Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr Alan that was posted about 3/4 pages back!

PHB the reason DIC were rejected had less to do with supposed asset stripping (a story floated by Mihir Bose) and more to do with DIC wishing to clear out the board so Parry would have been out of a job.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2006/12/27/sfnliv27.xml

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Hicks is the most unbelievable pompus fat texan clown i've ever seen in my life. we need to get rid of him asap.

Love to see rafa beat him to a pulp in the middle of Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Ollie Kay's latest
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3221890.ece
    The picture painted by Hicks’s statement is unrealistic, with sources in his camp indicating that informal negotiations are taking place with DIC. There have been many conversations between the two parties for the past fortnight, most recently on Saturday, but DIC is understood to be concerned by Hicks’s approach, sensing that the Texan has no intention of selling unless he and Gillett make a huge profit. Their initial proposal � not a formal offer � was dismissed out of hand, with the parties poles apart in their valuation of the club.

So Hicks is saying they've not had an offer not mind accepted one which is probably true - but that doesn't mean they're not talking to DIC.

At what point will they need to go back and borrow more ? Presumably this 350m is just to pay off the previous 220m (purchase of club + debt). That only leaves 130m for the stadium which won't exactly get it anywhere near to finished. Can probably expect them to go back this time next year looking to refinance the lot for 500m.

PHB wrote: »
    Sorry, but in terms of the original deal in relation to DIC, wasn't the reason for rejection that DIC as a company are generally seen as asset strippers, who will abuse the situation to its fullest and then move on?

No, not at all, the board wanted more time when the Hicks/Gillette bid came in and DIC weren't happy about that, felt it disrespectful as the deal was pretty much done and dusted.

Then when the Hicks/Gillette proposal was accepted, it was leaked that DIC had an "exit plan" on how to get out of the club within 8 years if it all went tits up.

Pretty sure anyone investing hundreds of millions into anything is gonna have an exit plan in case things dont work out.

*sorry mike, didnt see that.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No, not at all, the board wanted more time when the Hicks/Gillette bid came in and DIC weren't happy about that, felt it disrespectful as the deal was pretty much done and dusted.

Was a bit more to it than that apparently. The deal with DIC had been more or less verbally agreed (yeah - I know .. not worth the paper it's written on). Then G&H came in at the last minute with the higher bid and the board supposedly went back to DIC telling them the decision was being delayed because of the new offer and asking them to match or improve on it. The board was right to do that - it was their duty to fully explore all bids. DIC were just a bit pissed at this stage but it's not overly clear why - was it because they'd more or less agreed the deal and for Moores/the board to entertain DIC was them going back on their word ? Or because they felt they were now being played off against G&H ? Or ... Anyways - they gave the board an ultimatum - 12 or 24 hours to accept or else they withdraw their offer. Various reports that someone (*cough*Parry*cough*) had been feeding documents for DICs due diligence to G&H to allow them complete their own due diligence quicker and other similar crap certainly wouldn't have helped.

EDIT: I'm sure I'm missing something in there but that's close as I remember the events atm.

I just find it unbelievable that these lads could even get that far, Hicks has already destroyed two football clubs and if i'm not mistaken they have been bankrupt twice!?

we all fell for their yankee charm hook line and sinker :(

hope tomorrow is explosive, pissed off i aint there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

dont know if this has been posted but they interview a football accountant,who describes the financial situation very well and explains

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/sportsweek/sportsweek_20080120-1104.mp3

its about a minute in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i wouldn't read too much into Hicks' denials just yet. As others have said he is hardly going to come out and admit he wants to sell. DIC are offering what looks like a tidy profit for little work and no cash from his own pocket.

That interview gives quite a good insight into Hicks. The baseball adventure seems to be going tits up sounds like the Soccer one is going the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

villa tonight...a must win game with everton winning yesterday and city moving ahead aswell.

will rafa start crouch..i think he should with babel on the left.

its gonna be a tough game against a very well organised Villa side.

opinions?

We gotta win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

prendy wrote: »
    opinions?

Im not looking forward to this at all and its down to one simple thing, our home form has been brutal this season. Utd have won 11 at home, Arsenal 10, Chelsea 7, Everton 7, Man City 9 and then Liverpool - 4. I dont know what it is this season. Usually we cant be faulted at home, bar the odd slip up, but this year has been terrible.

Nothing much new from Tony Barret. DIC are meeting with RBS with a view to a formal bid (yes they'll borrow too) but unlikely to pay above 350m. Hicks' denials are just him playing hardball which was always a possibility.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/01/21/farce-that-s-so-damaging-100252-20374973/

On tonight Rafa has suggested Skrtel is ready and could make his debut - expect him on the bench at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I've kept only half an eye on the Liverpool ownership scandal, but I read about the DIC "bid" in the Times today. Can somebody explain to me why DIC would pay almost a 1/3 again for something that surely has not increased in value (only debt) over the last 18 months? Is football club valuation that unreliable? With the world economy slowing, I don't understand how LFC could (according to Hicks apparent valuation) have almost doubled in value?

According to the Article, the owners are holding out looking for a big profit. Does this mean, I can write a check for 1 billion pounds (which I don't have) buy Man Utd, run it badly for a while trying to move my debt on to the clubs books, and when I find myself sinking on financial quick sand (i.e. when my check bounces clear into orbit), I can sell it to an Arab for 1.5 billion, and pocket the surplus?

Or maybe Crouch has been revalued at £200mil :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

theCzar wrote: »
    can sell it to an Arab for 1.5 billion, and pocket the surplus?

Maybe he is, if newcastle come a knockin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

theCzar wrote: »
    I've kept only half an eye on the Liverpool ownership scandal, but I read about the DIC "bid" in the Times today. Can somebody explain to me why DIC would pay almost a 1/3 again for something that surely has not increased in value (only debt) over the last 18 months? Is football club valuation that unreliable? With the world economy slowing, I don't understand how LFC could (according to Hicks apparent valuation) have almost doubled in value?

According to the Article, the owners are holding out looking for a big profit. Does this mean, I can write a check for 1 billion pounds (which I don't have) buy Man Utd, run it badly for a while trying to move my debt on to the clubs books, and when I find myself sinking on financial quick sand (i.e. when my check bounces clear into orbit), I can sell it to an Arab for 1.5 billion, and pocket the surplus?

Theoretically, yes! If you had the financial clout to secure such a loan in the first place, that is. It seems as if DIC are keen on buying G&H out, so why wouldn't G&H hold off and see how much they could get out of the deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi All
    Click Here to have your say and sign a petition to have Hicks and Gillet sell up. If you are a fan please sign and pass onto as many people as you know.

BBC, Sky Sports and Setamta, Liverpool Echo & Chris Bascombe have all been email and if enough people sign we can get some air time and let these fools know what the fans think.

It's worth a shot to stop us becoming a Newcastle or worse still Leeds????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

BrookieD wrote: »
    Hi All
    Click Here to have your say and sign a petition to have Hicks and Gillet sell up.....
    DONE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

BrookieD wrote: »
    Hi All
    Click Here

Link wasn't correct See here

I don't particularly like the idea of Hicks making a massive profit after the way he's handled the club but I suppose thats DICs problem and we should just be grateful to be well rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

yom 1 wrote: »
    Im not looking forward to this at all and its down to one simple thing, our home form has been brutal this season. Utd have won 11 at home, Arsenal 10, Chelsea 7, Everton 7, Man City 9 and then Liverpool - 4. I dont know what it is this season. Usually we cant be faulted at home, bar the odd slip up, but this year has been terrible.

well, conversely we can hope to continue our good away form and get decent results against united, chelsea and arsenal. 7 points at least :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

sweetie wrote: »
    well, conversely we can hope to continue our good away form and get decent results against united, chelsea and arsenal. 7 points at least :D

12 teams with more home points - even Sunderland :eek:
    these are the only ones worse
    West Ham
    Portsmouth
    Wigan
    Birmingham
    Fulham
    Middlesbrough
    Derby

Shocking stat :(

Some year we'll get em both together, home and away and then the rest of the league better watch out! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

our home form has been very poor, but we really should win all our remaining home games.

I'd go for this team tonight:

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Hyypia
    Arbeloa

Pennant
    Mascherano
    Gerrard
    Kewell

Kuyt
    Torres

Tough one leaving Babel out, but I think he'll be more effective in the last 30 minutes, and Kewell hasn't had a start in a while. I'm going to persist with Kuyt. I believe he'll come good. Skrtel can play against H&W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

can anyone point me in the right direction for a live stream of the game tonight? I dont have any access to setanta tonight so ne help would be good thanks

If kuyt starts I'll be pissed off.

Mike.

Kuyt didn't start either of the last two games - I guess that means he's due a start and mike will be pissed off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

joe123 wrote: »
    can anyone point me in the right direction for a live stream of the game tonight? I dont have any access to setanta tonight so ne help would be good thanks

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=5042&part=sports

Damn! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

possibly because hes in effective, and em ****e?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

kryogen wrote: »

Thats bull****. Pennant is probably our best option on the right (not including Gerrard). Theres not much between him & Benayoun. Pennant was one of our best players last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Well thats cleared that up then lol :D

There's a place called effective ? Whereabouts is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.Dont play Pennant.

I thought he looked sharp against Luton last week. I know it was Luton but I I think we should play him on the right, with Crouch partnering Torres

I dont like Pennant because he doesn't do enough as a winger. He cannot cross very well, doesn't get into the box enough and cannot go past other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont like Pennant because he doesn't do enough as a winger. He cannot cross very well, doesn't get into the box enough and cannot go past other players.

Fair enough about the second 2 at times (though he has started improving with coming inside), but he's probably the best crosser of the ball at the club...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    but he's probably the best crosser of the ball at the club...

except for Aurellio of course!

Finnan would be a much better crosser in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Gerrard is an amazing crosser of the ball

He's rubbish at corners though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pity he forgets when he goes to take a corner.

He can put a good cross in when he whips it. Other than that it's much of a muchness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

We're gonna beat yiz tonite :D

Nuh Huh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Savman wrote: »

Fancy a bet ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Savman wrote: »

i can see a hammering tbh,hope thats doesnt jinx us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The team in full: Reina, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Hyypia, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Benayoun, Kewell, Torres, Kuyt. Subs: Itandje, Alonso, Crouch, Babel, Skrtel.

Sorry Mike!

Told ya mike was going to be pissed off :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I find it odd he is sticking with Hyypia instead of Skrtel, especially with the pace Villa have up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pretty happy with that team, would probably prefer crouch starting, but at least he's on the bench. I'll be expecting the usual electric Babel introduction with a half hour to go as well.

Villa would be a very tough introduction for Skrtel. Much better to leave that for the H&W game. Hypia and Cara at least know each others games, as well as the fact that Skrtel is a right sided player, so Cara would have to play out of position to accomadate him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Not happy with Benayoun starting :(

Hope we can turn things around tonight and get a win...then we can push for the title ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement