honest, at the moment the main aim should be financial stability, backing for the new stadium and reasonable budgets for summer spending (sales + 10/15mill), i won't get caught up in rumours of 110million budgets etc!

Gillette has always seemed ok, but i really really want Hicks out asap.

If just Hicks leaves, what's gona be the deal with the loan situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

he sells his half of the kop registered business that himself and gillete own.then the kop business get the loan,with dic putting up 20m and gillete putting up 20m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Interview with Torres translated from El Publico here. Amusingly aggressive interviewer, Torres deals with him easily though - again I'm impressed by how level-headed he seems to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

shotamoose wrote: »
    Interview with Torres translated from El Publico here. Amusingly aggressive interviewer, Torres deals with him easily though - again I'm impressed by how level-headed he seems to be.

Holy **** that interviewer is some piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Nice interviewer, can't believe Torres willingly did that!

He seems so levelheaded for one so young. He'll fast become an Anfield Legend with that attitude and his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

super super interview, love torres.

Interviewer is a bit harsh, he is a classy classy bloke though that torres lad. perfect for liverpool. knows wat it means to play for the club. love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Wow that interviewer was very aggressive alright, Torres handled himself well though. Maxi Rodriguez to Liverpool, not long in the window now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

well. it was definitely agressive. torres handled himself well though. good to see theres a bit of an initiation process at the club for new players, learning the history and all.

Will you still be an Atletico ‘socio’ [member]

- I’ve never been one.

Well, its about time

- What for?

At least it’s a connection

- I don’t need a card to have a connection with the club. I’ve been in that club since I was 10 years old.

And for Liverpool

- I would have to put myself on the waiting list. But I have 40,000 people in front of me

End of the queue lad, end of the queue! :)

• Advertisement

this was my favourite bit;

You seem happy, but what about when Benitez leaves…

- You didn’t see Anfield against Luton?

But the owners are not the supporters

- But the whole thing doesn’t exist. It’s all a lie. Benitez is not going to leave and they won’t sack him. Results aside, I don’t see it happening. I can’t even imagine it. I don’t think English football has lost its patience like it seems. And the newspapers here are not very trustworthy. That’s why they have less effect. I’ve seen interviews being published that I’ve never done. They just make them up.

Who’s your partner, your Ibagaza here?

- Gerrard. It’s easy to form an understanding with him. There’s no need to do anything special. Wherever you run to, he puts the ball. He’s fantastic. If he played for a different team, he’d be even more renowned. But here in England, Liverpool are not so well liked. That’s made him less popular.

Here we go…Just like Atletico, always whining

- No, it’s not that bad. Liverpool are the English club with the most titles, with more mystic, but it wouldn’t seem like it. I didn’t think they were so big before I got here. Perhaps they haven’t been able to sell themselves so well. Or perhaps it’s not in the interest of some people in England that it is known. Because England is London and that’s it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3060532,00.html

Have to say I agree that Cisse had the opertunity to be a great player. Man the guy broke his two legs and still wants to go on.

Speaking of Maxi Rodriguez, he is free in the summer.

Mike.

Cisse isnt a good player. His whole routine is 1 of 2 things. If he has no player to beat he hits it as hard as possible in the vague direction of the goal. If he has a player to beat he runs up to them useing little steps then whacks it in the vague direction of the goal, whether the aforementioned player is still between the ball and goal or not.

He wasnt a Rafa signing and he didnt fancy him as a player. I dotn see the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I like the way you used 'vague direction of the goal' twice

• Advertisement

I wouldn't exactly see Guy Roux as an independent open minded person to give an assessment of Cisse. The two are said to be very close and iirc Roux was Cisse's bestman.

I like the way you used 'vague direction of the goal' twice

Well its the main part of both of his plays. The only differential in the two scenarios is the player that might be in the way in the 2nd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Stekelly wrote: »
    Cisse isnt a good player. His whole routine is 1 of 2 things. If he has no player to beat he hits it as hard as possible in the vague direction of the goal. If he has a player to beat he runs up to them useing little steps then whacks it in the vague direction of the goal, whether the aforementioned player is still between the ball and goal or not.

He wasnt a Rafa signing and he didnt fancy him as a player. I dotn see the problem.

Not saying that Rafa ruined him, the leg breaks hampered him. I really do think that if he didn't break his leg the first time he would have gotten better and done a good job for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DItKXDh12NM

There are some magical moments in this video and plenty of other videos on youtube.

cannot judge players from youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCA76UrfPGk

see wat i mean?! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I thought he had a great few seasons initially but has gone downhill slowly ever since...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He shouldn't of given that overbearing douchebag an interview at all.
    Handled himself great though. :)

Cisse was a waster, sauntered around the pitch, no work rate, throwing his hands in the air anytime a move/through ball didn't work/wasn't passed to him.
    Terrible attitude and he was sh1t before he broke his legs.
    Good riddance.

i cant believe you just said "douchebag"!

Mr Alan wrote: »

see wat i mean?! ;)

Ah I understand that, but I am going what I saw the whole time even when he was in france.

i cant believe you just said "douchebag"!

Was the first thing that came to mind. :p

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Was the first thing that came to mind. :p

Your mind is obviously broken.

• Advertisement

To be fair, Mr Alan has posted far stranger stuff in this thread. :p

ohh reeeealllllllllyyyy! wat would that be? :)

douchebag is a strange one, even by the fairly high standards of "****e talk" i like to set! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

see wat i mean?! ;)

He has scored some fantastic goals for us, it has to be said. I used to really like him. Its a pity.

ohh reeeealllllllllyyyy! wat would that be? :)

douchebag is a strange one, even by the fairly high standards of "****e talk" i like to set! ;)

lol, tongue in cheek, you do come for a bit of a hard time it seems.

its not unusual for a genius not to be appreciated in his own time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Extra Extra read all about it. Tasty reading indeed.
    Rafa of Arabia
    Kop in new £350m buy-out

Exclusive by Chris Bascombe
    LIVERPOOL will be bought for £350million by Dubai International Capital to end the club's American nightmare.

The Arabs are likely to make their move as early as the end of the week to oust owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The Americans, who have had a tempestuous relationship with manager Rafa Benitez, controversially want to dump their debt on Anfield as they seek to re-finance to the tune of £350m. DIC had been negotiating with Gillett in a bid to oust Hicks but now they are determined to buy out BOTH Americans.

Hicks and Gillett can still sign a re-finance package with the Royal Bank of Scotland and American bank Wachovia.

That might give them six months breathing space but could cost them millions and insiders say it would only strengthen DIC's resolve to kick them out.

Debt

The last thing club insiders want is for them to maintain control, even for a few more months.

An Anfield source said: "In a strange way DIC may think it's worth waiting for the Americans' to refinance because it will lessen the value of the club because of the level of debt.

"But the best thing that can happen is for the pair of them to get out now. It's clear the old board has made a huge mistake selling to these two."

super news coming from Bascombe.

So is that a 130 million extra since they bought it in the first place. Wonder what sort of profit they are looking at.

Can they make Rick Parry a makeweight in the deal? He likes America, often goes there on holidays when the transfer window opens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

if this happens and benitez stays and ferguson retires in the next few years,i guarentee liverpool will be like the 80's,they will dominate.these clowns will pour 100's of millions in.regardless of what anyone says.these arabs etc want to proove a point and they will do it.im sure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement