Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

dc69 banned for one week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Exactly. We're just not clinical enough. Too many average players. And - I'm afraid to say - an average manager.

The worst thing to happen to Benitez - in my opinion - was winning the Chumpions League in his first season in charge. The guy thinks he's invincible.

wow.

La Liga x 2
    Champions League winner & runners up
    Uefa Cup
    FA Cup
    European Super Cup
    Community Shield

Sorry Rafa, apperantly youre an average manager according to some chap called 'Mental Mickey' on an Irish message board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh dear Gerrard won't be poular with the owners thats the first time a player or manager has spoken out is it?

By the way as I said in the Villa thread part of me thinks we robbed you for a point but if Gabby had passed to ReoCooker we could have been 3-1 up.

Liverpool are our bogey team and a point at Anfield is good, sadly for Liverpool its wasn't Villa's good play but Liverpools inability to kill a game off and defend that has cost them. Few positives for us apart from the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Interesting post match interview there with Stevey G. He obviously knew he would be asked about the off field stuff and I think he knew exactly what he was going to say.

Comments like this can only fuel the fans and galvanise them against the owners, but can it actually make a difference? I liked his comment that 'he needs to be careful what he says'.... surely a vote of confidence towards Rafa... no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Until he wins the Premiership, Liverpool fans will not be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What did he say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

What did Gerrard say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Until he wins the Premiership, Liverpool fans will not be happy.

no ? Did you not hear Liverpool fans singing his name in this game and every other game this season ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

"all the behind the scene's stuff isn't helping.
    He has to be careful what he says.
    It's going on everyday at the club."

Villain wrote: »
    Oh dear Gerrard won't be poular with the owners thats the first time a player or manager has spoken out is it?

By the way as I said in the Villa thread part of me thinks we robbed you for a point but if Gabby had passed to ReoCooker we could have been 3-1 up.

Liverpool are our bogey team and a point at Anfield is good, sadly for Liverpool its wasn't Villa's good play but Liverpools inability to kill a game off and defend that has cost them. Few positives for us apart from the point.

That's been Liverpool's problem for a lot of this season!! Inability to finish off teams, that we should be beating.

• Advertisement

He said that events off the pitch aren't helping the team at all and it is affecting them with it going on every day for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

What did Gerrard say?

Broad strokes.... Asked if off field is effecting performances he replied that is was.... and would continue to effect performances whilst it continued. He said he needed to be careful what he says.... obviously! He didn't dodge the question and expressed that it has been going on for a long time over and above just this weeks episode.

Tusky wrote: »
    no ? Did you not hear Liverpool fans singing his name in this game and every other game this season ?

I didn't see this game, cos our NTL box(b******s) is on the blink. In some games this season, the fans were quite rightly booing Rafa and our players. The fact of the matter is, Liverpool fans will not be satisfied until we win the Premiership, and sadly, I don't think Rafa is the man to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

here's Rafa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Where are Setanta based? I'm going toburn down their HQ if I have to watch ads made for €10 and listen to that bloody Dominos ad were the guy say "Toyme" again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

That's been Liverpool's problem for a lot of this season!! Inability to finish off teams, that we should be beating.

Not just this season. Its been going on for a while now.

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Not just this season. Its been going on for a while now.

At last - someone else who sees sense. I wish some Liverpool fans would stop living in the past, and start realising that we just aren't good enough at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We know we're not good enough. But at least we still support the team, all ive seen from you is negative posts with regards to the team. Why do you bother?

Melion wrote: »
    We know we're not good enough. But at least we still support the team, all ive seen from you is negative posts with regards to the team. Why do you bother?

I bother cos I've supported the team since I was a kid. And yes, like other fans, I do want them to win the Premiership. I just don't see it happening under Rafa Benitez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did Rafa say we controlled the game? Sounds like Gerrard was barely at the races. I said Yossi should not be on the wing. ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Any idea if there is any truth to the Rumour that Riise is Villa bound? liverpool said he wasnt injured yet he was omitted from the entire squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

very interesting Gerrard interview.

what did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

i only started watching the man after about 50 mins and I didnt even know Gerrard was playing till the last 10 mins

I bother cos I've supported the team since I was a kid. And yes, like other fans, I do want them to win the Premiership. I just don't see it happening under Rafa Benitez.

Well then how about getting behind the team and the manager like proper fans should do.
    Out of interest, if you had been at Anfield tonight would you have given out and shouted "Rafa Out" when the rest of the stadium were chanting his name?

mike65 wrote: »
    Did Rafa say we controlled the game? Sounds like Gerrard was barely at the races. I said Yossi should not be on the wing. ;)

Mike.

Rafa has said that many times before, when it was obvious that we did NOT control games.

He's beginning to sound like one Gerard Houllier. I'm afraid I can only see Rafa heading for the exit door at the end of this season.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

At last - someone else who sees sense. I wish some Liverpool fans would stop living in the past, and start realising that we just aren't good enough at the moment.

Don't assume that just because I agree with one statement means I agree with every(or any)thing else you've posted.

Most Liverpool fans agree that we're not good enough right now. I don't think Rafa should be fired though.

Any idea if there is any truth to the Rumour that Riise is Villa bound? liverpool said he wasnt injured yet he was omitted from the entire squad.

Villa representative was questioned about it and replied "Why would we sign another left back?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Exactly. We're just not clinical enough. Too many average players. And - I'm afraid to say - an average manager.

The worst thing to happen to Benitez - in my opinion - was winning the Chumpions League in his first season in charge. The guy thinks he's invincible.

I suppose that's a misspelling and not a play on words when you write 'chumpions'. Who calls it the Chumpions league? Not Villa fans with their best achievement being winning it. Not Celtic fans whose Legendary Lions won this as a crown to winning everything. Not Manchester United fans whose two best achievements were their two excellent victories in it. Not Forest fans who retained it in the Clough glory years. Certainly not Liverpool fans. As a non-English-born Liverpool fan I rate our European record way higher than our ascendant domestic record. The miracle of Istanbul has made Rafa bullet-proof, of course it has. If Mick McCarthy or Eddie O'Sullivan had won the world cup they'd be Irish royalty. Rafa's team will come good in the league, but probably not this year:(

With no disrespect to your opinion, Rafa's glorious triumph in Istanbul at his first attempt may have been the worst thing to happen to him, but it was one of the best things to happen for Liverpool fans and indeed fans of any sport or sport in general. (Possibly a bit close to the bone for rival English fans though)

Melion wrote: »
    Well then how about getting behind the team and the manager like proper fans should do. Out of interest, if you had been at Anfield tonight would you have given out and shouted "Rafa Out" when the rest of the stadium were chanting his name?

Proper fans? LOL. I'd love him to succeed, but I just dont think he's going to.....?

Look, we could argue about this all night. Unlike you, I don't think Rafa will be the man to guide Liverpool to the Premiership title. That's all I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

shouldn't be in the team. He was useless.

oobydooby wrote: »
    I suppose that's a misspelling and not a play on words when you write 'chumpions'. Who calls it the Chumpions league? Not Villa fans with their best achievement being winning it. Not Celtic fans whose Legendary Lions won this as a crown to winning everything. Not Manchester United fans whose two best achievements were their two excellent victories in it. Not Forest fans who retained it in the Clough glory years. Certainly not Liverpool fans. As a non-English-born Liverpool fan I rate our European record way higher than our ascendant domestic record. The miracle of Istanbul has made Rafa bullet-proof, of course it has. If Mick McCarthy or Eddie O'Sullivan had won the world cup they'd be Irish royalty. Rafa's team will come good in the league, but probably not this year:(

With no disrespect to your opinion, Rafa's glorious triumph in Istanbul at his first attempt may have been the worst thing to happen to him, but it was one of the best things to happen for Liverpool fans and indeed fans of any sport or sport in general. (Possibly a bit close to the bone for rival English fans though)

The term "Chumpions" was meant as a joke. Jesus H Christ. Football is only a game for f**ks sake. It's not a life or death situation.

Don't get me wrong, like all Liverpool fans, I enjoyed the success in Istanbul, but I stand by what I said - I don't think Rafa will bring the Premiership to Anfield.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Has no1 else noticed the blatant handball from Carragher in the assist to Crouch?

DSB wrote: »
    Has no1 else noticed the blatant handball from Carragher in the assist to Crouch?
    DSB he didn't even know it had hit him to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Proper fans? LOL. I'd love him to succeed, but I just dont think he's going to.....?

Look, we could argue about this all night. Unlike you, I don't think Rafa will be the man to guide Liverpool to the Premiership title. That's all I'm saying.

You're the type of fan that thinks a manager can just wave a magic wand and win things after walking into the club. I know Rafa has been here for 3 years but it's a building process not a miracle. Give him his 5 years and let him totally run the club, then if after he has put his stamp on the club and we're not winning things we judge him. He needs to be backed by the club not the crap that's going on at the minute.
    I would compare Rafa to Wenger if Arsenal dump him for not winning things early on then they'd be a far cry from there current position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Kuyt, £1000 in his pocket, Brothel, no score.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote: »

Jazzy, I gotta stop predicting that Liverpool could pull it back :P

no, please... be my guest :D

Villain wrote: »
    DSB he didn't even know it had hit him to be fair.

It still put the ball on a plate for the goal so it has to be given really. O'Neill was visibly livid about it when it happened. Strange that the pundits didn't pay too much attention to it. Probably because of Laursen's error. But in my opinion the same thing has happened to us that happened to Everton with that dodgy ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Kuyt either needs glasses or a big feck off neon sign pointing at the goal to give him some idea which direction he needs to shoot. And his first touch is so bad at times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So the battle for 4th place gets more interesting.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ROFL @ Mental Mickey, madcap points of view based on a game he didn't even watch :D

Anyhoo, Villa didn't give a good showing of themselves tonight, but I never doubted MON's ability to pull something out of his sleeve. That something was Marlon Harewood. Never thought I'd say that.

Few observations: that Liverpool side is not Premiership winning material, IMHO of course. I got castrated on here before for suggesting Mascherano wasn't worth £17m, well he's not, sorry. ReoCoker had a monster game tonight and he cost half that.

You can say you should be beating "teams like Villa" all you want
    but the fact remains we're level on points along with Man City and as they say the league table never lies. I do think Rafa is as good as gone, would be surprised if he lasted the month let alone the season.

So, happy with the away point, frustrating that an uncharacteristic defensive error cost us the 3pts but I can't honestly say we would've deserved it. For a team lacking our main man Barry and Carson, I'll take the point and run thank you very much.

Not looking for an argument, just view from the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Savman wrote: »
    I got castrated on here before for suggesting Mascherano wasn't worth £17m, well he's not, sorry. ReoCoker had a monster game tonight and he cost half that.

were you watching the same game? there was no way reo-coker was better than masch...

Mascherano shouldn't even have stayed on the pitch. Definite foul towards the end which the referee didn't blow for simply because he knew he would have had to send him off if he did. Refereeing was a joke, blatantly in favour of Liverpool.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    were you watching the same game? there was no way reo-coker was better than masch...
    FFS :mad:

Please show me WHERE I said one player was better than the other? Read the post for christ sake, it was a basic comparison to show why I think Mascherano, great player that he is, is just valued too high. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

can liverpool realistically afford not to sack benitez now at this stage?

regardless of whether you win the champions league, if you dont finish 4th you wont be in it next season, and the way the team is playing at the moment thats a very real possibility

Helix wrote: »

regardless of whether you win the champions league, if you dont finish 4th you wont be in it next season, and the way the team is playing at the moment thats a very real possibility
    That's a fair point actually, they face stiff competition for 4th place. I think the club & its fans know this though, the pressure must be immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

They could win it which gets them in it. You would be a brave man to say they can't with Benitez's record in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

? The winners get a place. It was set in stone after the English FA didnt follow precident last time and give Liverpool the 4th spot.

Unearthly wrote: »
    They could win it which gets them in it. You would be a brave man to say they can't with Benitez's record in Europe.

winning it doesnt get them into it

They're 1 of a good few teams in with a real chance of winning it though. Can't be relying on that with league form this ****. If it wasn't for refereeing decisions Liverpool wouldn't even have come away with a point tonight.

Stekelly wrote: »
    ? The winners get a place. It was set in stone after the English FA didnt follow precident last time and give Liverpool the 4th spot.

no it was set in stone that if it happened again 4th place got it, and the winners didnt qualify if i remember correctly

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement