Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We should spend the lot on Jelly-beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Out:

Sissoko - 8m
    Crouch - 10m
    Carson - 8m
    Riise - 5m
    Guthrie - 3m
    Voronin -2m

Total - 36m + 25 m =51m

In:

Mascherano - 17m (though im positive it will be less)
    Striker - 20m (Villa/Benzema(dreaming))
    Winger - 14m (Quaresma?)

I'd also expect a couple of young players to (finally) step it up.
    Nemeth, Insua, Anderson and Hobbs look the most likely in the next year. Maybe even Pacheco.

Whats the situation with Guthrie. IS he going to Bolton permenantly. He's been looking good this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Stekelly wrote: »
    Whats the situation with Guthrie. IS he going to Bolton permenantly. He's been looking good this season.

he has looked good. i wouldn't mind keeping him, if we sell sissoko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guthrie will almost certainly be gone to Bolton (3 million?)

BBC discussion and revalation 22.5 mb download its the first feature.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

For all those proposing we sell Riise and don't buy a LB, you're being silly. Aurelio is usually fit for about 15 games a season on average, over the last 5 or so years. We would end up using a reserve team payer (Isua) as LB for most of the season.

Arbeloa can switch between wings, so getting a dedicated LB would be last on the list of immediate things to do.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Unless of course Arbeloa gets injured, in which case, you're pretty dodgy in the old left back position. That said, I'm not sure Riise there is actually a positive anymore, I think you'd be better off shifting him and finding a cheap replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Besides, Insua would be a more than capable replacement if he performed to even half the level he shows with the reserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Tusky wrote: »
    For all those proposing we sell Riise and don't buy a LB, you're being silly. Aurelio is usually fit for about 15 games a season on average, over the last 5 or so years. We would end up using a reserve team payer (Isua) as LB for most of the season.

the problem at left back is that its just another position where we have 2 players that have no business starting in a championship winning team

aurelio is very injury prone, if he'd been playing week in week out since he joined i've no doubt he'd be a very good contributer to the team, he always gets so far in his progress and then gets injured.

riise's issues for the past couple of years are well documented, he's no great shakes in the defencive department at all, i'm blue in the face looking at his hollywood shots from 40 yards. i'd sell aurelio before i'd sell riise tbh, riise loves the club, has a good atitude and can cover at left back and left wing and is rarely injured.

if it was me i'd sacrifice aurelio, if we got 3 or 4 million for him i'd be pleasently suprised.

we need a top left back, but then we need alot.

I think you guys are under-estimating the importance of left backs. United have Evra, Chelsea have Cole, Arsenal have Clichy. Full backs play an extremely important role in todays game, and you just have to look at Riise to see the effects of a wasteful left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Balague reporting in as.com that a bit (EUR 430m) has been submitted and that G&H have 24hours to respond.

Translation:
    http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.as.com%2Ffutbol%2Farticulo%2Ffutbol-dubai-ofrece-430-millones%2Fdasftbing%2F20080120dasdaiftb_57%2FTes&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=chrome://global/locale/intl.properties&ie=UTF8

I know he's connected to Rafa but not really to the club itself so best to wait for confirmation from other sources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

zing wrote: »
    Balague reporting in as.com that a bit (EUR 430m) has been submitted and that G&H have 24hours to respond.

Translation:
    http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.as.com%2Ffutbol%2Farticulo%2Ffutbol-dubai-ofrece-430-millones%2Fdasftbing%2F20080120dasdaiftb_57%2FTes&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=chrome://global/locale/intl.properties&ie=UTF8

I know he's connected to Rafa but not really to the club itself so best to wait for confirmation from other sources.

To be honest, anything Balague has said before has come true regarding Rafa and Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Translation:

football365 saying similar. though they say 500mill bid.
    http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3063574,00.html

It really seems a case of When rather then If at this point anyway.

Mike, cheers for that audio link, very good listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

looks like a waiting game now. Various reports have sprung over the past 24hrs with more or less the same story. Hopefully one way or another things will get sorted quickly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

"However Hicks this evening released a statement in which he described the latest report as "a complete fabrication and ... absolutely and categorically untrue".

Hicks added: "I have not received any offer to purchase the club from the DIC or anyone else, much less accepted any such offer. Nor do I have any intention of doing so.

"Whoever is behind this false report, the facts are that I and my family have always been, and remain, fully committed to co-owning the club; that no-one in my family has ever indicated any intention or desire to sell our stake in the club; and that we expect and intend to be co-owners of the club, and to actively and enthusiastically support the club's manager, players and fans for many years to come."

Hicks' statement was released to PA Sport through financial and corporate communications consultancy FD.

Reports had claimed yesterday that DIC were set to make an offer for the complete buy-out of the American duo.

The Dubai-based group were close to their own takeover of the Anfield club 12 months ago before the Reds' then chairman David Moores decided to go with the USA investors.

On Thursday a spokesman for Hicks insisted neither of the owners was considering selling their share and both remained fully committed to the club. "

Well, thats us f*cked then.

Boo urns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Down to 6th now. Thanks a lot Wigan and West ham! (Sheffield Utd style gripe even though its our own fault)

I wouldn't lose hope yet, everybody has their price, however since DIC are businessmen, I don't think they are gona go nuts about it.

Tomorrows game is looking very important now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Wouldnt read too much into him saying if he has tbh. He is hardly gonna asy he is considering selling, they'll try and get every last penny from DIC i would imagine. Hard to get and all that.

Or maybe he genuinely isnt selling :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I know Hicks has proved himself to be not the smartest of Texan tycoons, but he's still not likely to come out and say "Yes, we are desperate to sell", or it really would be Advantage Burns / DIC.

Indeed, hang tough and play hardball as he might say. There may be quite a bit of shadow boxing before a sudden announcment.

As for the Villa game, its a biggie allright. Please Rafa Torres/Crouch with Babel on the left wing and Gerrard on the right (won't happen).

Mike.

As regards to the left full situation as well.....

Arbeloa/Aurelio is decent enough, and thats not taking into account Insua who looks very very close to being able to make the step up and seems a great great talent.

Arbeloa has been among our best players this year in his full season and is still only young.

A mate of mine said it to me a while ago too, and wasnt the daftest thought, if this new lad Skertyl is decent and steps in perfectly, it might be worth it to try danny agger out on the left at some point? great composure,quick,good ball player,super defender, could be perfect.

Just out of curiousity Mike, have you always favoured Gerrard on the right?

Not sure! (I'll have to do a search), but I'd sooner Gerrard right (with roaming rights) than Pennant or Yossi. With the options of Masch/Alonso and Lucas in the centre and Yossi really most effective behind the striker(s), I think the G-Unit would be best used wide. Pennant is'nt the worst but if he was sold I would'nt mind.

Mike.

Gerrard is super on the right. Wont happen though, not near as regularly as it should.

And if it did, Sky would explode with anger. particularly messers grey, keys and redknapp.

see the other week when he reached 10 goals, keys (insufferable turd) turns to grey and says, straight faced, so that puts the debate to bed doesnt it? Gerrard is best in the middle,rafa has finally realised that.......with no mention of the fact that Gerrard had his best ever season playing out on the right for 99% of it and scored 23 goals in the process winning the PFA player of the year award.

I dont know why i let them annoy me. but they always do :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Mr Alan wrote: »

I dont know why i let them annoy me. but they always do :(

i know how you feel!

particularly messers grey, keys and redknapp.

You mean messrs? No messers is better actually! :p

Mike.

either or will do for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Arbeloa has been among our best players this year in his full season and is still only young.
    It's amazing how many people, even Liverpool fans, don't realise this. Okay, he was a bit shakey playing at centre half but considering his debut was away against a Barcelona team tipped by many to hammer Liverpool, he did very well. He hit the ground running and hasn't really let his performances dip regardless of whether he's on the left or the right.[/QUOTE]
    Mr Alan wrote:
    A mate of mine said it to me a while ago too, and wasnt the daftest thought, if this new lad Skertyl is decent and steps in perfectly, it might be worth it to try danny agger out on the left at some point? great composure,quick,good ball player,super defender, could be perfect.
    Interesting... He's not the fastest and I've no idea what he's like crossing a ball so I don't know if he would work as a left back. I'm sure Rafa has thought about it though :D.

Agger on the left of a back 3 on the odd occassion we use that formation but not sure about him as a LB. That's probably down to not having seen any indications that he can play that role though. tbh I wouldn't try and move him - let him excel in the role he has rather than also trying to have him fit in some other slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Its probably worth mentioning that the 10% drop in sterling value against the euro may have an effect on Liverpool purchasing players around europe?

I would imagine that extra funds, in terms of bank balances, for such big clubs, are secured not in one currency, but in a basket.

For people saying that Arbeloa can cover for Aurelio if injured and we should sell Riise without buying another LB. Look at it this way.

Finnan---Agger---Carragher--Aurelio
    Arbeloa--Hyypia---Squirtle
    x

Finnan is getting old which means he may get injured easily. With Aurelio likely to spend at least half of every season injured that means if one of Finnan or Arbeloa gets injured as well, we are fairly ****ed. People say Insua is ready, Im not so sure. There is a MASSIVE difference in doing well in the reserves and doing well in the first team. Leto & El Zhar look class in the reserves and very very ordinary in the first team. I would love for us to go out and buy some top quality attacking talent but I still consider LB an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158506080120-1058.htm

Nicolas Anelka has revealed his dismay at not signing for Liverpool on a permanent basis and admits the Reds’ result is the first one he looks for on a Saturday night.
    The France international, who recently made a multi-million pound move to Chelsea from Bolton Wanderers, scored five goals during a loan spell at Anfield back in the 2001/02 season.

But despite a number of impressive displays from the forward, the Reds boss at the time, Gerard Houllier, opted not to take up an option to sign him permanently and Anelka moved to Manchester City instead.

"I have a lot of regrets about Liverpool and theirs is the first result I look for," said Anelka.

"When I went there, I really wanted to sign. It was wonderful and I thought what I did on the pitch was good enough for them to sign me."

Sighs (of course he was still a flighty type back then so it may not have worked out anyway)

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Not a half bad price @ £20, if anyone is interested ... official merchandise, needless to say:

http://store.liverpoolfc.tv/products/footballkit/awaykit/awayadultkit/adult-away-shirt-07/pid-24144

linky no worky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

jonny24ie wrote: »

Its being replaced again in the summer though isn't it?

Which probably explains why they're getting rid of them so cheaply

Nice price! How much is postage ? Ive always liked that away white kit.

[edit] Including delivery it works out at 40 euro which isn't as good as I thought. Still good though. They are about 50 in shops over here aren't they ? Its 20 euro extra to get a name & number on the back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Stekelly wrote: »
    linky no worky

Sorry fixed now.

57 euro with a name and number, damn sterling. i think i'll hang on till the go cheap in the shops.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    57 euro with a name and number, damn sterling. i think i'll hang on till the go cheap in the shops.

Think of the loans - how on earth are we going to pay off those loans with that kind of attitude :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

How much do they go down to in the shops ?

edit-Dont wanna waste valuable space on this thread or Mike will come after me! ;)

round 35/40 euro i hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Think of the loans - how on earth are we going to pay off those loans with that kind of attitude :rolleyes:

Its not just that, as found by RAWK this evening, big Tom gives an interview, and says that profits made by Liverpool will be ploughed into the baseball team.

Loverly....

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?vid=7789&_mp=1&w=2007/open/teams07/tex/video/061907_tex_hicks_ownwords_400.wmv

Sorry, but in terms of the original deal in relation to DIC, wasn't the reason for rejection that DIC as a company are generally seen as asset strippers, who will abuse the situation to its fullest and then move on?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement