Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Call_me_al wrote:
    that wasn't aimed at you, get over yourself. The poster I responded to claimed Man Utd had won the league in Fergies first four years, so i presumed he was a glory hunter with no knowledge of the club before he started supporting them. happy?
    Nailz wrote:
    No I didn't, show me were I claimed this ****... Or do you only read what you want to?

em ok...
    Call_me_al wrote: »
    One last stat in Fergies first 4 years he had an average of 1.49 points a game, 0.3 less than Rafa at the same stage.
    Nailz wrote: »
    And yet we can still win the League while getting less points then you??? Well thats great! :rolleyes:

Seems like you;re the one reading what you want to, so how about you get lost now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Stekelly wrote: »
    TBh I know its not an option but it was more to do with the point about players doing well when they leave.

There can often be a big club syndrome ie players being overawed by the expectations of a big club, and finding a smaller club where there is less pressure and expectations more to their liking. See Friedel for example who was a bit of a disaster for us, went to Blackburn and turned out great.

Warnock was ok, and better than Riise this season, but I don't think there's anyone that would claim that he's a top 4 team player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not too many have really done that well since they left either tbh. Warnock is doing decent. Morientes unsurprisingly did well since he went back to what he was familier with. Cisse and Baros have both gone downhill. Even Pongolle since we actually sold him has largely stopped scoring. Gonzalez isn't doing great now either. Cant think of any standout success stories of leavers, bar Friedel, unless you count Anelka. Kirkland is doing alright, no better then when he was at Anfield though, just made of glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Cisse and Baros have both gone downhill..

I would say they were never up the hill to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yeah but it is easier to fall, even down a small incline, when you run everywhere with your head down.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I would say they were never up the hill to begin with.

Thats true, but still both worse off then when we had em. Baros we got as a kid and i think he more then contributed before we moved him on. Only really had a half a bad season for us (the first half of his final season he was great!). Cisse had a quality record before he joined us, didn't do great with us, but at least he scored a lot of goals, now he's not even doing that so much..

I was thinking recently about our goalkeepers leaving us and going on to do well. What i came up with was at Liverpool these keepers would only be tested maybe 2/3 times in a lot of games and the mental resolve it would take to stay 100% on your toes for 90mins of doing nothing was maybe too much for them.

So when the move to a lower club where they are making 6-8 saves a game they dont need that level of concentration as they dont get 'bored', so they perform better?

Just a thought i had...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I was thinking recently about our goalkeepers leaving us and going on to do well. What i came up with was at Liverpool these keepers would only be tested maybe 2/3 times in a lot of games and the mental resolve it would take to stay 100% on your toes for 90mins of doing nothing was maybe too much for them.

So when the move to a lower club where they are making 6-8 saves a game they dont need that level of concentration as they dont get 'bored', so they perform better?

Just a thought i had...

Could also have been that Joe Corrigan was the goal keeping coach

Wasn't highly thought of outside the corridors of management as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Did Voronin break his leg in training? Can't say I'll miss him. He's not even worth a free transfer, I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I see Lucas has been called up for the Brazil squad for the Irish game next month.
    On the story with Sami leaving Anfield, I doubt it, he's had a great season so far, he maybe in his twilight years, but he's been great. If we didn't have him we be rightly fcked ,with Agger out.
    I'm sure Sami's realised over the last few seasons[with the arrival of Agger] he wouldn't be playin' as much, but with the injury to Agger, Rafa has had no choice and Sami has stepped up to the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Fergie talking sense in relation to Liverpool - hard to believe isn't it
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article3241461.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Voronin only missing one game, as for SAF I know, its a shocker! Managers circle thier wagons at time like this, they all know they are at the mercy of owners.

Mike.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I see Lucas has been called up for the Brazil squad for the Irish game next month.
    On the story with Sami leaving Anfield, I doubt it, he's had a great season so far, he maybe in his twilight years, but he's been great. If we didn't have him we be rightly fcked ,with Agger out.
    I'm sure Sami's realised over the last few seasons[with the arrival of Agger] he wouldn't be playin' as much, but with the injury to Agger, Rafa has had no choice and Sami has stepped up to the mark.

I hope he moves into coaching for us instead of leaving, i'd say he could teach the newbies a thing or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

that wasn't aimed at you, get over yourself. The poster I responded to claimed Man Utd had won the league in Fergies first four years, so i presumed he was a glory hunter with no knowledge of the club before he started supporting them. happy?

happier :)

i didnt take it as it being directed at me, i said it riled me!

zing wrote: »
    Fergie talking sense in relation to Liverpool - hard to believe isn't it
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article3241461.ece

i didnt know rafa had contacted the LMA doesnt sound like a good situation at all (well obviously but the fact that he's been on to his union says he's just waiting for the boot, i can imagine the advice was if you dont quit you get lots of money...)

Fergie is right why would a player sign for us with all this turmoil. If Rafa stays through the summer it might be difficult to get players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd wouldnt read so much into the LMA thing. I'd imagine they are in contact with all their managers alot. And I don't think that Rafa was ringing them in the middle of the night crying cause he might lose his job. More likely they gave him a call when the situation started to let him know they were available if he needed them.

Some rumours around of Gudjohnson coming in on loan until the end of the season with an option to buy in the summer. Unlikely, but would be an excellent signing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Seems like you;re the one reading what you want to, so how about you get lost now....
    Sorry didn't notice first four years... We had a team on the verge of relegation before Fergie took over, which means we didn't have an excellent squad and Rafa took over a 4th place team...
    Mmm, so I was right... you do only read what you want to..:rolleyes:

Mmm, so I was right... you do only read what you want to..:rolleyes:

yes but you corrected yourself after i made the post you have a problem with, i am not psychic.... lets leave it there....

Okay then, you missed that post and misread one of your posts fair play mate. No hard feelings?

• Advertisement

Hold on a sec nailz, its actually yourself who seems to have been readin wat you want in here, pretty much every point you have made has been rubbished, but somehow you are still arguing and claiming to be right?!. Dont be so smug.

How am I being smug? I just apoligised for misreading the message... I don't think thats being smug.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/7205168.stm

Imagine how dissapointed you would be. But a suspension is a suspension.

£9m for Momo by the looks of it. Good business and if that can then be plowed straight towards securring Masch then even better..
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/01/24/liverpool-move-step-closer-to-momo-sissoko-juventus-sale-100252-20389403/

I thought we were selling hobbs for a moment :eek: - had to reread that!!!

9m is great business. Thank you Claudio! He'll probably go on to become like Viera now, sigh!

Yeah thats pure unlucky, could have been one of the biggest games he could play in... but a game he would have been suspended for being postponed, thats hateful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/7205168.stm

Imagine how dissapointed you would be. But a suspension is a suspension.

Poor guy, feel really bad for him.:(

The Sissoko cash pays for Skrtle so there will be at best a couple of million left over, could buy his right leg maybe.

More seriously, aparently the Masch deal can be done in two stages, so the excess could be used as part payment in January then Liverpool would be more or less compelled to complete in the summer.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Are we definately awaiting an announcement today regarding the refinancing and new stadium? Or is it likely to drag on further?

I was thinking about the new stadium and when the plans for the stadium were announced last summer. Everybody was so well receiving of them and loved the design and the prospect of what lay in store. I reckon that if it is G&H that are still at the helm when unveiling the new design that fans will not be as welcoming or embrace the design like they did last summer because of what has gone on since then.

mike65 wrote: »
    The Sissoko cash pays for Skrtle so there will be at best a couple of million left over, could buy his right leg maybe.

More seriously, aparently the Masch deal can be done in two stages, so the excess could be used as part payment in January then Liverpool would be more or less compelled to complete in the summer.

Mike.

i heard we could pay it over 12 mths. the upsetting thing is the interest we are gonna pay on the loan for the 45m in the summer would probably pay for half of masch.

Either way if the money starts moving towards buying Masch before Jan 31 then he should be secured (phew) as even if an offer is made by Milan or whoever Liverpool still have the first option.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

please god may we not **** up and sign mascherano :)

unless we are being run by ppl who sit around with no idea about football and just spend all day slapping their hands against their heads going "D'oh! D'oh! D'oh!"

hang on a minute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

mike65 wrote: »
    Either way if the money starts moving towards buying Masch before Jan 31 then he should be secured (phew) as even if an offer is made by Milan or whoever Liverpool still have the first option.

Mike.

do you really think it matters that Liverpool apparently have first option. The guy that owns him is so crooked he would possibly sell him to whoever pays the most.

kida wrote:
    do you really think it matters that Liverpool apparently have first option. The guy that owns him is so crooked he would possibly sell him to whoever pays the most.

Well its tied into his loan deal that if we choose to make it permanent, we pay 17mill and thats it, he's ours. so yeah it does matter.

yom 1 wrote: »
    Are we definately awaiting an announcement today regarding the refinancing and new stadium? Or is it likely to drag on further?
    Unlikely to be today. Some reports saying it could take until Monday. They've promised it by the 'end of the week' for a couple of weeks now and that it keeps dragging on suggests it's not gone as easily as they'd originally hoped.
    I was thinking about the new stadium and when the plans for the stadium were announced last summer. Everybody was so well receiving of them and loved the design and the prospect of what lay in store. I reckon that if it is G&H that are still at the helm when unveiling the new design that fans will not be as welcoming or embrace the design like they did last summer because of what has gone on since then.
    Indeed. On HKS design that was revealed last summer - Hicks was apparently advised not to reveal it when he did due to market uncertainty's but chose to do so anyway. It was an amazing looking design and I do hope the soon to be newly revealed design doesn't detract from it too much (assuming they go with the new HKS design). If they can stick very close to it then planning should be a formality but if it's a full redesign then it's back down the planning route all over again.

I think it matters that Liverpool have first option.

And also that Mascherano has said he wants to stay. Long as we are willing to pay watever fee was agree when the loan deal was initially drawn up (i dont believe its 17million).

Why do you think this would be honoured if say Barca offered more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

kida wrote: »

Im sure its in the loan deal that we have first option, it has to be honoured

Melion wrote: »
    Im sure its in the loan deal that we have first option, it has to be honoured

MSI have no exactly proven to be the most honourabe of people. Do you not think if a much larger offer came in that they would do their utmost to wriggle out of it.

kida wrote: »

Because contracts are legally binding?:confused:

Kida:let me guess, Tevezs loan agreement is "iron-clad"right?!seriously, you're making a issue out of something that isnt.

The contract for that loan deal is probably no different from many other player contracts. It apparently has an option giving us first refusal (which again is common) and probably also sets deadlines by which we must a) formally indicate our intention to sign him permanently and b) put a formal full time contract in front of him.

Kia & the rest of the MSI guys would no doubt try to wrangle their way out of each and every contract their players sign but this particular contract supposedly got the full going over by the Premier League in light of the West Ham mess so it *should* all be fairly standard stuff.

• Advertisement

Gazetta de la Sport report Sissoko deal is done for wait for it...... €13m! Thats £9.7 million! :eek: Good piece of business. 11 million is immediate the rest depends on a certain number of games played.

Mike.

Haha - that deal gets better by the hour. By this evening we'll have enough to pay the loan repayments for the first year

mike65 wrote:
    Gazetta de la Sport report Sissoko deal is done for wait for it...... €13m! Thats £9.7 million! :eek: Good piece of business. 11 million is immediate the rest depends on a certain number of games played.

Mike.

Good man Rafa ya crafty bugger! Maybe Rick has also been spurred into actually doing some work by the guilt of having backed the yanks.

If Rick's been involved we're probably paying them €13m

Okay then, you missed that post and misread one of your posts fair play mate. No hard feelings?

yes. that is smug. in fact any post post ive read from you over the past 7/8 pages has been laced in a liquefied layer of smug.

i dont mind fans of other teams posting in here, in fact i would encourage it... but when its done with this veil of smug superiority you have to wonder what gap these ppl are trying to fill :)

and as for the masch to juve thing... ffs!!! a quality player WE NEED is slipping through our fingers and laurel and hardy over in the US don't give a sh1te. fergie is right in his comments today. LFC is becoming a very unfunny joke

Wat ya mean Masch to Juve? I thought they just bought Sissoko?!

Wouldnt read anything into that. Says he wants to stay in Liverpool, and would like to go in the same article, obviously means that if Liverpool dont want him and he cant stay there he'd like to go to some of the clubs that have been mentioned ie.Barca/Juve etc.

Cant hold that against him, wouldnt expect him to retire if we didnt want him ;)

Juve wont be bringing in Masch and Sissoko, so that pretty much rules that out straight away.

i dunno, i dont see why not.

the fact a deal hasnt been done is ridiculous tho. i mean how f'd up are things at the top atm ?

• Advertisement

Lost in translation methinks.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement